Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
1) 220w
2) 28.2mph
3) 25 mile TT
4) 154lbs
5) P5 w/Jet 9+, Stinger Disc, USE Tulas, 1x AeroCoach Arc 58t
Notes: Awful ride. Am very slippery.
Hey Grill- Can I ask you a couple more questions about this one? On the face of it, your ride seems otherworldly in the aero dept. Was there a "gift hill" and/or substantial draft from traffic (or perhaps even a net tail wind)? Do you happen to have a current photo of your position? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Grill wrote:
1) 220w
2) 28.2mph
3) 25 mile TT
4) 154lbs
5) P5 w/Jet 9+, Stinger Disc, USE Tulas, 1x AeroCoach Arc 58t
Notes: Awful ride. Am very slippery.

Hey Grill- Can I ask you a couple more questions about this one? On the face of it, your ride seems otherworldly in the aero dept. Was there a "gift hill" and/or substantial draft from traffic (or perhaps even a net tail wind)? Do you happen to have a current photo of your position? Thanks!

It was on the R25/3h which does have a gift hill. Power posted above was AP (NP was 225w). Position-wise I posted link to a gallery on the previous page. My CdA is a known quantity (and very low) as I've spent over a dozen hours testing on the track with AeroCoach.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 142 W 153 NP
2) 21.5 mph
3) 14.3 miles
4) 138 lbs
5) Cervelo P5six, Quarq Dzero powermeter, Zipp FC 808 wheels, butyl tubes, Cont GP4000ii, Xlab Torpedo, Torhans bento, Xlab wing (with repair kit, tube etc duct taped in) behind the seat with single gorilla cage.
6) IMTX - crashed at mile 14.3 - long day with no t-shirt or medal at the end. I think my powermeter reads a little low, but the Training Peaks file is here: http://tpks.ws/...X4YUONOCFZYTPYHE42JY

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this was a bike position thread I'd definitely tell you your seat is too high...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 277ap/277np
2) Average speed in MPH - 27.1
3) Distance - 12.8 miles
4) Rider weight - 163 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Dimond, tririg alpha x, 1x sram, HED Jet + disc & 9
6) excuses - got my ass handed to me in the swim and this bike ride was hard from the beginning. Couldn’t push power. Also first time I used the premiere chain which has a Wipperman quick link and I apparently installed it backwards which resulted in the chain slipping on the cassette for the entire fucking ride. 🤦🏼‍♂️
7) No side photos from race.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kit is that? Looks good.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwami sleeveless Tri suit (amphibian iirc) w/ castelli T1 over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am finally able to post a performance I am excited about, compared to others. I have always been envious of people that posted seemingly very high speeds relative to their power compared to me. This ride was 1.7 MPH faster than a year ago on 25W less power. I did a lot to the bike and my position since then.

1) 183W average; 190WW NP (according to Garmin)
2) 21.7 MPH
3) 56 miles - Gulf Coast 70.3
4) 185 lbs. (84 kg)
5) Felt IA 16; HED Jet Black 9/Disc; Continental Attack/Force; Latex tubes; Omega X brakes; XLab Torpedo BTA; 2 behind the seat bottles; Bell Javelin helmit; DeSoto 1-piece tri suit
6) Very flat and fast course with a tail wind on the return (probably a head wind on the first half)

My fitness was way off due to injuries and illness, and I only had five weeks total in 2018 of three-discipline training. I intentionally backed bike power way down to <70% FTP and heart rate in low Zone 3 (or high Zone 2, depending on the table) to save for the run. I think if I had ridden to my typical HIM power at around 220W - 230W, I could have crushed through 23MPH.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 181W average; 189WW NP. VI 1.05
2) 20.2 MPH
3) 56 miles - Gulf Coast 70.3
4) 190 lbs.
5) Felt IA1; HED Jet Black 9/Disc; Specialized Turbo 24mm; Silca Latex tubes; Zip tied bottle cage BTA, with a bottle at halfway mark; 1 behind the seat bottle; Spec S-Works Evade helmet; DeSoto 2-piece tri kit
6) Very flat and fast course with a tail wind on the return, small head wind on the first half. Good pavement for the whole ride. Stopped at mile 28 for 1 minute to pick up my flat kit.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 263/265np
2) Average speed in MPH 19
3) Distance 21.25
4) Rider weight 160
5) Describe bike and wheels Premier Tactical conti SS
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero No excuses. new PR on this course. Uphill TT 2400' of climbing
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 165 AP / 170 NP
2) 20.9
3) 13.6mi
4) 145 lbs
5) Cannondale Slice, HED Jet 6+
6) Heard a rubber squeaking sound as I was taking my bike out of transition, need to check my back brake to see if it's rubbing a little, I was 11 seconds out of 3rd, I'm sure this is why :)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 164 (normalized power 174)
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.0
3) Distance - 12.8
4) Rider weight -150 lbs.
5) Describe bike and wheels - Felt B2 with Hed Jet 6 wheels
6) Misc notes: First place in M 60-64 age group

Last edited by: Ken W: May 21, 18 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 288ap/290np
2) Average speed in MPH - 26.8
3) Distance - 40km
4) Rider weight - 163 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Dimond, tririg alpha x, 1x sram, HED Jet + disc & 9
6) excuses - 15mph headwind first 40% of race + mid 80s temps and sunny made it a tough day. This was my first individual 40k and learned a lot. Should have payed more attention to speed and less to trying to hold steady power with the wind gusts. Gust would come along and knock my speed down 2mph and I would just hold the power steady which would result in me slowly getting back up to speed. I should have surged to get back up to speed quicker I think in retrospect. Also about halfway back I had a weak point mentally and only pushed 260w for about 5 minutes, just wasn't mentally present enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid effort on the 40km for first ever crack at it. Tough distance to pace without a few attempts.

I have two races to report: Amgen Tour of California Stage 4 TT from May 16th and my local sprint triathlon from May 20th.

Amgen ToC:
1) AP: 333W / NP: 350W
2) Avg Speed: 28 mph
3) Distance: 21.6 miles
4) Weight: 157lbs
5) Cannondale Slice, Flo Disc/90, Bioracer Road Skinsuit, Oakley Aro7 Helmet.
6) Result: 46:03 - 85th in pro field out of 116 who made the time cut. Only a little faster than 30 professional cyclists, a lot slower than a handful of genetic superhumans, pretty close to a bunch of genetic lottery winners on super aero setups and tired legs/little motivation due to cycling being a game of chess.
7) Excuses: not fully recovered from 70.3 St. George and definitely hadn’t practiced enough on the course. First half was windy and uphill (2 hard climbs) second half had 2 very technical descents where I lost a lot of time by scrubbing all my speed.
8) Video of my ride: https://m.youtube.com/...amp;index=2&t=0s

Hickory Grove Sprint (3 OA finish - definitely not 100% for this one)
1) AP: 322W / NP: 340W
2) Avg Speed: 27.3 mph
3) Distance: 15.5 miles
4) Weight: 157lbs
5) Cannondale Slice, Flo Disc/90, Giro Aerohead, 2XU Project X Sleeved Trisuit
6) Excuses: windy, legs beat from ToC TT and 3 days of training after, lots of corners, three 180° turns, 3 loop course puts a lot of slow people in the way (especially at the 180° turn!) I biked 34:30, next closest was 37:30. I need to learn to run a faster 5k and swim like I’m a fish.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: May 21, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 262 Watts
2) 21.7 mph
3) 25.3 miles
4) 174lb
5) 2005 Specialized Transition Elite, Hardshell 700x25 Folding Gatorskin
6) From an olympic triathlon. 956 ft Min Elev; 1,060 ft Max Elev = 928ft gain/loss. I've never had a bike fit (professional or otherwise) and probably look ridiculous attempting to be aero.

I also NEVER ride apart from Zwift and I was all over the road, which certainly compromised speed to watt ratio. I probably looked drunk.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: May 22, 18 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 161ap/182np/250ftp (sucked at pacing - was going for 190np for first triathlon)
2) Average speed in MPH - 20.2
3) Distance - 56mi (IMCHOO 70.3)
4) Rider weight - 166 lbs (6'0")
5) Describe bike and wheels - Speed Concept (low/far w/45mm riser), 808's, Attack/Force/Latex, Torpedo BTA, 2 BTS.
6) Excuses - I somehow ended up ejecting both a torpedo and a bottle of BTS nutrition. Realized the torpedo and turned around to get it - didn't know about the nutrition until I reached back. Ended up only taking in 500 calories and the torpedo was too hard to get water out of due to the bite valve being so slow. Didn't have enough time with it in training and thought I could work through it. Went out too hard and was above 200 for a couple 20 minute periods and faded over the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [slow-rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 272/276
2) 27.8mph
3) 9.1mile TT
4) 155lbs
5) 2016 Argon 18 E118, 1x Sram etap, Hed Jet+ disc/60, Corsa speed 23mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 264 watt avg. power; 267 watt normalized power
2. 26.0 MPH avg. speed
3. 12.4 Miles (Sprint Triathlon)
4. 147 lbs
5. Giant Trinity Advanced Pro, Profile Design 78 TwentyFour Carbon Clinchers
6. N/A
Last edited by: jmjtri: May 27, 18 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please comment my outdoors FTP test:

1) Average watts : 302 AP/ 302 NP
2) Average speed in MPH : 26,71 MPH (43,5 km/h)
3) Distance covered: 9miles / 14,51k
4) Rider weight : 165 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels : P5-3, Hed Stinger 9 front, Zipp sub 9 disc, POC Cerebel, Castelli suit.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero : Best 20' indoors was 317 AP, but not in aero position.
7) Course: mostly flat, aero position 100% of the test.

Also did a 1h test in a 100k ride to confirm my 70.3 power target:

1) Average watts : 240 AP / 245 NP
2) Average speed in MPH : 22,3MPH (36 km/h)
3) Distance : 22,4 miles (36k)
4) Rider weight : 165 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels : P5-3, Hed Stinger 9 front and back, Giro Air attack (no shield), Castelli suit.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero : some hills and moderate to strong cross winds.

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) SRM Died :(
2.) 29mph
3.) 3km pursuit (3:52:22)
4.) 165lbs
5.) Fuji Track Elite, Brezza Nano's, Walker Bros disc rear, generic 5 spoke front, vitt pista evo tyres.
6.) Horrid, absolutely miserable start in the wrong gearing. Arrived about 10 min before the start so no warmup, 6 hours in the car and no food... not the best prep. SRM died immediately so no data :(
Also did a kilo in the same gear and did a 1:18... also a bad start (like it's a trend)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoodoo wrote:

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers !

Rough guess on CdAs is .26 and .34, respectively. Unless those courses were really hilly or windy (particularly the 2nd one), you have a lot of room to get faster. I don't see any reason a triathlete can't average close to 25mph on 240 watts. I'm your size, and I last averaged around 26 at that power, in poor conditions. Some, like Grill, go 28 or so with that power.

You aren't using Tufo tires by any chance, are you?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 28, 18 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM70.3 St Pölten 2018, yesterday. 3h03m.
171w Avg, 183w NP.
29.3km/h

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Hoodoo wrote:

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers !

Rough guess on CdAs is .26 and .34, respectively. Unless those courses were really hilly or windy (particularly the 2nd one), you have a lot of room to get faster. I don't see any reason a triathlete can't average close to 25mph on 240 watts. I'm your size, and I last averaged around 26 at that power, in poor conditions. Some, like Grill, go 28 or so with that power.

:) No, not Tufos, but I rode Gatorskins for these rides. These are my everyday tubulars. I have a pair of Corsa G+ 23mm tubulars for races.

I race long distance, so maybe my position is not as agressive as some short course riders? Maybe I should try to get a little more agressive to see how it feels. I shorten my cranks (170 to 165) this season to get a little more agressive. I think I have room to get lower on the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoodoo wrote:
jens wrote:
Hoodoo wrote:

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers !

:) No, not Tufos, but I rode Gatorskins for these rides. These are my everyday tubulars. I have a pair of Corsa G+ 23mm tubulars for races.

I race long distance, so maybe my position is not as agressive as some short course riders? Maybe I should try to get a little more agressive to see how it feels. I shorten my cranks (170 to 165) this season to get a little more agressive. I think I have room to get lower on the front.

I’m no aweo weenie, but I’m similar weight as you and did 21.5 MPH on 185W at my last 70.3. My guess is definitely some low hanging fruit with your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Hoodoo wrote:
jens wrote:
Hoodoo wrote:

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers !

I’m no aweo weenie, but I’m similar weight as you and did 21.5 MPH on 185W at my last 70.3. My guess is definitely some low hanging fruit with your position.

At IM Lake Placid 2017, I had these numbers:
Power: 205 AP/ 216 NP
Average speed: 20,63 MPH (33,2KMH)
Time: 5:24
Rider's weight: 165lbs
Quote Reply

Prev Next