Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONMAN NC [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastofbourbon wrote:
ashdash wrote:
beastofbourbon wrote:

The current will be weak, and at the beginning close to nonexistent. Swim times will likely be similar to 2010 and 2013, which were the two slowest B2B swims.

Those "slow" B2B times just put it in the realm of "normal" IM-distance times, though, correct? I looked up the results from those years, and while they are absolutely much slower than the other B2B years, they don't seem unreasonable. So I'm guessing it will be like a regular course (lake swim, perhaps) without a current assist? Or could this be a particularly tough day in the water? Sorry to ask so many questions -- the swim is by far my weakest discipline so it's really helpful to know what to expect.

Somewhere in a FB thread I posted what some of the swim splits were at past B2B races...

Basically in the slow years, mid-pack in the full was ~1:24 in 2010 and ~1:15 in 2013.

In most other years, midpack was out under 1 hr. Don't expect that this year.

Edited to add what I posted...

I'll just leave this here... there is a correlation.

2010 low tide 0659, fastest swim split 54:35, midpack male 1:24:39

2011 low tide 0417, fastest swim split 36:07, midpack male 52:22

2013 low tide 0742, fastest swim split 46:55, midpack male 1:13:05

2014 low tide 0323, fastest swim split 33:21, midpack male 53:08

2015 low tide 0508, fastest swim split 41:52, midpack male 58:22

2016 low tide 0750…

Oy.. So with this info known, what time would it be best to start the swim? In the front or back of the rolling start?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [ashdash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam a 57:40 in 2010 which is in the range of my normal IM swims. It was 39 degrees outside with low 60's water temp.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say the longer you wait to get in the water the more advantage you would have, i dont know how long it will take to get 1500 participants in the water but if its 30 minutes it would be a definite plus, i dont think it will be a tough swin unless its windy or some surface chop on the water, the salt water helps with bouyancy and the current will help out a bunch also.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think later but looking at the 2010 and 2013 swim times it seems the later tide actually had a faster overall time. Which from what I've read is odd because its closer to slack tide.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
I would think later but looking at the 2010 and 2013 swim times it seems the later tide actually had a faster overall time. Which from what I've read is odd because its closer to slack tide.

The 2010 swim was particularly difficult because of ridiculously cold water temps (61F, race date was mid-November) and a north wind chop which might have delayed any useful current.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
beastofbourbon wrote:
ashdash wrote:
beastofbourbon wrote:

The current will be weak, and at the beginning close to nonexistent. Swim times will likely be similar to 2010 and 2013, which were the two slowest B2B swims.

Those "slow" B2B times just put it in the realm of "normal" IM-distance times, though, correct? I looked up the results from those years, and while they are absolutely much slower than the other B2B years, they don't seem unreasonable. So I'm guessing it will be like a regular course (lake swim, perhaps) without a current assist? Or could this be a particularly tough day in the water? Sorry to ask so many questions -- the swim is by far my weakest discipline so it's really helpful to know what to expect.

2011 low tide 0417, fastest swim split 36:07, midpack male 52:22

2014 low tide 0323, fastest swim split 33:21, midpack male 53:08

2015 low tide 0508, fastest swim split 41:52, midpack male 58:22

2016 low tide 0750…

Oy.. So with this info known, what time would it be best to start the swim? In the front or back of the rolling start?

Honestly, from a current standpoint you are almost certainly better off in the back. But will it take long enough to get everyone in the water that there's enough current to offset the pitfalls of being in the back of the swim pack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They need to move the start time for this year's race to an hour later for .... ummm... you know, more daylight.

Quote | Reply
That's the question now. Not sure if I wanna deal with the bike packs or the swim traffic. If we're talking a 10 minute difference in swim times? I'd probably drop back. But not for 1-2 fewer minutes in the current.

If anyone had even a guess at what split difference were talking about by waiting till the end of the swim start I'd blindly believe you since i have no idea.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
That's the question now. Not sure if I wanna deal with the bike packs or the swim traffic. If we're talking a 10 minute difference in swim times? I'd probably drop back. But not for 1-2 fewer minutes in the current.

If anyone had even a guess at what split difference were talking about by waiting till the end of the swim start I'd blindly believe you since i have no idea.

5.723 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd be tempted to target swim earlier to avoid as many cyclists as possible. For some reason, people seem to have trouble biking in a straight line on the highway. Last year I saw one person nearly eat shit around a cone, saw several cones knocked over, and know a cyclist who wiped out in 2014. "Flat and fast" plus shinny new M-dot name may unfortunately draw out a number of poor cyclists, and this course starts out with a number of 90 degree turns plus the draw bridge... I would want to be ahead of the masses here.

I haven't read the athlete guide. Are they going to disallow spectators from swim start? I wonder about seeing that and making the 2 mi run to transition. Distance wise it's doable. I just wonder if they are going to disallow pedestrian traffic to the swim, as I think they have in the past. Anyone know?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I'm racing this year(planning on it next year though)... but would that be a metal grated draw bridge? Hate those f**king things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know for the full they are allowing spectators. Athletes will have a bus from T1 and spectators can walk.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. There are 2 metal grated draw bridges: One very close to bike start, the other very close to bike finish. I don't love them either.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I've just realized my schedule will allow me to go to this, so I'm behind on my planning for race day spectating / supporting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Yes. There are 2 metal grated draw bridges: One very close to bike start, the other very close to bike finish. I don't love them either.

All I can think when riding over one is: I'm cheese and it's the grater.

I rode over one while raining... scariest thing I've ever experienced on a bike.
Last edited by: dyarab: Oct 16, 16 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:

I don't even remember the one at the start but the one at the finish scared me.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not racing and haven't looked at the guide but I've raced the half the previous 5 years. I'm always annoyed at the first half mile or so out of transition, lots of zigging and zagging to get out of Wrightsville with some people trying to go fast, others to trying to clip in, speed bumps and the grated bridge. Should be interesting with even more people on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I wonder which spot will be carnage corner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM is really discouraging spectators at the swim start. It's a 2 mile walk to the swim start; they may not drive down there.

The "Spectator Guide" says: "The only way to access the swim start is by walking the two miles from Transition 1. We recommend spectators wait near the transition area to see their athletes."

Also of note: spectators are not allowed on the dock at the swim finish.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

I don't even remember the one at the start but the one at the finish scared me.

I actually never biked over the one that's at the finish now (wasn't on the course in 09-10-11) but I have run across both of them, and the studs on the one at the finish are much more prominent... creates more of a potential groove to get caught in.

The thought of riding the Holmes bridge was a little scary when it was B2B... now with twice as many people it's a LOT scary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water is dropping pretty good, im sure it will be down in two more days to at least asses the damage to the bridges if any. I rode up there today but there is still water acrosss the road and blocked off by the HP. Im still checking the ironman webite along with a thousand others and not a word.. Hmmmmm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced B2B 2012-15. I agree about the danger on the interstate portion of the course. I have seen a biker on side of road injured every year in that section. Between the cones on your right, the rumble strip on the left, people trying to pass, and lots of people reaching for their first gel (about mile 10-20 on bike), it is an accident every year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd, Very bummed I am going to miss the swim. I raced B2B last year. Can you give those of us unable to make it some pointers on the swim? I am hoping to get in Friday for a short trial swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
This is from the Unoffical IM NC practice swim thread:

....... some insider info from a reliable source that IM has a contingency plan for the bike course....... "everyone will be riding 112 regardless next saturday. It may not be on the original course but people will be doing 112"

ETA: Not my information or quote. I just did a copy & paste from the other thread.

My info not my quote. The guy i got that from is pretty in the know as the kids would say

Not sure the kids still say that. I'll ask my 7th graders tomorrow.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [speedy1971] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speedy1971 wrote:
Turd, Very bummed I am going to miss the swim. I raced B2B last year. Can you give those of us unable to make it some pointers on the swim? I am hoping to get in Friday for a short trial swim.

I'll try, so stay with me as best you can.

According to the tide chart (http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/...ndar/month/3631.html) low tide is not until 7:50 that morning. So, regardless if the races starts at 7:20 or so when they normally do expect to fight the tide for the first half hour or so.

Here is a satellite pic of the buoys for the course that I got from IM since I am a volunteer medic. If I was swimming I would hug the docks for the first bit of the races. Currents typically are stronger in the middle of the channel, so if it's still going out this may not be a bad idea. But they can swirl around docks, so don't swim too close to them. And as the tide tends to reach absolute low and become slack for a minute I would switch back to the middle of the channel preparing to ride it the rest of the way in.

I am not 100% sure if you need to follow the turn buoys outside of turn buoy 3 which I think you need to keep on your left. If that is the only buoy that you need to have on one side or another, then I would aim for the right turn in the docks after turn buoy 3. After that right turn you basically have a S turn. And again, I'll preface it by saying that I'm not sure if you need to keep the buoys on one side or another. The fastest was to swim that S turn is basically swimming as the crow flies. You see a wacky inflatable arm guy on the docks.

Once you see that just bee line it for the docks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a pair of old running shoes lined up for once you get out of the water for the run to T1. It is a long run and cold bare feet on pavement can suck big time.

Quote Reply

Prev Next