Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Dev, the range of abilities at a masters meet is all over the place. I guarantee you won't look out of place at all. Sure there will be some fasties but you definetely won't be alone. Everyone will be seeded by time so just enter a reasonable seed time and you will swim with others of your speed.

Do they generally run you against people your age, or your speed/ability. The latter may be better (although in 50-54, there are more people who are also slow like me, so it might be a wash).

Most often in masters it's by ability. There have been just 2 meets I've done as a masters swimmer that have been seeded by age. Those were nationals in 2015 (only for 50's and 100's) and worlds in 2014.

Most local meets here mix genders as well, although I think we do separate genders for provincial champs.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our meet was similar to what JoelO mentioned. Events were broken down by Gender, heats were based on seed time regardless of Age Group so you were around similar speed swimmers.

Based on my limited experience with Masters, no one looks down on anyone, it's a very supportive and encouraging experience/environment regardless of speed. For example, the 200 Free ranged from a 3:40 all the way down to a 1:45, but everyone was cheered and supported, and it was a great time. It's a great opportunity to get those competitive juices flowing, and who doesn't love that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I'll do all the events over the next couple weeks. I did my sprint tri last weekend so I am semi retired from tri training but I have committed to myself to continue swimming 3-4x a week. I did 3000 yards today and included a broken 100im somewhere near the end 16-18-21-15 for a 1:10. So I think my goal time is a 1:13 or14.
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
times from this AM.
(without any circumstantial info, like ran 5 miles before and did this in the middle of a set type of stuff...ooops did I just add that??)

50 Fly 30.15
50 Back 34.26

I will do the 100IM and 50 Free on wednesday morning.
I also did try the gopro this am.. but havent checked it to see what it looks like.

No dive
SCY pool
Time started when coach yelled (vs feet leaving wall)

Whew...
Certainly not my best. But all good.
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually start my swim on the 59 by going under water and in theory I push off right on the 00.

Coming into the wall I turn toward the clock as I coast into the wall. Anything to shave a second or two. Oh and I always round down so if its 30/31 then its a 30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to make any excuses just like you did('nt). But after I did a very hard warm up 2000 set, I proceeded to do 4x(50@1;00/100easy at 2;30) fly/breast/back/free From a push, no lane lines or gutters and just barley catching my breath before each one. Oh ya, swam crazy crooked on back, but no excuses...

50 fly (All SCY) 32
50 breast 39
50 back. 39
50 free 31

62 year old male(well in two days)
Last edited by: monty: Feb 26, 18 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think both our posts should have been PINKISH in font.. no?

62 eh? wow. Those are great times period. Well done.

daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooo.. I'm gonna try this tomorrow morning!
One caveat - my hip is really bad, to the point I can't flip turn. Luckily, that's only two strokes that will suffer.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya pink for sure. I actually may get a chance to get totally legit times for all these next Sunday, still on the fence about doing a pentathlon meet. I have not done a meet in 6 or 7 years, and only just began swimming again a couple months ago. I have been getting in a pretty consistent 5k a week in, and although many here will poo poo that mileage, for an old ex swimmer it is plenty to improve on. Of course it is not ideal, double would be great and put me in a place where I could actually race and not just survive.

But since it has been so long since I stood on blocks, I have a real longing to be there again, even if not optimal. One thing for sure, I can do better than the times I just posted up, so got that going for me... And it would be nice if I could still somehow break 30 for a 50 fly, not sure if that is in the cards anymore at this stage of my life...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO FOR IT Monty..
You absolutely can break 30 off the blocks!

UNLIKE you i have done meets over the past 6 to 7 years and have taken a year off or so, to really get back to the swim. I missed it. Its hard to see the times just tumble year after year. But its great to be back at the pool more and see a set like 8 x 100 on 1:20 and not flinch and actually strategize. Im sure the blocks thing will come back after a couple. NO PROBLEM.

I wish I were in cali to do it! I think next up for me might be the masters meet at Harvard (new england champs) but im locking myself into the Bermuda Four Corner Challenge this year. April. Got a nice group going. You should join. Event is total badass. Read the q&a for a good laugh. Its kinda like how tri used to be! Where its like: here is the course. Here is the day we do it. Show up and do it, or dont. Your choice. Shit might get crazy, but thats why we are here. Oh and if you want us to make a 40lb log for you to pull for 8 miles, we will give you some sort of recognition.

Love to have you come join us. Im uh... def NOT doing the log thing. fwiw

daved

http://www.bows.bm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After XC running race hopped in pool:
50 fly: 47s
50 free: 39s

It's a start marker . Dive, no flip turn
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 26, 18 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooo.. I'm gonna try this tomorrow morning! //

Go for it Steve!! The way I did it there was not a ton of rest between these 4 max efforts. I was doing about a 1;28 for my easy free 100's, so basically one minute of real rest. I see that you have entered the meet this Sunday, looks like some pretty fast dudes in that 60-64 division too. That meet has always been tough, was tough when I was 55, and hasn't gotten any easier 7 years later it looks like. At what age do we just get to show up and podium??? (-;
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 free: 39s //

Here you go dev, and you can even do the XC ski race before too!! Better hurry though, sounds like this guy/girl? is going to crush these times and put them to bed soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
50 free: 39s //

Here you go dev, and you can even do the XC ski race before too!! Better hurry though, sounds like this guy/girl? is going to crush these times and put them to bed soon...

Thanks guys for all this participation. I think I need to refrain from turning on a clock yet,as I just had a cortisone injection in my disc on 22 Feb. I have been back in the pool 2 days and just gone at moderate paces, nothing nuts. I did notice more strength in both legs while using fins and dolphin kicking under water. This is a positive sign, and it is between 2-7 days that the injection starts having first effects, so I think I need to let this time frame expire before turning on the clock.

Congrats to Synthetic for the times and hopping into this thread. At least there is one other person in a similar range.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I did my 50s and... I suck!
Well, I have excuses, too... tough marathon on Saturday, tough swim workout yesterday and kinda tough leadup to doing these 50s...

500s
800 IM kwf
5x100IM@2:00 1:25/:25/:24/:24/:22
4x50@1:00 IM order Fly :40/ Back :44/ Breast :40/ Free (open turn) :33
100 cool

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually Steve it was not that bad, as you really did a broken 200IM and not really all out 50's. 2;37 broken IM is pretty solid, I think if you had done it like I did with an easy 100 in-between it would have gone a lot faster..

At any rate you have put down your sandbagged numbers, expect you will get most improved now...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea here Dev and Monty. Cool little challenge and not overkill either with any distances too bonkers like a 400 IM or 200 FLY! Gave it a go this morning at the end of a session. Did an EZ 50 in between each "all out" effort.

100 IM: 1:13
50 FLY: 31 secs
50 BACK: 33 secs
50 BREAST: 40 secs
50 FREE: 26 secs

Oh, BTW, I would have DQ'd in both FLY and BREAST cause I've gotten into a nasty habbit of only touching with one hand on the walls.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP Swimmer, FOP Triathlete. Male 35 adult onset swimmer.

50 fly (All SCY) 35
50 breast 47
50 back. 39
50 free 32
100 IM 1:24
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
Great idea here Dev and Monty. Cool little challenge and not overkill either with any distances too bonkers like a 400 IM or 200 FLY! Gave it a go this morning at the end of a session. Did an EZ 50 in between each "all out" effort.

100 IM: 1:13
50 FLY: 31 secs
50 BACK: 33 secs
50 BREAST: 40 secs
50 FREE: 26 secs

Oh, BTW, I would have DQ'd in both FLY and BREAST cause I've gotten into a nasty habbit of only touching with one hand on the walls.

What are you talking about. 200 fly and 400 IM LCM are coming later this month and you have to do them during the same swim session. Monty's just getting you guys warmed up!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Threw in a 100 IM to my swim this morning. SCM from a push - 1:14. Considering I went 1:11 in a meet, off the blocks and in a tech suit in November, I'm pretty happy with that.
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So target 5 min for the 400IM when it goes up later in the swim meet and you are fitter? or 5:15?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So target 5 min for the 400IM when it goes up later in the swim meet and you are fitter? or 5:15?

5min is pretty serious speed.

Coincidentally, I did a 100IM in the middle of practice yesterday.

Main set:

3x (
2 x 75 build to sprint on 1:30
50 ez
4 x 25 @ 40 flat out
50 ez
100 fast - neg split
50 ez
)
rounds 1 and 3 were free, round 2 IM. 1:19 for 100 IM (dunno if it was actually a neg split, but I did build the effort through the swim)

(SCM, 47 male)

But the big accomplishment was that I ran a tempo 5k at lunchtime yesterday, and then made it through the whole swim practice without the slightest hint of a cramp. ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Main set:

3x (
50 ez
4 x 25 @ 40 flat out
50 ez
100 fast - neg split
50 ez
)
rounds 1 and 3 were free, round 2 IM. 1:19 for 100 IM (dunno if it was actually a neg split, but I did build the effort through the swim)

(SCM, 47 male)

But the big accomplishment was that I ran a tempo 5k at lunchtime yesterday, and then made it through the whole swim practice without the slightest hint of a cramp. ;-)

Just out of curiosity, what's the generally accepted mapping from 100 IM to 400IM...4x plus 20-30 seconds seem reasonable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Hell no! That same meet where I went 1:11 for the 100IM, I also went 2:41 for the 200IM. I don't know what a 400 time would be but it would be ugly for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Main set:

3x (
50 ez
4 x 25 @ 40 flat out
50 ez
100 fast - neg split
50 ez
)

(SCM, 47 male)

Just out of curiosity, what's the generally accepted mapping from 100 IM to 400IM...4x plus 20-30 seconds seem reasonable?

I wouldn't even begin to guess, they are completely different beasts. But 4x plus 20-30 secs is way too aggressive.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next