Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
The 2015 event schedule was posted today and I noticed that it's now a rolling start beginning at 6:40 for age groupers. Not clear how they'll handle it if its in the wetsuit gray zone. Perhaps they'll be at the back of the line.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/f364a47f7c2b4d86bf629bbcfe46ad16/2015%20im%20texas%20event%20schedule%203%2018%202.pdf

Simple... no Candy Ass grey zone. Do it as ITU does... all wetsuits or all not.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
How did you manage to get that picture when you are always one of the first out of the water TJ?

Because TJ didn't race last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you just type 'irregardless'?

GrimOopNorth wrote:
sylvan wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Also, how's the finish managed? Midnight cut-off, or 17 (or whatever) hour cut-off, and if so, how does the finish line staff know if you've come in under the cut-off? Check your name against the chip time prior to the hug/t-shirt/medal fest?
If the last starter is timed at 6:56, the final cutoff will be 11:56 pm. Anybody who finishes before that, but goes over 17 hours, is officially a DNF, but they'll get a medal and a hug and I assume a shirt. Nobody's checking for sub-17 in the finish chute although it could be done. I'm looking at the final times and know if somebody is over 17, but I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by going full-on finisher-nazi in the chute and withholding finisher swag from 17+ "finishers". They've pretty much always gotten medals anyway if they come in after midnight, as long as it's not 2:30 am and everybody's gone.

Sucks to be the guy/gal who comes in after the cut-off at another race and is told nah, you're too late, or gets pulled off the course because they're just outside a course cut-off point on the run. But like you say, they'll usually end up with the swag if they make it to the finish line irregardless of the time they do it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
jakers wrote:
How did you manage to get that picture when you are always one of the first out of the water TJ?

Because TJ didn't race last year.

^ this. Or my transition spot was REALLY far away.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad for those of us who want to race. In a mass start or wave start you are racing head to head meaning if you pass someone you are ahead of them. In TT start you can finish ahead of someone and still get beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Danobain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danobain wrote:
Too bad for those of us who want to race. In a mass start or wave start you are racing head to head meaning if you pass someone you are ahead of them. In TT start you can finish ahead of someone and still get beat.

Not if, like in many IM 70.3 races, they split some AGs into 2 or 3 different waves.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [gregyea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregyea wrote:

GrimOopNorth wrote:
sylvan wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Also, how's the finish managed? Midnight cut-off, or 17 (or whatever) hour cut-off, and if so, how does the finish line staff know if you've come in under the cut-off? Check your name against the chip time prior to the hug/t-shirt/medal fest?
If the last starter is timed at 6:56, the final cutoff will be 11:56 pm. Anybody who finishes before that, but goes over 17 hours, is officially a DNF, but they'll get a medal and a hug and I assume a shirt. Nobody's checking for sub-17 in the finish chute although it could be done. I'm looking at the final times and know if somebody is over 17, but I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by going full-on finisher-nazi in the chute and withholding finisher swag from 17+ "finishers". They've pretty much always gotten medals anyway if they come in after midnight, as long as it's not 2:30 am and everybody's gone.

Sucks to be the guy/gal who comes in after the cut-off at another race and is told nah, you're too late, or gets pulled off the course because they're just outside a course cut-off point on the run. But like you say, they'll usually end up with the swag if they make it to the finish line irregardless of the time they do it in.

There is no such word as 'irregardless'
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
gregyea wrote:

GrimOopNorth wrote:
sylvan wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

And that's your take away from my post? You must be a blast at refereeing street countdown.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Danobain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall, they got all 2000+ athletes into the water in 90sec at IMCDA the year I did it.

I am reasonably certain all of my competition were in the water within 20sec of me which in an IM is as good as starting together.

I think you will find the change to be better for the overall race experience. The swim will start faster most likely, since you won't have to wait while the masses slowly wade to the deep water start.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
If I recall, they got all 2000+ athletes into the water in 90sec at IMCDA the year I did it.

I am reasonably certain all of my competition were in the water within 20sec of me which in an IM is as good as starting together.

I think you will find the change to be better for the overall race experience. The swim will start faster most likely, since you won't have to wait while the masses slowly wade to the deep water start.

Jack

I think 90 seconds is being a little generous. Probably more like 10-15 minutes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was in the 1-1:15 group (near the last quarter of people) and I was in the water about 90sec after the first person, so 10min or more for everyone. Doesn't really change my point, which is that there won't be much separation for competitive people.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I think 90 seconds is being a little generous. Probably more like 10-15 minutes.
Coeur d'Alene is about 14 minutes and it's the fastest. Lake Placid was 18 minutes. Boulder 22 minutes. Depends on how wide they can go. Louisville takes 40 minutes because of the narrow dock. Chattanooga was 30 minutes - same reason. Not sure what Woodlands will be like but I'm guessing about 20 minutes. They're not bottlenecked by a dock but it's not as wide open as the beach at CDA. Coeur d'Alene is also perfect for a warmup before the start. They just cordon off a decent-sized area of lake parallel to the path you're walking along the beach to get to the start. Woodlands will probably be a bit tighter but they'll figure something out.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just completed IM Melbourne which had a rolling start, 6 at a time. I have always been a big fan of mass starts because of the draft, you are literally pulled away and the swim can be effortless

While this years swim was a lot less messy (and harder as a result), i noticed there was ALOT less packs and drafting on the bike. The difference was night and day. Think when you have 2500 spread out over 30 mins, its has an impact on the bike course. It was a much fairer race!!!! No packs and maybe a few tiny paletons (small ones)

Unfortunately, this is probably the way forward, will miss the mass starts but the upside is a much fairer bike leg
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
JMike wrote:
gregyea wrote:

GrimOopNorth wrote:
sylvan wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

And that's your take away from my post? You must be a blast at refereeing street countdown.

Good point. My takeaway is that you lack a rudimentary knowledge of the English language.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
JMike wrote:
gregyea wrote:

GrimOopNorth wrote:
sylvan wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

Good point. My takeaway is that you lack a rudimentary knowledge of the English language.

My bad, the OP lacks basic English skills is what I took away.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he got sucked into that hippy crowd and never found his way out of T1
Was a little disappointed to hear about the rolling start. I understand what WTC is trying to do but I would prefer knowing that everyone in my age group started at the same time.
Last edited by: ChevyTri27: Mar 24, 15 4:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Coeur d'Alene is about 14 minutes and it's the fastest. Lake Placid was 18 minutes. Boulder 22 minutes. Depends on how wide they can go. Louisville takes 40 minutes because of the narrow dock. Chattanooga was 30 minutes - same reason. Not sure what Woodlands will be like but I'm guessing about 20 minutes. They're not bottlenecked by a dock but it's not as wide open as the beach at CDA. Coeur d'Alene is also perfect for a warmup before the start. They just cordon off a decent-sized area of lake parallel to the path you're walking along the beach to get to the start. Woodlands will probably be a bit tighter but they'll figure something out.

How wide is the dock at Louisville? The dock at Lake Woodlands is roughly 15-20 people wide (guessing) with a wooden dock extending out. I would guess total time could be closer to the 40 min mark like Louisville. Last question, Is the rolling start on the swim specifically used to cut down on drafting on the bike? I can only believe that would be the case for this race. Some buddies of mine were really beaten up during the swim last year, but they hung out by the dock in the beginning. I swam out to the middle of the lake for the start and while i did run into folks on the way out, i had a pretty easy swim ( I am not a fast swimmer, finished 1:11). I ran into more folks in the canal than i did in the lake. I am just wondering what others thought about the reason to turn from mass to rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [trigeekjb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louisville essentially puts the entire field through a single file line. When you get close to the start, the line gets split into two for actually entering the water, but the bottleneck is the single file line getting down to the docks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's ongoing construction along both sides of the waterway just east of the finish line that won't be completed prior to the race (the south side *may* be finished but the north side definitely will not be). I'm curious to see how they reroute the run.

Previous year's map: Link

Picture from mid-February, taken from the bridge that the finish line sits on:

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
There's ongoing construction along both sides of the waterway just east of the finish line that won't be completed prior to the race (the south side *may* be finished but the north side definitely will not be). I'm curious to see how they reroute the run.

Previous year's map: Link

Picture from mid-February, taken from the bridge that the finish line sits on:

South side pedestrian bridge will be open. The north side though there are a few options being sorted out. Good chance everyone will head off the waterway (like you're heading to the finish) and then multi loopers will drop back down in and around the fountains. I haven't spoken with anyone at WTC, but the rate that they are building the hotel makes it seem close that the building will be closed in by race day, meaning that I still have hope a carpet/trail along the water might be possible for those 400 feet.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
South side pedestrian bridge will be open. The north side though there are a few options being sorted out. Good chance everyone will head off the waterway (like you're heading to the finish) and then multi loopers will drop back down in and around the fountains. I haven't spoken with anyone at WTC, but the rate that they are building the hotel makes it seem close that the building will be closed in by race day, meaning that I still have hope a carpet/trail along the water might be possible for those 400 feet.

I spoke with the superintendent for the hotel today and he said that optimistically, the tower crane will come down in June. The main tower of the hotel is dried in about halfway up but the surrounding steel structure still has a fair amount of work to be done. For safety reasons I don't think they'll allow runners through the job site, crane or no crane. Glad to hear there are alternates.

I haven't talked with my contacts on the bridge project in awhile so I didn't know the south side would be open. They'll be cutting it close if that's the case.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. No issues. Slight angle to the right upon entry. no big deal
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMFL 2013 was a shit show with the start. Horrendous.

And the thing with IMFL is that ease with which people can cut the course at the top and 2013 only accentuated that.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Shit show." Yep, that's spot on!

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
"Shit show." Yep, that's spot on!

I've done it every year since 2009. It's the same every year. Last year however was the single exception.
Last edited by: Bryan0721: Apr 1, 15 18:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next