Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I'm arguing you're misapplying that principle here, because it applies only where the behavior in question is in violation of the law, and the cyclist in this case was not doing anything illegal.

And this is the central issue with your entire premise. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you that a motorist's or cyclist's interests are not solely limited to the legality or illegality of the conduct of those with whom they share the road.

It's mind boggling to think that you actually need someone to make that clear to you.

Well, we were using the word "business", not "interest". I don't want to play semantics, but there is a big difference between something being none of my business and it not being an interest of mine.

Your original claim: "It is ABSOLUTELY the motorist's business to assess the safety of the conduct of other people using the road with him."
If you want to reword that as my premise, then it would be something like: "Assessing the safety of LEGAL conduct of other people using the road is none of anyone else's business." (and in this case it was not Duffy's business to assess the safety of the cyclist's legal conduct).

At least you're now conceding this is a central issue; not a tangent.

Still waiting for an example of legal conduct that supports your premise (or contradicts mine)... legal conduct that doesn't involve bicyclist positioning that justifies honking and lecturing in your opinion...

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 24, 15 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [billdsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billdsd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
How many times have I, and everyone else, said that the cyclist has the right to take the lane?
You seem to have a lot of difficulty with reading comprehension.

Welcome to slowtwitch tri-dork!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
First, about this thread there is a saying in law: bad facts make bad law. In this case, I'm afraid that the personalities and details about the PCH are obscuring good points about the defensive riding you propose.

Second, I tried it a bit yesterday because your comments and Billdsd comments about stress in riding hit home with me. After an hour ride, I'm liking it.

Gotta have a mirror to do this. Gotta be dork. I used to use a big Blackburn mirror. Then I got a small one for end of my drop bar. The small one sucked so I stopped using it. I thought to myself, "the fast guys just hug the edge and don't worry, so I'll do the same." Riding was always stressful. So yesterday I bought a Blackburn 2.5x3/5 oval mirror. It dorks up my bike. But it was great. Glance down and see that no was behind me for half a mile and I could ride in peace, knowing that I'd glance down in about fifteen seconds. Been a long time since I had peace like that while riding.

I only rode two lane roads in residential areas. No shoulders. The hairiest road has speed limit of 35 but cars go 45-50. I had a bit of a hard time consistently staying in the middle of the lane because of my habit of hugging the line, but rode in the middle mostly. When cars came up to within 200-300 feet of me, I moved to the white line. I was passed maybe 10-15 times. Everyone gave me plenty of space. First time I can remember not getting buzzed at least once. I waved as they passed me. In a weird way I felt there was a different communication with the car drivers, like they understood me saying, "I'm here. You see me? Good. I'll move over to give you some room, please give me room when you pass." Also in general I felt much safer riding in the middle because I didn't have to worry so much about cars coming out of obscured driveways on the right so much. Limited sample, I'll keep trying it.

But I do not think that anyone should take the middle without using a mirror. If you are going to claim to have a right to the road, then drive like all the other traffic does, with a rear view mirror. I think that one thing that frustrates drivers is not knowing whether the guy on the bike in front of them knows they are behind them. If the driver sees a mirror, it establishes a more personal connection. If the rider on PCH in original thread had a mirror, Duffy wouldn't have had to worry that the guy might get rear ended. If the guy had a mirror he'd be able to swerve to the shoulder if someone was about to rear end him.

Get a mirror Fred.

Bingo.

And that made all my efforts in this thread worthwhile (albeit this more general topic about the benefits of using the full lane by default is tangential to the original specific incident and discussion).

"I had a bit of a hard time consistently staying in the middle of the lane because of my habit of hugging the line". Yep. It's hard to snip the invisible Bungee cord that tends to pull us all towards the curb. But you'll get there. You made huge progress in just one day.

I don't think the mirror is necessary for safety. But it is necessary to lessen motorist annoyance, anxiety, angst and anger. Only with a mirror can you see them coming early enough to see that they've noticed you and to move aside, or acknowledge them, before they get annoyed.

But the main benefits of this approach are not with traffic approaching from behind, but with the for more likely cross-traffic threats ahead of you.

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 24, 15 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [billdsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billdsd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
How many times have I, and everyone else, said that the cyclist has the right to take the lane?

You say that you acknowledge that he has the right but that it's stupid for him to do so and you're clearly very angry about it.

But somehow, you can't see that that is a contradiction. If you really accepted that he had a right to use the lane, then you wouldn't be angry about it.

Wow. You don't live in the real world, do you?

You have the right to burn a flag, but I'll bet a bunch of people would be angered by your exercising that right, even if they believe that right exists.

Duffy has the right to call you an idiot, but I'd bet you wouldn't be happy about him doing so.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
billdsd wrote:
Duffy wrote:

You say that you acknowledge that he has the right but that it's stupid for him to do so and you're clearly very angry about it.

But somehow, you can't see that that is a contradiction. If you really accepted that he had a right to use the lane, then you wouldn't be angry about it.

Wow. You don't live in the real world, do you?

You have the right to burn a flag, but I'll bet a bunch of people would be angered by your exercising that right, even if they believe that right exists.

Duffy has the right to call you an idiot, but I'd bet you wouldn't be happy about him doing so.

Right, but you really have to find pretty extreme examples to make this point. Like believing in the right to free speech but still being angered by a KKK rally.
Those are edge cases that we use test how much we really believe in those rights.

But guess what? Even though we're angered by flag-burning and racist speech, we understand it's not our business to lecture people engaged in such activity.

And you know what else? If that conduct extends to threatening safety (like yelling "fire!" in a theater) then it becomes illegal AND when it crosses that legal line it becomes our business. But if the legal line is not crossed, it is not our business, even if we believe safety is threatened.

Unless, apparently, the conduct in question is legal but "unsafe" positioning by a cyclist.

P.S.
Thanks for demonstrating you can readily come up with counter-examples to a claim, when they exist.
Still waiting for an example of legal conduct that supports your premise (or counter-examples to mine)... legal conduct that doesn't involve bicyclist positioning that justifies honking and lecturing in your opinion...

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 24, 15 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well, we were using the word "business", not "interest". I don't want to play semantics, but there is a big difference between something being none of my business and it not being an interest of mine.

There is absolutely no difference, within the context of the discussion we're having.

Quote:
If you want to reword that as my premise, then it would be something like: "Assessing the safety of LEGAL conduct of other people using the road is none of anyone else's business." (and in this case it was not Duffy's business to assess the safety of the cyclist's legal conduct).

Reword it how you like, it's still incorrect.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Here's that pic of that shoulder that day…

C'mon, I thought we went through this already. Yes, this still photo shows a very wide shoulder that is great for riding a bike. I have acknowledged this. I have also pointed out that there is more going on down the road, none of which is captured in your still photo. Please see post #220. There are pavement fissures and most importantly some really pain in the ass trees at the bottom of the descent, neither of which are captured in your photo. Seriously, take a step back for a second. Do you really think an experienced rider would choose to leave the smooth, wide shoulder shown in your photo to risk it out in traffic for no reason?

Look, here is an overhead photo of a stretch of Paris Roubaix. But just because this photo shows a wide open freeway (presumably some pretty good pavement!) doesn't mean there aren't cobbles ahead in the Arenberg.

You really haven't explained how you had a hard time seeing a cyclist on a white road bike with pretty conspicuous kit who was right smack dab in the middle of your lane (your words, he says he was a bit off to the right) but that you were able to scan the shoulder of the road all the way down the hill and tell us all that it was free of the shit that the cyclist says was there and which I and others who frequent that stretch typically encounter there. All while doing 55mph, merging with traffic, in the #2 lane... really now, you're going to tell us that you are 100% certain that the shoulder is just as your single photo indicates, all the way down to the bottom?

Duffy wrote:
Also, maybe you guys should change your kits to something a little more visible. Darkish blue isn't the best choice.

Like I said in my first post, this guy is not on my club or team and never has been. And here is the kit. Seems pretty conspicuous to me.

Again, to be clear, I don't think for a second that your intention was to harass a cyclist. I truly believe that you thought you were doing him a favor. But I also think it is possible that you might not have seen and known the condition of the entire shoulder all the way down and that maybe, possibly, the cyclist made a decision that made more sense to him than you because he was operating with some information that you didn't have (and which in fairness, you can't be expected to have given the fact that you were in traffic behind the wheel of a car doing 55mph in the #2 lane).

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: May 24, 15 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:

But the main benefits of this approach are not with traffic approaching from behind, but with the for more likely cross-traffic threats ahead of you.

I felt much safer in this regard. I had much better visibility and view as to blind drives, pedestrians, etc. And of course they of me. Also for me, riding often with no shoulders, the edges are the gutters with the road hazards. Getting out of the gutters was nice. Crazy to think about it. Eighty to ninety percent of the time on my rides I don't have anyone behind me yet I've been dealing with the anxiety of riding on the edge.

I also see the whole dynamic changing with drivers. But when I'm riding (none too peacefully) on a two foot shoulder, I'm subliminally telling them: "I don't belong on the road, and I am not part of the traffic." And they accept what I'm telling them. I must fight my tendency to do it myself when I'm driving. But if I'm in the road, drivers have to accept that I'm part of the traffic and deal with it. They might not like it, but they have to deal with it like they deal with a slow moving tractor, a mailman, a garbage truck, etc, and they have to ask the subconscious and conscious driving questions like how fast is he going, when and where can I pass, etc. When I'm on the edge (or narrow shoulder), I get buzzed by maybe 1/4 of the cars and I think they don't even think about it.

I have a feeling that taking the lane will help with another component of cycling safety: the fact that drivers don't appreciate how fast bikes are traveling. Something on the edge or shoulder is assumed to be going slow -- it is not part of the real traffic. If you are in the middle, I think cross street drivers (and overtaking drivers) are more likely to take me as real traffic and make better judgements about my rate of speed. Of course I will always ride defensively and assume that the driver will make an error, but reducing those errors has to make things safer.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Right, but you really have to find pretty extreme examples to make this point. Like believing in the right to free speech but still being angered by a KKK rally.
Those are edge cases that we use test how much we really believe in those rights.

You don't have to find edge cases at all. In fact, I provided a fairly mundane case in my reply to Bill. Duffy has every right to call you a moron. You have every right to be angry that he calls you a moron. That doesn't mean you don't believe in his right to do so.

Quote:
But guess what? Even though we're angered by flag-burning and racist speech, we understand it's not our business to lecture people engaged in such activity.

You, like Bill, must not live in the same world as the rest of us.

Quote:
If that conduct extends to threatening safety (like yelling "fire!" in a theater) then it becomes illegal AND when it crosses that legal line it becomes our business.

No. Just because an activity becomes unsafe, that doesn't make it illegal. Your argument is so full of holes, it's amazing you've been willing to keep at it this long.

Quote:
But if the legal line is not crossed, it is not our business, even if we believe safety is threatened.

If you truly believe this, then you might as well stop now, because I don't think 99.9% of the population of this forum agree with you. If you see a man on a high ladder, and the leg of the ladder he's about to step on is clearly broken, you are essentially saying that it's none of your business to warn him or tell him to be safe, because his conduct isn't illegal. That's just plain stupidity, and it's antithetical to living in a cooperative society of fellow citizens.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

You know, I think Bill's point might stand up to this example anyway, especially in the relevant context.

Consider an outraged citizen who calls the police because of the flag burning. The police show up and what do they do? Nothing. Why? Because while they (presumably) don't respect the flag-burning, they respect the right to burn the flag. They would be wrong to lecture the flag burners. It would be none of their business.

If they did get angry and did start lecturing, that would indicate a lack of respect for the flag-burning right, wouldn't it? Just like Duffy's honking and lecturing indicates a lack of respect for the cyclist's right to ride in the lane.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
slowguy wrote:

You know, I think Bill's point might stand up to this example anyway, especially in the relevant context.

Consider an outraged citizen who calls the police because of the flag burning. The police show up and what do they do? Nothing. Why? Because while they (presumably) don't respect the flag-burning, they respect the right to burn the flag. They would be wrong to lecture the flag burners. It would be none of their business.

If they did get angry and did start lecturing, that would indicate a lack of respect for the flag-burning right, wouldn't it? Just like Duffy's honking and lecturing indicates a lack of respect for the cyclist's right to ride in the lane.

That's very nice, but since nobody has mentioned or suggesting that anyone should have called the cops to deal with the cyclist in Duffy's situation, it's basically another irrelevant tangent.

Yes, if they got angry, it would indicate a lack of respect for flag burning. It would not indicate a lack of respect for, nor an inability to recognize, the right to flag burn. The conduct and the right to engage in conduct are not the same thing, which is something you have proven unable to understand during this thread.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

I felt much safer in this regard. I had much better visibility and view as to blind drives, pedestrians, etc. And of course they of me. Also for me, riding often with no shoulders, the edges are the gutters with the road hazards. Getting out of the gutters was nice. Crazy to think about it. Eighty to ninety percent of the time on my rides I don't have anyone behind me yet I've been dealing with the anxiety of riding on the edge.

I also see the whole dynamic changing with drivers. But when I'm riding (none too peacefully) on a two foot shoulder, I'm subliminally telling them: "I don't belong on the road, and I am not part of the traffic." And they accept what I'm telling them. I must fight my tendency to do it myself when I'm driving. But if I'm in the road, drivers have to accept that I'm part of the traffic and deal with it. They might not like it, but they have to deal with it like they deal with a slow moving tractor, a mailman, a garbage truck, etc, and they have to ask the subconscious and conscious driving questions like how fast is he going, when and where can I pass, etc. When I'm on the edge (or narrow shoulder), I get buzzed by maybe 1/4 of the cars and I think they don't even think about it.

I have a feeling that taking the lane will help with another component of cycling safety: the fact that drivers don't appreciate how fast bikes are traveling. Something on the edge or shoulder is assumed to be going slow -- it is not part of the real traffic. If you are in the middle, I think cross street drivers (and overtaking drivers) are more likely to take me as real traffic and make better judgements about my rate of speed. Of course I will always ride defensively and assume that the driver will make an error, but reducing those errors has to make things safer.
Wow. From a ST member since 2003. This, folks, is an example of someone who understands and appreciates that Bicyclists Belong in the Traffic Lane, and why!

Yes, it changes the whole dynamic with motorists indeed. Makes bicycling in all kinds of traffic safe and comfortable. Congratulations on your discovery!

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Here's that pic of that shoulder that day…

C'mon, I thought we went through this already. Yes, this still photo shows a very wide shoulder that is great for riding a bike. I have acknowledged this. I have also pointed out that there is more going on down the road, none of which is captured in your still photo. Please see post #220. There are pavement fissures and most importantly some really pain in the ass trees at the bottom of the descent, neither of which are captured in your photo. Seriously, take a step back for a second. Do you really think an experienced rider would choose to leave the smooth, wide shoulder shown in your photo to risk it out in traffic for no reason?

Look, here is an overhead photo of a stretch of Paris Roubaix. But just because this photo shows a wide open freeway (presumably some pretty good pavement!) doesn't mean there aren't cobbles ahead in the Arenberg.

You really haven't explained how you had a hard time seeing a cyclist on a white road bike with pretty conspicuous kit who was right smack dab in the middle of your lane (your words, he says he was a bit off to the right) but that you were able to scan the shoulder of the road all the way down the hill and tell us all that it was free of the shit that the cyclist says was there and which I and others who frequent that stretch typically encounter there. All while doing 55mph, merging with traffic, in the #2 lane... really now, you're going to tell us that you are 100% certain that the shoulder is just as your single photo indicates, all the way down to the bottom?

Duffy wrote:
Also, maybe you guys should change your kits to something a little more visible. Darkish blue isn't the best choice.

Like I said in my first post, this guy is not on my club or team and never has been. And here is the kit. Seems pretty conspicuous to me.

Again, to be clear, I don't think for a second that your intention was to harass a cyclist. I truly believe that you thought you were doing him a favor. But I also think it is possible that you might not have seen and known the condition of the entire shoulder all the way down and that maybe, possibly, the cyclist made a decision that made more sense to him than you because he was operating with some information that you didn't have (and which in fairness, you can't be expected to have given the fact that you were in traffic behind the wheel of a car doing 55mph in the #2 lane).

Cool kit.

He wasn't wearing that kit.

Your picture of Paris Roubaix is not a picture of PCH. Where are you from, anyway?

As I have said repeatedly, I saw the cyclist, slowed rapidly, changed lanes and then looked in the rearview with the full expectation that the car behind was going to hit him (which he almost did). At this time I was going about 25 mph. That shoulder may or may not be safe at 43 mph but it is certainly safer at slower speed. While the cyclist has the right to go 43 he is under no obligation to do so and would have been infinitely safer going slower, on the shoulder, at that time and place.

I don't think you really understand what happened here. Your friend came within a split second of being killed. There were no cars driving on the shoulder. There were cars driving in the traffic lane, one of which came very close to mowing down your friend.

Get this in you head. Your friend was almost killed. He keeps doing what he did he will be killed, probably fairly soon.

At this point I'm starting to lose the ability to have any more concern for him.

BTW, the #1 lane is the left lane and the #2 lane is the right lane.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
slowguy wrote:

on side note, need a permit these to burn things so it would be illegal :)

That's very nice, but since nobody has mentioned or suggesting that anyone should have called the cops to deal with the cyclist in Duffy's situation, it's basically another irrelevant tangent.

Yes, if they got angry, it would indicate a lack of respect for flag burning. It would not indicate a lack of respect for, nor an inability to recognize, the right to flag burn. The conduct and the right to engage in conduct are not the same thing, which is something you have proven unable to understand during this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok dude. That was over the top. Kiss of Judas type stuff. I'll now be banished from the LR and spend the rest of my life here in Tri.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy, I have a question for you. If the City of Malibu had installed Bikes May Use Full Lane signs and sharrows on this section of PCH, would that have affected how you reacted to the cycling using the full lane? Would you still have honked and said something to him? The same thing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Duffy, I have a question for you. If the City of Malibu had installed Bikes May Use Full Lane signs and sharrows on this section of PCH, would that have affected how you reacted to the cycling using the full lane? Would you still have honked and said something to him? The same thing?

Man, you are really dense.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
In my opinion your friend was almost killed. In my opinion if he keeps doing what he did he will be killed, probably fairly soon.
I fixed it for you.
But more and more cyclists are and have been doing what that cyclist did, and they aren't getting killed. Please stop promoting your myths.

Quote:
BTW, the #1 lane is the left lane and the #2 lane is the right lane.
Well, you're right about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

So indulge the dense guy. Answer the question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is starting to wear me down. I'm going golfing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

So indulge the dense guy. Answer the question.

This is an internet forum, right? I think we all agree that this is an internet forum? If I asked everyone who posts here, I'd bet I would get 99-100% agreement that this is an internet forum.

Please tell me how you would act differently if there was a pop-up sign on your screen that said this was an internet forum.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
That's what Duffy exhibited when he chose to honk and lecture his opinion at a cyclist on the road!

I have been criticized for accusing others here of exhibiting anti-cyclist bigotry but "There is a time and a place to ride that road, and mid-week morning rush hour is not the time or place" has got to be the most blatantly bigoted statement I've seen here yet. As is typical of bigotry, it's likely to be subconscious. But believe me it's there, perhaps deeply rooted in your psyche.

Wow. Do others agree with that remarkable statement or is this an anomaly?

Do others agree or disagree that this statement is bigoted against cyclists?

I live within easy riding distance of West Philly. While it may be perfectly legal for me to ride there at midnight (with appropriate lights/reflective gear, before you try to go off on one of your tangents of irrelevance), if I am riding there and stopped for a light, and a driver who is stopped behind or next to me at said light honked to get my attention and let me know that that neighbourhood might not be the safest one to be riding alone at that time of night, is he guilty of "blatant anti-cyclist bigotry", as your posts here would seem to suggest, or is he simply offering some friendly advice to a fellow road user?

And thanks for the laugh at your claim that Duffy is a "charismatic leader". I'm sure the LR would have a field day with that one :)
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Power] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power wrote:
This thread is starting to wear me down. I'm going golfing.

A thread so bad that golfing looks good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
drn92 wrote:
There are a lot of things that Duffy posts where I do not agree. In this instance, given the preponderance of the evidence that I've read, I support Duffy.

Your militant attitude about always being "in the right" is turning people off of your cause. You are giving cyclists a bad name and remind me of riders who choose to make up the rules as they go along. Your opinion is equally as valid as Duffy's (or mine), but stating it as fact is not true. The only thing you have to stand on is your experience, which with an n=1 is not statistically valid.

There is a time and a place to ride that road, and mid-week morning rush hour is not the time or place. With a top speed that is significantly lower than the rest of the traffic (at least 20%, if not 50%), the cyclist is putting himself and other motorists at risk.

drn92

Militant attitude about always being "in the right"? That's what Duffy exhibited when he chose to honk and lecture his opinion at a cyclist on the road!

I have been criticized for accusing others here of exhibiting anti-cyclist bigotry but "There is a time and a place to ride that road, and mid-week morning rush hour is not the time or place" has got to be the most blatantly bigoted statement I've seen here yet. As is typical of bigotry, it's likely to be subconscious. But believe me it's there, perhaps deeply rooted in your psyche.

Wow. Do others agree with that remarkable statement or is this an anomaly?

Do others agree or disagree that this statement is bigoted against cyclists?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next