Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Why do you support Rosa Parks but oppose Rosa Bikes?

and.... /thread LOL
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate you. If I see you on a bike I'm going to honk at you.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Damn

You ain't got no pony!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Ah, good times.

I take ^^ back, now the thread is not only over, it's Epic
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happens to me on ebay all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thread of the Year

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After hitting F5 about 5,000 times this morning I can finally get some work done. Worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
Again like I said before I could not care less about your argument about cycling but when you make an offensive comparison that trivializes the complete oppression of a race of people by both the government and society for the better part of 100 years you are wrong. Do you even understand what the Jim Crow laws were and how devastating they were to African Americans?

You need to apologize!!!!

Joel
600 cyclists are killed every year by motorists. How about you don't trivialize that.

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You clearly have no idea how offensive your defending your use of Rosa Parks is. I am going to say it one more time you need to apologize.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody is trivializing cyclist deaths. Nobody. But your use of that analogy is ridiculous. There are two options here: (1) You really are tha much of a dumbass who's unable to think of a better analogy or (2) you're too damn stubborn to admit you should have used a better analogy.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
Again like I said before I could not care less about your argument about cycling but when you make an offensive comparison that trivializes the complete oppression of a race of people by both the government and society for the better part of 100 years you are wrong. Do you even understand what the Jim Crow laws were and how devastating they were to African Americans?

Joel
600 cyclists are killed every year by motorists. How about you don't trivialize that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
I don't actually care what you are saying about cycling (I have never been involved in your argument about cycling nor do I care about it). You are being offensive when you use a situation concerning the wholesale subjugation of a entire race by the government and society in an argument about cycling. You are offensive and need to apologize for trivializing the sacrifice of Rosa Parks. You should be ashamed.

Joel

Anyone can choose to be offended by anything they want. That's not my fault. I did not intend offense.

Look at it this way. Picture Rosa Parks is on the bus deciding to sit at the front despite there being empty seats in the back of the bus. The bus is full of people who believe that's wrong and inappropriate. It angers them. They threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase white vs black animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, even though the law says otherwise. She persists.

Now how is that NOT similar to Rosa Bikes riding in the roadway despite there being a wide clean empty shoulder off to the side? Full of people (in cars) who believe that's wrong and inappropriate (actually, not nearly as many as you might imagine). Some threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase motorist vs cyclist animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, and the law backs her up. She persists.

Or would you rather dismiss the question as being offensive than answer it? Sometime it's not fun to examine your own thinking. Don't shoot the messenger.

OMFG. where is that jesus facepalm?

bless your heart. what a life you must have lead to be so completely ignorant of your offense.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
It's ok to honk in happiness, it's the honk in anger I don't like. I can tell the difference in the tone of the horn....

i was responding to his assertion that cars were NEVER to use a horn with a cyclist, that it Just Is Not Done and Everyone Knows That.

on edit, aw man.! i missed out on a Lil Sebastian! youse guys!!! (hmph)

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: May 27, 15 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Nobody is trivializing cyclist deaths. Nobody. But your use of that analogy is ridiculous. There are two options here: (1) You really are tha much of a dumbass who's unable to think of a better analogy or (2) you're too damn stubborn to admit you should have used a better analogy.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:

Joel

I already explained why it's a good analogy.

But yeah, I can't think of another one. I'll try.

You know, people compare all kinds of situations to the holocaust, to racism, to sexism, to homophobia, etc. Making analogies to well-known scenarios can be an effective way to convey a point (at least with people who understand analogies). It's not trivializing the thing used in the analogy to use it. It just isn't. And if anyone is offended by it, they're choosing to be offended. The use of the analogy is not causing the offense. Their choice is.

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 27, 15 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:

Joel

You know, people compare all kinds of situations to the holocaust, to racism, to sexism, to homophobia, etc. Making analogies to well-known scenarios can be an effective way to convey a point (at least with people who understand analogies). It's not trivializing the thing used in the analogy to use it. It just isn't. And if anyone is offended by it, they're choosing to be offended. The use of the analogy is not causing the offense. Their choice is.

you know, up to now i really thought you were some kind of instigator of wanting to preach a new message and really explain it to people who were resistant.

i can now see you are really not the brightest light in the bunch, huh? you continue to alienate person after person and without apology - like it is a source of pride for you. so you are not preaching a message or trying to enlighten, you are just really ignorant.

what is that saying about westling or having sex with a pig - something about just making him mad/dirty?

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
I don't actually care what you are saying about cycling (I have never been involved in your argument about cycling nor do I care about it). You are being offensive when you use a situation concerning the wholesale subjugation of a entire race by the government and society in an argument about cycling. You are offensive and need to apologize for trivializing the sacrifice of Rosa Parks. You should be ashamed.

Joel

Anyone can choose to be offended by anything they want. That's not my fault. I did not intend offense.

Look at it this way. Picture Rosa Parks is on the bus deciding to sit at the front despite there being empty seats in the back of the bus. The bus is full of people who believe that's wrong and inappropriate. It angers them. They threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase white vs black animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, even though the law says otherwise. She persists.

Now how is that NOT similar to Rosa Bikes riding in the roadway despite there being a wide clean empty shoulder off to the side? Full of people (in cars) who believe that's wrong and inappropriate (actually, not nearly as many as you might imagine). Some threaten her. Others have been killed for being so bold. Some even think her actions will increase motorist vs cyclist animosity. But Rosa knows she has a right to be there, and the law backs her up. She persists.

Or would you rather dismiss the question as being offensive than answer it? Sometime it's not fun to examine your own thinking. Don't shoot the messenger.

OMFG. where is that jesus facepalm?

bless your heart. what a life you must have lead to be so completely ignorant of your offense.

Just don't suggest that cyclists might sometimes find it wise to ride out of the travel lane on occasion so as to make things safer for them and more convenient for motorists. Then you'd be a anti-cyclist BIGOT.

Quote:
You know, people compare all kinds of situations to the holocaust, to racism, to sexism, to homophobia, etc. Making analogies to well-known scenarios can be an effective way to convey a point (at least with people who understand analogies)

Picking well-known enslavements, genocides, etc is a terrible way to make your point because they are extremely sensitive topics. As demonstrated here because you've given your opponents the opportunity to talk about how it's a very in-poor-taste analogy, rather than talking about the point you were trying to make. When you're talking about your ability to ride your fancy bike where you like versus an entire race's ability to work, vote, or even live, it really highlights how small this entire debate is.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: May 27, 15 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me guess: suburban, middle to upper middle class, white collar Caucasian guy who has "a black friend"? Because your replies are spoken like one.

A sound rule of thumb, as the enlightened know, is that an emotional analogy, especially one in which comparisons are made to the disenfranchised, causes offense not because of one's choice but due to the complete dismissal of the emotional pain associated with the situation...unless like situations are being compared. The topic of cyclist's rights is in no way a civil rights issue nor one of immoral disenfranchisement. It's just not in any way; the evidence of discrimination isn't there. The only evidence is that the infrastructure is improving, but less than ideal.

Try a new analogy.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:

Joel

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
You clearly have no idea how offensive your defending your use of Rosa Parks is. I am going to say it one more time you need to apologize.

Joel

i'm going to apologise on behalf of 95 because it is painfully obvious the poor boy is not only ignorant, he is hepped up on "i'm so rigititis" that he is blind.

that was a STUPID analogy. I don't know what I was thinking. I really-really believe in my views and thought that would be an analogy everyone could understand but I didn't really think it through. i so Totally did NOT intend to offend - it never entered my mind. so please accept my apology AND all my attempts to convince you that you shouldn't be offended. i'm terribly sorry.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get offended by a forum post you are the dumbest person on here!
Who gives a shit what someone uses as an analogy!
Grow up Slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

For example, when I say 7/14 is like 13,000,000/26,000,000, I'm not saying that 26,000,000 is like 14.
Or earth/sun is like electron/nucleus is not saying the earth is like an electron.

Similarly, "saying 'get on the shoulder'" to "A cyclist in traffic lane" is like "saying 'get in the back of the bus'" to "Rosa Parks" is not suggesting the cyclist in the back of the bus is like Rosa Parks, and it's certainly not suggesting that the struggle for full lane rights is similar in importance to the civil rights struggle; they're as similar as 14 is to 26,000,000. But the analogy still fits. Perfectly.

Sorry. You probably did not do well on the analogy questions on the SAT.

As usual, you completely miss the point that others are making. No one is saying that it wasn't an analogy....they are saying it was a poor analogy and potentially offensive to some.

But it's not a poor analogy. You have to twist and misunderstand the analogy to be offended by it. Don't get all sophistic on me and then blame me for it.

But then again, I'm the bozo who bothered to respond.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [stupac2722] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stupac2722 wrote:
If you get offended by a forum post you are the dumbest person on here!
Who gives a shit what someone uses as an analogy!
Grow up Slowtwitch

shush.... nobody cares what you think...

now, what does anyone know about Manta Ecuador. i'm on a google quest...

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: May 27, 15 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone cared enough to respond, you just got powned!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You win the interwebs for this month,Sir...well played!

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Thread of the Year

say it ain't so

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whareagle wrote:

Have ANY of you EVER gotten fit while riding or training in a bike lane? Great for hipsters (not really), crappy for Triathletes and Roadies.

Yes. Portions of the SoCal "Swami's ride," one of the fastest group rides on the planet, are on bike lanes. And the Swami's group does a pretty good job of honoring the lanes when we're on those sections. Even with like 50 guys drilling it at 30MPH.

On other portions, say Elfin Forest Rd, we take the whole damned road! And on other portions of Elfin Forest we'll go the shoulder to let cars pass.

It's just a situational thing. There is no dogmatic answer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next