Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance never doped.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaelinfunk wrote:
Is triathlon gonna be mentioned even once? I mean it was the first and last sport he has done

I'd bet money he will.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero tolerance

Will it stop doping? I dont think there is any penalty that will stop cheating. But if you say 1 strike and you are out, it can scare enough people, that eventually/hopefully that scares them into racing clean.

But again, we'll never have "clean" sports. We just need to have confidence in the actual standards/protocols of the sport that when we see the winner, we have some certainty in that result.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [SMp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll never shop at MJ again.

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [chrisshannon369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I still support Lance.

Did you miss the opening round of "Yes/No" questions?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [SMp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMp wrote:
I give Mellow Johnnie's five years max

they have pretty good smoothies but just one won't show any real improvement.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oprah is throwing him softballs and letting him control the interview, which is exactly what he wants. This is pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is fair to say that many of us would have used EPO in Lance's situation

It is not fair to suggest that most of us would have sued people for telling the truth, or called our friends crazy btiches in the press, bribed the UCI, hired lobbyists to try and shut down usada, pressured trek to shut down lemond's business, and so on and so forth.

that takes a special kind of dedication, I think most of us would be too LAZY

FisH2O wrote:
I'd have to agree, a whole lot of incredibly unrealistic expectations on here. A lot of holier than thou, but if posters on this board had a similar, easy way to succeed in their chosen profession, I'd say there would be a high level of acceptance. (especially if the rest of the people in your company were getting promoted over you)

I think the correct analogy for Oprah would be - "If you were an up and coming anchor/talk show host, and there was something you could do that would immediately send your ratings sky high with a tiny chance of getting caught, would you do it?"

I would say 95% would.

I never thought Lance wasn't doping, and I'm still waiting for the entire rest of the peleton to own up. A drop in the ocean, we've got juniors getting nailed, masters getting nailed. System is broken, and the rewards are too high.

Until there are actual penalties, and actual ways to catch athletes, this will go on and on.

Does it suck for those few that play fair? Absolutely. Any real solution? Still waiting...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [FastGMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is oddly enough just the right amount of commercials mixed in for me to keep refilling my popcorn bucket!!!

*cue the video of popcorn eating... anyone... anyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will never have clean sports when athletes can make more $$ than Nurses, Doctors, Scientists, Engineers, etc........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I thought she would put the screws to him harder. I was expecting her to ask him "what's next" once he came clean as a drug users....questions about what he plans to do in the sport to help clean it up etc. Maybe that is more of a Dan Empfield question than an Oprah one though.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jan 17, 13 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AustinDuDude wrote:
I'll never shop at MJ again.

It took Oprah to get you to this point. You are shocked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastGMan wrote:
Oprah is throwing him softballs and letting him control the interview, which is exactly what he wants. This is pathetic.
this is an interview, not an interrogation. A good interviewer should be impartial, not indignant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, does that mean you're not shopping in Colorado again? ;-)

Edit: My bad, I thought you said you're never shopping "for" MJ.
Last edited by: ironpsych: Jan 17, 13 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And too many commercial breaks. At least online it is elevator music. Damn a second night of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said at the beginning that he wanted to control the things in his environment.......

KJR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastGMan wrote:

What the heck did you want. Someone to beat him up. He admitted to doping, bullying people, being a prick.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [kidrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kidrock wrote:
Lance never doped.

Thank you!!!! I needed a good belly laugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastGMan wrote:

Agreed. I find this entertaining as well, but she's not pushing him on a thing. He should be on his heels but he's not. He's way too comfortable. The point of the interview was to confess (to a certain, limited, extent) so the fact that he's confessing isn't a surprise or a success for her. Come on, Oprah, you know what we need.... "You want the truth??? You can't handle the truth!!..."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a professor who proposed that the ONLY way to rid sports of drug use is to immediately ban anyone and everyone associated with the doper- coach, team mates, sponsors, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gandalf wrote:
FastGMan wrote:

this is an interview, not an interrogation. A good interviewer should be impartial, not indignant.

I fully appreciate the difference, trust me. But an interviewer also has to control the interview and ask the questions that the public wants answers to. She's letting him dodge questions and letting him control the interview. That's my criticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calculated. It's like a dance, almost. She came out strong at the start, imo, to hook the audience with those "yes or no" questions. Now it's a matter of how much to share and what details. There isn't enough time in this interview to go into specifics. I would like to have an iPhone recording in the car ride on the way home from this hotel after the interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:

In the audio book version of "The Secret Race" is it whispered or in a normal voice?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next