Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONMAN NC [trieagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is definitely a canned response, so no real help.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that with a pair of old soccer socks a few years ago at IM Wisconsin. They worked well and I wasn't worried about tossing them since I was throwing them away anyways.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man... looks like you guys are gonna have perfect conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked the weather. It does look perfect. I do better when it is a bit cool, and they took away the rain they had forecast. I was a bit concerned because every tri I have done this year has gotten rained on.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am legit freaking out a little because this is by far the coolest race weather I've ever had. Only thing that comes close was the first sprint I ever did, in Vermont during July. Living in the southeastern US, I normally expect mid-to-high 80s. Hope I don't freeze to death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I just checked the weather. It does look perfect. I do better when it is a bit cool, and they took away the rain they had forecast. I was a bit concerned because every tri I have done this year has gotten rained on.

I am happy with the current forecast, but I could do without the 12 mph winds. However, a NW wind will be a headwind out but a tailwind back as long as:
1. They don't change the course
2. The wind doesn't change mid ride.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I could do without the winds. I had heard this was a windy course. I think we have to choose--wind or hills--for most races. I am more used to hills. The wind is tiring in its own way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Yeah, I could do without the winds. I had heard this was a windy course. I think we have to choose--wind or hills--for most races. I am more used to hills. The wind is tiring in its own way.

This course can be very windy at times, but it's mostly for the first half. I think I had a tail wind for the last 15 miles the last few times I did this race.

As for the temps, I'm not using warmers, gloves, or covers...Those temps require me to remove warmth gear after a short period of time.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ATTENTION ATHLETES –
The devastating effects of Hurricane Matthew have continued to impact Eastern North Carolina with historic flooding. Hundreds of citizens have been forced from their residences, with damage incalculable at this time. Despite the ongoing relief efforts, the City of Wilmington, New Hanover County, Pender County, Sampson County, Bladen County, the town of Wrightsville Beach, and the State of North Carolina are maintaining their support for the 2016 PPD® IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® North Carolina triathlons presented by New Hanover Regional Medical Center taking place on Saturday, October 22.
At this time, flood damage to the outer-loop of the IRONMAN bike course will not allow those roads to be utilized for the race. Emergency services personnel will be assisting residents, and disaster relief officials will be conducting inspections in that region. Due to this, the IRONMAN triathlon will now consist of the full 2.4-mile swim, an altered bike course of approximately 50-miles, and the full 26.2-mile run. The IRONMAN 70.3 triathlon will feature a 1.2 mile swim, the same 50 mile bike course, and the complete 13.1 mile run.
The 2016 PPD IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina triathlons presented by New Hanover Regional Medical Center will remain qualifiers for the 2017 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship events, respectively. The allocation of these slots will follow the standard allocation protocol.
Recovery from the disaster continues around the clock as emergency services and public safety agencies assist those in need. The federal government has declared several counties in Eastern North Carolina as eligible for FEMA disaster assistance. Through your support, we can help those in need in the community. The IRONMAN Foundation will be making a $10,000 donation to those impacted in the race communities through The American Red Cross and the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund. Athletes interested in contributing to those in need within the community can contribute online through The IRONMAN Foundation, where 100% of the proceeds will be donated back to support the organizations mentioned above. To donate, please click here: https://www.crowdrise.com/ironman-for-relief-nc
Our top priorities are to provide a safe race experience for our athletes and to respect the needs of and support the community. We look forward to welcoming you to the finish line on Saturday.
IRONMAN
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [wdmann4205] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wdmann4205 wrote:
ATTENTION ATHLETES –
The devastating effects of Hurricane Matthew have continued to impact Eastern North Carolina with historic flooding. Hundreds of citizens have been forced from their residences, with damage incalculable at this time. Despite the ongoing relief efforts, the City of Wilmington, New Hanover County, Pender County, Sampson County, Bladen County, the town of Wrightsville Beach, and the State of North Carolina are maintaining their support for the 2016 PPD® IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® North Carolina triathlons presented by New Hanover Regional Medical Center taking place on Saturday, October 22.
At this time, flood damage to the outer-loop of the IRONMAN bike course will not allow those roads to be utilized for the race. Emergency services personnel will be assisting residents, and disaster relief officials will be conducting inspections in that region. Due to this, the IRONMAN triathlon will now consist of the full 2.4-mile swim, an altered bike course of approximately 50-miles, and the full 26.2-mile run. The IRONMAN 70.3 triathlon will feature a 1.2 mile swim, the same 50 mile bike course, and the complete 13.1 mile run.
The 2016 PPD IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina triathlons presented by New Hanover Regional Medical Center will remain qualifiers for the 2017 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship events, respectively. The allocation of these slots will follow the standard allocation protocol.
Recovery from the disaster continues around the clock as emergency services and public safety agencies assist those in need. The federal government has declared several counties in Eastern North Carolina as eligible for FEMA disaster assistance. Through your support, we can help those in need in the community. The IRONMAN Foundation will be making a $10,000 donation to those impacted in the race communities through The American Red Cross and the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund. Athletes interested in contributing to those in need within the community can contribute online through The IRONMAN Foundation, where 100% of the proceeds will be donated back to support the organizations mentioned above. To donate, please click here: https://www.crowdrise.com/ironman-for-relief-nc
Our top priorities are to provide a safe race experience for our athletes and to respect the needs of and support the community. We look forward to welcoming you to the finish line on Saturday.
IRONMAN

Couldn't even loop the damn course? Shit

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so I want to know if I can switch to just the half...they have had a week to come up with an alternate course and obviously have come up empty. I think they could have made this work if they really wanted to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Looks like it going to be a chilly start. Anyone going with arm warmers on the bike? I'm from FL so my cold tolerance is pitiful. I don't think I'll need them for the whole bike though and don't want to throw away $$ arm warmers. Anyone have luck with cutting old socks?

why would you throw them away? can't you just stuff them in your top somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
Ok so I want to know if I can switch to just the half...they have had a week to come up with an alternate course and obviously have come up empty. I think they could have made this work if they really wanted to.

I understand the decision but I agree they could have probably figured something out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 50 mile bike course?! Can't they give us two laps? I know this sounds petty compared to what people down there are going through, but I have been training my ass off for a 112 mile bike course. I didn't spend 6 hours on the trainer Sunday to get ready for a 50 mile course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about a transfer option like they did in IMTX, or allow some to switch to the half, what options do you think they will offer?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
Looks like it going to be a chilly start. Anyone going with arm warmers on the bike? I'm from FL so my cold tolerance is pitiful. I don't think I'll need them for the whole bike though and don't want to throw away $$ arm warmers. Anyone have luck with cutting old socks?

why would you throw them away? can't you just stuff them in your top somewhere?

Not really. They def wouldn't fit into my pockets. I guess I could stuff them in my top but with it being so tight I could see that being uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it is a point-to-point bike course so it's not quite as simple as doing another "loop", but yeah, that sucks. I'm supposed to be volunteering as a bike catcher in the afternoon, but starting to think there may not be many bikes for me to catch at that time of day...I guess we'll see what happens!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you find the announcement? I don't have anything in my email, and I don't see it on their website.

Edit: I see they put it on FB.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Oct 18, 16 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its on their facebook page, I love some of the comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
how about a transfer option like they did in IMTX, or allow some to switch to the half, what options do you think they will offer?

Yeah I expected the option to defer if they had to make significant cuts. I'm still hoping for it.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember, when they cut half the bike course they don't have to pay half of the cops any more directing traffic, so they are making money on the deal. They better offer a transfer option or its just flat out wrong way to do business on their part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
its on their facebook page, I love some of the comments.

I wonder how big an impact this will be on the bike course congestion. 70.3 obviously starts after full but before half would turn at mile 30 or so. now that's not the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:

I encourage all M30-34 to take advantage of any transfer or deferment options available.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya and try to have everyone run on a 4 foot wide cart path as well around greenfield lake. Its gonna be a mess.
Quote Reply

Prev Next