Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONMAN NC [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am reading your map right there be a lot more buoys compared to the other times I have done this race. That will be a welcome change particularly for the S bend section.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
Yes. There are 2 metal grated draw bridges: One very close to bike start, the other very close to bike finish. I don't love them either.

I don't even remember the one at the start but the one at the finish scared me.

i always find that my tires slip if i'm pedaling too hard...the front wheel will slip to the left or right if not perfectly straight, and the rear will slip if i pedal too hard. a few times when going over that section, my mind slipped and i'd wonder what i'd look like if i fell on that section. even going 5mph, you're sure to get ripped to shreds.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the people doing the half, my wave is at 8:54. What would you say the middle of the pack people would be able to do with that current. I'm thinking it could be very fast with the building current.

Thanks for all the great input as ironman barely puts anything out more than they have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My eyes aren't the greatest, but I think I see 2 different "Turn 3" buoys marked on that image.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Theo821] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 minutes MOP with the current. That depends on how fast the current is, and how middle of the pack you are.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 1:30-1:35 in wetsuit normally
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
25 minutes MOP with the current. That depends on how fast the current is, and how middle of the pack you are.

nick, that's a little quick for MOP, even at this race with current. i think you're looking at closer to low 30s. i've done this race 2x and was 31 and 29 minutes as a MOP swimmer,
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [jfhdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfhdvm wrote:
If I am reading your map right there be a lot more buoys compared to the other times I have done this race. That will be a welcome change particularly for the S bend section.

The only thing that makes me question having a side designation for all the red buoys would be that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have swimmers keep the first turn buoy on the right and the next one on the left. If you look at the picture i posted it looks like you follow to the second buoy and the line turns back toward the left. Why have a designated "turn" buoy in a section where your going straight? Maybe I'm just reading into this too much

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll make it bigger for ya.

Ignore about half on their BTW. A lot of that is extraction points if some shits the bed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still see 2 "Turn 3" locations.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the half a few years ago and the turn buoy out in front of the Blockade Runner was the only one that really mattered, there was still people not even going on the right side of it and they kept on swimming, made a big cut off right around that left hand turn into the channel.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just spoke with a Highway Patrolman that's babysitting one of the barriers set up for the bridge on NC53 which is part f the bike course, he said part could be back open today so its looking promising..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. That is the closest thing to an official update that we have gotten.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes its dropping fast, I was told there is no water on the road any longer in that section but still not low enough to inspect the bridge to see if its passible with some weight on it...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Yes. There are 2 metal grated draw bridges: One very close to bike start, the other very close to bike finish. I don't love them either.

How long are the metal grated sections?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Theo821] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theo821 wrote:
For the people doing the half, my wave is at 8:54. What would you say the middle of the pack people would be able to do with that current. I'm thinking it could be very fast with the building current.

Thanks for all the great input as ironman barely puts anything out more than they have to.

I'm doing the half. 9:02 wave. also a marginal MOPer for the swim in my other two HIMs (2015 Augusta and 2015 Chattanooga). Hoping for an even stronger current than those two. I think Augusta current was a little stronger than Chattanooga. Got to break out my wetsuit for a practice swim. It hasn't left the closet since April. Any word on water temps. I'll probably wear full sleeve but also have sleeveless.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkintn wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

first one leaving wrightsville beach is not long but the one at the end over the Elizabeth Holmes bridge is pretty long and requires some attention when going over it. Just get out of aero, slow down some (but not crawling slow) and ride straight.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkintn wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Fast forward to about a minute into this video. It's the actual bridge you'll be crossing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDN66ZNVQg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope all of you have Hotel reservations, just heard they are passing out 1800 vouchers for local hotels to displaced residents in the area, many of the shelters are closing and they are passing them out. Better call and confirm your reservation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there something about the downtown streets are flooding tonight?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, with the full moon the tides have been high the last few days. The cape fear river has been running really high with all the flooding comming down river and it actually went across the road in front of the battleship today on hwy 421/74. Caused a major back up, but when the tide falls it clears up. Water should be on water st as well tonight,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
speedy1971 wrote:
Turd, Very bummed I am going to miss the swim. I raced B2B last year. Can you give those of us unable to make it some pointers on the swim? I am hoping to get in Friday for a short trial swim.

I'll try, so stay with me as best you can.

According to the tide chart (http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/...ndar/month/3631.html) low tide is not until 7:50 that morning. So, regardless if the races starts at 7:20 or so when they normally do expect to fight the tide for the first half hour or so.

Here is a satellite pic of the buoys for the course that I got from IM since I am a volunteer medic. If I was swimming I would hug the docks for the first bit of the races. Currents typically are stronger in the middle of the channel, so if it's still going out this may not be a bad idea. But they can swirl around docks, so don't swim too close to them. And as the tide tends to reach absolute low and become slack for a minute I would switch back to the middle of the channel preparing to ride it the rest of the way in.

I am not 100% sure if you need to follow the turn buoys outside of turn buoy 3 which I think you need to keep on your left. If that is the only buoy that you need to have on one side or another, then I would aim for the right turn in the docks after turn buoy 3. After that right turn you basically have a S turn. And again, I'll preface it by saying that I'm not sure if you need to keep the buoys on one side or another. The fastest was to swim that S turn is basically swimming as the crow flies. You see a wacky inflatable arm guy on the docks.

Once you see that just bee line it for the docks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a pair of old running shoes lined up for once you get out of the water for the run to T1. It is a long run and cold bare feet on pavement can suck big time.

As an 8x B2B finisher, I'd like to say that you are giving away ALL of my trade secrets for this swim course...

When I snap my fingers, all 50-54M readers will awaken completely refreshed and relaxed, and will forget all of the above advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not doing this race and have no dog in the fight per se....But you have been very helpful to everyone here. Very good to see.

Keep on keeping on.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally emailed the race organizer at Ironman yesterday asking for any kind of information or update on the course, flooding, alternate plans, etc., here is the response I received:

"Thank you for your email. We are still planning to execute the race as scheduled. Should anything change the operations schedule or course of the race, we would certainly let athletes know. We will continue to monitor the situation closely. Please keep an eye on your email and the website for any forthcoming updates, and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,
Coordinator, Athlete Services"

So hopefully this is not just a canned response and the course is in good shape :fingerscrossed:
Last edited by: trieagle: Oct 18, 16 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it going to be a chilly start. Anyone going with arm warmers on the bike? I'm from FL so my cold tolerance is pitiful. I don't think I'll need them for the whole bike though and don't want to throw away $$ arm warmers. Anyone have luck with cutting old socks?
Quote Reply

Prev Next