Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
I didn't like the way the stock rear brake cable stop on my Transition "hung out in the breeze" off of the BB, so I designed and 3D printed this part instead. Not sure if this counts as a "hack job" though...

Nice part!

Is that really 3D printed, it is so smooth, it looks like it was injection molded ....

Also, how did it attach to the bottom of the downtube, did you drill your frame for screws ?

The printer is a good one ;-) You can still see a bit of the "layering", but getting a "glossy" finish with this particular printer works if you can have it built with the side you'd like a glossy finish pointing "up" on the build tray.

The part attached to the same 3 threaded inserts that the original cable stop bracket used. The 3rd hole is near the back edge of the part and is accessed from below on the bike. I'll see if I can find a pic of the original setup on the webs...

Here you go:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
I didn't like the way the stock rear brake cable stop on my Transition "hung out in the breeze" off of the BB, so I designed and 3D printed this part instead. Not sure if this counts as a "hack job" though...

Nice part!

Is that really 3D printed, it is so smooth, it looks like it was injection molded ....

Also, how did it attach to the bottom of the downtube, did you drill your frame for screws ?

Another way to get a finish like that (and even smoother) is with an acetone misting chamber.
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing on a bicycle... but if you ever want to see some interesting ergometers stop by my lab.
Cheers,
Jim

Slowman wrote:
...on your bike. what have you got that's really cool to show us?

some years back, maybe 2005 or 2006, at the kona bike count, there was the softshot. or the slingride. the softride beam mounted in a slingshot bike.

but i'm talking more "today" and more useful. like the guys over at cxmagazine who built a clutch RD out of an electronic RD, or hacked electronic shimano road shifting onto a shimano electronic 1x clutch RD.

whaddya got for us?
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Woah! This brings back memories. I had one of those in Little League Baseball!
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i love ergometers. that's enough to get me to come by. that, plus i enjoy the wasatch.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, just let me know when you're coming.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely not as slick as WD Pro's behind the saddle holder but mine puts the bottles right where I want them, close to the seat. The XLab holder had them way too far back. (Let's see if I got the images right)

https://goo.gl/...os/QcDZmqTUypx5jNYu7

https://goo.gl/...os/v2FH9XskUte8iMfw9
Last edited by: Anachronism: Jan 28, 17 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ingenious would be a stretch, but...3D printed end plugs for my road bar (sized to account for the thickness of the bar tape). They also work as an aerobar extension cap for 1X builds.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like it!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That looks like a Garmin 500. How can you reach the buttons while it is mounted?

I too use a Garmin 500. I tried mounting it on the aerobars but I did not like it there. I also mounted it on the base bars, same. I did not like it.

Finally, I mounted it to the Felt aero pac cover:

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The buttons are still accessible at the side.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Ingenious would be a stretch, but...3D printed end plugs for my road bar (sized to account for the thickness of the bar tape). They also work as an aerobar extension cap for 1X builds.

Colby Pearce used to have something like that. I'd always envied them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a bridge between my aerobars from a piece of electrical conduit, to mount my computer between my wrists, where I could see it.

I've also made a behind the seat bottle holder. It also holds 2 drink bottle, my CO2 inflator (held in a cut down pump clip) as well as my spares bag in a quick release clip. It's made of stainless steel sheet, bent to suitable shape with holes drilled for securing everything. It's not carbon light, but it's never rusted, never cracked and never launched a bottle or dropped anything else. I must have 100,000km on the cage holder by now. It's been on 3 tri bikes and several road bikes.

I had hoped to use my household oven for parts to make a home made autoclave for making my own carbon disc wheels or bike frame, but TriSpouse said she was using it for cooking food for our family. Also, other projects, including, building a man-cave treehouse (it's wicked awesome), wooden boat restoration (work in progress, but getting there) and solar water heater for the swimming pool, all jumped the queue ahead of toys for me. Next project is to build a motorhome from a bus, for retirement travelling.

Other than that, nothing special

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did these wheels back in 2009;
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25[/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

This wheel had 12K weave

Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Feb 1, 17 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghetto Ā“rotor ringsĀ“: Biopace 130BCD rings on a square taper crankset, rotated anti-clockwise 72Ā° on the crank spider.

Nothing like as clever as the other hacks posted but they did the job.

Before:

After:

The older Biopace rings had a more pronounced shape than the Biopace II rings I used here.

-------------------------------
“Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.“

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [Wifeofatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're my favorite hack, Zach.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a mechanical hack for a test set-up, not for riding the bike.
In 2011 I wanted to test Q-Rings, if they improved my biking relatively to
round rings. For this I made a set-up with two 53-chainwheels next to each other,
one round, one a q-ring, such that I could
move the chain back and forth during test runs. That looked like this:

I put the results of the test hereunder for those who are interested:

Of course I had to move the chain between the test runs by hand, because the frontderailleur doesn't work with two 53-wheels.
The chain was on the 17-cog, which was not exactly between the two rings, but it cannot be all perfect...
The Q-Ring was mounted with OCP-value 3.

For the test the bike was mounted in the tacx flow with setting "constant wattage".

I tested at quite low perceived-intensity with pedaling frequency of about 80.

One test run was as below:
2'30'' with 220 W round ring : write down HF at the end.
1' with 130W regeneration
2'30'' with 230 W round ring : write down HF at the end.
1' swap chain and with 130W regeneration
2'30'' with 220 W Q-ring : write down HF at the end.
1' with 130W regeneration
2'30'' with 230 W Q-ring : write down HF at the end.
1' swap chain and with 130W regeneration

I did five same test runs which lasted in total thus about an hour.

Result of the test:
test run:--------------------------1-----2----3-----4----5
220 Watt Round ring HF: 116 116 118 116 114
230 Watt Round ring HF: 120 121 119 121 117
220 Watt q-ring HF: ------- 117 119 117 117 114
230 Watt q-ring HF: ------- 121 121 121 119 117

Conclusion:
There is a significant difference between the runs with 220W and 230W: about 3 heart beats.
10 W difference is about 5 % at 220/230W and is thus clearly noticeable in the Heart Frequency.
Comparing the round and the Q-ring, there is no significant difference. The difference must be at
least a lot smaller than 5 % or 4 % (with which Rotor advertised in 2011) because that should have
been noticeable, as can be seen from the difference between 230 and 220W.

(in the fifth run the HF was lower: probably because I was warmed up).

Although I did thus not see any difference, I decided to leave the Q-Rings on, since Rotor says your body adapts to them.

In 2012 I did the same test again, and found again no difference. That's when I decided to go "round" again.

By the way, since I rode 3 chainwheels on the front in those days, I needed another "hack" for my frontderailleur to work with Q-rings on the street:

Last edited by: longtrousers: Feb 3, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some of mine:

The wooden blocks are for my wife's bike. These go around her speedplay pedals when she wears casual shoes and rides with the kids to school. Release the velcro and she clips in for her regular rides. She's been using them for over 3 years now. I've replaced the velcro and deck tape once or twice.

The others are 3D printed items. A 12 degree wedge to angle up my pads, with the bolt holes at different places and spacings to be adaptable to different bars.

The orange, round piece is an insert for my K-Edge out front mount for a Lezyne computer. I just finished that. It took 3 iterations to get it right.

The knobbie thing in the middle is to replace my left shift lever when I went 1-x.

If you see something you like, I can send the 3D file.

Scott
Last edited by: lemond853: Feb 15, 17 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it! Very creative and practical way to set up a test rig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At most triathlons I've done, my seatpost is way too high to hang my bike on the rack by my seat. My handlebars are usually too high to go under the bar as well.

I made this simple clamp that I tighten to the rack with the screw knob, then the other side of the clamp holds my seatpost securely. Easy and fast to get into before and after the bike.

I've asked multiple officials, and all were good with it.
Last edited by: speed856: Feb 16, 17 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does my dual 700C Hooker Cat. 1 turned into a 650C/700C funny bike count? ("Ingenious" only in that the geometry worked out.)

Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 16, 17 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a cool idea! I have the same problem as you with my seatpost (I'm 6'6). Will certainly give it a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought my home-made derailleur hanger for a Cervelo P2 was pretty good.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...2_P5071372/#p5071372
Quote Reply
Re: Ingenious mechanical hack-jobs [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a few ask for more details. The clamp can be found by searching Amazon for: Chauvet DJ CLP-02 C-Clamp for DJ/Lighting Use

The hook that holds the seatpost is in the garage organizing section of Lowe's.
Last edited by: speed856: Feb 17, 17 6:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next