Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
darkwave wrote:
My contribution:

The other day, I head to the pool to do some laps. Posted rules are that two swimmers share a lane; three or more circle swim. There are also posted lane speeds - slow, medium, fast - which are often ignored.

As it happens, every lane has two swimmers of greatly different speeds, meaning that circle swimming will be annoying. (I'll circle swim, but I prefer it to be with people of similar speed). I'm not in a huge rush, so I opt just to wait. And a few minutes later, someone departs a lane, leaving a single pool-runner.

[He's pool-running while clasping a basketball (not a water polo ball) to his chest, but that's not the basis for this story, just an odd aside.]

I walk over to that lane, dip my legs in, and ask the pool-runner if we can split and which side he prefers.

"Circle swim only! You always circle swim. It's rude to other people not too."

I explain to him that the posted rules are that two people split, but he's not having it. I also explain that if we try to do circles, since he's pool-running and I'm swimming, it will be hard for me not to run into him. He responds that that's my problem, and that I need to learn to share and to swim around other people. His voice gets elevated.

I get up, walk over to one of the lifeguards, and ask her whether we should split or circle swim. She confirms that splitting is correct and it would be odd to circle swim with just the two of us. I then return and explain to him that the lifeguard prefers that we split, but he's still not having it.

"Circle swim only!" Loudly.

About that time, another swimmer exits a different lane. Great, I'll just swim there. Issue solved, I think.

Except that this action enrages him even more, and he loudly berates me for my selfishness and unwillingness to share the pool with others as I walk across the deck. In his view, I am a horrible person.

It was just really odd, and a bit disturbing.

Sounds rather a lot like some of my special-needs students... Fixation on routines and rules ... (even if the applicable rule is share, perhaps in his mind it is to always circle no matter how many people..)

If you found it to be "odd" behaviour, and did not really have a conversation, it's possible this person could be autistic or have asberger's - especially if they repeated the same phrase. If that was the case, thanks for being tolerent.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Sep 7, 17 19:12
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
darkwave wrote:
My contribution:

The other day, I head to the pool to do some laps. Posted rules are that two swimmers share a lane; three or more circle swim. There are also posted lane speeds - slow, medium, fast - which are often ignored.

As it happens, every lane has two swimmers of greatly different speeds, meaning that circle swimming will be annoying. (I'll circle swim, but I prefer it to be with people of similar speed). I'm not in a huge rush, so I opt just to wait. And a few minutes later, someone departs a lane, leaving a single pool-runner.

[He's pool-running while clasping a basketball (not a water polo ball) to his chest, but that's not the basis for this story, just an odd aside.]

I walk over to that lane, dip my legs in, and ask the pool-runner if we can split and which side he prefers.

"Circle swim only! You always circle swim. It's rude to other people not too."

I explain to him that the posted rules are that two people split, but he's not having it. I also explain that if we try to do circles, since he's pool-running and I'm swimming, it will be hard for me not to run into him. He responds that that's my problem, and that I need to learn to share and to swim around other people. His voice gets elevated.

I get up, walk over to one of the lifeguards, and ask her whether we should split or circle swim. She confirms that splitting is correct and it would be odd to circle swim with just the two of us. I then return and explain to him that the lifeguard prefers that we split, but he's still not having it.

"Circle swim only!" Loudly.

About that time, another swimmer exits a different lane. Great, I'll just swim there. Issue solved, I think.

Except that this action enrages him even more, and he loudly berates me for my selfishness and unwillingness to share the pool with others as I walk across the deck. In his view, I am a horrible person.

It was just really odd, and a bit disturbing.

Sounds rather a lot like some of my special-needs students... Fixation on routines and rules ... (even if the applicable rule is share, perhaps in his mind it is to always circle no matter how many people..)

If you found it to be "odd" behaviour, and did not really have a conversation, it's possible this person could be autistic or have asberger's - especially if they repeated the same phrase. If that was the case, thanks for being tolerent.

Don,

I think / hope that you were replying to darkwave....

I said pretty much the same thing as you did, ( tho I did not specifically mention autism spectrum.)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

Strange Denizens: the ones who brag about nothing.

Isn't that the whole of Slowtwitch?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Don,

I think / hope that you were replying to darkwave....

I said pretty much the same thing as you did, ( tho I did not specifically mention autism spectrum.)

Yes. Just adding my 2 cents!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I saw a record for most swim tools ever used at once a couple weeks ago

Cap
Goggles
Swim MP3 player
Tempo trainer
Snorkel
Nose clip
Wetsuit (shorty)
Paddles
Forearm fulcrum
Buoy
Fins
Tick Tock trainer

The only thing I can think of being missing would be an ankle band.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

Cap
Goggles
Swim MP3 player
Tempo trainer
Snorkel
Nose clip
Wetsuit (shorty)
Paddles
Forearm fulcrum
Buoy
Fins
Tick Tock trainer

Did not even wear a sportswatch?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

Cap
Goggles
Swim MP3 player
Tempo trainer
Snorkel
Nose clip
Wetsuit (shorty)
Paddles
Forearm fulcrum
Buoy
Fins
Tick Tock trainer

Did not even wear a sportswatch?

Forgot to list that. Ironman Timex. Weird, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep end Guy had me laughing, nice thread

"Tough chic Guy" - Winter swim at a a heated open pool,Not to cold that day but still winter
Showers did not have warm water,maybe the 2nd time that week boiler was down
Two skinny guys a grandad and a few other normal looking chaps taking our pre\post showers,water was really cold but we all did what we could
Toughest looking guy walks in (the bouncer type),guy starts the water goes under and yells " we are men but this is torture "

-Women lockers were quiet, dont think they complained that week
Last edited by: Biggrub_tri: Sep 8, 17 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Biggrub_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the pool during the middle of the day on Monday. I have never been there during the day before. Let's just say that after watching how much those housewives enjoy bobbing up and down, if you ever need a pool noodle, bring your own.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a pool I usually don't go to, I found only a small area for changing. I noticed that in this small floor space, there was a mine field of powder. I'll draw the figurative picture: the floor was covered with stuff that had fallen to the ground after old dudes had used it to powder their sacks and undercarriages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
powder their undercarriages.

Johnson's ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago my pool closed for renovation so I temporarily joined a rather pricey hospital affiliated facility that caters to older folks (medical issues, rehab, etc). I can say that there is nothing weirder than a locker room full of old guys. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an old guy too)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy swimming super slow freestyle with horrible form, legs dragging at the bottom of the pool, wearing speedo drag shorts.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
The guy swimming super slow freestyle with horrible form, legs dragging at the bottom of the pool, wearing speedo drag shorts.

That's about half of slowtwitch!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, that cartoon is spot on.

At my Y, they don't talk about the piggers; instead, they discuss the price of local real estate.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:

:=) There's a guy at my pool who must have a 100 rpm stroke rate, but manages about 100 seconds per 50. I've never looked under water to see what he's doing. I just can't figure out how someone can take that many strokes and move that slowly!! You can hear him from outside the pool...splash, splash, splash, splash. Its amazing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
At a pool I usually don't go to, I found only a small area for changing. I noticed that in this small floor space, there was a mine field of powder. I'll draw the figurative picture: the floor was covered with stuff that had fallen to the ground after old dudes had used it to powder their sacks and undercarriages.

Wimp. I had to endure two years on a ship where the guy on the bottom rack went through two containers of baby powder a week, yet his towel was very rarely dirty.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
DrTriKat wrote:

:=) There's a guy at my pool who must have a 100 rpm stroke rate, but manages about 100 seconds per 50. I've never looked under water to see what he's doing. I just can't figure out how someone can take that many strokes and move that slowly!! You can hear him from outside the pool...splash, splash, splash, splash. Its amazing!

I can do it. It's an expression of my natural, God-given talent, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The traditions of the British Navy are rum, sodomy, and the lash." Winston S. Churchill
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's about right. At this same facility, there is an area in the men's locker room with nice cushioned chairs and coffee table around a flat screen tv, I suppose for socializing after getting dressed. One day after my swim I walk in and some guy is sitting there kicked back, naked watching tv. This facility even had TV's on every wall in the locker room. On another occasion I walk in and some guy is standing on the bench in front of his locker, naked but wearing a heart rate monitor and watching tv. Not getting dressed, mind you. Just watching tv. One day, as I was finishing dressing and bent over tying my shoes, I sensed something next to me. I turned my head only to see some old guy's ass and testicles a foot from my face. I was happy to get back to my pool where the worse thing to put up with are noisy high school swim teams
Last edited by: squid: Sep 29, 17 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I didn't take quite that long, but I used to do the same thing. That is, massive number of strokes but slow as molasses. It turns out (after I got a coach) that I was slashing at the water instead of doing a catch. Once I started catching the water, strokes went down and speed went up.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
140triguy wrote:

Wimp. I had to endure two years on a ship where the guy on the bottom rack went through two containers of baby powder a week, yet his towel was very rarely dirty.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this week, high school swim teams took over most lanes at the big/nice/new swim facility in town. So I went to the small/stuffy/old facility that is half the size, hoping for a lane. At 5:25am, me and 2 other dudes were not talking, waiting in the little locker room anteroom for the lifeguard to unbolt the door to the pool deck.

He does so, we go in, I drop my stuff at the end of a lane. A woman in a pink cap calls out, "Hey, no, sorry, Carly always swims in that lane." It's early, and I'm grumpy and paranoid and anxious, and I'm thinking "Who the f___ is Carly, some Olympian in training who has a lane magically reserved at the community pool?" when the women's locker room door opens and ... yep ... Carly crutches her way over to the lane where I'm standing. She has two arms and one leg.

And, scene.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One 11-year old girl alone in an otherwise empty locker room with many wood benches in front of hundreds of identical lockers in neat double rows with identical locks on them, changing quickly after swim practice.

One mostly naked, old fat woman walks up to locker directly in front of girl, and starts talking to the locker:

"You guys are always in front of MY locker" and "You all should spread out more..."

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next