Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doubles [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yippeee!!!! 100/100 done and done! Anybody else start on 12-1-08?

Edit: Can anyone count? My mistake, couple more to go.
Last edited by: Tri N OC: Mar 8, 09 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: March 7 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mini Race report:

5km run in Penticton today. My goal was 19:59.

Very cold and extremely windy. My first 5km race ever.

My plan was to go out as hard as possible and try to stay with a good pacer rabbit for as long as possible. I got in a good little group after passing about 20 people at the start and found a decent rhythm. I was feeling a little rust as I chose not to run much from Wednesday on, but after a km I ws warmed up pretty good and chugging along, breathing as loud as a freight train. At about km 2 I glanced at the Garmin and was happy to see the pace at 3:55/km. At around 3 km my group started to spread out, I passed the first place woman in the race and my pacer bunny got about ten steps on me. Like I said it was super windy, and unfortunately my pacer dropped me right when we turned into a gale force wind. I struggled for the next half km and lost about ten seconds on the pace. With a km to go I glanced at the watch again and saw 16:08. I pushed as hard as I could but crossed the line at 20:02.

Considering the conditions I was happy with the time, but three seconds less would have been awesome.

100/100 once again gets the credit. My 10km PB prior to this was 48:45, so a twenty minute 5km is pretty damn exciting.

Postcript: I finished 4th in my AG, 19th overall out of 225. Tom Evans was first in my AG, and he only beat me by around 3 and a half minutes, so I am not too bummed. Next year.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: March 7 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work man. So Tom was only 3.5 minutes ahead of you after 5K, so if you can keep the same spread, you're looking at running approximately 28 min slower than him in an IM marathon :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little over 4 miles slow and a little painful iced knee and hip right after and they feel good now.Did not want to push to hard with my hip flexor being the way it is. I was finally able to run (if you can call what I did running 4.10 in 39 min.) a bit. Funny enough I biked this morning 26.5 miles and pushed close to 19 mph average with out really tri'ing. Had a little pain in flexor area when I pushed uphill to hard so I backed off. If I pushed I might have been able to do 23 mph average.
HOPE I AM BACK TO FINISH THIS OFF! Going to be going slow and not to far for a while as not to aggravate again. I think all the fitness and the little speed I gained doing this challenge should not be lost in two weeks of doing minumum. Anywho I did over 400 miles in 3 months a accomplishment in itself for me.Hopefully the speed will be there come virtual raceday.
Was 12/1/08 when we started the test to see if spreadsheet worked?

Last edited by: bmanners: Mar 8, 09 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good race.

In Reply To:
Tom Evans was first in my AG, and he only beat me by around 3 and a half minutes, so I am not too bummed. Next year.

Next year what, next year you will beat Dr. Tommy?!

So it was warm in Maine today, took the bike out for 90 min! Nice. Nearly a 4 hr day for me.

Roughster, your bike resembles an oreo cookie.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! Well done CC!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Capt.Canada ! Hope I can match your time in a week or two.
You do know it took all the effort I had not to use the Capt. Crunch thing.

Re: March 7 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next year what, next year you will beat Dr. Tommy?!

Ummm ... we'll see. I might have to do like Khai http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0dr%20tommy;#1870345 and find something I can actually beat him at. Cooking contest maybe???

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was 12/1/08 when we started the test to see if spreadsheet worked?

That was when I started logging time.

Sorry to hear about the hip flexor problem. I had a mix of that and IT tightness that was really helped when I got back to yoga and anchored situps.

So far I have not had any real problems while on the 100/100 program. (knock on wood). I am going to try to capitalize on this effort by continuing with a BarryP and other gods of running approved plan for a May marathon. Silverman is my goal IM this year so I should have time to build up on the bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Doubles [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wonder how much or how often some people are going to run after this challenge is over.
I started running every day back on December 1, 2007 when the 2007 / 2008 100 runs in 100 days started. That was 462 days ago. In 17 days I plan on completing this years 100 runs in 100 days and continue on running every day until I complete 501 days. I also added a minimum distance along with a time minimum for a run to count. So I need to run at least 4 miles and the run needs to be 30 minutes or more to count. I like the fact that every day I know that I'm going to run. I have been pretty sick twice during this streak and turned over my ankle on a run but I was able to run through these things and I actually felt better because I ran. My hardest run was probably the 4 mile run on December 8, 2008 on the day after the Tucson Marathon...it was painful.
Quote Reply
March 9 - 8.5 with [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grandma.

77:45 legs were out of sorts from a long day yesterday (cycling not running).

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats my fellow Canadian. It looks like on a noraml day you would have been under 20min. for sure. You'll get in next time.

4.25 in 36 minutes slow but the first mile was just under 10 minutes and I picked up a little here and there. feeling out the hip flexor problem. Did a hard hour on spin bike right before and legs felt great. Going to ice down now.

Re: March 7 [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling a little beat up in the legs myself. Probably it's the result of too much running on bare pavement in screw shoes. Would rather be free of the screws, but there are still plenty of icy patches, and with my run commute being in the dark much of the time, I feel like I should be prepared.

This will be a pretty light week for me. I'm doing a 5K on Saturday, and practically everybody I know is in it, so I've got to put in a decent performance. Hopefully my sore right calf and creaky left big toe joint will settle down by then, or the adrenaline will allow to to ignore them. I already bailed on my run commute yesterday, and everything's improved a little for having a day off. Just as well that I didn't run - work was seriously busy yesterday. Only two techs working, with me working alone for parts of the morning and afternoon. Kicked off the morning with a snowmobile accident, and had three OR cases (hip fixations) during the day. Also, it's flu season.

I think if I'd run to work, I would've taken a cab home. Frustrating to have been so close to catching up to 100/100 pace - I'm still one run behind. Not planning to do any major spreadsheet chasing this week, though.

BTW, a general announcement here: INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES FOR THE VIRTUAL 5K HAVE BEEN POSTED ON THE MAIN FORUM.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran an 5k yesterday as well. Last year it was 0C and windy, this year it was pouring rain and windy, but at least it was 2C. My warm-up consisted of 2x50m strides about 1 minute before the start. Before that I was shivering under a plastic disposable rain coat.

It was an out and back course, and the wind was on our backs for the 'back' part, so it was great to hit the turn around.

Last year I finished in 18:39, this year 18:16. I'd hoped for a little faster, but I don't think marathon training is the best way to get faster in a 5k. The last time I ran 5k pace was Sept 2009. Speed work for my May marathon starts this week.

cheers - mark
Quote Reply
Re: March 7 [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BTW, a general announcement here: INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES FOR THE VIRTUAL 5K HAVE BEEN POSTED ON THE MAIN FORUM.
Where on the main forum? I can't seem to find the post / rules. Thanks.
Last edited by: DougWelsby: Mar 10, 09 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: March 7 [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops, should have posted the link.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

It fell down to page 3 last night. Guess everybody was fairly talkative on the forum for a Monday night.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
March 10 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16 at 6

There's the long run I didn't get in this weekend. Ran the first 7 mi @ 2.5 % incline 7:47s, then 3 mi @ 6:40 pace and 1% incline, and the final 6 at 1.5% incline 7:42s.

Decent.

Quote Reply
Re: March 10 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! What is your PR for a 1/2 mary and a full mary? If you don't mind me asking.
Quote Reply
Re: March 10 [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half is 1:34:55 from Feb. 15 2008.

Full is 3:42, October 2005 (I was 18).

Won't run another full for a very long time, like not til I'm 28 or so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice times. I've heard you say no full mary untill 28 before and I'm sure there is a reason. Care to share it? I'm 55 so it won't pertain to me, I'm just curious..lol
Quote Reply
Re: March 10 [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better to get fast at shorter things now, then move up to that distance.

Peak marathoning age is 28 for some reason.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just did run 99 this afternoon ...... One more to go ..... and then some more after that!
Quote Reply
Re: March 10 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beyond my better judgement ran two times today . Hip felt good and I iced knee and thigh down after. Second run was a little under 8 minute miles. Did 4.25 miles each time. Second One in 33min 15 sec. and first one in 35 min I think. Planned on doing one longer 7 milish run but was at work and bell sounded, so out the door I went. Plan on doing a afternoon run ( 4.5 miles ) tommorow and 3 hour bike in morning. As long as legs feel okay. Legs feel very good if I bike a little to warm up first. Maybe my body is used to doing bricks everyday now. One thing is sure this challenge has definetly showed me the importance of a warm up a cool down and stretching. Along with that it has also brought me knee problems, hip problems, calf and foot problems. Nothing to serius but just enough to make me see what goes into being a good or even a great runner. The sacrifices and pain that top runners put up with are amazing if not unbeliavable. Even more amazing for the age groupers that do it day in and day out just for the pure love of it. The minute and a half average a mile ( if not more.) I gained through this challenge is nothing compared to what I have learned about running and my own body.
Dev thanks again ( As if you have not heard that enough!) for putting this all together. Now enough with the mushy shit you all
need to HTFU!

96 runs since 12/01/08

Last edited by: bmanners: Mar 10, 09 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: March 10 [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20.83 Mile Ride / 6.37 Mile Run (Brick)
Started off with a good section of rolling hills and wind. I figure with the CDA course considered a rolling type course, getting in as much of this type of cycling is probably a good thing. Went very well with 20.83 miles @ 21.5 mph Ave / 151 Ave HR MB Got home, slapped on the shoes and threw down my brick run. Felt very good and easy. 6.37 miles @ 7:12 pace / 152 Ave HR MB
Quote Reply

Prev Next