Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, we get your point, but your sensationalist approach greatly clouds any validity you have within your point. And I'll echo that your comparison of cycling infrastructure to Rosa Parks not only is further sensationalism, but an offensive, ignorant position, comparing a morally depraved situation to preferred and ideal civic design opinions. It's not the first time you've pulled out such an absurd reference on this thread, but again, you seem more hell bent on doing that and speaking your mind than you do of acknowledging that there's a partnership cyclists must also engage in. I say this as an avid cyclist who's well over the N+1 limit (N=the number of bikes your spouse is comfortable with and N+1 equalling the number of bikes at which your relationship may suffer...if they know that there's a +1).

Topics that a person cares about are always at a "critical juncture," and there's never enough satisfaction despite any progress. I can appreciate that, but it doesn't make the ability of bikes to travel on roadways as ominous as you make it out to be, or the relationship of governmental policy to cycling. In my area we have a lot of dialogue from the city, county, and state when planning new roadway infrastructure; new trails have been put in; large tracts of state forest have mountain bike trails that are endorsed by the natural resources department and they even groom trails for fat-bike cyclists in the winter, we have more bike lanes going in along new road construction than we ever have, and on and on. The fact of the matter is that you're reaching and making the problem out to be much greater than it is, making it out to be a sort of war on cyclists. That's not the case. Is it ideal? No. Should we advocate for improvement? Yep. Should we do our part to be good partners and improve the appetite for cyclists on shared roads? Absofuckinglutely.

Ninety5rpm wrote:

You guys are still thinking I'm missing your obvious point and are still missing my point entirely. Perhaps some context will help.

Cyclist advocacy in the United States is at a critical juncture. In the last 10 years a lot of progress has been made in the main effort to retain and expand recognition and acceptance of bicyclists as normal and reasonable traffic on roadways in the public right of way, and to broaden understanding of how full lane use improved safety and comfort in all kinds of traffic. We're just starting to see the first blossoms of all this work, but there are dark and ominous clouds on the horizon.

After about 10 years of efforts shared lane markings (sharrows) and bikes may use full lane signs finally were approved at the federal level (MUTCD) around 2008 and 2010 respectively (I might be off a few years - sorry). Since then states have started approving them and installing them. But it takes time for them to take effect. Many bicyclists still tend to cling to the edge of the road even in the presence of these things, and then wondering why they experience no difference from motorist behavior.

In the mean time the usual suspect are still doing everything they can to get bicyclists off the roads, including cooperating with the segregated infrastructure industrial complex whose latest boondoggle initiative is the rebranding and marketing of the side path as the so-called "protected bike lane".

It's from this perspective that it's difficult to see a cyclist criticized for his choice to use the full lane. Of course some motorists won't like it. But to say that's reason for him to get on the shoulder is like saying Rosa Parks should get on the back of the bus.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a skier for 37 years, a ski instructor, and a ski patroller, the guy in front has the right of way, but that doesn't stop a severe accident or even death when the guy in fronts suddenly cuts across the trail.

We have beginners that go 5 mph, we have racers that go 60+mph. Both exist on the same trail. Both with get my neck hair up. The vast majority survive the day without incident. However, when there's a severe accident, it's s bad day. A bad day for those injured. A bad day for the responders. A bad day for the on-lookers. A bad day for the insurance companies. A bad day for the accountants. A bad day for the victims families.

It doesn't just hurt the one person, but has an affect on a lot of people. That's one more story a mom hears and decides her kids never need to do such a dangerous sport.

All because the guy in front didn't look over his shoulder to see the faster skier coming before he decided to make a move. Or because the string of racers are coming down hot and the first guy sees the slow guy in front and makes a move out of the way, but the second, third, and fourth racer plow into slow guy because they didn't see him in time. Yeah, sure, someone's wrong and some ones right, but does it matter when I tell a mother and father their kid is no longer alive?

The racers weren't trying to kill the slow guy. They weren't daylight werewolves. They didn't have intentions to ruin a life.

If I was the first racer, I would have signaled to the others to go wide and I would pull up to slow guy and warn him that the race team is on this trail warming up and he might be better off on the side or on a different trail until the racers are off the trail.

As a patroller, I would warn both parties, but LEGALLY, the have the right to ski at their own speed. But it's still not the RIGHT thing to do.

Everyone, skiers, cyclists, motorists, pedestrians NEED to be aware and be DEFENSIVE. Risk as little as possible. If you risk a lot, then just be aware you can cause a lot of damage to yourself and others.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
I really don't care about arguing with you about your views on cycling but your reference to Rosa Parks and the civil rights struggle is highly offensive to all the people who sacrificed in that struggle and it trivializes the horrific nature of segregation to compare it to cycling in any way shape or form. You should apologize immediately to everyone who reads this thread and refrain from using it any further.

Joel

The lack of understanding and appreciation for analogy is sad.
Analogy is comparing the relationship of two things to the relationship of two other things. It doesn't suggest a similarity between the individual components.

For example, when I say 7/14 is like 13,000,000/26,000,000, I'm not saying that 26,000,000 is like 14.
Or earth/sun is like electron/nucleus is not saying the earth is like an electron.

Similarly, "saying 'get on the shoulder'" to "A cyclist in traffic lane" is like "saying 'get in the back of the bus'" to "Rosa Parks" is not suggesting the cyclist in the back of the bus is like Rosa Parks, and it's certainly not suggesting that the struggle for full lane rights is similar in importance to the civil rights struggle; they're as similar as 14 is to 26,000,000. But the analogy still fits. Perfectly.

Rosa Parks stood up to the bias and bigotry. Many people, even some people in the black community, were against her "making waves", which, whether you like it or not, is similar to people in the cycling community urging other cyclists to not "make waves" with motorists and favor cowering at the edge (or on the shoulder) over using the full lane.

Enough with the excuses to ignore and dismiss what we're saying.

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 27, 15 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
As a skier for 37 years, a ski instructor, and a ski patroller, the guy in front has the right of way, but that doesn't stop a severe accident or even death when the guy in fronts suddenly cuts across the trail.

We have beginners that go 5 mph, we have racers that go 60+mph. Both exist on the same trail. Both with get my neck hair up. The vast majority survive the day without incident. However, when there's a severe accident, it's s bad day. A bad day for those injured. A bad day for the responders. A bad day for the on-lookers. A bad day for the insurance companies. A bad day for the accountants. A bad day for the victims families.

It doesn't just hurt the one person, but has an affect on a lot of people. That's one more story a mom hears and decides her kids never need to do such a dangerous sport.

All because the guy in front didn't look over his shoulder to see the faster skier coming before he decided to make a move. Or because the string of racers are coming down hot and the first guy sees the slow guy in front and makes a move out of the way, but the second, third, and fourth racer plow into slow guy because they didn't see him in time. Yeah, sure, someone's wrong and some ones right, but does it matter when I tell a mother and father their kid is no longer alive?

The racers weren't trying to kill the slow guy. They weren't daylight werewolves. They didn't have intentions to ruin a life.

If I was the first racer, I would have signaled to the others to go wide and I would pull up to slow guy and warn him that the race team is on this trail warming up and he might be better off on the side or on a different trail until the racers are off the trail.

As a patroller, I would warn both parties, but LEGALLY, the have the right to ski at their own speed. But it's still not the RIGHT thing to do.

Everyone, skiers, cyclists, motorists, pedestrians NEED to be aware and be DEFENSIVE. Risk as little as possible. If you risk a lot, then just be aware you can cause a lot of damage to yourself and others.
Exactly. And that exactly what defaulting to full lane use, and following the rules of the road, including looking back before moving laterally, is all about.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
For example, when I say 7/14 is like 13,000,000/26,000,000, I'm not saying that 26,000,000 is like 14.
Or earth/sun is like electron/nucleus is not saying the earth is like an electron.

Similarly, "saying 'get on the shoulder'" to "A cyclist in traffic lane" is like "saying 'get in the back of the bus'" to "Rosa Parks" is not suggesting the cyclist in the back of the bus is like Rosa Parks, and it's certainly not suggesting that the struggle for full lane rights is similar in importance to the civil rights struggle; they're as similar as 14 is to 26,000,000. But the analogy still fits. Perfectly.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

Sorry. You probably did not do well on the analogy questions on the SAT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

As usual, you completely miss the point that others are making. No one is saying that it wasn't an analogy....they are saying it was a poor analogy and potentially offensive to some.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

You're absolutely correct; I never took the SAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? If that's the only analogy you could come up with than you probably lack the capacity to fully engage in dialogue. Surely there's a better analogy. You may want to, perhaps for the first time in your adult life, admit that you may have been wrong. It's impossible to take anything you say seriously otherwise.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
I really don't care about arguing with
you about your views on cycling but your reference to Rosa Parks and the civil rights struggle is highly offensive to all the people who sacrificed in that struggle and it trivializes the horrific nature of segregation to compare it to cycling in any way shape or form. You should apologize immediately to everyone who reads this thread and refrain from using it any further.

Joel

The lack of understanding and appreciation for analogy is sad.
Analogy is comparing the relationship of two things to the relationship of two other things. It doesn't suggest a similarity between the individual components.

Rosa Parks stood up to the bias and bigotry. Many people, even some people in the black community, were against her "making waves", which, whether you like it or not, is similar to people in the cycling community urging other cyclists to not "make waves" with motorists and favor cowering at the edge (or on the shoulder) over using the full lane.

Enough with the excuses to ignore and dismiss what we're saying.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are actually defending the use of an situation (Jim Crow) where an entire race of people were being subjugated because of the color of their skin by the government and society (she was actually violating a law) to a disagreement about cycling. You need to have a reality check and are at a very minimum insensitive and do not have a clue as to how offensive the use of Rosa Parks in this type of argument is. You in addition to the previous poster need to apologize and re-evaluate your conduct here.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't actually care what you are saying about cycling (I have never been involved in your argument about cycling nor do I care about it). You are being offensive when you use a situation concerning the wholesale subjugation of a entire race by the government and society in an argument about cycling. You are offensive and need to apologize for trivializing the sacrifice of Rosa Parks. You should be ashamed.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in reply to you Joel, I'm just blown away this thread is still ticking. I think the troll is full....
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
Not in reply to you Joel, I'm just blown away this thread is still ticking. I think the troll is full....

Almost.... to... 1,000 posts

C'mon guys! We can repeat ourselves a few more times again to reach that mythical goal
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

As usual, you completely miss the point that others are making. No one is saying that it wasn't an analogy....they are saying it was a poor analogy and potentially offensive to some.
But it's not a poor analogy. You have to twist and misunderstand the analogy to be offended by it. Don't get all sophistic on me and then blame me for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care if it is a poor analogy. It is an offensive statement and you should apologize for trivializing the oppression of an entire race of people.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the assumptions are critical. It is undisputed that the cyclist was honked at first by the motorist. What happened after that is disputed. None of us were there so we don't know.

I've maintained all along that I was not there so can't tell you what the cyclist should or should not have been doing. I have instead simply maintained that there are a number of facts and potential facts (i.e. variables) that might lead a reasonable cyclist to take the lane on that stretch of road. I don't know the status of the variables that particular morning, so I can't opine with certainty what the cyclist should have done . I do know that as between the two protagonists in our story, the cyclist had the benefit of prior experience riding that stretch of road and was in a better position to identify any hazards present that morning. Again, this is not dispositive, because we do not know in fact what hazards may or may not have been present at the time in question.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Almost.... to... 1,000 posts

C'mon guys! We can repeat ourselves a few more times again to reach that mythical goal

Mythical??? I was told #1000 would receive a pony. Why else would I put up with circular half-assed logic, Rosa Parks comparisons and circular half-assed logic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
I don't actually care what you are saying about cycling (I have never been involved in your argument about cycling nor do I care about it). You are being offensive when you use a situation concerning the wholesale subjugation of a entire race by the government and society in an argument about cycling. You are offensive and need to apologize for trivializing the sacrifice of Rosa Parks. You should be ashamed.

Joel

Anyone can choose to be offended by anything they want. That's not my fault. I did not intend offense.

Look at it this way. Picture Rosa Parks is on the bus deciding to sit at the front despite there being empty seats in the back of the bus. The bus is full of people who believe that's wrong and inappropriate. It angers them. They threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase white vs black animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, even though the law says otherwise. She persists.

Now how is that NOT similar to Rosa Bikes riding in the roadway despite there being a wide clean empty shoulder off to the side? Full of people (in cars) who believe that's wrong and inappropriate (actually, not nearly as many as you might imagine). Some threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase motorist vs cyclist animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, and the law backs her up. She persists.

Why do you support Rosa Parks but oppose Rosa Bikes?

Or would you rather dismiss the question as being offensive than answer it? Sometime it's not fun to examine your own thinking. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 27, 15 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again like I said before I could not care less about your argument about cycling but when you make an offensive comparison that trivializes the complete oppression of a race of people by both the government and society for the better part of 100 years you are wrong. Do you even understand what the Jim Crow laws were and how devastating they were to African Americans?

You need to apologize!!!!

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What number am I???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
it's generally well known, at least within the cycling community, that you should not honk at bicyclists. I remember that from the 1970s. .

i have to disagree. i have had honks to let me know that the vehicle would not be moving over a lane and would be passing me in his lane (normally cars move over a lane in passing) and to let me know they're going to be coming over on the shoulder ahead of me, also to show alliance (fellow cyclists), say HI, or in place of piropos. i can't ever remember someone using a horn in against a cyclist when i have been present.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:

Joel

Anyone can choose to be offended by anything they want. That's not my fault. I did not intend offense.

Look at it this way. Picture Rosa Parks is on the bus deciding to sit at the front despite there being empty seats in the back of the bus. The bus is full of people who believe that's wrong and inappropriate. It angers them. They threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase white vs black animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, even though the law says otherwise. She persists.

Now how is that NOT similar to Rosa Bikes riding in the roadway despite there being a wide clean empty shoulder off to the side? Full of people (in cars) who believe that's wrong and inappropriate (actually, not nearly as many as you might imagine). Some threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase motorist vs cyclist animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, and the law backs her up. She persists.

Why do you support Rosa Parks but oppose Rosa Bikes?

Or would you rather dismiss the question as being offensive than answer it? Sometime it's not fun to examine your own thinking. Don't shoot the messenger.

Holy fuck. Just stop digging.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: May 27, 15 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ok to honk in happiness, it's the honk in anger I don't like. I can tell the difference in the tone of the horn....
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, good times.

Last edited by: T-wrecks: Jun 29, 15 7:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next