Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

A lot of people will now know taking the IV is cheating/banned, until someone actually gets sanctioned for it. If one person openly violates things, others might view the practice to be mainstream and next thing you know, lots of folks with access to medical facilities are doing the IV thing.

I just don't see how DQ a couple of guys will even accomplish this. I would bet most people doing triathlons have no idea that it is even under USADA control.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:

Could I ask what you are hoping to accomplish by doing this?

Calling out cheaters.

We go on these huge ST hunts for drafting, but these guys post a picture of them taking IV's the morning of the race, and people question why we are upset about it.

Get their results stricken from the record.

IVs
Drafting

All in one race, by two people that admitted to cheating.

To play the devil's advocate in this.

The photo was undated to when it was actually taken (yes it was posted the night before and he commented on same. but not proof)
Could be real. Could have been a gag.
The IV may or may not have actually been hooked up to his arm. Simply being taped to it is not evidence.
The bag could have been empty, could have been filled with plain old water, or could have been filled with vodka.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely. Well said!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how people get pilloried for being naive enough to assume a doctor's prescription for testosterone makes using it while racing okay but someone who utilizes illegal IVs as a regular recovery method is given a free pass.
Quote Reply
Re: blah [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
….Basically IV's can manipulate plasma volume and mask or dilute prohibited substances,\.

Wouldn't that make the IV section of the med tent at an IM a major source of doping violations? Maybe the people there are just trying to dilute their PEDs in case they get a urine test.

Read the USADA link I posted.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: blah [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
AHare wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
….Basically IV's can manipulate plasma volume and mask or dilute prohibited substances,\.

Wouldn't that make the IV section of the med tent at an IM a major source of doping violations? Maybe the people there are just trying to dilute their PEDs in case they get a urine test.

Maurice

And that link provides another link. Look at section 3 criteria, item 2: "Supportive evidence that no permitted alternative treatment can be used." I suspect that time and fluids could have been used in most cases where IVs were administered in race med tents.

. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/...infusions_4.0_en.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: blah [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
AHare wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice
Ah, that was more layman-friendly than I expected.

So it does appear that the med tent at an IM would have a nonzero number of dopers (though it wouldn't necessarily be the case that everyone getting an IV there was doping). I've seen many posts on ST where folks say "I didn't need one, but got an IV to feel better" or recommending that others do the same, when it wasn't a medical emergency. It would violate the letter of the rule, if not the spirit (where the spirit is understood to be to stop people from manipulating their blood-passport profile).

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Funny how people get pilloried for being naive enough to assume a doctor's prescription for testosterone makes using it while racing okay but someone who utilizes illegal IVs as a regular recovery method is given a free pass.

All I am saying is dropping a dime on some guys that aren't "racing" seems kind of Barney Fife(ish) to me.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Just replying to you in general to follow through on my update.

Had a good telephone conversation with USADA. I just forwarded on the relevant information via email to USADA regarding prerace IV, along with results page to establish participation/completion of the HITS Kingston Half. USADA is planning to look into this since they have the photos, results, etc. (goes back to failing the stupid test).

I also spoke with Charlie Crawford at USAT - he deferred the issue to USADA, since it is a potential violation of Article 8 of the USAT rules (doping), for which enforcement responsibility lies with USADA.

I have not heard back from HITS.

That's all for now.

SEEK HELP.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

All I am saying is dropping a dime on some guys that aren't "racing" seems kind of Barney Fife(ish) to me.

So what you're saying is, breaking the rules is okay.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Your kidding right? Grab your bullet Barney...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

At what point in your mind is the right time to say something?

When do you let breaking the rules go, vs telling someone about it.

I'm just curious as to where your line is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Just go to Netflix and watch some Andy Griffith Show. I'm more Andy...that's my line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Just go to Netflix and watch some Andy Griffith Show. I'm more Andy...that's my line.

Here is my take...I want them called out because I find the recreational use of IV's completely egregious. There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly. Pro's included. don't believe me? go ask the doctors at Galveston about the $hit fit Andy Potts threw because the doctors wouldn't give him an IV after the race. literally, threw a fit. So why on God's green earth is it acceptable for these a$$ hats to be out there doing this? seriously. there is a national shortage. Better yet, find the doctor or nurse who procured these and suspend their license. This is when I find the whole "oh wow he is doing this for a great cause" crap completely ridiculous. It is completely self serving.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Last edited by: kman74: Jul 17, 15 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When in the scheme of life breaking the rule doesn't mean a damn thing to anyone, when nobody is effected either way positively or negatively. Rules do not equal to moral standards, although they may coincide. If he were a professional or a top age grouper whose violation of the rules would have an impact on others, calling it out would make sense. IC is neither of those things, didn't harm anyone's standing in the HITS event, and actually requested that his results be taken out of the official record anyway. It's quite petty that someone would find the need to spend the time and emotional energy calling out something so trivial; it's actually pretty telling about the misery of the person's life who would find the need to do so.

TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

It's pretty hilarious to watch you transform from ardent supporter to jilted girlfriend in this thread TBH.
Last edited by: aravilare: Jul 17, 15 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Here is my take...I want them called out because I find the recreational use of IV's completely egregious. There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly. Pro's included. don't believe me? go ask the doctors at Galveston about the $hit fit Andy Potts threw because the doctors wouldn't give him an IV after the race. literally, threw a fit. So why on God's green earth is it acceptable for these a$$ hats to be out there doing this? seriously. there is a national shortage. Better yet, find the doctor or nurse who procured these and suspend their license. This is when I find the whole "oh wow he is doing this for a great cause" crap completely ridiculous. It is completely self serving.

Yes, they should clearly listen to your rants. How do you even know they're using saline solution?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to worry about it to that degree, why not try to call out the more egregious violations of IV use, i.e. those who lie about their weight at registration or add extra weight in case they're actually weighed at registration (heavier clothes, boots, stuff in pockets, etc.), making it easier for them to appear as if they've lost more weight and get an IV at the end. That's definitely a more egregious violation than IC, who's not using race resources to obtain his IV and has used them as a safety measure to have appropriate hydration through an insane endurance feat. Go to any tri club and it will be no problem to find people who've done the former as a way to more quickly recover after an IM.

kman74 wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
kman74 wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Yes, they should clearly listen to your rants. How do you even know they're using saline solution?

You are right...I don't but I'm not really sure what else they would be using in the IV outside of medicine or a gelatin. They can't just put straight water into their veins sooooo. My point is I don't care about the "doping" aspect of things. I think its sad that they would procure something that is in high demand for something that is so self serving. multiple times.

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
If you want to worry about it to that degree, why not try to call out the more egregious violations of IV use, i.e. those who lie about their weight at registration or add extra weight in case they're actually weighed at registration (heavier clothes, boots, stuff in pockets, etc.), making it easier for them to appear as if they've lost more weight and get an IV at the end. That's definitely a more egregious violation than IC, who's not using race resources to obtain his IV and has used them as a safety measure to have appropriate hydration through an insane endurance feat. Go to any tri club and it will be no problem to find people who've done the former as a way to more quickly recover after an IM.

Yeah, who doesn't want an IV after a race. I know I would. As for the wearing extra clothes...I have never had to "weigh in" for an ironman so I am not familiar with this. I am sure there are tons of people who lie about their current "state" of hydration to receive one. Won't disagree with you on that. But the fact they are using them so readily is pretty disturbing when there are patients at hospitals who are getting half bags and giving another half to another patient because of shortages. That makes me scratch my head...like are you for real? whether they buy them or not, the person who has sold them to them or given them to him have to be aware of the shortage. The criteria they are using for people getting IV's is changing. Of course I am like WTF how can there be a shortage of saline solution. its water and salt!! haha.

kman74 wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today is day 43 of the IronCowboy's 50 day journey. It looks like barring some unforeseen tragedy that he will finish this odyssey still standing. I think we as a community can continue to find fault, or better, say that we've had some pretty indepth discussions on what each of us feels may be a deviation from a typical single day Iron distance race then put these discussions to rest. Whatever I may personally feel about each of the issues brought up, understanding that some us feel quite passionately about some aspects of his 50 days, none can deny that it's one hell of a feat that few if any of us could duplicate.

So my position will be positive, one of support and appreciation of a terrific athletic event. I don't particularly care if it is/isn't a "world record." That would be for others to judge if they so choose. I would ask that we put away the sabres, follow James Lawrence in his swimming, biking and running in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and beyond, and if we see him on the street one day, shake his hand and say, "You are an Ironman."

John

MidwestRoadie wrote:

kman74 wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
It is completely self serving.

uhhh, yeah doc. as is the entire sport of triathlon. so what's your point?

you also use the word legitimate. like some guy who's going to walk around lake placid next weekend for 16.5 hours is somehow more legitimate because he paid $750 to do it.

there's also a food shortage in this country, but i dont hear you going crazy about the amount of nutrition bars or gatorade that's given out at these legitimate events.

climb down from your pedestal
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
johnpostmd wrote:

you also use the word legitimate. like some guy who's going to walk around lake placid next weekend for 16.5 hours is somehow more legitimate because he paid $750 to do it.

there's also a food shortage in this country, but i dont hear you going crazy about the amount of nutrition bars or gatorade that's given out at these legitimate events.

There's also a WATER SHORTAGE in many parts of the country!!!
And these guys are drinking and bathing in lots of water - EVERY DAY!!!!!
Completely self-serving.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
johnpostmd wrote:

You quote me writing: "It is completely self serving." Sorry, but those words come from another poster in the thread. "Legitimate" belongs to another as well. Perhaps you could re-read the small portion that I contributed.

Thanks, though.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:

seriously? i'm calling bullshit. i can walk into a GROCERY store and buy a bag of IV solution here. what hell hole 3rd world country do you live in?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply

Prev Next