Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

This is why no one is taking you seriously and you are chasing your tail. You speak out of both sides of your mouth on a topic that you clearly haven't mastered. And then you complain that people are misquoting you or arguing semantics.

And here we were having a decent discussion before you had to come in and throw out your unfounded b.s. without nary a pertinent rebuttal in sight.

Thanks for the party crash, bud.

Or I addressed your question per argument with Shane. Guess, once again, you can't support your own argument.

Maybe after you work on your reading and communication skills, you can pick up a physiology book or read research on pubmed.

You're incoherent at this point.

You have nothing to say that's of any use to what's being discussed. You've gone the way of Francois. Hopefully you'll retreat to the sidelines with him soon enough.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey heath -

When you called it moving the goal posts - you totally nailed it.

We started with this:

Quote:
I would not suggest doing that type of training load on the bike for a long period of time as you're likely going to ride yourself ragged and come race time be dead. Base should be focused more on increasing aerobic development than maximizing anaerobic abilities as those erode the aerobic base. Doing weekly 5x5min and 20 min TT tests should come later on in a build period, 4-6 weeks out from the main part of your season. You just can't sustain that sort of workload for very long before you crash headlong into a wall of diminishing returns before falling off a cliff of staleness and overreaching.

And now we are here:

Quote:
None of the above has anything to do with the point I raised, however: that being that once an athlete has been brought to a peak, that you can simply add to that fitness.

needmoreair - No one is contending (that I can see), you can simply taper and then simple smack things around from there. The argument is your contention of what base training should be for triathlon, and based on your original post above - for your typical triathlete, you are incorrect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

Please copy and paste where I said that.

needmoreair wrote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last.

Crickets.

Quote:
Uh huh what?

You (and DD) are the ones saying everything adds to base.

I give you a specific example of work not adding to base (peak) and you take that example and run off on a tangent about how to make someone peak?

You can take an athlete and do that and have a moderate build progression that never sees them having to significantly overreach/overcompensate. I specifically said that in a previous post.

You cannot, however, take an athlete and plan to peak them, overreach them, decide "hey, I'll just keep building them instead of tapering to allow for fitness gains", and then keep expecting them to improve.

None of the above has anything to do with the point I raised, however: that being that once an athlete has been brought to a peak, that you can simply add to that fitness.

I was asking why an athlete peaks; how does one elicit a peak and how does that differ from a progressive overload that leads to continual improvement?

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

First you said I was talking about a reduction in training volume, now you say I'm talking about recovery.

I'm not talking about either as I have pointedly repeated a number of times. "Recharging" is getting back to that base and build period.

You can guarantee it includes tempo and threshold? Wonderful. I'd certainly hope so seeing as how I've been saying that from the beginning.

I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum at this point. If you're going to allege that I'm saying or not saying something, at least do me the favor of reading through a few of my earlier posts so I don't have to keep correcting these assertions.

And finally, yet again, I have never, ever advocated the "traditional" long, slow distance idea of base. Ever. Not what's being discussed here.

You are describing what happens with a reduction in volume coupled with an increase in racing and HIIT. Perhaps if you take a peak at your training log you will see this. But your assertion that the stimulus of interval training reduces the aerobic component does not hold water. You've been able to provide zero examples except your own experience when others on here have provided multiple links to disprove that assertion.

Recharging is recovery. You can call it what you want, but that's what it is.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

I give you a specific example of work not adding to base (peak) and you take that example and run off on a tangent about how to make someone peak?

You can take an athlete and do that and have a moderate build progression that never sees them having to significantly overreach/overcompensate. I specifically said that in a previous post.

You cannot, however, take an athlete and plan to peak them, overreach them, decide "hey, I'll just keep building them instead of tapering to allow for fitness gains", and then keep expecting them to improve.

The argument you're trying to make keep shifting and hasn't been well articulated from the start. So you'll have to forgive me (and every other person on this forum) for not being able to understand what the point of your argument is.

I'll respond with a few succinct points -

1. Intensity does not erode aerobic fitness, though a shift away from volume to exclusively high intensity training will. That's the result of lack of volume. Not some kind of bizarre physiological adaptation where training makes you less fit.

2. If you do not taper/peak an athlete, you could continue to build on that fitness indefinitely - as long as you're varying the stimulus (intensity, duration).

3. L1/L2 exclusive training in base/build/peak friel-esque models is bs. That's DD's point. A marathon runner is going to be doing v02 work early in the season and subthreshold work as the race approaches. A 1500/5k runner will be doing the opposite. General to specific. Those Kenyans that threw down at the major marathon's this fall? They're not going back and running all easy miles now. There's a recovery period then they're back to working on the systems that were neglected during the marathon build - hills, v02, leg speed, etc, etc - not just easy running.

Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
sentania wrote:
Hmmmm - it's interesting that we typed pretty close to the same thing.

Ha, I about used the Coggan quote, "Cycling is an aerobic sport damnit."

The truth is almost everyone is saying the same thing.

It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Some of you are failing to read and understand.

No, what everyone but you is saying that everything adds to the aerobic component. You are saying, and have said multiple times, that interval training reduces the aerobic component.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Hey heath -

When you called it moving the goal posts - you totally nailed it.

We started with this:

Quote:
I would not suggest doing that type of training load on the bike for a long period of time as you're likely going to ride yourself ragged and come race time be dead. Base should be focused more on increasing aerobic development than maximizing anaerobic abilities as those erode the aerobic base. Doing weekly 5x5min and 20 min TT tests should come later on in a build period, 4-6 weeks out from the main part of your season. You just can't sustain that sort of workload for very long before you crash headlong into a wall of diminishing returns before falling off a cliff of staleness and overreaching.

And now we are here:

Quote:

needmoreair - No one is contending (that I can see), you can simply taper and then simple smack things around from there. The argument is your contention of what base training should be for triathlon, and based on your original post above - for your typical triathlete, you are incorrect.

The person I responded to wrote this:
Quote:
Now I have been reading a lot on getting a greater ftp and workouts to do during the winter, 16week plans and so on. I have been doing one of the plans similar to BarryPs running, doing 2x20min, 5x5min, all out 20min TT tests

I took the above to mean that he was doing that in a week for multiple weeks. I said that was far too much.

I couldn't do that much workload for a sustained period of time and I'd venture that I have far more experience on a bike than that person.

Now if I took that incorrectly and those three workouts are something he's doing in a rotation with maybe just one or two a week, then fair play. But if that is a weekly workload then I stick by what I said about that being far too much and not being sustainable and him likely being dead by race time.

Would you disagree?
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
sentania wrote:
Hmmmm - it's interesting that we typed pretty close to the same thing.

Ha, I about used the Coggan quote, "Cycling is an aerobic sport damnit."

The truth is almost everyone is saying the same thing.

It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Some of you are failing to read and understand.

No, what everyone but you is saying that everything adds to the aerobic component. You are saying, and have said multiple times, that interval training reduces the aerobic component.

No, I most emphatically have not.

You're failing to read and understand as well.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

needmoreair wrote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last.

Crickets.

Quote:
Uh huh what?

I was asking why an athlete peaks; how does one elicit a peak and how does that differ from a progressive overload that leads to continual improvement?

Shane

You still haven't copied and pasted what I asked. You can't because you're wrong and I didn't say what you're asserting I said.

I answered your question. Go back and reread. I think I answered it in multiple posts.

Seriously, try reading. It'll help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This thread.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously after a peak an athlete needs to recover. But I'm not seeing what that has to do with "base training? That's called managing training load and stress on the body.

It seems like you're making a few assumptions that need to be clarified:

1. Intensity is not proportional to overall training load. Intensity can go up while training load decreases and vice versa.
2. Peaking does not mean increasing the amount of intensity. In some cases it does, but peaking for an ironman should mean a decrease in intensity with volume significantly increasing.
3. Progressive training load, with properly managed recovery will continue to increase fitness. Even during and after a peak. Your body needs that continued stress with the following supercompensation in order to get stronger.
4. Base is a made up concept. It doesn't correlate to specific physiological systems. What matters is the specific adaptations that are being targetted and managing training load.
5. If a person needs a significant recovery period in the "off-season" in order to recharge and focus on low intensity training, then their training load wasn't properly managed during the racing season.
6. If certain adaptations are lost during peak training, either a) the training done wasn't appropriate or b) the adapations weren't as important for the goal race. (i.e. VO2 max when training for long course)

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
The argument you're trying to make keep shifting and hasn't been well articulated from the start. So you'll have to forgive me (and every other person on this forum) for not being able to understand what the point of your argument is.

1. Intensity does not erode aerobic fitness, though a shift away from volume to exclusively high intensity training will. That's the result of lack of volume. Not some kind of bizarre physiological adaptation where training makes you less fit.

2. If you do not taper/peak an athlete, you could continue to build on that fitness indefinitely - as long as you're varying the stimulus (intensity, duration).

3. L1/L2 exclusive training in base/build/peak friel-esque models is bs. That's DD's point. A marathon runner is going to be doing v02 work early in the season and subthreshold work as the race approaches. A 1500/5k runner will be doing the opposite. General to specific. Those Kenyans that threw down at the major marathon's this fall? They're not going back and running all easy miles now. There's a recovery period then they're back to working on the systems that were neglected during the marathon build - hills, v02, leg speed, etc, etc - not just easy running.

The argument I'm making is that base training is not bullshit and that when you are at peak fitness, you are not adding to a base and you are not engaged in base training.

1. So you say. I don't agree.
2. I've already said that.
3. No one is talking about base being solely L1/L2. That has nothing to do with anything. I've addressed general-specific a number of times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

You still haven't copied and pasted what I asked. You can't because you're wrong and I didn't say what you're asserting I said.

Ok.

Quote:
I answered your question. Go back and reread. I think I answered it in multiple posts.

There comes a point where one needs to stopping banging one's head against the wall; I'm pretty sure we are at that point.

I would suggest that if your communications skills and understanding of physiology were at the level you believe they are, you wouldn't feel to need to insist everyone else is either incorrect or misunderstanding you.

Shane
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Obviously after a peak an athlete needs to recover. But I'm not seeing what that has to do with "base training? That's called managing training load and stress on the body.

It seems like you're making a few assumptions that need to be clarified:

1. Intensity is not proportional to overall training load. Intensity can go up while training load decreases and vice versa.
2. Peaking does not mean increasing the amount of intensity. In some cases it does, but peaking for an ironman should mean a decrease in intensity with volume significantly increasing.
3. Progressive training load, with properly managed recovery will continue to increase fitness. Even during and after a peak. Your body needs that continued stress with the following supercompensation in order to get stronger.
4. Base is a made up concept. It doesn't correlate to specific physiological systems. What matters is the specific adaptations that are being targetted and managing training load.
5. If a person needs a significant recovery period in the "off-season" in order to recharge and focus on low intensity training, then their training load wasn't properly managed during the racing season.
6. If certain adaptations are lost during peak training, either a) the training done wasn't appropriate or b) the adapations weren't as important for the goal race. (i.e. VO2 max when training for long course)

The point about the peak being it is not simply part of a base that can be added to. That's the entirety of that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:

^^This. There's no reason to make up new terminology. Training is training. Recovery is recovery, and part of every training block--that's just common sense and not at question. For me, base has lots of tempo and sweet spot. I'm not a believer in spending hours at LSD, which many misconceive as base. But I'm also not going to do vo2 max and sprint work in the winter because 1) I don't enjoy it, and 2) those efforts put a big hurt on my body and ability to do loads of volume at what's a good intensity for me.

I have no idea where this idea that race intensity erodes base, and requires a return to it, came from. If all someone does is race crits and never gets in a long ride, then sure, you're going to lose some of the endurance required to do a four-hour road race. More common sense. But racing a crit in itself is not the cause of a decline in "base" fitness, not training properly is.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Nov 12, 13 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heath, when do you want to go to reading class with me, Brian, Shane, Trispoke, riltri and everyone else but Jason in this thread? I heard they have great reading teachers in TN.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys can go to reading class during the "recharge" or recovery period from this post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We know that reading comprehension and following an argument is hard for you, so I will spell out some of the stuff that you keep repeating that is incorrect

You: post #176:
Quote:
In addition, at peak fitness you're no longer adding anything to anything. You're maintaining or regressing. That's why it's a peak.

You: post #186:

Quote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last. There is nothing building on anything, here.

You contend that there is 'nothing' is gained during peak/race. Instead, you argue that it is all about maintaining and preventing a regression.

Shane: post #191
Quote:
So are you saying that if I do a race that the stress of the event does not result in any fitness gains?

You: post #201
Quote:
No, of course not on both questions.

So which is it? Do I achieve fitness gains during peak/race or do I maintain or prevent regression? It can't be both.

Shane: post #207
Quote:

But you said that intensity eroded endurance and have also stated that one cannot gain fitness while racing?

You: post #210

Quote:

You: post #234
Quote:

And you wonder why no one can follow your argument? You can't even keep up with what you said.

So which is it? If I am training at my peak/race phase am I adding to my fitness? I (and others) would argue yes. I certainly know that during my peak week(s) those workouts were tough and made me a stronger athlete. I know the race made me a stronger athlete. All that contributes to my aerobic base as an athlete.

Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

IMO, many of us owe needmoreair a huge thank you. He has drawn some very good information out of other STers which has helped many of us understand this subject better. THANK YOU!! Now, in all due respect, your comments have deteriorated to a point that very few here will ever take you seriously. You have a very good understanding of the subject but the bolded portions above is what you seem to be missing. Until you incorporate those two thoughts into your analysis, you are, as someone else pointed out, just merely chasing your own tail. IOW, your arguments may be convincing yourself, but not anyone else.

ETA: snackchair - very good points

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Nov 12, 13 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

Ok.

Quote:

There comes a point where one needs to stopping banging one's head against the wall; I'm pretty sure we are at that point.

I would suggest that if your communications skills and understanding of physiology were at the level you believe they are, you wouldn't feel to need to insist everyone else is either incorrect or misunderstanding you.

Shane

That's fine. Like I said, if I were saying what you and others have alleged, you guys would just copy and paste what I said.

You provided a specific example of that when you alleged:

Quote:
But you said that intensity eroded endurance and have also stated that one cannot gain fitness while racing?

I asked for you to copy and paste where I said the bolded part. You didn't because I didn't say it.

This has gone on repeatedly throughout this thread and I have repeatedly corrected it.

You say it's my fault people don't understand? Fair play, that very well could be a big part of it.

But it's certainly not my fault when someone like yourself makes something up and alleges I said it when I didn't.

So if I'm insistent on something like that, it's because it's right there in black and white. Like I said, read it.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

^^This. There's no reason to make up new terminology. Training is training. Recovery is recovery, and part of every training block--that's just common sense and not at question. For me, base has lots of tempo and sweet spot. I'm not a believer in spending hours at LSD, which many misconceive as base. But I'm also not going to do vo2 max and sprint work in the winter because 1) I don't enjoy it, and 2) those efforts put a big hurt on my body and ability to do loads of volume at what's a good intensity for me.

I have not idea where this idea that race intensity erodes base, and requires a return to it, came from. If all someone does is race crits and never gets in a long ride, then sure, you're going to lose some of the endurance required to do a four-hour road race. More common sense. But racing a crit in itself is not the cause of a decline in "base" fitness, not training properly is.

Boy, you'd like to think this common sense post would be the end of this thread.....but you know it won't. Wink

Agreed 100%.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:

So which is it? Do I achieve fitness gains during peak/race or do I maintain or prevent regression? It can't be both.

Is that your problem?

You can't differentiate between racing and racing at peak fitness? Are you at peak fitness for every race you do?

I really need to be able to draw a picture for some of you lot.

At peak fitness you are not improving. Game over trispoke. You've failed at your attempts repeatedly. I don't need to keep pointing that out so I'll no longer respond to your vitriol.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
snackchair wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

IMO, many of us owe needmoreair a huge thank you. He has drawn some very good information out of other STers which has helped many of us understand this subject better. THANK YOU!! Now, in all due respect, your comments have deteriorated to a point that very few here will ever take you seriously. You have a very good understanding of the subject but the bolded portions above is what you seem to be missing. Until you incorporate those two thoughts into your analysis, you are, as someone else pointed out, just merely chasing your own tail. IOW, your arguments may be convincing yourself, but not anyone else.

I already addressed those points.

Like I said, I'm not talking about a reduction in training load, I'm talking about an emphasis on different elements. And no one is talking about only doing L1/L2 work.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
You guys can go to reading class during the "recharge" or recovery period from this post.

FTW!

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

Is that your problem?

You can't differentiate between racing and racing at peak fitness? Are you at peak fitness for every race you do?

I really need to be able to draw a picture for some of you lot.

At peak fitness you are not improving. Game over trispoke. You've failed at your attempts repeatedly. I don't need to keep pointing that out so I'll no longer respond to your vitriol.

Clearly you won't because even when I spelled out your mess in very elementary terms, you didn't address any of it....because you can't even defend your own argument. Move goal posts, complain about other people. Rinse. Repeat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next