Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If that is the case, why all the posturing over people who do doubles?"

Because 11 days in a row of 2x30-35 minutes is not a sound running program. No issue with doubles when they are used in a way to effectively create a higher training load. 11 days of 2x30-35 minutes is REDUCING TRAINING LOAD TO accomodate doing more sessions? This is like the tail wagging the dog.

OK, I have posted on this topic approximately 24 times. Jenhs says that it has to be repeated 25 times for it to sink in on ST.

By the way, your seat is too high, your back is not flat, you have too many spacers, your FTP is not 400W, your P4 is going to become UCI illegal, your fins are USAT illegal, the draft zone does not not end 3 inches behind the other guy's wheel, and if you go to Ironman Florida or Clearwater, expect to be at a race for wet runners after a group ride. Does that cover the other topics on ST? One more, Steve Larsen has a Bento Box so we are all permitted to use them now regardless of what Swimfan says.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a 35 minute 10 k runner. More around 42-44 minutes. I do agree with you and EVERYBODY on doing longer runs It is definetly needed and has a big place in every runner's and triathlete's weekly workout. That being said A few of my doubles were meant to be long runs but interupted by work and a few nagging injuries. 7 minute miles ( most on the treadmill) still tax my system but I get over it pretty fast. I have been able to hold a 6 minute mile for 2 mile's and held 5k on treadmill in 20:08. Do I think I can do this outside Saturday? I hope too? I do know the 7:30 mile pace and 7:45 minute pace is alot easier for me now. two years ago my 5k time was 28 minutes. I do not expect miracles overnight. I went from averaging 20 miles a week to 38 -40 miles a week and one week topped 50 in this challenge. Hell I am 40 years old and having a little fun with this. I know I am a 8:30 min. easy pace guy but cannot help going faster no self control.

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, looking forward to #25. Please make it a doozie.

Thanks Dev for the 100/100.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, love (said in my best fake Australian accent)

run: 16.7 mi (2:20)
swim: 2500 yds (0:40)

Sweet, if I get an hour on the bike in later I'll have one of those Arizona-tri-coach approved four hour days.

Three caffeinated gels: there are butterflies in my heart

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, seriously. You had a bunch of days during this challenge without a daily rant. Still might be able to make it for the end if you just break up your bigger rants into two or three short rants every day.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chic, Caffeine is a drug you know!

Do you really do all that running on a treadmill? It's snowing here in jersey today so i can just imagine what it's doing in Southern Canada ( Maine ).

I would love to read your thesis by the way.

Peace.

Thanks dev for the 100/100.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.48 Miles @ 8:03 Pace:
My legs were a bit sore from the increase in bike intensity, so I took it fairly easy this morning and approached it as a recovery run. Ave HR 137 MB.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Roughtster, when you come back and post a race resume like Theriad's then let's talk some more.
Hey, I never said there was anything wrong with his training program. So good on him. Oh, and sort the 100/100 by points. You'll notice something right away about Theriad and I :) I'll have no problems coming back and posting my results for this season.
Last edited by: Roughster: Mar 20, 09 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you really do all that running on a treadmill?

yup.

PM me with your email if you want a copy of my beautiful thesis!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Yeah, seriously. You had a bunch of days during this challenge without a daily rant. Still might be able to make it for the end if you just break up your bigger rants into two or three short rants every day.

Hey that's funny!! Dev, you should definitley do one longer rant per day instead two short rants - too perfect.

xraycharlie - I won't be able to fit in a virtual 5k before the end. I'll have to be satisfied with my March 6th TT of 17:04 before the start of your race period. Hopefully with all this running I can PB in the 1/2 at the end of May.

Seriously though, if guys want to do 30 min. doubles for the rest of the week just to get to 100, then what the hell, you may as well - but don't try argue it is the best way to train.

Good idea a 100 day/ 100 rant challenge. LOL

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you can't join us for the virtual race . . . though for all of us with more MOPish times, I guess we can be a little encouraged by the absence of one of the fast guys. If the virtual race series gets off the ground, perhaps we'll see you there.

BTW, for everyone who has entered the virtual race or is planning to do so, I made an announcement on that thread that now you should get a confirmation email within a few days of sending in results. Among other things, this will help me keep track of my data entry. If you have already tried to send results but have not gotten confirmation, please let me know.

Additionally, I'd really like to recruit more womens for the race.

Link to the virtual 5K thread, once again:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...37431%3B=Next+Thread

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I notice that JoeO, Allan and myself seem to run more like 7:30 for easy runs, even after 100 days. I am at 7:45 pace when I am a little bit tired.
That sounds about right for me. Maybe 2 times a year I get into a groove where I am very fit and then a number of my easy runs get closer to 7:00. But for the most part 7:30 - 7:40-is quie common. I usually end up doing at least one run (sometimes more) per week slower than 8:00 mile
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stoked - I got 1:15 on the bike - so 4:15 total for the day. SCORE!

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I notice that JoeO, Allan and myself seem to run more like 7:30 for easy runs, even after 100 days. I am at 7:45 pace when I am a little bit tired.
That sounds about right for me. Maybe 2 times a year I get into a groove where I am very fit and then a number of my easy runs get closer to 7:00. But for the most part 7:30 - 7:40-is quie common. I usually end up doing at least one run (sometimes more) per week slower than 8:00 mile
I'll throw another sample out there. I'm not as fast as JoeO, Allan, or Tri_yoda, but I'm hoping to run 1:18 for a half in May, and 5/7 runs a week are around 8 min. mile pace. The other two runs are: track workout, and a sustained faster run slower than marathon pace (right now).

Last edited by: bonesbrigade: Mar 20, 09 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many years have you guy's (JoeO, Allan, Tri_yoda, Bonesbrigade and Dev) been running? While I know I wussed out at the end weeks here with the 4.25 - 4.50 dbls. Next week I plan on starting the rotation of 4 hour bikes and 1 1/2 - 2 hour runs along with the hour or however long i can take the boredom of the pool swims. Along with a block a week in there. Sorry if I offended you somehow Dev. I do have a Half Lite ( 1.2 swim , 40ish bike, 8 mile run ) May 9th. So my distances do have to get up there. Might be to late for that now . But at least you guys have motivated me not to look like to much of a ass out there. Either way I will make the results of that one public so you guys can do the old " I told him so" or " You could have done better if you did long runs." rants. LOL Just using the half lite as a training exercise . But will be triing my hardest to see what I can do. Any way showed good restraint today only did a 45 minute spin class and 3000 meter swim. I did want to run but thought my legs would be better off at tommorows 5k not running.

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running since I was about 12 so 29 years.

When I'm doing it right, except for the 1 or 2 days a week I'm going hard, all my other days are easy. It doesn't matter to me what the pace works out to be. All I think about on those easy runs is making my stride smoother, more efficient, and as effortless as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How many years have you guy's (JoeO, Allan, Tri_yoda, Bonesbrigade and Dev) been running? While I know I wussed out at the end weeks here with the 4.25 - 4.50 dbls. Next week I plan on starting the rotation of 4 hour bikes and 1 1/2 - 2 hour runs along with the hour or however long i can take the boredom of the pool swims. Along with a block a week in there. Sorry if I offended you somehow Dev. I do have a Half Lite ( 1.2 swim , 40ish bike, 8 mile run ) May 9th. So my distances do have to get up there. Might be to late for that now . But at least you guys have motivated me not to look like to much of a ass out there. Either way I will make the results of that one public so you guys can do the old " I told him so" or " You could have done better if you did long runs." rants. LOL Just using the half lite as a training exercise . But will be triing my hardest to see what I can do. Any way showed good restraint today only did a 45 minute spin class and 3000 meter swim. I did want to run but thought my legs would be better off at tommorows 5k not running.

Personally, I come from a cycling background (mountain bike racing), and have been casually running for the last 5 years. I started running more seriously in the last 2 years because I picked up duathons as a new sport - no swimming for me...

I quickly realized in duathlons, that you won't finish on the podium unless you run well - duh! My bike split has always been there, so I've been concentrating on the run with a good buddy of mine (1:12 half runner). He got me running faster, but probably too fast for my easy days, due to the difference in run fitness (I could make him suffer on the bike though!!).

This past winter, with the help of a coach, and the 100 day thingy, I've managed to take my mileage from 40ish to 60ish, and also slow my easy runs way down. Note: The reason I could increase my mileage so much was because I slowed my easy runs way down. Now I'm running better than ever, and am still improving every week. I may not cycle as much this year, and instead focus on the run to see how far I can take it. We'll see though, as the weather is starting to get nice...I hate running in the heat.

Been running a long time cool. I ran a little in school. Not sanctioned but was on the soccer and swim teams. Nothing major since High school. Been training for tri 2 1/2 years now always loved to run. Would be great to hear from people who took the challenge how long they been running. I would bet the 5k results would show in the times the difference between the years in running. Of course there would be a few naturals out there. I too try to think of efficiancy when running and my stride even when I am going harder.

Quote | Reply
When I'm doing it right, except for the 1 or 2 days a week I'm going hard, all my other days are easy. It doesn't matter to me what the pace works out to be.

How do you decide what is "easy" pace? I do not have a running background at all and this thread has taught me alot. I have been trying the running easy thing as defined by McMillan (and shooting for the slow end of that as well) but is there a more personalized way of determining a correct pace?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy is not a pace. It is a level of effort. Or rather, it is whatever feels, effort-LESS. That's critical. I get so many people asking me how fast to go on easy days and I say, go "easy" and they think I'm being cute with them when really I am in earnest. Go easy means go easy and let the pace fall where it may.

Some days that might be 7:00 pace. Some days it might be 8:00 pace

It has to be the kind of thing where I'm looking around at my surroundings, could easily carry on a conversation with long full sentences not feeling out of breath, etc.

I have noticed that when I do keep the effort easy, my pace gets better and better because the relaxation that comes with it naturally gives me better form.

"Relax" is a good word to keep in your head on such runs. I've heard from more than one elite runner that the ability to relax at speed is key to racing fast. Well you can't relax at speed until you can relax at...er... "slow"
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 20, 09 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Been running a long time cool. I ran a little in school. Not sanctioned but was on the soccer and swim teams. Nothing major since High school. Been training for tri 2 1/2 years now always loved to run. Would be great to hear from people who took the challenge how long they been running. I would bet the 5k results would show in the times the difference between the years in running. Of course there would be a few naturals out there. I too try to think of efficiancy when running and my stride even when I am going harder.

I have only ever run as a result of doing other sports until the last year and a half. Most of that running was shorter bursts, fasttwitch stuff, for hockey and karate. A torn ACL has now pushed karate to the side so I took up triathlon. I went from running twice, maybe three times a week last summer to 100+/- in 100 days. After struggling through the run portions of every tri I did last summer i decided to do the 100/100. On November 15 I started upping my run frequency, limiting most runs to 30-35 minutes. My "comfort" and speed improved significantly and quickly. I quickly racked up 50 runs in the first 35 days of the 100/100. After that i started to do some longer runs, and cut way back on the doubles. I also tried increasing my pace at least once a week. I am glad I racked up some doubles early, as life has gotten
in the way of training the last week and a half. The reason i am glad is that like some others here, I do place some importance on finishing the 100/100.

I seriously doubt I will ever challenge some of the studs here in a road race or tri, but I still love to compete where I can. I treated this as a competition from the get go. I was hoping to hit 1000km and be in the top ten for at least a couple of categories, but that will not happen now - maybe next year.

As a result of this challenge, I took over five minutes off my 10km time and ran a 20 minute 5km race a few weeks ago. I could not have run those times in November. I will be racing a half Mary on the 29th and I am hoping to do well. The key word in that last sentence is racing. Six months ago I would have been doing that race.

As a final note ... for the first time, I am actually enjoying running. I look forward to getting out there. Now if I can just figure out how to enjoy swimming ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. You know a lot more about run training than me. I won't waste anymore of your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy is not a pace. It is a level of effort.

Ok, that I can understand. The difficulty which remains is still not going too fast. One unanticipated consequence of the 100/100 is that I can now run much farther much faster than ever before. The relax comment reminded me that the same is true for swimming, I just need to keep it in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev! My name disappeared from the 100/100 list. Does this mean I'm done? :-)
Did I accidentally remove myself from the list while in a fog?
Will I get to the Bronze level?
Or have I been relinquished to the nether zone????
Last edited by: IronMike: Mar 20, 09 19:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next