Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ST as a mirror for society
Quote | Reply
Oh the irony.
I returned to ST seeking a refuge from the news these days. Everything in the news and on my social media is so contentious with meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
So I return to ST and see a thread on crank length, a topic on which I have an interest and might have something to contribute. And what did I find in that thread? Meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
I guess the only refuge is to be off line.
Sigh,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Oh the irony.
I returned to ST seeking a refuge from the news these days. Everything in the news and on my social media is so contentious with meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
So I return to ST and see a thread on crank length, a topic on which I have an interest and might have something to contribute. And what did I find in that thread? Meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
I guess the only refuge is to be off line.
Sigh,
Jim

Yep, most folks have lost the art to be able to debate.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Oh the irony.
I returned to ST seeking a refuge from the news these days. Everything in the news and on my social media is so contentious with meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
So I return to ST and see a thread on crank length, a topic on which I have an interest and might have something to contribute. And what did I find in that thread? Meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
I guess the only refuge is to be off line.
Sigh,
Jim


Yep, most folks have lost the art to be able to debate.
He he he
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies if my "contributions" (and I use that term loosely) were part of what makes you feel that way. I came back for the same reason as you, but some of the things I saw in that thread made my blood boil and I didn't use the restraint I probably should have.

Mea culpa.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Yep, most folks have lost the art to be able to debate.


πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you really want to see some fireworks, post something about the relevancy of disc brakes on tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
If you really want to see some fireworks, post something about the relevancy of disc brakes on tri bikes.



As for the whole "Body Is A Temple" thing? Well, many ancient deities often enjoyed offerings of Sweets and Intoxicants
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought your posts were perfectly reasonable. From my perspective, that whole thread is characterized by most of ST being rational and (trying to be) helpful. Then there are two contributors (or one and one sock puppet) who are spewing meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation. Oh, and I left out phony victimization.
I might as well be flipping channels between Fox and MSNBC.

Richard Blaine wrote:
My apologies if my "contributions" (and I use that term loosely) were part of what makes you feel that way. I came back for the same reason as you, but some of the things I saw in that thread made my blood boil and I didn't use the restraint I probably should have.

Mea culpa.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Oh the irony.
I returned to ST seeking a refuge from the news these days. Everything in the news and on my social media is so contentious with meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
So I return to ST and see a thread on crank length, a topic on which I have an interest and might have something to contribute. And what did I find in that thread? Meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
I guess the only refuge is to be off line.
Sigh,
Jim


Yep, most folks have lost the art to be able to debate.

He he he
He truly doesn't know. He can't. You know the kid in school that just could not get math no matter how hard they tried? That's how some people are with dealing with other people.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
I thought your posts were perfectly reasonable. From my perspective, that whole thread is characterized by most of ST being rational and (trying to be) helpful. Then there are two contributors (or one and one sock puppet) who are spewing meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation. Oh, and I left out phony victimization.
I might as well be flipping channels between Fox and MSNBC.

Richard Blaine wrote:
My apologies if my "contributions" (and I use that term loosely) were part of what makes you feel that way. I came back for the same reason as you, but some of the things I saw in that thread made my blood boil and I didn't use the restraint I probably should have.

Mea culpa.

the first reply to your post is a great reflection of society ;-)
the only reason why i can see this guy still being allowed to post is that its good for clicks and at the end this how this site makes money , but I do think it also drives people away. its the same in every thread he is involved with and its always the others that get blamed for being mean.
At the same time once it gets grotesque, if nobody replies there would be no issue, all he wants is clicks, and most play in his hands.

http://www.pb3coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, you walked right into the lion's den opening that thread.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Witness: How could I have known?
Prosecutor: You knew or should have known!
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
...but I do think it also drives people away.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Really, I do. I avoid threads started by, or taken over by, H2Ofun.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha this was an elegant hook, line and sinker.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
pk wrote:
...but I do think it also drives people away.


Hey, I resemble that remark!

Really, I do. I avoid threads started by, or taken over by, H2Ofun.
I click just to verify my assumptions regarding what I'd find in there, then quickly hit the back button while simultaneously shaking my head rolling my eyes and facepalming. One of these days I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Witness: How could I have known?
Prosecutor: You knew or should have known!

You should not have known. The lion's den was a joke, which I hope at least some people got.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Witness: How could I have known?
Prosecutor: You knew or should have known!

How could you NOT have known??? :=)

What's astonishing (ok maybe not)...by my count, I think this now the "third thread about THAT thread." Two in the tri-forum, and one over in the LR.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are people, wherever they are.

A lot of them suck.

---
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
pk wrote:
...but I do think it also drives people away.


Hey, I resemble that remark!

Really, I do. I avoid threads started by, or taken over by, H2Ofun.

Very professional. I guess I know what products to avoid.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I would say the ratio of those who spout off mean, non-fact based self-centered opinions is far less here than other places. But, to your point, our society, especially since the 2016 election in the U.S. has become much more hostile to differences and different opinions. I think you hit the nail on the head that it is a willing and wanton disregard of facts as folks feel enabled to believe whatever they want to believe and not be deterred by the facts. It is quite dangerous.

However, the vast majority of folks on here don't show that kind of behavior. When I post questions, I usually get good answers. I see a lot of support for others on here. It is easy to focus on the offensive outlier posts because they stand out, but taken as a whole, 95%+ of posts are from folks trying to contribute to the triathlon community.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:
pk wrote:
...but I do think it also drives people away.


Hey, I resemble that remark!

Really, I do. I avoid threads started by, or taken over by, H2Ofun.


Very professional. I guess I know what products to avoid.

PowerCranks?
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Oh the irony.
I returned to ST seeking a refuge from the news these days. Everything in the news and on my social media is so contentious with meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
So I return to ST and see a thread on crank length, a topic on which I have an interest and might have something to contribute. And what did I find in that thread? Meanness, stupidity, science denial, fake news, and righteous indignation.
I guess the only refuge is to be off line.
Sigh,
Jim

Here's the deal,

In spite of 6-10 threads and a combined post count of at least a thousand, this isn't about crank arm length..AT ALL, it's about safety...and Dave's possible desire to buy a new bike.

IIRC it was back in the Diamond back thread before all this started I told dave that due to lower BB drop and shorter FC he will have to go away from 200's due to safety, basically he would bottom out or hit the front wheel with toe overlap and things that would happen would be worse than say "not tightening your seat post" or "putting your large front chain ring on backwards".

So this year or next he will buy a new bike, simply because based on some of the original pics...he has scary stem stack (fork spacers) and that will only get worse....by the time he settles on position that stack or perhaps according leverage on the steerer tube would be REALLY bad. IE dangerous, IE I wouldn't ride it.

So...back to the thread(s)....in most reasonable threads people who don't know come on here, get reasonable advise from say 10-20 people and some odd stuff from 1-2 (IE tire choice etc) most "reasonable" people look at the arguments, perhaps science behind that and make "reasonable and appropriate decisions based on said input.

To be fair Dave is wired very differently...IE I don't think he's a Troll, I honestly believe that he believes his version of reality to be true. He is not targeting one person (IE AC trolls) or selling shit. Basically he thinks he is right. But for some to think or validate that they are right they have this innate desire for everyone else to disagree with them.

So Dave is faced with a CR of 175 or under, because of what comes stock with new bikes. I predict this year or next Dave will be riding a very large (New) disc brake bike (Andean) with CR of 165-175 (simply because Dave is too cheap to buy after market) reasonable seat height and angle and fork spacers which don't scare the shit out of me.

Anyways, IMO the threads have been interesting and of good value...some of your links have made be go back and re-read the research (and then get stuck in the rabbit hole of google and other papers) some of Dave Luscan and Trents posts on the "holistic" nature of fit have, and should be looked at. I think most of ST is seeing or perhaps learning a bit from these.

Given Slowmans passion for correct fit and value for what you get from a fitter I find his absence interesting.

Anyways just my 2c

Maurice

http://www.multisportsolutions.com
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difficulty with clinical narcissism (aka NPD) is that it is very safe and comfortable for the patient, but infuriating to the bystanders. Further, witnessing the infuriation tends to confirm to the narcissist that his failed relationships are the fault of others.

Like Damon, I have learned to tune out of all of this particular patient's posts.
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s true!! he has a backdoor bragg for almost everything..the classic one upper
Quote Reply
Re: ST as a mirror for society [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those readers new to the forum or checking in for the first time in a while, ST has added a new feature. If you don't wish to see posts from a certain user, click on the profile name when you are logged in and you'll see an option to hide the user's posts. Peace and joy to all!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 5, 17 12:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next