Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
SemperUbiSubUbi wrote:
Sure sounds like it. To be fair, I'm merely an average swimmer and perhaps seeded myself too far back. My experience may well have been self inflicted, but the dark water, wetsuits, and congestion resulted in a beating unlike any I've experienced in other IMs. The swim course layout and canal is cool though and I bet for front-pack swimmers, a lot of fun. Agree as well that the reduction in mass swim starts is unfortunate, especially for folks trying to KQ, and that they'll probably need to modify the start (maybe a pontoon) to make this work.

There is a huge difference on that swim course between the FOP swimmers and the middle of the bell curve swimmers.

I did it the first year and swam a 1:09 and thought it was too congested, especially the canal, and I was still 15 or 20 minutes faster than the average time. Every year since I have watched the race and the 1:00 and below folks really swim in different conditions from that perspective. Smooth water, they're spaced out nicely with lots of room to swim and maneuver, etc. It's a stark contrast to the 1:15-1:40 swimmers and that is more amplified in the canal.

I can echo your experience.....swam around 1:08 last year and it was a certifiable gong show in the canal with not that much open space. I can't imagine what the 1:15-1:30 zone was like. The canal was certainly way more congested than the start. I had a fast enough transition that I probably came out with most of the 1:05 guys, and the road was a bit too tight for my liking early on with too much speed differential between riders going through the urban areas. You really had to keep you head on while passing etc and likewise for the people being passed.

Because you're down in the water, it 'feels' more crowded than it is. This is a photo of the waterway right by the finish at the busiest time...

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you manage to get that picture when you are always one of the first out of the water TJ?

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev-

wondering how they handle pre-swim warmup on the rolling start. I'm one of those old guys that need to warm up before I start to race...
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
Correct. I have been told the philosophy behind this method is IM is an individual event. Everyone has to race their own smart race. It's the one thing I don't like about rolling starts, just as you.

Good to see WTC is erasing the psychological effect of being chased/ chasing down a competitor. Does this mean there's no drafting in the swim either, since everyone's racing their own race (pink)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
You know who Sylvan is, right?

He really is THE GUY who keeps track of the time at the IM events.

Then the answer to him is simple - the same way as you have been doing it at other IM events the past 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2015 theyre also introducing a rolling start at IM Switzerland. According to the website it will be:

What is a rolling start?
Athletes will line up according to their realistic (!) predicted swim time (self-seeding) and every five seconds, we will send out ten athletes. It will take approximately 20 minutes to get the entire field across the swim start line.
In effect, this will create a “time trial” dynamic for the race and for the determination of the final results.

Please notice: The predicted swim time does not have to be communicated to the race officials in advance.

Originally from: http://m.ironman.com/...t.aspx#ixzz3UxoZSpOe
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMLP a few years ago, they had a warm up zone that was actually just beside the departure point. It was actually the chute for the swim finish which was doubling as the warm up zone. After your warmup, you can came back and you walked through the "swim finish" and across to the "swim start" corrals. For some reason that year I did not read the athlete guide (It was my 11th time at IMLP, and only showed up at the start at 6:27 (had only woken up at 5 am). Was at the start 3 min before the gun went off (normal swim start was at 7 am, so I just planned my day based on that). As it turned out, I was able to start at a relaxed warmup pace anyway and did not need my normal "anti freak out' warmup.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
endoverend wrote:
so, basically you won't have a clue where you are in relation to your competitors?! Nightmare for anyone chasing a kona slot. I guess this completely robs the event of any resemblance to a 'race'.
Dumbing down me-thinks!

Just like a TT...it's still a race....you need to go full throttle to the finish line.

What you do know is the last time that someone entered the water. So let's say you start 10 min after the first racer, all you have to do is ask the timing guys when you crossed how long it took everyone to start. The answer is likely 22-25 minutes based on previous race sends offs. So if you entered at 10 minutes, 15 minutes after you cross the finish line, your position is your final position. No one one can pass you after that. Until then, it's like be the skier at the bottom of the famed Hahnekammin run Kitzbuel with the best time, biting his/her nails to see if the time stands.....just a different type of race, but a race nonetheless.

No race Dev in my view, you miss the real-time 'one on one' battle with your fellow AG competitors - as you know, a big factor on a multi-lap course is tracking your competitors, counting their lap bands - are you in a slot position etc, etc.
Just think WTC have knee-jerked a tad on this and are pandering to the 1st timers who maybe are nervous about the swim (altho' I've raced many & still get nervous). Commercial reasons for all this? If it prolongs our sport & attracts new folks then all good I guess but still dumbing-down and taking away the competitive angle...

Also it did occur to me that it would be easier to arrange my swim squad buddies on race morning so that we'll all start together and I can get a nice familiar draft - just kidding! ;-)

I did Ironman Chattanooga -- had rolling start. It is indeed a race. I would even call it more of a race but its a race against time not against your fellow AGer running next to you. It adds to the race in my mind, not knowing much about what your position is. All you can do is to try to max out without blowing up. No tactics, just give it all you got and see where the cards fall. Isnt that racing?

On the positive side, it adds a lot of safety. I had basically zero contact during the swim. I have never had anxciety but I cannot see how it can be a bad thing that WTC focuses on safety. Ironman is supposed to be damn hard but not unsafe in my view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMMD was a rolling start on a boat ramp. It was self-seeding with it only being a bit cramped at start since they were letting 8-10 wide enter the water at once. I liked it because it helped space out the people in T1 and on the bike. You also had no issues seeding yourself wherever you wanted to start and you did not need to lineup early. It seemed like most people took their time getting into the water.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Chattanooga last year and IMLou as well in 2013 with a TT start. The issue I have with rolling starts is waiting in line for so long before the start. I also did Texas last year and it was my first mass start IM. I am slow swimmer (1:30 at Texas) and I didn't have much of a problem with the mass start because I stayed out of the way. I stayed on the edge on the right side and by doing this I was only around a handful of swimmers. If you're a strong swimmer then by all means go in the middle or near the front if you want. Trust me if you are a sub 1:15 I won't get in your way. :).

Here is my opinion on a TT/ rolling start.You have your pros the way they do it and then you create an elite field for ALL age groupers.You have to 'qualify' (I don't mean Kona) to get into this elite field. Meaning you have to have completed another full or half distance and been in say the top 5% (I open to idea's on the %) of your age group. So even if you're 70 years old and you are in the top '5%' you are entitled to this elite field. You then have the choice if you want to start after the pros or go into a seeding the way Lake Placid does it.

The Hartford Marathon does something called preferred seeding. I had to run sub 1:40ish for a 1/2 marathon or a sub 3:30 based on my age group.

So maybe we call this preferred seeding and not elite field.

Full disclosure: I am NOT in this top 5%. I just don't think it's fair for someone who is say a sub 11:00 IM has to pass potentially over a 1,000 people or more. So I know it means I am waiting in line which I am okay with until I earn it.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here is my opinion on a TT/ rolling start.You have your pros the way they do it and then you create an elite field for ALL age groupers.You have to 'qualify' (I don't mean Kona) to get into this elite field. Meaning you have to have completed another full or half distance and been in say the top 5% (I open to idea's on the %) of your age group. So even if you're 70 years old and you are in the top '5%' you are entitled to this elite field. You then have the choice if you want to start after the pros or go into a seeding the way Lake Placid does it.

I've long been a proponent of a slightly modified version of this. I think it'd be a great idea if there was a "Kona" start and then a rolling start 10 minutes later. The Kona wave would be self selecting and no qualification necessary to get in it. But, if you want a shot at Kona you've got to start in this wave. Everyone else does a rolling start 10 minutes later.

This preserves the "race" aspect for the pointy end of the field and also creates a friendlier and safer environment for everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

I've long been a proponent of a slightly modified version of this. I think it'd be a great idea if there was a "Kona" start and then a rolling start 10 minutes later. The Kona wave would be self selecting and no qualification necessary to get in it. But, if you want a shot at Kona you've got to start in this wave. Everyone else does a rolling start 10 minutes later.

This preserves the "race" aspect for the pointy end of the field and also creates a friendlier and safer environment for everyone else.

Even better - You get seeded by previous Ironman or Half Ironman SWIM times. (People can be a fast overall Ironman finisher and still be slow in the swim). If you don't have a previous time, you start in the back. Ironman can hold openwater swim tests for a fee to get you an official time. A way for them to make extra bucks, which they do seem to be in love with.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, some just make too much of this. I assume the rolling start at IMLT is the same as others. They have folks standing around with signs and times. But you can go anywhere you want at any time
you want. No rush to get their early. I decided to start towards the front and tried to stay at the side.

As far as a swim warm up, since so many races I do are so cold that no way will I ever do a pre swim again, one just needs to do some running, jumping jacks, etc. that gets the heart rate going.
I see no reason to need a pre swim for a IM distance anyways.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, some just make too much of this. I assume the rolling start at IMLT is the same as others. They have folks standing around with signs and times. But you can go anywhere you want at any time
you want. No rush to get their early. I decided to start towards the front and tried to stay at the side.

As far as a swim warm up, since so many races I do are so cold that no way will I ever do a pre swim again, one just needs to do some running, jumping jacks, etc. that gets the heart rate going.

There are many good reasons for a warm up swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:
so, basically you won't have a clue where you are in relation to your competitors?! Nightmare for anyone chasing a kona slot. I guess this completely robs the event of any resemblance to a 'race'.
Dumbing down me-thinks!

could not agree more.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

There are many good reasons for a warm up swim.

My point is for some races you cannot get a warm up swim, so one better have a process ready just in case.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the warmup swim is mandatory at all WTC races per their SwimSmart initiative.

Mandatory is in it's available and not that you'd have to do it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, to me, the simplest way to fix this is to make it the same way running races do it:

Your "official time" is chip time, and cutoffs are based on your chip time. For overall and age group awards (Kona slots), it's based on gun time. Just puts some of the head-to-head dynamic back in the race while also giving people the seeding in the swim start. Considering that, for most AGs, Kona slots will wind up out of the water in 1:10-1:15…how long does it take for that group to hit the water?

I just would like to see head-to-head continue. I think it adds an element of simplicity and elegance to the proceedings: the person who gets to the finish line first wins.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the simplest way is to have age group waves. That way you are still racing head to head for a Kona spot and you spread the field out.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
I think the simplest way is to have age group waves. That way you are still racing head to head for a Kona spot and you spread the field out.

One problem with that solution is that it's unfair to the fast swimmers in the waves that start later on. They have to swim around a ton of "bobs" that went in earlier waves so they are put at disadvantage to the slower swimmers in their age group who won't have to swim around any or many others.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

One problem with that solution is that it's unfair to the fast swimmers in the waves that start later on. They have to swim around a ton of "bobs" that went in earlier waves so they are put at disadvantage to the slower swimmers in their age group who won't have to swim around any or many others.

I see your point but fast cyclists who are slow swimmers, regardless of what kind of start there is, have to go around slow bicyclists. Same with fast runners.

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

I see your point but fast cyclists who are slow swimmers, regardless of what kind of start there is, have to go around slow bicyclists. Same with fast runners.

Of course they should learn to swim faster:)

I would agree that a "Kona wave" makes good sense but can just imagine 90% of the field would chose that group thinking the magic sh*t might just happen for them on that day.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I believe the warmup swim is mandatory at all WTC races per their SwimSmart initiative.

Nola70.3 doesn't do it. They should, but can't as far as I can tell (logistically). They are a WTC branded race, but it is not run by WTC.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Nola70.3 doesn't do it. They should, but can't as far as I can tell (logistically). They are a WTC branded race, but it is not run by WTC.

And this again is my point. For whatever reasons, at some races one might not be able to do a swim warm up. So one better have a plan and process
to get warmed up before the swim start. After getting hypothermia from doing a swim warmup early in the season in 52 degree water, I will never ever do that again.
So I just keep the warm clothes, wetsuit on right before the swim start, doing some running, jumping jacks, etc. Whatever it takes to get my heart rate up before
I start the swim. Have read a number of articles on pros doing the same, Andy Potts was the lasted video I watched with him talking about it.

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling start at IMTX this year [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

Of course they should learn to swim faster:)

I would agree that a "Kona wave" makes good sense but can just imagine 90% of the field would chose that group thinking the magic sh*t might just happen for them on that day.

Hugh

I am not sure that is true. I think it is true about a lot of people on slowtwitch, but it isn't true in general. In general people do not like to embarrass themselves. Even the Type As.

The Kona wave will happen, but it will likely be sold not earned...
Quote Reply

Prev Next