Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great swims Bo! I know you are a distance guy but that 800 time blows my mind. I did a 57.5 100 free at nationals last year to be close to your 100 but 8:51 for the 800 seems light years ahead of what I could do! Can you drop another 5s to get the M40-44 National record?
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we will see on May 19

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
we will see on May 19

I am thinking about going. I would like to do the 100 IM, 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 fly, 800m free and 1500m free. Other than the free, I am going to be last place in everything and by doing 2 long free events, I am certain to at least finish those and not have my bad leg do stupid things that gets my DQ'd. I'll also be doing 4 relays if I go (probably mainly fly legs in the older age group teams).

Sorry I have not yet posted a full report from the Ontario Masters. It was my first swim meet ever, but it was also the first time in 6 months that I took more than half day off of work (I generally work 7 days per week on my startup, but it does not feel like work.....so I had a work backlog).

I totally enjoyed the process and I am hooked. My results were either stupid DQ's in half my events of last place in the other half of my events:

50 fly = 43 DQ, because my first dolphin kick legs were not aligned after my wall push off start
100 fly = 1:39 DQ because of a leg spasm at my first wall touch resulting in assymmetrical body and left hand touching wall before right (in training, I will slow down left hand when this happens again)
200 IM = 3:50 DQ because on my first back stroke turn I flipped early and did no realize I can do a free stroke before my open turn....coasted to the wall and DQ

400 IM = 7:58....what a disaster, my goggles got logged with water during 100 fly, when I flipped to back got the water in my eyes and reacted and gulped a ton of water and choked till the next wall....came to a standstill coughed it out and resumed....no DQ.....6th in my age group in Ontario.....I am taking my last place

100 IM = 1:46....no mishaps, bad leg was not behaving and had zero power for breast....9th, and last place

200 fly = 3:42...no mishaps, perfect symmetry which was all I was focused on. I knew if I just finished, I'd get 5th and get points for my club and I did.

As I mentioned in general for the 200 events I was 10-15 seconds slower than training, in the 400 IM was 22 seconds slower. Going from starting at zero to full throttle really affects me after 75 meters and I had difficult with the lactate build up (I always had this problem in triathlon mass starts too).

I did two 50m fly legs in the relays at 43 seconds and two 50m free legs (same time or a second faster).

So anyway, for a guy who swept last place in his age group, or otherwise got DQ'd from half of his other events, I probably should win the hypermotivation award.

I am seriously interested in going to Nationals. The co founder of my startup (http://www.bluwave-ai.com) is based in Calgary and I have a free place to stay and I can cash in some points for the trip.

Day three would be 400 IM first event, then 200 fly second last event....pause and then 1500m free as last event. I know I can get through a 1500m free no matter how tired I am. I have to find out if I can get into the 1500m free with no seed time. There seems to be something about seed times on the website. While the above may seem silly to real swimmers, I think when you are slow, you need to find self generated challenges, because you get no intrinsic reward from finishing in last place!

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 27, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
realAB wrote:
we will see on May 19

I am thinking about going. I would like to do the 100 IM, 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 fly, 800m free and 1500m free. Other than the free, I am going to be last place in everything and by doing 2 long free events, I am certain to at least finish those and not have my bad leg do stupid things that gets my DQ'd. I'll also be doing 4 relays if I go (probably mainly fly legs in the older age group teams).

Sorry I have not yet posted a full report from the Ontario Masters. It was my first swim meet ever, but it was also the first time in 6 months that I took more than half day off of work (I generally work 7 days per week on my startup, but it does not feel like work.....so I had a work backlog).

I totally enjoyed the process and I am hooked. My results were either stupid DQ's in half my events of last place in the other half of my events:

50 fly = 43 DQ, because my first dolphin kick legs were not aligned after my wall push off start
100 fly = 1:39 DQ because of a leg spasm at my first wall touch resulting in assymmetrical body and left hand touching wall before right (in training, I will slow down left hand when this happens again)
200 IM = 3:50 DQ because on my second back stroke turn I flipped early and did no realize I can do a free stroke before my open turn....coasted to the wall and DQ

400 IM = 7:58....what a disaster, my goggles got logged with water during 100 fly, when I flipped to back got the water in my eyes and reacted and gulped a ton of water and choked till the next wall....came to a standstill coughed it out and resumed....no DQ.....6th in my age group in Ontario.....I am taking my last place

100 IM = 1:46....no mishaps, bad leg was not behaving and had zero power for breast....9th, and last place

200 fly = 3:42...no mishaps, perfect symmetry which was all I was focused on. I knew if I just finished, I'd get 5th and get points for my club and I did.

As I mentioned in general for the 200 events I was 10-15 seconds slower than training, in the 400 IM was 22 seconds slower. Going from starting at zero to full throttle really affects me after 75 meters and I had difficult with the lactate build up (I always had this problem in triathlon mass starts too).

I did two 50m fly legs in the relays at 43 seconds and two 50m free legs (same time or a second faster).

So anyway, for a guy who swept last place in his age group, or otherwise got DQ'd from half of his other events, I probably should win the hypermotivation award.

I am seriously interested in going to Nationals. The co founder of my startup (http://www.bluwave-ai.com) is based in Calgary and I have a free place to stay and I can cash in some points for the trip.

Day three would be 400 IM first event, then 200 fly second last event....pause and then 1500m free as last event. I know I can get through a 1500m free no matter how tired I am. I have to find out if I can get into the 1500m free with no seed time. There seems to be something about seed times on the website. While the above may seem silly to real swimmers, I think when you are slow, you need to find self generated challenges, because you get no intrinsic reward from finishing in last place!

Dev

Check out the rules around the 800 and 1500, I don't think there are qualification standards but I believe you have to have a validated swim (at least that's how it was last year). That's to ensure you are in the correct heat and aren't being wildly optimistic (which happens and can really slow down the meet).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
realAB wrote:
we will see on May 19

200 IM = 3:50 DQ because on my second back stroke turn I flipped early and did no realize I can do a free stroke before my open turn....coasted to the wall and DQ

Dev

Check out the rules around the 800 and 1500, I don't think there are qualification standards but I believe you have to have a validated swim (at least that's how it was last year). That's to ensure you are in the correct heat and aren't being wildly optimistic (which happens and can really slow down the meet).

This is what I thought I read. What is a validated swim? Get in the pool and have the coach from the club time my 800m and 1500m split and submit those times?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "believe" that its a time from a meet, but don't quote me on that. It should be in the race package.

Oh, and good job on the meet! As you've found out, it's a lot of fun, and nerve wracking. Best feeling in the world is the butterflies about 30 seconds before you get up on the blocks.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I "believe" that its a time from a meet, but don't quote me on that. It should be in the race package.

Oh, and good job on the meet! As you've found out, it's a lot of fun, and nerve wracking. Best feeling in the world is the butterflies about 30 seconds before you get up on the blocks.

I do like the pressure of having to be "tested"/"perform". Even when I was a student, I would get off on exam time and trying to cram in entire semesters and step up and see what I could score. I like getting in a morning workout and leaving my final presentation prep to the last minute and cleaning it up over breakfast and have the pressure to whip it off in from of 1000 people right afterwards (generally I'll be visualizing it in my head during my workout). So yes, that feeling of being on the start line, I am into which is probably why when I raced triathlon it was often, because it was a fun process. The cool thing about a swim meet is you get to do it many times at once. Very much like a track meet which is what I grew up with.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did one day at our State's SCY Masters Championships.

30.17 50 Free - Dropped over a second from 2 weeks ago due to keeping my head down and a half assed flip turn.

13.74 25 Free - At 51 I do not have much of a dynamic dive. What a blast - no time to feel any fatigue.

1:20.94 100 BR - 4 plus second drop from 2 weeks ago. Went out under :37 and did okay until the 75 turn. Wow, I did not want to stay underwater on that pullout. Back in :44. Room to improve timing, turns and endurance.

1:09.22 100 Free - A second plus slower than 2 weeks prior. Fatigued.

Looking forward to racing again.

DK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked the registration page, where you actually go to sign up, and according to that you cannot enter without an official meet time from the last 2 years. If I was going, which I'm not this year, maybe next year since it'll be closer to home, then I couldn't enter the 800 since I haven't swum that event in the last couple of seasons. I could enter the 1500, since I did that in the fall.

That rule only applies to the 800 and 1500

just posted a screen grab. it autopopulates all times from the last 2 years, if you haven't swum it in 2 years or more then it gives you NT (which can be overridden). Can't override anything that you do have a result for. The ones with the dropdown are results that have several results in the last 2 years, you get to pick which time you want.

devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I do like the pressure of having to be "tested"/"perform". Even when I was a student, I would get off on exam time and trying to cram in entire semesters and step up and see what I could score. I like getting in a morning workout and leaving my final presentation prep to the last minute and cleaning it up over breakfast and have the pressure to whip it off in from of 1000 people right afterwards (generally I'll be visualizing it in my head during my workout). So yes, that feeling of being on the start line, I am into which is probably why when I raced triathlon it was often, because it was a fun process. The cool thing about a swim meet is you get to do it many times at once. Very much like a track meet which is what I grew up with.

Dev

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 27, 18 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just checked the registration page, where you actually go to sign up, and according to that you cannot enter without an official meet time from the last 2 years. If I was going, which I'm not this year, maybe next year since it'll be closer to home, then I couldn't enter the 800 since I haven't swum that event in the last couple of seasons. I could enter the 1500, since I did that in the fall.

That rule only applies to the 800 and 1500

just posted a screen grab. it autopopulates all times from the last 2 years, if you haven't swum it in 2 years or more then it gives you NT (which can be overridden). Can't override anything that you do have a result for. The ones with the dropdown are results that have several results in the last 2 years, you get to pick which time you want.

devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Dev

I see the following text in the meet package, so based on the last para, seems like it is hard to get into the 800m or 1500m. I assume "official proof of time" is from a Swim Canada sanctioned meet vs a timed result at a Swim Canada sanctioned club session?:

Meet Entry Standards There are no qualifying standards to enter the meet. Eligibility Open to any Canadian or International registered Masters swimmer 18 years old as of May 19th, 2018. Age as of December 31, 2018 determines age groups. Canadian (and U.S.) swimmers must indicate their provincial registration number (or USMS #) and club affiliation with their entries. All Canadian swimmers must have an active Swimming Canada registration and ID #. Other International swimmers must provide proof of affiliation with their National FINA affiliated master organization when they enter.

Seeding All events will be run slowest to fastest. The 800m and 1500m events may be seeded to be swum two (2) per lane at the discretion of the Meet Manager.

800m/1500m freestyle An official proof of time at registration is requested for 800 and 1500m events. Official time must be less than 24 months old from May 19th 2018. Please note that when swimming two per lane, front crawl is the only stroke permitted. Some lap counters will be provided. Swimmers are to provide their own volunteer to operate. 800m free swimmers MUST check-in with the Clerk of Course on the pool deck prior to 10:00am Saturday, May 19th . 1500m free swimmers MUST check-in with the Clerk of Course prior to 10:00am Monday on May 21st
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a one-day meet last Saturday. I've got a long ways to go by May...

50 fly: 24.92
50br: 29.58
100im: 59.33
200im: 2:11.75
Quote Reply
Re: ST Winter Virtual Swim Meet [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

Nice times! When you say you have a long way to go, what would your targets be? The breast stroke 50m world record is Adam Peaty's 25.95 and fly is 22.43 by Rafael Munoz....you're almost there!!!! (OK I realize that 2.5 to 4 seconds is a world away, but your times are awesome man)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, I believe he went SCY at his meet. Still pretty dam fast though for an aging triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hey Dev, I believe he went SCY at his meet. Still pretty dam fast though for an aging triathlete.
I don't care what format he swam....it's darn fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 800/1500 entry would not pick up my long course time from the 800... no problem for me since my recent time will get uploaded.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the other issue is political... mso is no longer a member of Swim Canada.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
the other issue is political... mso is no longer a member of Swim Canada.

This is like Ironman and ITU or something....sheesh wherever you have people and power, no one can get along.

I think my event line up will need to be 50 fly, 100 fly, 200 fly, 100 IM, 200 IM, 400 IM, 400 Free, and as many relays at Technosport wants me to swim in (likely in the 200 year old combined age group). It would really be fun for me to try the 400 IM, 200 fly and 1500m on the final day, but unless I can find a 1500m race (which I can't find in Ontario.....maybe in Quebec???), then I think out. How popular is the 1500m anyway...at Ontario Masters it was sparse and it seem at Nationals they are running 2 per lane, so 20 at a time....I would think the entire 1500m event would be done in <2 hrs at the end of the day on Sunday (a few waves sub 19 min, then you probably have a few sub 22, and then two sub 30)...that's right on 2 hours with changes and 120 people ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
109 swims for the 1500 at last year's Nationals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "2 per lane" is standard language to give the organizers the option of running heats 2 per lane if necessary. It's not a given that they will run 2 per lane, it's preferable not to.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.mastersswimmingcanada.ca/...mming/meet-schedule/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SH wrote:

Nice times! When you say you have a long way to go, what would your targets be? The breast stroke 50m world record is Adam Peaty's 25.95 and fly is 22.43 by Rafael Munoz....you're almost there!!!! (OK I realize that 2.5 to 4 seconds is a world away, but your times are awesome man)!!!

Lol! What Monty said.

Also, no human being could watch me race Peaty or Munoz and afterwards exclaim "you're almost there!!!". Truly, you'd be shocked at how bad it would look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SH wrote:

Lol! What Monty said.

Also, no human being could watch me race Peaty or Munoz and afterwards exclaim "you're almost there!!!". Truly, you'd be shocked at how bad it would look.

Ok, so you're no Peaty (or Dressel for Monty - his ultimate fanboi ;-) But those are some solid times, mate! Especially for a guy SOOO much older than me!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 28, 18 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SH wrote:

Lol! What Monty said.

Dammit we're taking ST glory and putting you in the Peaty Munoz group cause that's the best we have!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Dev,

Dropped the ball this month on the ST virtual meet. Maybe friday am I could sneak in a time. Still laboring from the 100 in 100 feat you had me do.. ha. That 100 in 100 was harder than I thought it would be! Plus traveling to ncaas last week, i only got to flop around (although in that awesome minnesota pool) for a couple thou each time) Im not feeling too spritely...
Ill try to post something from the workout friday am.
daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
https://www.mastersswimmingcanada.ca/WP/en/competitive-swimming/meet-schedule/

Let me understand this.....Masters Swim Ontario (MSO) is not part of Swim Ontario/Swim Canada? So we have two provincial championship events? Kind of like Ironman Worlds IN Kona and ITU Long course worlds?
Quote Reply

Prev Next