Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by StoppedClock [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: StoppedClock: Jun 28, 15 17:26
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
49/50/50. What a complete failure that would be.

#TheLittleLightsAren'tTwinklingClark #ShouldHaveDoneItInTheHurricane #PoolSwimingIsEasy #WhoHasn'tRunWithASoreHip #MoreLikeAluminumCowboy

Something tells me if you get Oprah involved, she's going to want to know about all the food he ate. Just sayin. #OprahAteHerTwinSisterInTheWomb

While I, too, feel the elliptical was a disappointment, let's see how this plays out and what he "claims". Or, does it take that long to sharpen the pitchforks so we have to plan now?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
So I know there is a growing % of people who have said who cares if he is scamming or whatever, or so and so met him and he is such a nice guy or lets stay on topic and get back to his incredible feat, the scamming and charity is unrelated. I think they are related. I gave him a pass on the indoor riding in Texas and Oklahoma because of the weather. I live here, it was beyond ridiculous in terms of bad weather. once, he went in because it was hot...???? so? look at IMCdA. they still held the full race... I digress. My point is, if he is "scamming" or "cheating" then what makes you believe he is being honest about everything else? Today he posted something about coming in earlier than an other ride or something...my first thought was, I wonder if he did the full 112?? not saying he cheated but IF (big if) he is scamming us then what makes you think everything else is on the up and up. the mere fact he is still hashtagging ic505050 tells me he isn't being honest with himself or the rest of the world. I totally support the idea Dev floated about Dan or someone saying he didn't actually do the entire thing if he goes on to claim he did. IT'S DISHONEST. I think the charity "fishyness" is very relevant and needs to cleared. People who donated hard earned money to him deserve it. Also, if he doesn't have a charity set up with and he thinks he can "receive" money and then write a big check somewhere...wow...he has a big big lesson coming in the form of taxes.

Yes, I think there probably needs to be some kind of interim media coverage now at the 25 day point and articulate in that media coverage that he's not at 25 AND not just because of the elliptical but other violations of generally accepted triathlon/ultra practices. That way it sets line in the sand "NOW" that he's not where he is claiming to be. 25 days later as a minimum he can make up "lost distance'. Having the coverage after 50 when he proclaims to Oprah or some other mainstream media what he did might be too late. You need the general media person like Oprah to be able to pull up some of the interim coverage to get the non biased journalism view of what happened. If not you get IM Cowboy's facebook fan club version which over represents he achievements vs ultra guys prior to him such as Didier etc.

As for the fishiness on the fundraising, while he might be loose on the fundraising front and also loose on definition of what constitutes an IM, I think it is logically flawed to claim that they are related. They might, but I have seen plenty of guys who are very honest in sport, who are plenty dishonest elsewhere in life, so it is possible to be squeeky clean in sport and still be kinda slippery elsewhere in life.

In any case, I think we really need Slowman as a minimum to publish an interim progress article to document what is known to have happened till now, both the good and the stuff that many of us are questioning.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev - I have thought a lot about the fundraising side and maybe Slowman can offer some assistance and utilize some of our collective powers to make sure the funds are collected and allocated properly. For instance, I for one would gladly volunteer my time to track all donations, donors e-mails and addresses to send confirmation letters and push that forward to the JOFF so they can acknowledge the charitable intent.

Also - if you sell a T-shirt in many states, it is taxable - so each state they should be remitting to the proper authorities (non-profits are income tax exempt, not sales tax exempt or exempt from collecting sales tax).

So, maybe these guys are not financially savvy, but if your look at the IRS990 and call the number listed on the tax return, it goes directly to JOFFs CPA firm - I will be calling them tomorrow to see where this really stands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that if he wants to be able to claim the 50/50/50 he needs to make up the marathon while hooked up to an iv that removes the total amount of iv fluids they have given him so far. Under a heat lamp to make up for the parasol.

Edit: also he might have to do several swims with a weight belt because pics show him doing pool swims and warm open water swims with neoprene jammer on.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jun 28, 15 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:
StoppedClock wrote:

Something about this 50/50/50 thing seems a bit off.

Iron Cowboy's web page has a link to what looks like a Jamie Oliver Foundation page with a donate button, but if you go through the motions of donating, it directs to the Iron Cowboy Fund. Just like a phishing scam would do.

On the real Jamie Oliver Foundation page, I don't see any mention of Iron Cowboy under news or events (correct me if I'm wrong).

Iron Cowboy states 100% of donations go to fight childhood obesity, and his expenses are paid by his sponsors. So I suppose if he says it, it must be true.

If I wanted to donate to Jamie Oliver Foundation, I would do it from Jamie Oliver's real web site.

I suspect the 50/50/50 is an elaborate phishing scam. And a good one, too, based on the unconditional trust of his fans.

Stopped Clock

I rode and ran with him yesterday in Atlanta. Extremely good guy. He is doing this for all the right reasons. I can't say why it isn't on Jamie's page but Jamie will be doing number 50 with him in Utah

Haha, right because people who run scams always tell the truth.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This actually would be the best EVER for the charitable fund...Think about it...If the IC was doing something malicious (Im not saying that this is the case; I still think it is just a little selfish), then the fund gets exposure, and is viewed as the 'hurt individual' thus increasing donations.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
This thread has taken several twists and turns.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [chrisinma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubt seriously the CPA firm will tell you anything... You need to call the foundation.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Hanktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA firm is the office of the foundation. Looks like a virtual operation as the have no ED. Charity phone number was CPA...called me back, need to give him a buzz. We will see.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

Almost as good as T3..........almost
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [chrisinma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IC has bounced back from some tendinitis problems on the bike and is apparently running with 195 people in the great state of NC. He is getting stronger and gaining momentum....so what did the CPA Firm say??
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Hanktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He provided me the contacts in London. I have asked them to confirm the effort and fundraising program. JOFF has been without an executive director, but all their social media is London-based. We shall see. The CPA firm was quite nice actually!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, why does that surprise you?? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A nice CPA? Most are. I never got my CPA, but have had them in my life for 25 years. Good people - them and tax guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, most are not so bad.

Signed - CPA/TAX GUY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Especially the ones on Slowtwitch.

So what is your take? Scam or not? Would you donate $ to him and let him pass through? What does the CPA/Tax stud say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's just say I WANT TO BELIEVE. Really hard to say -- I hadn't really thought about it until I started reading this stupid thread...of course, I also hadn't dissected his web site or anything either. I would advise the IC to get some proper tax advice and I would donate directly to the charity until we get some answers. I am truly hopeful he just hasn't got property advice and he is just a good dude trying to raise some money and achieve a crazy goal...and I hope he doesn't hurt anyone (including himself) in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanktri wrote:
Wow!! When and who did that? Impressive! And what charity did he use as a scam?

I see what you did there. 8/10

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

MMmmmmmmmmmm . . . no. not close. not yet.

but I haven't given up.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So lets just dissect one piece...on-line donations. Every $ he collects through his web site goes through a credit card processor. At the end of the year a 1099 will be generated in his tax ID or hopefully he has an LLC or something that protects him. Even 501c3's get these 1099's - I get them from my processor and when we used Paypal to collect member dues. This will be taxed as income to IC and even if he donates it all, he is still liable for the taxes under IRS codes.

Don't get me going on sales of merchandise and the cash collected - that is certainly sitting in a big bucket in his trailer and un-reportable cash donations - kiss that good by (unless he was the type of guy that WOULD NOT use a elliptical, and WOULD HAVE told every one up front that he was doing it and not get ferreted out by a photo....)

JOFF sent me a note and another person is going to respond to my questions. I think it is the EA to Jamie Oliver himself....but it is surprisingly hard to get any contact info and a number to call, but then again, they probably don't want crack-pots like me calling to verify IC.

I will keep you posted, but my week explodes with the final prep for the AJC Peachtree Road Race.

If any of you want to donate to a great cause....have at it: https://charitychase.kimbia.com/donate

Don't forget to select which branch of the military you'll support and if you do donate, let me know via PM and I will send you a Atlanta Track Club shirt or hat - a special treat. 100% of your donation is tax deductible and our Kilometer Kids program is amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:

I rode and ran with him yesterday in Atlanta. Extremely good guy. He is doing this for all the right reasons. I can't say why it isn't on Jamie's page but Jamie will be doing number 50 with him in Utah

One thing I learned from all the people that scammed my old parents and watching American Greed, is all con artists are really really super nice people. I haven't met a nasty con artist yet. And by this, I am not trying to say IC is a bad guy or anything until proven otherwise.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who works in the non-profit sector I'll also throw it out that this guy may no clue about any of the tax implications of what he's trying to do. Yes, he could be a scammer, or he could be someone trying to raise money for someone else and has no idea how complicated being a pass through organization can be. Many well meaning folks approach us each year wanting to put on separate special events or fundraisers and have no clue what they are getting themselves into. If it is a scam, then he isn't doing himself any favors with the social media trail he has left.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [FWTiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On another subject: has he explained the big X through his mdot tat on his calf? For a guy that's done several WTC events and is using (infringing) on the Ironman aura, that seems like a strange thing to do. If I were a WTC attorney, that alone would be enough to insist that he cease and desist with all the Ironman references in his campaign, on his website, etc.

It's also surprising that such a positive guy would have enough anger to permanently deface his body, although I guess he already crossed that bridge when he put the mdot there in the first place.

But, I'm glad to see he got the message about "rules", and that his courses have been consistently more legitimate since elliptical-gate. I'm rooting for him to make 28-28-28. or 47-50-50 or whatever. It's unfortunate that whatever happens, I'm sure he'll be claiming 50-50-50.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
ptakeda wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

MMmmmmmmmmmm . . . no. not close. not yet.
but I haven't given up.

IC would need to start having affairs with some of his groupies in each state; that would elevate him up to the T3 level:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next