Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should do. I haven't swum the 2IM in a while, but last time I did it I was a 2:36 or 37 (unshaved SCM) and a 2:36 (I think) LCM shaved at '14 Worlds.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread inspired me to see what I could do today:

1.25mile run to the pool, then after 1200 yards warmup:

100 free - 56.3
100 IM - 106.4 (first time I have done actual breaststroke kick in years, my knees do not like it)
50 fly - 28.2
50 free - 26.1

about 2 min between each

all SCY, no cap, from a push, times from my Garmin watch manually started and stopped on each (not an optimal way to finish, basically forces a 2 hand touch at the end), standard training jammer. Divsion: M37.
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive. That means you were def faster!
well done.
Those first few breast kicks always are a wake up call to being 43 years old

how old are you?
daved
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all SCY, no cap, from a push, times from my Garmin watch manually started and stopped on each (not an optimal way to finish, basically forces a 2 hand touch at the end), standard training jammer. Divsion: M37.///

He gave a nice detailed account of the swims at the end, just what I like to see.. Very nice workout swims too, double handed finishes and all!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Time to up our game??!
Nah
Time to brag about how fast we WERE!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brought my kid up the mountain and drove the hour with dan to the sat lap swim. Wasn't sure if I was feeling it, but since this was going to be the only time I get to actually swim in a pool with lane lines and a starting block, figured I better put up some numbers regardless.

Did a good 1k warm up set then did my 4x50s preceded by a 200p@4;00. Just enough to catch my breath and dissipate some lactate, although the 200's were all 2;37 to 2;39, so not that easy.

50 Fly(all SCY) 29.7
50 Back from blocks 39, then when it was all over had dan time me from a push in 36.55
50 Breast 37.5
50 Free. 28.03

When I did the first back from the blocks I quickly remembered 7 years earlier when I did that in a meet and did a horrendous back flop, no legs in the water to dolphin, and basically doing a water polo start. I got dan to time me from a push, as I then recalled that same mistake 7 years earlier. Amazing that I took off 2.5 seconds by doing that, go figure..

Pretty happy my fly broke 30 and was very surprised at the 28 flat for free, I was a bit gassed by then. No fuel left for a 100 IM, but looking at the times it should be sub 1;10 I would guess.

Not going to make it to the real pentathlon meet tomorrow, so it will be fun to extrapolate from these swims how I would have done. Figure 1/2 to maybe 1 second per 50 with a proper race suit and a lot more rest.

All swims in old work out jammers, from the blocks(except back of course) hand timed by Slowman himself. Male 62 (for real now too!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting observation about the start of the 50 back. I did a 50 back at a meet in October - race suit and properly warmed up and rested and managed a 35 something. Thursday I did a 36 something from a push in training gear after a tough'ish workout. Perhaps I suffer from the same issue using the blocks. I never train a proper start so it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Brought my kid up the mountain and drove the hour with dan to the sat lap swim. Wasn't sure if I was feeling it, but since this was going to be the only time I get to actually swim in a pool with lane lines and a starting block, figured I better put up some numbers regardless.

Did a good 1k warm up set then did my 4x50s preceded by a 200p@4;00. Just enough to catch my breath and dissipate some lactate, although the 200's were all 2;37 to 2;39, so not that easy.

50 Fly(all SCY) 29.7
50 Back from blocks 39, then when it was all over had dan time me from a push in 36.55
50 Breast 37.5
50 Free. 28.03

When I did the first back from the blocks I quickly remembered 7 years earlier when I did that in a meet and did a horrendous back flop, no legs in the water to dolphin, and basically doing a water polo start. I got dan to time me from a push, as I then recalled that same mistake 7 years earlier. Amazing that I took off 2.5 seconds by doing that, go figure..

Pretty happy my fly broke 30 and was very surprised at the 28 flat for free, I was a bit gassed by then. No fuel left for a 100 IM, but looking at the times it should be sub 1;10 I would guess.

Not going to make it to the real pentathlon meet tomorrow, so it will be fun to extrapolate from these swims how I would have done. Figure 1/2 to maybe 1 second per 50 with a proper race suit and a lot more rest.

All swims in old work out jammers, from the blocks(except back of course) hand timed by Slowman himself. Male 62 (for real now too!)

OK OK...congrats on your awesome swim, but when is Slowman posting his times? can you go beat up on him to join in?
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting observation about the start of the 50 back. /////

Ya, I recalled at that meet I did 7 years ago that a lot of the older guys and gals were doing in water starts. I thought to myself what a bunch of dorks, giving up free time!! Boy was I wrong, and until today did not know how wrong. From the push you get a nice streamline and I get 4 or 5 really good underwater dolphins, with a good breakout. With the block start I back flop, struggle to get my legs in the water for 3 weak dolphins and no real breakout.

I will never make that mistake again. Of course I was never a backstroker so I never mastered or even practiced that start. And even if I did, it of course has all changed from my swim days to an unrecognized start in comparison. I suppose I could spend a lot of time and energy, and perhaps maybe I could do a good enough start to beat my push off, but probably just get some injury I never heard of, in a muscle I never knew I even had...
Last edited by: monty: Mar 3, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK OK...congrats on your awesome swim, but when is Slowman posting his times? can you go beat up on him to join in? //

I did badger him to get up and swim at least a 50 free, but no go. But he did agree to do a push off 200 if I paced him in the next lane. So this was at the end of his workout of 6x200's@3;10(3;00 to 3;05) and some warm up stuff

200SCY free from a push with workout jammers 2;51(1;24+/1;26+)
61 year old man, AOS(well kind of if you don't count JR. lifeguards) His goal was 2;55, so we picked off that one and put up a decent # for him..
Last edited by: monty: Mar 3, 18 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
OK OK...congrats on your awesome swim, but when is Slowman posting his times? can you go beat up on him to join in? //

I did badger him to get up and swim at least a 50 free, but no go. But he did agree to do a push off 200 if I paced him in the next lane. So this was at the end of his workout of 6x200's@3;10(3;00 to 3;05) and some warm up stuff

200SCY free from a push with workout jammers 2;51(1;24+/1;26+)
62 year old man, AOS(well kind of if you don't count JR. lifeguards) His goal was 2;55, so we picked off that one and put up a decent # for him..

This is a start....shame him into the other strokes next time!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 8x100s @ 1:35 and 8x 100s 50 kick 25 build 25 ez IM order by 100 on 2:00 for warm up
Took a short rest and then
Scy. 50 fly 31
50 back 35
100IM 1:15

Did these on 2 minutes rest with a 50ez in between
From a push , no cap in a poly jammer 51M

I usually do an open turn for backstroke in practice but I hit a decent flip and underwater so I think that saved it. The IM I will try again when I do the breast /free 50s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHAT?!??
First off. Happy birthday.
Second. Hate say I told ya so, but... well. I told ya so! Broke 30 for the fly! That’s awesome. Too bad slowman didn’t have cajones to post some times but you and Dev can work on him.
Super swims monty. And that backstroke start stuff is for the birds. Never mastered it either. The stroke or the start. I mean. I did coach and work w gold medalist and world record holders in backstroke ... but personally can’t seem to get the body to do what the mind knows it should. Motivation is lacking too.
Anyways. Great swims!! Great job getting it done and fun to see all the activity on this thread. It’s good for Tri

Daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
WHAT?!??
First off. Happy birthday.
Second. Hate say I told ya so, but... well. I told ya so! Broke 30 for the fly! That’s awesome. Too bad slowman didn’t have cajones to post some times but you and Dev can work on him.
Super swims monty. And that backstroke start stuff is for the birds. Never mastered it either. The stroke or the start. I mean. I did coach and work w gold medalist and world record holders in backstroke ... but personally can’t seem to get the body to do what the mind knows it should. Motivation is lacking too.
Anyways. Great swims!! Great job getting it done and fun to see all the activity on this thread. It’s good for Tri

Daved

Yeah, the day I have beers with Lochte and Phelps this will be my excuse. I can watch youtube till I am blue in the face, coaches can beat my head with a sledgehammer and my body will not do what my brain tells it to do. I believe your quote above should go into forum rules.

As for slowman posting times, Monty, maybe we can add a 25m kickboard sprint next month into this. If Slowman joins that, I just may not be last place at something!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell Slowman that I have some really slow times that he can beat and relegate me to last place in this swim meet.

OK, these are not authorized events in the swim meet YET, but today I decided to "race" the 200 Butterfly, 200 IM and 400 IM in a single session....all short course meters with wall push off Male 52 years old.

1000m warmup and then 5x200m and 2 x 400m

first 200m easing in at 50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100 free
second 200m tempo 200 IM.

Then timed 200 Fly = 3:31

Went out at 1:43 for first 100m and positive split with a 1:48 second half

200 IM easy

Then 200IM timed = 3:40...my breast stroke sucks!!!!

100 free recovery

Then 400 IM timed = 7:37

...my back and breast stroke legs were pretty well the same speed as during 200IM :-(. On a plus note my fade vs 200IM was "only" 17 seconds. This is what happens when you have some strokes that are just limited by technical and not cardio

Closed workout off with 400m 50fly-50free times 4 steady

I am just posting these times for when Monty formally announces these events in the "meet" and then I will come back and do them again, hopefully faster.

I will do the standalone 50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free this week now that I can swim hard again. Clearly I have to bring down my back and breast times and the only way to do them faster in an IM is faster standalone!!!

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 6, 18 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 5 sec fade for your 200 fly is pretty good. No-one negative splits that race.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Then times 200 Fly = 3:31"

That's 3:31 faster than I can fly. Fly is the one stroke I never learned, it's on my things to do list though!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
A 5 sec fade for your 200 fly is pretty good. No-one negative splits that race.

I believe more than half of my fade was slower turns gasping for additional air in the final 4 turns! In any case, that is the first time in my life I did 200 fly and 400 IM timed, so this is the starting point to improve from.

Now I have to focus on the required events in the virtual swim meet and that is going to be what gets my 200IM and 400IM times down....if I can't do stuff fast (for me) standalone, there is no chance when you combine and are dying for oxygen.

In any case, I really enjoyed this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feels like youre manipulating Monty into some events that only you are going to do!
Dont give in monty.. please.
Actually I would rather do ALL of those events, than one 200bk for time.
--DAMN YOU BACKSTROKE!

Good work Dev.
Tomorrow is IM day so maybe ill post another time.
then again.. maybe i wont

daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Feels like youre manipulating Monty into some events that only you are going to do!
Dont give in monty.. please.
Actually I would rather do ALL of those events, than one 200bk for time.
--DAMN YOU BACKSTROKE!

Good work Dev.
Tomorrow is IM day so maybe ill post another time.
then again.. maybe i wont

daved

I am putting out some really slow times to manipulate the future event selection to bait Monty so that all of you guys can destroy those times. In the mean time, I better get on the "required events" and stop making excuses and post times for the required events!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam in the Cal Tech pentathlon on Sunday. Short course yards from the blocks. 37 Year old Male.

I was slightly slower than last year across the board.

50 Fly : 30.25
50 Back: 32.43
50 Breast: 33.61
50 Free: 26.02
100 IM: 1:05.18
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Male, age 48/9, all swims SCY

February Sanctioned Meet (swims off the blocks, with reaction times)
50 free :26.27
50 fly :29.18
I really thought that 50 free time would be faster. Same meet, I was 27.2 to the feet to open a 100 free, and had enough gas to bring it home in 29.1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solo workout today (swim from a wall start, no reaction time; shortly after a 10x50 fly set)
100 IM 1:12.80
As I rarely practice IM, all 3 turns were predictably atrocious.

I'll pick up the 50 breastroke and 50 backstroke in the next week. My back is awful; probably won't be any faster than the breast

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 7, 18 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 weeks out from my next meet...

Alberta Masters Championships
day 1
100 Fly
200 IM
100 Free

Day 2
800 Free
200 Back
200 Fly

Nationals program ...
max 7 events
Day 1
100 Fly
200 IM
800 Free

Day 2
400 Free
either 50 Fly or 200 Back

Day 3
200 Fly
1500 Free

would love to do 400 IM but that would make Day 3 suck. I am thinking if I get a good time at provincials in 2 Back then 50 Fly makes sense...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 fly, 400 IM and 1500 free in a single day is the stuff nightmares are made of! My first thought was to ask why they would schedule those 3 on the same day but I'm sure they thought something like "nobody does all 3 of those...". Except for Bo that is. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: ST February Virtual Swim Meet [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
today after 1600yd warmup.

29 free
39 breast
I scratched the 100Im I had to get to work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next