Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to keep up but it's hard to think as slow and as inaccurately as you. Anyhow, post your last answer to me. I'll ignore you. You're just too dumb.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
No. He said base training is bullshit. There is a major difference. Your inability to articulate anything accurately prevents you from understanding the very subtle difference between saying base is BS and base training is BS.

Hey Francois, can you do me a favor?

Instead of continually going through my new posts and making up something you think I said and then saying I said that, can you instead respond to the corrections that I have continually made?

So every time I respond and correct one of your increasingly errant statements, how about responding to that post instead of completely ignoring it because you're focused on another post that you want to misread and respond to.

Think you can do that?

Thanks bud!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I'm trying to keep up but it's hard to think as slow and as inaccurately as you. Anyhow, post your last answer to me. I'll ignore you. You're just too dumb.

And this is the post you make when you concede that you can't refute what I actually write. Especially when I start calling you out on all the things you make up.

Thanks for that concession, veiled as it may be behind your unnecessary insults.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
He goes indepth with explanations regarding physiology and methodology and you say base is bullshit and everything adds to base and then just basically rephrase that in as many ways as possible.

Just because someone uses exercise physiology terms doesn't mean they understand what they are talking about. First clue - discussing lactic acid.

Shane

That post was made years ago, back when lactic acid was what everyone called it.

Despite a shift in the terminology (aided by an understanding that we're not even producing lactic acid), the key points remain.

I wouldn't just up and denigrate the guy because of that. You can still find the term in lots of places used by lots of famous coaches and writers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Francois wrote:
No. He said base training is bullshit. There is a major difference. Your inability to articulate anything accurately prevents you from understanding the very subtle difference between saying base is BS and base training is BS.

That's what we're talking about Francois. Base training.

Try to keep up here.

I went back and re-read the first page of this thread and it abundantly clear what DD, Francois, Prevost and others have said and continue to say. Sorry that you fail to grasp what they are trying to explain to you. OR >> it could be that everyone else is wrong and you are correct. Does that happen in your life often?
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
So let me ask it this way, bc maybe I am reading it wrong, or interpreting it wrong. Are you backing off your statement that high intensity training and racing erodes aerobic base?

I'm not disagreeing with another coach unless they are stating the same exact thing you did. I have stated numerous times I'm disagreeing with the statement you said, and have not retracted to my knowledge that high intensity and racing erodes aerobic base.

I am, as are many of on here, looking for you to give us something other then he said she said in regards to this. To state you've read books or had conversations with people is to deflect the request. We all have had conversations with authors of training books, other coaches, authors of physiology text books, ACSM researchers of the year (heck I trained under one in school). But what does that prove? Nothing, it still amounts to he said she said. So we are asking you, have asked you numerous times from numerous people, to prove that statement.

If you can not find, or choose not to find scientific proof to back your statement then just tell us you can not or more likely that none exist in this case. If you are going to make extraordinary claims such as this, that fly in the face of physiology, you should be prepared to provide evidence when people call bs on your outlandish claim.

To be clear, I said """"that base training is bull shit. Everything you do all year round contributes to your base. unless you take an extended break you still have your base."""""

You stated that high intensity and race efforts erode your base. Which would be in contradiction to what I quoted above. I implied, and for all I know probably stated in a post, that doing intervals today increases your base tomorrow, that riding sst intervals tomorrow increase your base next week. That doing a 75 min aerobic ride today is adding to tomorrow's base. Everything that you do training contributes to base. That is why base training, solely doing L2 efforts to rebuild as you stated somewhere in your first couple of posts, is BS. That has been my point from the beginning.

As for attacking, I took this as a personal attack, something I think I've refrained from doing to you.
Quote:
Desert Dude.....think he's "the coach"
The use of italics indicated, to me, that you were making a snide comment about me. I think I've refrained from taking cheap shots at you.

The use of italics? Quotations you mean? Dude, I was quoting you. You're the one who referred to yourself as "the coach" (quotations used to denote it as a phrase you used and I'm repeating). It's not a personal attack. It's pointing out what you apparently wanted to point out with your use of the phrase.

And you've been snide, pedantic, and downright insulting from your very first post.

desert dude wrote:
That is why base training, solely doing L2 efforts to rebuild as you stated somewhere in your first couple of posts, is BS. That has been my point from the beginning.

You can't read. You and Francois CANNOT READ. I never said that. EVER.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Francois wrote:

That's what we're talking about Francois. Base training.

Try to keep up here.

I went back and re-read the first page of this thread and it abundantly clear what DD, Francois, Prevost and others have said and continue to say. Sorry that you fail to grasp what they are trying to explain to you. OR >> it could be that everyone else is wrong and you are correct. Does that happen in your life often?

So it's clear that DD said base training is bs and I said it's not?

Super.

Are you up to date on what's being discussed now or do you need a picture drawn?
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri, still waiting to hear if you're sure about me being 10% wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
That post was made years ago, back when lactic acid was what everyone called it.

Despite a shift in the terminology (aided by an understanding that we're not even producing lactic acid), the key points remain.

I wouldn't just up and denigrate the guy because of that. You can still find the term in lots of places used by lots of famous coaches and writers.

Fair enough - not all coaches, not even all successful coaches understand physiology and continue to use incorrect terminology.

However, it may be worth considering that if some aspects of the post are outdated, that perhaps hitching your wagon to the idea that high intensity work degrades aerobic capacity may not be the best idea.

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
He goes indepth with explanations regarding physiology and methodology and you say base is bullshit and everything adds to base and then just basically rephrase that in as many ways as possible.

Just because someone uses exercise physiology terms doesn't mean they understand what they are talking about. First clue - discussing lactic acid.

Shane

Yeah sorry, that's when lactic acid was called lactic acid. You know, back in the day. Now, it's called bob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

Fair enough - not all coaches, not even all successful coaches understand physiology and continue to use incorrect terminology.

However, it may be worth considering that if some aspects of the post are outdated, that perhaps hitching your wagon to the idea that high intensity work degrades aerobic capacity may not be the best idea.

Shane

So if any coach used the term lactic acid back in the early 2000s, then they don't understand physiology?

I copied and posted a post from years and years ago and you're hung up on the phrase "lactic acid" and ready to dismiss everything else outright because of that.

Glad to see you're not trying to be disingenuous or anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

Shane

Yeah sorry, that's when lactic acid was called lactic acid. You know, back in the day. Now, it's called bob.

Francois, you're back! I thought you left.

Francois, are you saying that the notion of lactic acid was not prevalent in endurance sport back in the 2000s and widely touted as an effect of prolonged exercise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Jason's answer to you. From the guy who's been accusing others to make him say things he never said...sigh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"high intensity training and racing erodes aerobic base" Your continued failure to provide valid support for that statement and your continued personal attacks on those that are attempting to broaden your understanding have brought your credibility down to zero.

Thanks to all others for the excellent education and entertainment.

Nothing more to see here.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Nov 11, 13 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I love Jason's answer to you. From the guy who's been accusing others to make him say things he never said...sigh...

Quote:

Francois, maybe you're right. From the above, I took that to mean he was insinuating that Tinman, even though he's a successful coach, may not understand physiology and continues to use incorrect terminology.

Shane, were you insinuating that or am I mistaken?

If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Francois, I hope my responding to this post and asking for confirmation of what I believe is being stated is a good example for you to follow when you brazenly make things up and I correct you.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
"high intensity training and racing erodes aerobic base" Your continued failure to provide valid support for that statement and your continued personal attacks on those that are attempting to broaden your understanding have brought your credibility down to zero.

x2

Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:

Personal attacks? Again, please copy and paste. I don't call people names. All I say is that people can't read and are making things up. Then I provide examples of that. Those aren't personal attacks. Those are simply facts.

I provided the posts of a renowned running coach to validate that statement.

To be clear, the only issue all of you seem to have is that statement. The statement that not a single one of you have provided valid support to dismiss, despite my continued goading of examples to the contrary about not sustaining high-end intense work for long periods of time and having to return to a predominant aerobic base.

I've seen nothing to refute anything I've said except for people like you coming on here and saying "nuh uh" and then making silly insinuations and deflections. Or just flat out making something up like Francois and DD have done.

As for broadening my understanding? Well, I've made dozens of posts outlining methodology that DD and others agreed with completely (minus the aerobic base statement). Like I said, it's that one phrase that have thrown you all for a loop.

But thanks for your input. Well, no, not really.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Nov 11, 13 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
bhc wrote:

x2

It's so funny to see all of you guys with signatures promoting coaching services. Yet your entire involvement in this thread is simply a quip here or there that doesn't address anything pertinent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:

So if any coach used the term lactic acid back in the early 2000s, then they don't understand physiology?

I copied and posted a post from years and years ago and you're hung up on the phrase "lactic acid" and ready to dismiss everything else outright because of that.

No, I meant fair enough. I had no idea how old the post was and that if was indeed that old, then I can't fault him for using terminology that is still used today.

The part about successful coaches not understanding the physiology is that I have discussions on a fairly regular basis with coaches who will still discuss lactic acid so I was saying your point about the use of the term was valid.

I didn't say I was willing to dismiss everything else because of the use of term but rather because everything I've read and my experience tell me that high intensity work does not erode aerobic capacity.

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:
bhc wrote:

x2

It's so funny to see all of you guys with signatures promoting coaching services. Yet your entire involvement in this thread is simply a quip here or there that doesn't address anything pertinent.

It's even funnier to watch your one man crusade to promote....who knows what in this thread and attempt to discredit several notable coaches in their efforts to provide truth, facts, science.

I actually think you might suffer from a major narcissistic complex. All of us see the problem in the thread except you. Do yourself a favor and just walk away from this thread with what little credibility you might have left on ST. And I don't mean that in an insulting way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsmacleod wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

No, I meant fair enough. I had no idea how old the post was and that if was indeed that old, then I can't fault him for using terminology that is still used today.

The part about successful coaches not understanding the physiology is that I have discussions on a fairly regular basis with coaches who will still discuss lactic acid so I was saying your point about the use of the term was valid.

I didn't say I was willing to dismiss everything else because of the use of term but rather because everything I've read and my experience tell me that high intensity work does not erode aerobic capacity.

Shane

Well, an interesting explanation, Shane.

Quote:

I took this to mean that your dismissal of the "aerobic base" notion was directly related to your dismissal of that phrase.

Nevertheless, if you say it's not, then fair play. I misread that and apologize.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
It's even funnier to watch your one man crusade to promote....who knows what in this thread and attempt to discredit several notable coaches in their efforts to provide truth, facts, science.

I actually think you might suffer from a major narcissistic complex. All of us see the problem in the thread except you. Do yourself a favor and just walk away from this thread with what little credibility you might have left on ST. And I don't mean that in an insulting way.

I know, right?

It's kind of comical on my end, too. Granted, most of these notable coaches you're going on about were simply misreading/not reading and making things up and attributing that to me, but understood on the rest.

To be clear, per my initial response to DD, all I've been trying to promote is that DD's concept that "base training is bullshit" is ridiculous.

Then some people went nuts on an explanation of why endurance athletes must turn a focus towards sub-threshold/endurance work after heavy racing/training blocks of high intensity.

This is ST. Credibility is an illusion. Like I said, a good chunk of my responses on this thread have been to posts that have nothing to do with the thread itself, or correcting posts that attribute things to me that I never said.

This being ST and all, though, apparently means making accurate statements isn't at the forefront of discussion. All that matters is choosing a side and "winning". My demanding accountability for inaccurate statements costs me "credibility". And it'd appear calling out a coach when he says something ridiculous is grounds for tar and feathering.

Funny place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smh

You really don't get it. And stop playing the victim card. It makes you come off as an even bigger loser. Let. It. Go.
Quote Reply
Re: enought ftp talk...lets talk base [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Smh

You really don't get it. And stop playing the victim card. It makes you come off as an even bigger loser. Let. It. Go.

Again, that accuracy thing. How is asking for an accurate reflection of what's been written a victim card? I'd love an explanation.

Or you can just keep saying silly things like the above if it makes you feel better.

It's like bizarro world in here.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Nov 11, 13 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've been trying to promote is that DD's concept that "base training is bullshit" is ridiculous.

I explained that all training lends to you base. Interval, easy, hard. All of it. You are promoting that as ridiculous?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next