Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:

So are you saying that if I do a race that the stress of the event does not result in any fitness gains? Further, that it is impossible to arrive at the beginning of race season and through both training and racing finish the season with better fitness than at the beginning?

No, of course not on both questions.

gsmacleod wrote:
So the question I asked was how much, of what type and how often? Since the higher intensity sessions erode endurance, how many of these sessions should be prescribed per week so that the athlete builds fitness instead of regressing? What intensities will be appropriate in order to build fitness?

Shane

Are you wanting a training plan? Surely you're not expecting me to spell out a generic example of progressive workload over the course of a base/build/peak cycle?

As I've said in my last few replies, get an athlete to peak fitness. Are you going to build off that peak fitness? No. Because it's a peak. Now maybe you have an athlete who continues to improve and never really has a discernible peak. That's certainly plausible and most certainly not unheard of. But a concerted training plan with a focus on achieving a peak will have an athlete in a state of peak performance for an event or for a block of races for a short amount of time. And you're not going to build fitness on top of that peak without a large shift in intensity (and adequate recovery, too).
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
SmallAngryMan wrote:
At the risk of getting caught in the middle....

Isn't there a conflation here of intensity and overall training load?

Hypothetically if I go out and do only flat out high intensity three times a week for an excessive duration (or for example race a lot) to the extent that I cannot do any other training due to the necessity of recovery then my overall fitness may well start to drop as my overall training load is lower.

None of those high intensity sessions "eroded" my fitness base of themselves, indeed each of them probably added to it, but the overall impact on my fitness has been a negative one.

A poorly structured training load will be bad for fitness. I don't think anyone would disagree about that.

This seems to be entirely about semantics with no new ground being broken.

There's a lot of semantics.

That's a good point and can certainly be applicable if done the way you describe.

However, maintain the same training load yet shift the intensities to a much higher percentage of superthreshold work and you'll plateau and later regress as well (allowing for a decoupling from stagnation due to adaptation from an unchanging stimulus). There simply has to be a return to sustainable intensities with diminishing focus on superthreshold work relative to total workload at some point in the cycle. It's inevitable.

Above threshold intensities are sustainable, as long as overall volume is correspondingly low. Conversely, low intensities can be unsustainable if volume is too high. Focusing just on intensity makes the discussion completely meaningless.

The mix of intensity and volume absolutely needs to vary through the year to have a proper training plan (from general to specific) based on specific race goals. For individuals with a decent background in endurance training, their "base" is already established, so the general training that can be accomplished during the off-season can and should include above threshold and VO2 max efforts. Taking those efforts out means wasted opportunity to increase fitness.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Above threshold intensities are sustainable, as long as overall volume is correspondingly low. Conversely, low intensities can be unsustainable if volume is too high. Focusing just on intensity makes the discussion completely meaningless.

The mix of intensity and volume absolutely needs to vary through the year to have a proper training plan (from general to specific) based on specific race goals. For individuals with a decent background in endurance training, their "base" is already established, so the general training that can be accomplished during the off-season can and should include above threshold and VO2 max efforts. Taking those efforts out means wasted opportunity to increase fitness.

The basic premise that we're working under is one of improvement, correct? So when you say superthreshold intensities are sustainable so long as overall volume is adequately low enough, then that's sort of beyond the scope of what we're dealing with here.

Yes, I agree. I gave an example of a new rider versus an experienced rider and the amount of intensity they can maintain and the duration of those intense blocks much earlier on in the thread.

However, I've never said any particular thing should be taken out completely. I've said, repeatedly, continually, over and over and over again, that it is the focus and the percentage of that intensity that shifts throughout the cycle. Namely I said that base training is not bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have a basic understanding of prioritization and peaking.

Quote:
Are you adding to your fitness when you're peaked? Why can we not sustain a prolonged peak if it's all a continuum and we're simply adding to base?

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the words to answer this, so bear with me. When you are peaked or peaking (I hate those words in this context), you are doing individual sessions that should trigger a significant amount of adaptations to improve your fitness. So in that sense, yes you are adding to your fitness. However, in order to execute those sessions properly you are also reducing the workload elsewhere in your training program, which lessens the amount of fitness you are adding.

Interestingly, and I can't explain the why/how behind this well, once you've "peaked" at a certain level, it's requires significantly less work to reach that same level of performance again.

Quote:
During peak fitness, are we not providing the body with an adequate stimulus to get stronger or doing enough work to maintain fitness?

If you're tapering properly, no you're not providing your body with an adequate stimulus to maintain fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Base training is bull shit. Everything you do all year round contributes to your base. unless you take an extended break you still have your base.

Not to challenge you directly, but to put this more into a context that might be useful:

The concept of base as a means to strengthen your aerobic foundation isn't b.s. That's always been the way it's been defined. It's the biggest block of the "triangle of fitness" we always see. It's just the way we put that definition into practice that's changed.

Now "base" doesn't mean getting out for 25-30 hours of distance rides every week. It means shoring up that aerobic fitness that was likely eroded through high intensity workouts and racing. The more time you have to train, the more endurance-type (z2) stuff you can get in. Conversely, the less time you have the higher-intensity/more bang-for-the-buck workouts you would do.

It still has to be understood, though, that a disproportionate amount of VO2 max work and all-out efforts is NOT sustainable over a long-term period and unless that aerobic foundation is repeatedly visited and touched up, that pyramid is going to fall over. This is applicable for everyone from the weekend warrior to the TdF vet.

I've read most of the thread, but one question I have is what is aerobic foundation? Can it be measured? If so, how? It seems that if it can be measured then someone should have data that suggests whether or not it can be eroded or not with high intensity training or peaking. I've read Skiba's books and they make sense to me. But, I'm not a coach or exercise physiologist. I'm just trying to understand what y'all are bickering about. Layman's terms if possible.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps the "intensity" hasn't been qualified correctly, though I have continually repeated "above threshold/anaerobic".

Simply because you're training above threshold doesn't mean you're not adding to your aerobic fitness. Training (and fitness) is a continuum. Although I'm certain there are some exceptions, pretty much whatever you do in terms of training will add to your fitness. Somethings promote certain adaptations better than others, but it all adds to it.

Additionally, just being over threshold doesn't make training this horrible evil thing that will destroy your fitness. Training at an intensity above threshold, i.e. Coggan Level 5 is *still* nearly a 100% aerobic workload, it's even possible for a workout focused heavily on Coggan Level 6 to be a strongly aerobic session.

Quote:
Because you're putting out a ton of suprathreshold efforts on a continuous basis that isn't sustainable.

It's sustainable if you manage the workload of your training properly. Is it possible that you'll reach a plateau in your performance or even a decline in performance doing this type of training indefinitely? Certainly, though the reasons for it have nothing to do with an erosion of your aerobic base. It's because you are not providing your body with an adequate stimulus to get stronger, or you are not doing enough work to maintain your fitness.

+1. The "hazard" of training too hard and going over threshold is, as I understand it... 1) It's less nessesary for the type of event we do 2) going above threshold requires greater recovery, which reduces the volume of quality you can perform in a given training block. It's the same reason you need to pace well.

The goal of training is to get in the most qualty and volume possible within the time constraints and within your recovery ability. Going too easy short changes you, going too hard prevents you from doing as much quality.

Going too hard, too often when running, gets you injured.

Going too hard too often early in the season can get you brunt out before you peak later in the year.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

No, of course not on both questions.

But you said that intensity eroded endurance and have also stated that one cannot gain fitness while racing?

Quote:
Are you wanting a training plan? Surely you're not expecting me to spell out a generic example of progressive workload over the course of a base/build/peak cycle?

As I've said in my last few replies, get an athlete to peak fitness. Are you going to build off that peak fitness? No. Because it's a peak. Now maybe you have an athlete who continues to improve and never really has a discernible peak. That's certainly plausible and most certainly not unheard of. But a concerted training plan with a focus on achieving a peak will have an athlete in a state of peak performance for an event or for a block of races for a short amount of time. And you're not going to build fitness on top of that peak without a large shift in intensity (and adequate recovery, too).

No, I'm good thanks. So what causes a peak in fitness? Why does that athlete see (hopefully) continual improvement through the trainin program and then achieve a peak of fitness instead of continuing to improve?

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the words to answer this, so bear with me. When you are peaked or peaking (I hate those words in this context), you are doing individual sessions that should trigger a significant amount of adaptations to improve your fitness. So in that sense, yes you are adding to your fitness. However, in order to execute those sessions properly you are also reducing the workload elsewhere in your training program, which lessens the amount of fitness you are adding.

Interestingly, and I can't explain the why/how behind this well, once you've "peaked" at a certain level, it's requires significantly less work to reach that same level of performance again.

Sorry, I don't know which other words to use. I'm sure a good number of us have peaked (either intentionally or by accident) and can attest to the phenomenon of being in such a state and how fleeting it can be. And that's the point I'm trying to get across. Such a state, while obviously not sustainable for a very long time, is also not a state from which you can simply add to. You break, you rebuild. It is not simply an addition to base that you can in turn simply add to.

Perhaps it's easy to hit that level of fitness later on, perhaps not.

If you look at elite runners, then I'd say peaking each season can take a ton of work and a ton of trial and error and a real focus on the long term. Galen Rupp (and coach Alberto Salazar) executed a brilliant peak at last year's Olympics (10,000m silver) that they haven't been able to so far replicate this year. Assuredly it's not from significantly less work on their part! Can he eventually build on that peak? I certainly hope so and I'm sure both he and his coach would think so, too. But they definitely weren't look to build on that peak last summer. And Salazar is quite adamant about a two peak season in the first place and has said quite a bit about the methodology for doing so.

Quote:

If you're tapering properly, no you're not providing your body with an adequate stimulus to maintain fitness.

So are you suggesting that instead of a peak, we could simply have an indefinite build towards a peak? That all we have to do is forgo a taper?

I don't think so.

A taper is to allow for overcompensation of a significant training load. Obviously without that taper the training load itself wouldn't be sustainable and that peak fitness wouldn't be achievable in the first place. That adds to my point.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Nov 12, 13 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is by trying to refer to this concept:

Quote:
that it is the focus and the percentage of that intensity that shifts throughout the cycle.

with this term:

Quote:
base training

You're bringing along a lot of baggage added to the term over the years that to many audiences implies things it shouldn't. So people see that term, and think it means something because of our good buddy Joel Friel (and a host of others), just like the term Critical Power has come to be used for things that it really shouldn't.

As for the specific term of "base training", I won't go so far as calling it bullshit, but I think the terms Fundamental, Foundation, General Prep, etc all do a much better job of describing what it is you're out to describe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
But you said that intensity eroded endurance and have also stated that one cannot gain fitness while racing?

Please copy and paste where I said that.

Quote:

No, I'm good thanks. So what causes a peak in fitness? Why does that athlete see (hopefully) continual improvement through the trainin program and then achieve a peak of fitness instead of continuing to improve?

Shane

See previous replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
AMT04 wrote:

The basic premise that we're working under is one of improvement, correct? So when you say superthreshold intensities are sustainable so long as overall volume is adequately low enough, then that's sort of beyond the scope of what we're dealing with here.

Yes, I agree. I gave an example of a new rider versus an experienced rider and the amount of intensity they can maintain and the duration of those intense blocks much earlier on in the thread.

However, I've never said any particular thing should be taken out completely. I've said, repeatedly, continually, over and over and over again, that it is the focus and the percentage of that intensity that shifts throughout the cycle. Namely I said that base training is not bullshit.

Base training is not BS. What's BS is the need for an experienced athlete to do it on a recurring basis.

I'm 31. I've been running for 15 years and swimming/cycling for 6, most of which has included structured and/or focused training. I don't need to rebuild my base each year, because it's been established over those years. Instead, my year will generally look like this:

Offseason: I'm going to spend my winter focusing on increasing my critical power and critical run speed, which will entail a significant amount of threshold intervals and VO2max work.
Early season peak: As I approach my early season races (70.3 and/or 140.6), those efforts will become more steady efforts, removing the more intesity for more race specificity.
Mid season: I'll add the intensity back in for a few months to continue to build some general fitness.
Late season peak: Depending on what the late season races are I'll again shift the focus to race specific intensity, likely 70.3/140.6. That means much less intense intervals, and more steady efforts.
Transition to offseason: A few weeks of unstructured training and relaxing

Rinse, repeat. No base training, just basic periodization. There are some nuances and detail missing above but bottom line is that if I took a few months to do the classic base training, I would be missing out on some significant fitness gains.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

What you are talking about here is a reduction in training volume. When you reduce training volume your fitness declines. It really has nothing to do with high intensity intervals directly reducing aerobic fitness. The fact is that unless you are doing sprint workouts which are hitting the neuromuscular side of the equation, everything you do, contributes to aerobic development. In fact there is a recent study that just came across that shows that these shorter interval can help aerobic development as measured in VO2 max.

http://www.tandfonline.com/....853841#.UoI1v_mshQa

The problem I see, and I've painfully waded through this whole post, is that because you are, at least what I would call over-racing, you are seeing a decline in fitness. In the cycling world this tends to be a much larger problem than in running or triathlon. Early season tends to be longer road races and then you get into crit season. Racers get into a cycle of race/recover/race/recover. The problem is that the week's volume goes from 15-20 hours when not racing to 8-10 when racing. This is especially true when there is a lot of travel involved. The problem is a massive reduction in volume and not that the high intensity work is eroding your fitness.

If you look at domestic pro cyclists, you'll notice that while even they suffer a bit from this, it is not as great as amateurs. The big reason why is that they are still putting in long L2 rides during the week since they don't have to sit at a desk all day.

When you say " So you'll, say, do threshold intervals Tuesday, VO2 on Thursday, and race Sat and Sun? Year-round? Because that's never worked for anyone I've ever heard of for more than a couple of months. Why? Because you're putting out a ton of suprathreshold efforts on a continuous basis that isn't sustainable." I'll just say you are doing it wrong. You have to balance the load. This is not sustainable because it is not a balanced plan and does not allow for enough recovery which leads to a reduction in volume, not because the workouts themselves degrade aerobic fitness.

I understand the argument about overall training load. I addressed it in my previous reply. That's not what I'm talking about here.

Great point about the domestic pros that goes hand in hand with what I'm saying:

Modulation of percentages of intensity relative to overall training load. They're maintaining volume so we can disregard the aspect about lowering overall load. But domestic pros get worn down over a season. There are substantial down times and there are base/build periods throughout the season. I trained and raced with and against domestic pros for a few years. You come out of the spring crit block and you recharge. You back off that intensity and return to that subthreshold focus. You don't keep hammering away at crits (well, if you're fortunate enough) the entire season without a good chunk of time away from the intensity of racing and the high-end training necessary to be competitive at that level.

It seems like to me you are trying to move the goal posts. What you are talking about is recovery, which is not base. Generally after a couple of weeks of down time the build towards a second peak begins again. That may include some long L2 rides but I guarantee you that it includes some Tempo and Threshold as well. You are getting into an argument on a triathlon board about how to train when it seems that your knowledge of training and a build peak cycle is rooted in cycling. The typical L2/Tempo/SST/Theshold/VO2/NMI cycle found in bike racing seems to have led you to believe that there is direct causality between incorporating HIIT and the loss of aerobic fitness. The reality is that time constrictions and the ability to recover is causing you to lose your endurance.

Many cyclists believe that as soon as you start doing VO2 intervals you are going to peak. If you look at a successful long course training program you'll see something that looks basically like a complete opposite of above cycle minus the neuro-muscular intervals.

Perhaps Brian could have stated it a bit more eloquently than "Base is BS", but maybe he got on here before his caffeine level was at full. But he is right the tradition of "base miles" is something that has left the building and probably won't be coming back. Base miles which traditionally were done at L1/L2 were a tradition born out the time when cyclist would take 2 months off at the end of the season. "Base" miles were done simply to get back all the fitness they loss. Most of these guys would "race into shape" as well. Now with an almost year round season there really isn't time for base. Provided you don't take much time off of the bike at the end of the season, your previous season has already provided the base you need without having to drop back to a much lower intensity.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
The problem is by trying to refer to this concept:

Quote:
that it is the focus and the percentage of that intensity that shifts throughout the cycle.

with this term:

Quote:
base training

You're bringing along a lot of baggage added to the term over the years that to many audiences implies things it shouldn't. So people see that term, and think it means something because of our good buddy Joel Friel (and a host of others), just like the term Critical Power has come to be used for things that it really shouldn't.

As for the specific term of "base training", I won't go so far as calling it bullshit, but I think the terms Fundamental, Foundation, General Prep, etc all do a much better job of describing what it is you're out to describe.

Sure, call it what you like. The OP called it base training and I've gone from there. The term itself keeps getting convoluted with a cumulative base of aerobic fitness.

But like I said, the notion of the training, whether it be called base or "Bob's happy time" or whatever isn't bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

needmoreair wrote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last.

Quote:
See previous replies.

Uh-huh. You've talked about peaking but what causes the peak? Or, put another way, why couldn't I take an athlete and focus on a program that saw a continual build with no peak?

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I don't know, this thread is great. I probably know less than anyone on here, but it seems to me like the main source of disagreement in this thread is confusing fatigue with loss of fitness. Every single training session you do, if done properly, will surely reduce your performance capability were you to go out and measure yourself immediately after. Because they are all designed to induce fatigue. But in the long term surely all training leads to a fitness improvement, assuming a progressive workload and recovery? So when we quote tinman talking about being undercompetitive in the aftermath of high intensity workloads, well, duh. That's why we have recovery, structure our training into cycles, and taper, isn't it? Which is sort of what needsmoreair appears to be saying. But that isn't an argument that intensity erodes endurance, just that insufficient recovery erodes endurance.

Perhaps what is being described is overtraining.

I hope I haven't just tried to be the rescuer in a Karpman drama triangle (I have been on an active management training course).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
gsmacleod wrote:

Quote:

Shane

See previous replies.

needmoreair wrote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last. There is nothing building on anything, here

This is why no one is taking you seriously and you are chasing your tail. You speak out of both sides of your mouth on a topic that you clearly haven't mastered. And then you complain that people are misquoting you or arguing semantics.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

What you are talking about here is a reduction in training volume. When you reduce training volume your fitness declines. It really has nothing to do with high intensity intervals directly reducing aerobic fitness. The fact is that unless you are doing sprint workouts which are hitting the neuromuscular side of the equation, everything you do, contributes to aerobic development. In fact there is a recent study that just came across that shows that these shorter interval can help aerobic development as measured in VO2 max.

http://www.tandfonline.com/....853841#.UoI1v_mshQa

The problem I see, and I've painfully waded through this whole post, is that because you are, at least what I would call over-racing, you are seeing a decline in fitness. In the cycling world this tends to be a much larger problem than in running or triathlon. Early season tends to be longer road races and then you get into crit season. Racers get into a cycle of race/recover/race/recover. The problem is that the week's volume goes from 15-20 hours when not racing to 8-10 when racing. This is especially true when there is a lot of travel involved. The problem is a massive reduction in volume and not that the high intensity work is eroding your fitness.

If you look at domestic pro cyclists, you'll notice that while even they suffer a bit from this, it is not as great as amateurs. The big reason why is that they are still putting in long L2 rides during the week since they don't have to sit at a desk all day.

When you say " So you'll, say, do threshold intervals Tuesday, VO2 on Thursday, and race Sat and Sun? Year-round? Because that's never worked for anyone I've ever heard of for more than a couple of months. Why? Because you're putting out a ton of suprathreshold efforts on a continuous basis that isn't sustainable." I'll just say you are doing it wrong. You have to balance the load. This is not sustainable because it is not a balanced plan and does not allow for enough recovery which leads to a reduction in volume, not because the workouts themselves degrade aerobic fitness.

I understand the argument about overall training load. I addressed it in my previous reply. That's not what I'm talking about here.

Great point about the domestic pros that goes hand in hand with what I'm saying:

Modulation of percentages of intensity relative to overall training load. They're maintaining volume so we can disregard the aspect about lowering overall load. But domestic pros get worn down over a season. There are substantial down times and there are base/build periods throughout the season. I trained and raced with and against domestic pros for a few years. You come out of the spring crit block and you recharge. You back off that intensity and return to that subthreshold focus. You don't keep hammering away at crits (well, if you're fortunate enough) the entire season without a good chunk of time away from the intensity of racing and the high-end training necessary to be competitive at that level.

It seems like to me you are trying to move the goal posts. What you are talking about is recovery, which is not base. Generally after a couple of weeks of down time the build towards a second peak begins again. That may include some long L2 rides but I guarantee you that it includes some Tempo and Threshold as well. You are getting into an argument on a triathlon board about how to train when it seems that your knowledge of training and a build peak cycle is rooted in cycling. The typical L2/Tempo/SST/Theshold/VO2/NMI cycle found in bike racing seems to have led you to believe that there is direct causality between incorporating HIIT and the loss of aerobic fitness. The reality is that time constrictions and the ability to recover is causing you to lose your endurance.

Many cyclists believe that as soon as you start doing VO2 intervals you are going to peak. If you look at a successful long course training program you'll see something that looks basically like a complete opposite of above cycle minus the neuro-muscular intervals.

Perhaps Brian could have stated it a bit more eloquently than "Base is BS", but maybe he got on here before his caffeine level was at full. But he is right the tradition of "base miles" is something that has left the building and probably won't be coming back. Base miles which traditionally were done at L1/L2 were a tradition born out the time when cyclist would take 2 months off at the end of the season. "Base" miles were done simply to get back all the fitness they loss. Most of these guys would "race into shape" as well. Now with an almost year round season there really isn't time for base. Provided you don't take much time off of the bike at the end of the season, your previous season has already provided the base you need without having to drop back to a much lower intensity.

First you said I was talking about a reduction in training volume, now you say I'm talking about recovery.

I'm not talking about either as I have pointedly repeated a number of times. "Recharging" is getting back to that base and build period.

You can guarantee it includes tempo and threshold? Wonderful. I'd certainly hope so seeing as how I've been saying that from the beginning.

I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum at this point. If you're going to allege that I'm saying or not saying something, at least do me the favor of reading through a few of my earlier posts so I don't have to keep correcting these assertions.

And finally, yet again, I have never, ever advocated the "traditional" long, slow distance idea of base. Ever. Not what's being discussed here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Hmmmm - it's interesting that we typed pretty close to the same thing.

Ha, I about used the Coggan quote, "Cycling is an aerobic sport damnit."

The truth is almost everyone is saying the same thing.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
British Cycling agree with you, and have done rather well challenging those old notions.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:

This is why no one is taking you seriously and you are chasing your tail. You speak out of both sides of your mouth on a topic that you clearly haven't mastered. And then you complain that people are misquoting you or arguing semantics.

And here we were having a decent discussion before you had to come in and throw out your unfounded b.s. without nary a pertinent rebuttal in sight.

Thanks for the party crash, bud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You lost me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
sentania wrote:
Hmmmm - it's interesting that we typed pretty close to the same thing.

Ha, I about used the Coggan quote, "Cycling is an aerobic sport damnit."

The truth is almost everyone is saying the same thing.

It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Some of you are failing to read and understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
You lost me.

That's alright.

Can't keep responding to a new post every 2-3 minutes anyway. Have a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

And here we were having a decent discussion before you had to come in and throw out your unfounded b.s. without nary a pertinent rebuttal in sight.

Thanks for the party crash, bud.

Or I addressed your question per argument with Shane. Guess, once again, you can't support your own argument.

Maybe after you work on your reading and communication skills, you can pick up a physiology book or read research on pubmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

needmoreair wrote:
When you're in a peak/race phase, you are not doing base-training and you are not "contributing to base". You are not improving, you are maintaining and trying to prevent regressing for as long as your priority race sessions last.

Quote:
See previous replies.

Uh-huh. You've talked about peaking but what causes the peak? Or, put another way, why couldn't I take an athlete and focus on a program that saw a continual build with no peak?

Shane

Uh huh what?

You (and DD) are the ones saying everything adds to base.

I give you a specific example of work not adding to base (peak) and you take that example and run off on a tangent about how to make someone peak?

You can take an athlete and do that and have a moderate build progression that never sees them having to significantly overreach/overcompensate. I specifically said that in a previous post.

You cannot, however, take an athlete and plan to peak them, overreach them, decide "hey, I'll just keep building them instead of tapering to allow for fitness gains", and then keep expecting them to improve.

None of the above has anything to do with the point I raised, however: that being that once an athlete has been brought to a peak, that you can simply add to that fitness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next