Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You crack me up. I'm agreeing with you in regard to varying intensity and load. I'm agreeing with you that you don't go full balls year round.

I'll take one more crack at this and then I'm done wrestling with the pig.

Show me a study that shows that aerobic development is eroded by intense intervals. Just putting it out there that you can't find one.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
Now I have been reading a lot on getting a greater ftp and workouts to do during the winter, 16week plans and so on. I have been doing one of the plans similar to BarryPs running, doing 2x20min, 5x5min, all out 20min TT tests...at what point during the winter do you focus on base training?? Do you focus on base at all? is it adviseable? on days you are not doing a hard bike workout is an easy z1 day encouraged?? I am 6 weeks into this plan and doing my FTP test tomorrow. I know my ftp has gone up because my intervals through out the upcoming weeks have gotten easier or i am increasing my watts...just a thought on base training, when do you start???

To the OP:

Periodization is based on periods of time and not types of workouts.

Periodization goes from General to Specific.

The General period has been given different names and different meanings by different people (ie: base, out season, off season, fall, winter, etc) but simply put, this is your General period.

To answer your question, the General period (what you call "base training") starts the day after your last triathlon of the year. Once again, different terms (ie: recovery, preparation, cross training, etc) are used to describe this initial period of time but it's simply your General period.

It may be that you start your General period (ie: "base training) by taking 2 weeks off after your last triathlon and then get right back at it or you may take 2 weeks off and then follow this up with an 8 week block of drinking beer and getting fat. No matter what option you choose, General ("base") starts the day after your last triathlon of the season.

The General period is to prepare you for your Specific period and as desert dude and Francois mentioned, periodization is not slow to fast.

To finish up, some thoughts on "base" as in, "I need to do a bunch of lsd to build my base". LSD workouts aren't stored in a separate container in your body and this container doesn't drain itself empty at the end of every September and then needs to be refilled again starting in October. Instead, imagine that you have a "fitness" container in your body and that all of your workouts regardless of duration and intensity are all stored in this one container. What you want to do is at the appropriate times of the year is fill it with the appropriate amounts and combinations of "fluids". If you do this on a consistent basis, the fitness container won't drain and if you keep slowly and carefully pouring in fluid in the right combinations, the container will magically increase in size so it can hold even more fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trash talk aside I actually find this thread quite interesting and has made be curious to the periodization concept and how to optimize training. After reading and thinking a bit this is what I'm getting to using my own words combined w what I read. Related to him and im training

recovery phase: a 1-3 week phase after A races where training is light and unstructured. The harder the race the less volume and frequency and the phase could maybe be 5 weeks depending on the individual athletes need for recovery

Preparation: for the experienced athlete this is about getting back to normal volume and for inexperienced its becoming used to the volume. Early in the phase it's almost all low intensity and low duration but during the phase duration, frequency and intensity is increased so volume and frequency gets normalized while intensity stays low although is present. Duration of phase depends on how quickly the athlete is ready to assume normal volume (next phase)

General phase: duration depends on when next A race is but is everywhere between 4 and 24 weeks. Volume is "normal" (let's say 15-20 hrs if next A race is ironman). Intensity is present but is not race specific. For example a long run might be 2 hrs at easy pace and intensity added through mile repeats a bit slower than race pace. A long bike might be 4-5 hrs mostly z2 and intensity achieved on what ever hills are encountered. My key point here is that this is not a long and slow phase. There is some intensity but it's not race specific. Its There will be vo2 max work, tempo runs etc

Transition to race specific: 8-10 weeks where volume is slightly lower than in the general phase if needed (to avoid overtraining) but intensity is increased. The intensity is becoming increasingly race like. For example a long run might now be 2-2,5 hrs and extended continuous periods close to race pace.

Race specific: 2-3 weeks where several workouts are race specific. Volume is lower than in previous phase achieved through reductiom in frequency but intensity is higher. Intensity achieved through race like workouts. For example the long run might now have last 30-40 pct at race pace and long ride might be 5 hrs with 2-3 hrs at race pace.

Taper: 2 weeks of 20-50 pct volume but intensity and frequency largely maintained

Is that correctly understood?

Any suggestions for good reading on the topic?

EDIT: regarding intensity in each phase: percent of volume done with intensity will difer by sport: swim swill be mostly intense while running will be mostly easy . However for all 3 sports the intensity will go from general to specifi for example in swim the general phase will probably have lots of speed and threshold work while race like sessions and intensity will come closer to race
Last edited by: andreasjs: Nov 10, 13 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest these two books: http://www.physfarm.com/store/

They're well written, easy to read and easy to understand.

The power book is great even if you don't have a power meter. It also has good swim and run stuff. Between the two, I think it even has the better chapter on periodization so I'd definitely recommend getting both.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the love of God and everyone on this forum, just stop. Seriously, just stop. None of us want to know this thread as the last thread you posted in.

Needsmoreair, all any of want to see is one, just one, peer-reviewed article regarding the degradation of aerobic fitness through high-intensity training.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the links, Francois.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
Thanks for the links, Francois.

indeed. Thanks to Francois for sharing his knowledge.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These aren't particularly new results. I have seen some more recent but I forgot where I have put the links. I'll check from work tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am liking this thread thrash talk drama and some good valualbe stuff.
I would like to add that this time of the year is also good to improve and refine skills.

I think what one of the protagonists in this thread was trying to argue (before he lost his way) is that the people that do well in Kona are usually not at top of their game at the begining of the season and dont win too many races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Yes, I've promoted a level of intensity all along. The point is that that level of intensity and the percentage of intensity relative to training load varies throughout the year. You cannot maintain a high level of intensity/racing year-round.

Again, if everything simply adds to increased aerobic development, why not just to intervals for EVERY RIDE or run?

Some of you keep dodging that question like it's a leper. Answer it, eh?

The italicized part of your post indicates that you have a very limited understanding of physiology and basic training concepts. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. No one is denying that daily v02 intervals would take too large a toll on your body. They would. And to do them year round would come at the cost of missing out on building other systems. No one does the same thing day in/day out - and no one is this thread is arguing for that. So your question is pointless.

There is a benefit to mixing long endurance efforts, steady efforts, threshold efforts, progressive efforts, v02 efforts, etc etc into your training - and doing so year round. Training is about applying different stimuli and stress to your body - moving from general fitness to the specific demands of the race. You need multiple types of stimuli to maximize fitness. For example - a long ride/run is a stimulus of duration, and v02/threshold are stimuli of intensity.

Also the thing about intervals eroding aerobic fitness is patently false. Where did you come up with that? I suppose if you went from running 100 miles a week to running 10 miles a week and doing only sprints and no long runs, then yeah you'd be eroding your aerobic fitness. But it's not the intervals that's doing it, it's the lack of volume.

From the bulk of your posts, it seems like you've read an older Friel book and stopped your education there. You would do yourself a huge service by looking up the Physfarm books, anything you can find about Renato Canova's training methods, and the links/references already cited in this thread.

Quote | Reply
Could you elaborate on what characteristics and examples of workouts the "build phase" and "race specific training" phase could have?

I understand and agree to the concept of going from general to specific and I have a good idea about what general is and is not (it is not long and slow, it is still a mix of training stimulis but it is just not race specific). I also have a good idea about what workouts could look like in the "race specific training" but I am not completely sure - and in between "general/base" phase and "race specific" training phase, let us call it build phase, I am not sure what specifically characterizes this phase and what type of workouts would be done.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using this thread to practice restraint ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
Could you elaborate on what characteristics and examples of workouts the "build phase" and "race specific training" phase could have?

I understand and agree to the concept of going from general to specific and I have a good idea about what general is and is not (it is not long and slow, it is still a mix of training stimulis but it is just not race specific). I also have a good idea about what workouts could look like in the "race specific training" but I am not completely sure - and in between "general/base" phase and "race specific" training phase, let us call it build phase, I am not sure what specifically characterizes this phase and what type of workouts would be done.

Thanks

An example would be a marathon season plan.

Early in the season you would focus on vo2max intervals and speed work via track or hill repeats. Late in the season the focus would shift to 2x20min threshold runs and extending the amount of miles you can run at 90-93% of yourFTP.

Endurance training in a nutshell: moving from general to specific while gradually increasing the training load then reduce volume and maintain intensity to peak.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
François Peronnet has a great book on marathon training, which I think has been translated in English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would argue that for triathlon training you can pick any training regimen that involves zones 2, 3, or 4, and as long as you hit the same average TSS per week it doesn't matter *much* how you break down the zones.

a billion hours in zone 2, or a few hours in zone 4, gonna end up *pretty close* to the same place.

Do what works for you psychologically, schedule wise, and what allows you to get your run training in.

*Tend towards race specific pace more often when getting close to race day.*

If doing longer zone 2 rides in the winter gives you a psychological break that you need, do it. If you are happy doing 2x20@ftp year after year and time crunched, do that. Both are gonna make you faster as long as you apply the basic principle of progressive overload.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

Yes, I've promoted a level of intensity all along. The point is that that level of intensity and the percentage of intensity relative to training load varies throughout the year. You cannot maintain a high level of intensity/racing year-round.

Again, if everything simply adds to increased aerobic development, why not just to intervals for EVERY RIDE or run?

Some of you keep dodging that question like it's a leper. Answer it, eh?

The italicized part of your post indicates that you have a very limited understanding of physiology and basic training concepts. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. No one is denying that daily v02 intervals would take too large a toll on your body. They would. And to do them year round would come at the cost of missing out on building other systems. No one does the same thing day in/day out - and no one is this thread is arguing for that. So your question is pointless.

There is a benefit to mixing long endurance efforts, steady efforts, threshold efforts, progressive efforts, v02 efforts, etc etc into your training - and doing so year round. Training is about applying different stimuli and stress to your body - moving from general fitness to the specific demands of the race. You need multiple types of stimuli to maximize fitness. For example - a long ride/run is a stimulus of duration, and v02/threshold are stimuli of intensity.

Also the thing about intervals eroding aerobic fitness is patently false. Where did you come up with that? I suppose if you went from running 100 miles a week to running 10 miles a week and doing only sprints and no long runs, then yeah you'd be eroding your aerobic fitness. But it's not the intervals that's doing it, it's the lack of volume.

From the bulk of your posts, it seems like you've read an older Friel book and stopped your education there. You would do yourself a huge service by looking up the Physfarm books, anything you can find about Renato Canova's training methods, and the links/references already cited in this thread.

No, the italicized part is a rhetorical question. I guess we need a special font for that now, too?

Exactly, you don't do the same thing day in and day out, nor do you the same thing at various points of the year. That's sort of my point. Actually, that IS my point.

Where did I come up with that? I didn't. You know about Canova so I assume you're also familiar with other Letsrun posters of old like Tinman? The concept comes directly from him.

I have every post Canova has ever made as well as every file at this link. I've read through them all many times. I very much enjoy Canova.

https://2008olympictrialsakatommyleonard.shutterfly.com/filecabinet

I also have a bunch of stuff from Cabral and Kellogg and of course, Tinman.

I find this a bit vexing that some of you think I'm so ignorant about training and physiology despite my experience and the stuff I write in my posts. You'd do better to refute the message instead of simply saying the message is wrong and trying to denigrate my knowledge as a whole.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

Needsmoreair, all any of want to see is one, just one, peer-reviewed article regarding the degradation of aerobic fitness through high-intensity training.

At some point I've got to accept that maybe I'm just not getting the message across well enough for others to understand. My fault. I guess I need to work on my communication skills some.

Anyway, I don't have such an article. Here's some posts from Tinman, however, a coach I trust and one who is fairly well known in run training. Maybe I'll find such an article later, but for now perhaps this example will suffice.

Quote:

Anytime you do training that exceeds about 90% of your max VO2, you risk reducing endurance. To prove the point, think back to when you did a short cool down or no cool down after a 1 mile to 5k race, maybe even a 10k race. If you cut your mileage the next day and tried to run fast for an sustanined period just 2 to 3 days later you probably found you couldn't do it well at all. That's because doing any sustained running in an oxygen debt state will erode aerobic endurance and stamina (the high end of aerobic endurance). Fractional utilization goes down!

For example, if Joe can run 20 minutes at 93% of his VO2 max on Monday and does a full race at that pace, and he does no cool down running, and then takes Tuesday off - and tries to run a 20 minute race again on Wednesday - he won't be able to run at the same 93% during the Wednesday race. He'll run about 91%. Therefore, he'll run cover less distance in the same time. This is what happens when runners taper too much as they prepare for a season-ending major race. They drop mileage, do fast, anaerobic type running and it erodes their aeorbic endurance/stamina and then they can't hold the same perctantage of max VO2. So, if they go out in the race at their normal pace, they will start to really struggle at 1/2 way in the race and then slow. If they go out faster than their normal pace - which often happens because their legs feel stronger when they drop mileage and do speedwork- they hit a wall of oxygen debt and lactic acid fatigue at about 1/3rd of the way into their goal race and tie up badly. Have you ever felt such a thing happen to you?

What counts most is the combination of factors which elevate fitness and performance capacity. One must do consistent aerobic prep in order to run a good half-marathon.

By the way, any running you do that elevates lactic acid to high degree and for a sustained period must be countered with sufficient aerobic endurance training soon thereafter. If you run a hard, short race, you need to do a lengthy cool down and do some solid endurance training over the next 3-4 days - in order to return your body to metabolic equilibrium.

Do I think running a 5k race just 8 days before a half-marathon is a problem? No, not really. Only if you don't run much or at all in the days the follow would it become a problem. Why? It is never a good idea to run into a state of oxygen debt for a sustained time frame and then rest or run very little in the days that follow. Aerobic efficiency will erode - meaning it will cost you more energy to run at your chosen half-marathon pace than normal. If you do sufficient aerobic endurance training right after the 5k race, efficiency will be fine.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Nov 11, 13 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
You acknowledge that "You cannot maintain a high level of intensity/racing year-round". But that does not mean that high intensity erodes your base. That is where you miss the boat. If done correctly they add to your base by increasing mitochondria and improving your ability to utilize glucose to name two things.

What do you mean I acknowledge it?

I stated it outright from the very beginning.

Sustained high intensity. Weeks/months of hard workouts and races. You do not improve. You stagnate. You maintain. However, if you keep pushing, you get worse. You are not adding to your base. You are not improving your fitness.

Instead of pushing through, you break, you rebuild, you enter another cycle.

I don't know what boat you're referring to, but is there any part of the above that you disagree with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Actually what he wrote was that If you can't get out for significant bike volume (12+ hours) I'd focus more on working FTP from the underside with tempo, sweet spot, and threshold work: ~80-100% of FTP, especially in the range of 85-90% as that work is repeatable over multiple days throughout multiple weeks if your volume isn't too high

Suggesting that you just can't tolerate some VO2max work, or anaerobic capacity work without some decent amount of base. So, it's actually even stronger than saying that high intensity erodes your base. You can bury yourself with LT work just as well as with VO2max work if you aren't careful. I'd refer him to Skiba's book and the comments
on polarized training, along with the references on the topic, but he thinks I'm an idiot ;-)

All I've said is that you can't read well and/or are ignorant and then I pointed out the parts of your posts that made me believe that. Then I agreed with your quip about your intelligence.

To continue in that theme and add to my examples of you not reading well, you're now asserting "you just can't tolerate some VO2 max work without some decent amount of base"?

I've never said that. Thanks for continuing the charade, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When everyone seems to misread what you write, I'd consider taking a deep breath, pondering a bit, and starting to wonder 'maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly'...
But I guess you have a way too high opinion of yourself to ever consider that maybe, that would be the case.

And we're all anxiously waiting for one single reference showing that continuing high intensity work will erode aerobic base...

As for intelligence, don't kid yourself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
And we're all anxiously waiting for one single reference showing that continuing high intensity work will erode aerobic base...

You must have missed it above - its all about "lactic acid fatigue." Who needs a reference for something so obvious?

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:

Thanks

Since someone mentioned Canova, I'll throw out a selection of his posts from letsrun on prepping for a specific event (running: marathon) since I like his analogies and explanations. This doesn't include the initial 3-4 week introductory/transition stage that takes place as an athlete is coming back from a break/down time.

Quote:
:

The succession of different periods of training (Fundamental, Special and Specific) involves different training phylosophies. It's like to build a house : the first step is to have the project, and this can be very different depending on the money I can have at my disposal.
(The money is the talent of the athlete). The second step is to buy the material. The third step is to start to build the house using the material I have, following the original project. Buying the material is what we do during the FUNDAMENTAL period : we work for increasing all the qualities we need to use for the performance. We try to work for increasing General Resistance, Rapidity, Coordination, Elasticity, Mobility, Muscle Strength, in separate way, BUT IN THE SAME PERIOD. That's the reason because we NEVER HAVE TO LOSE WHAT ALREADY HAVE.
Building the house using the material is what we do during the SPECIAL AND SPECIFIC PERIODS : we need to assemble all the qualities we have at the moment in order to build the performance. During the Fundamental Period we look at the INTERNAL LOAD (the level of effort used for every type of training), during the Special and Specific Period we look at the EXTERNAL LOAD. External Load means MATHEMATIC. If I want to run 27:30 in 10000m, THIS MEANS 2:45 PER KM AND 66.0 PER LAP. If I'm not able running around these speeds in training, NEVER I CAN RUN THAT TIME.

h) For that reason, training during the Fundamental Period means to build the base for supporting the SPECIFIC TRAINING, that has DIRECT INFLUENCE on the performance.

i) Being the training with the direct influence, THE GOAL IS TO INCREASE DURING YEARS THE VOLUME OF SPECIFIC TRAINING: MORE QUANTITY OF SPECIFIC TRAINING WE ARE ABLE TO DO, FASTER WE CAN RUN.

l) Because the Specific Training has a cost, if we do more specific training, we spend more energies, AND WE NEED MORE RECOVERY. For that reason, we can't follow simmetric schedules, because the athlete is ready for the next session of high specific intensity ONLY WHEN HAS RECOVERED FROM THE PREVIOUS SESSION. In this case, IT'S THE ATHLETE HIMSELF DECIDING WHEN HAS TO DO THE NEXT SESSION. Higher is the intensity, longer is the recovery. MODULATION IS THE SECRET OF A GOOD TRAINING AND THE SYSTEM FOR PEAKING IN THE RIGHT PERIOD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
When everyone seems to misread what you write, I'd consider taking a deep breath, pondering a bit, and starting to wonder 'maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly'...
But I guess you have a way too high opinion of yourself to ever consider that maybe, that would be the case.

As for intelligence, don't kid yourself...

Francois, are you just taking the piss now?

Read up three posts from your reply.

Now that wasn't directed at you in any way, because you've said nothing of note to begin with. But wow, how bad are you at reading?

I keep pointing it out and providing examples and you just keep giving me more. And then you talk about intelligence.

Surely you're taking the piss. Surely.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Nov 11, 13 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, no. Reading your posts once is painful enough already. You seem to be the pissed one here. It seems that no one really understands what you're saying.

On a side note, I'm quite amused that you called me irrelevant a few times, and keep answering my posts. So, I'm kind of having fun, trying to figure out how often you'll
answer to someone irrelevant.

And by the way, brilliant quote from Tinman...that's top notch exercise science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
No, no. Reading your posts once is painful enough already. You seem to be the pissed one here. It seems that no one really understands what you're saying.

On a side note, I'm quite amused that you called me irrelevant a few times, and keep answering my posts. So, I'm kind of having fun, trying to figure out how often you'll
answer to someone irrelevant.

And by the way, brilliant quote from Tinman...that's top notch exercise science.

No, no, taking the piss. Not being pissed. Nice.

Francois, let's just call a spade a spade. You don't read my posts. You skim my posts, decide what you would have me say, and then respond to that.

I keep pointing that out. I keep giving examples of you just making stuff up. Yet you just continue stating that I'm saying things I'm not saying. Thus proving the above.

Irrelevant to the discussion, which you have been. But don't sell yourself short on your entertainment value. You're having fun when I respond to you, and I'm laughing out loud at how often you just make something up and attribute it to me.

Like I said, you keep giving me more and more examples.
Quote Reply

Prev Next