Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [czechchick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional info. So far, there don't seem to be any field quality audit requests on this issue flowing in to the quality guys...so I'm going to suggest you follow up via your Trek dealer like Jorge did.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl - just a follow up on this. The Trek dealer recommended a "high/far" stem. Is this inadvisable in your opinion? You recommended a medium-near.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommended a medium-near on an XL frame based on your retul sheet. A high far only makes sense on a Large frame...you can't get to your pad position with a high-far on an XL. The Large & high-far is a combination which will work for your coordinates.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Any update on availability of the 2-pack aero for the new speed concept?
Do you think it will be available for this season?

Thanks
Guillermo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, quick question, I measured my existing bike last night and here is what I have. Would love your opinion, I think I have settled on a Large with low/near or low/far...

Pad Stack BB to Pad - 635
Pad Reach BB to center of Pad - 500
Base Bar Stack BB to top of bar - 585
Base Bar Reach BB to brake lever insert - 645

Seat Height - 806

Im not too picky on the Base bar position as the stack could be lower and the reach a little further than what I have now. Thoughts?

I will be placing an order on a 9.8 tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: noxious: Feb 18, 15 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy!

Low-far is better from a pad reach standpoint...it just puts you near the top of that stem's range vs more in the middle on the low-near. @5mm higher on the pads you could go medium-far and get a lot closer to your current basebar position, but since you're not picky and it sounds like your'e OK with down and forward then the low-far sounds like a good start.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sithlord31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I don't hold out much hope anymore...should know more in a week or two.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, a UK retailer is giving a date of 10th July for them:
http://www.evanscycles.com/...aero-secure-ec073523
They were actually showing them as in stock recently, so I ordered one, but then a bit later they said there had been a delay in supply, and the above was the new date.

But they take your money when you place the order, so it would be useful to know if the 10th July date is also pure fiction then I could get a refund and look into another solution for this year. I don't suppose there's any chance you could talk someone into resuming manufacture of the Bontrager aero bottles in the meantime?!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a projected date for availability in your location...nothing more nothing less.

No plans that I know of to resurrect the Bontrager Speed Bottle. Several similar products out there right now that do the job. When Trek Factory Racing (in an earlier incarnation) asked for a recommendation we told them the Elite bottle performed pretty well in the tunnel...less than half the drag of a standard bottle, if memory serves.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
No plans that I know of to resurrect the Bontrager Speed Bottle. Several similar products out there right now that do the job. When Trek Factory Racing (in an earlier incarnation) asked for a recommendation we told them the Elite bottle performed pretty well in the tunnel...less than half the drag of a standard bottle, if memory serves.
I tried 3 x Elite Crono CX for a 100 mile TT last year and was a minute per 25 miles slower than I would normally have expected on that course without them. I think the problem with them is they may be okay from some directions but from other directions I'd say they're extremely poor compared to the old Bontragers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dug up the data we generated for the team, and based on those results @ 3x elite you had the rough equivalent of 1.5 round bottles...in the ballpark of 75g slower on avg from 0-10deg, rider-on. don't have head-to-head data on the elite vs the Bontrager, but looking at older Bontrager vs round (rider-off) I'd say you might be right about its performance.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really understand Trek/Bontrager strategy here.

They advertised the new speed concept with all the "super" accessories like the 2-pack aero since day 1 of production, white papers showing amazing numbers in the wind tunnel, videos describing how fast this thing or the other can make you faster on the road, bla bla bla; and after a year or more, not launching the "super" product, not even telling why or when to the customers, not offering a replacement product, no apologies, nothing...

I love my SC spartacus, but this kind of "small, no issue" things sometimes make me think, does Specialized have any production/marketing/compliance issues or they can keep their word? Maybe I should find out on my next bike.

Just saying...

Guillermo
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sithlord31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you love the bike, Guillermo.

Sorry the 2-pack isn't out there.

It's not a strategy. It's an unfortunate series of events...including, but not limited to: a change in engineering ownership of the part, small features that took a long time to execute properly (on both the design and supplier side), a significant redesign after most of the features were locked down, and more supply chain challenges. All at exactly the wrong times and in exactly the wrong order to satisfy everyone's needs. Been a tough, but good, learning experience in many ways.

When you look for your next bike, a forum search on any given brand name is one way to start. Adding search terms will help narrow down the results to those things you're most concerned about.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Carl wrote:

I tried 3 x Elite Crono CX for a 100 mile TT last year and was a minute per 25 miles slower than I would normally have expected on that course without them. I think the problem with them is they may be okay from some directions but from other directions I'd say they're extremely poor compared to the old Bontragers.

i find comparing aero bottles really hard. I have the chrono arundal and the profile design RZ 2, who knows which is quicker. The only info i am able to source is that for a Trek, the seat tube is supposedly more aero. MAybe Carl can comment on that part.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
low on the ST for an aerobottle...a round one should go on DT

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Can you tell me what the difference is between the 2014 and 2015 SC9.9?
I am debating on either getting a lightly used 2014 SC9.9 Gen 2 or a the new 2015.
Any light on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero difference in the frameset and proprietary parts. Paint and component spec differences can be seen on trekbikes.com...I don't know what those are off the top of my head.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
When you look for your next bike, a forum search on any given brand name is one way to start. Adding search terms will help narrow down the results to those things you're most concerned about.

which... conveniently, will lead you to staying as far away from Specialized as humanly possible ...not a more hated bike company out there (with regard to their "competitive" tactics & market approach toward others in the industry especially) IMO.

well-played Carl, well-played [impressed slow-clap] ;)

love my P1 SC'14 & Trek. Although the 2-pack aero is a disappointment, in all, Trek has never let me down. From my original 820 MTB & 930 Singletrack as a kid, to my super bike as an adult.

-k(id)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Are the SC'14 aero skewers available as replacement parts? My rear skewer should probably be tossed and replaced with a new one. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [k(id)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, rear skewers are:

W329031 for ti

W327470 for steel

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm about to rebuild my old Speed Concept 2.5 that I've been using as a trainer bike with Shimano 105. What type of a bottom bracket will I need? Current a SRAM crank on there. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 2.5 has a 68mm wide, english threaded BB shell...to drop in your existing crank, any GXP BB which fits those specs should work.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, thanks for your participation on this forum.

I am considering a Speed Concept for this season. My recent Retül fit looks like this - what size do you recommend?

saddle height: 760 mm
saddle setback: 7 mm
arm pad stack BB: 647 mm
saddle angle: -3 deg
eff seat tube angle: 81 deg
grip angle: 64 deg
grip width: 61 mm
frame stack: 535 mm
frame reach: 429 mm

handlebar reach: 508 mm
handlebar drop: -146 mm
arm pad reach: 438 mm
arm pad drop: -104 mm
arm pad reach BB: 444 mm
grip reach: 757 mm
grip drop: 41 mm
arm pad to grip reach: 319 mm
bb to grip reach: 763 mm
arm pad width: 181 mm
handlebar stack: 589 mm
handlebar reach: 514 mm

(From what I can work out myself, it looks like a need a size Large with Medium-Far stem and Long extension.)

Again, thanks for your help!

Regards, Povl
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [etheghetuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Povl

Looks like your instincts are right on target for frame and stem. You can run the short ergo extension if you want.

ETA: typo...and a bad one! ruin vs run...oy!

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Feb 24, 15 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
First I've heard of it. I've put in a query to the Quality guys to see if there are reports coming in from other angles (like your shop, for example).

Have to admit, it does seem odd that this would only happen from trainer usage...though in the absence any ride-generated breeze gravity will take your sweat (or products of a leaky bottle or hose/straw) right to the lowest part of the bike, so maybe not all that unusual. There are products to help with that...are you using one? A fan to help keep you dry (and cool) while you are locked in?

More questions to help me get accurate info back to the Quality guys:

The bike has never been out in the rain, or washed? Brand new bearings have been put in and the same thing happened to them? Was the bearing function poor when they were checked or was it OK and just looked really bad?

Carl, I bought the bike in late July last year and used it been outdoors, it was in the rain a few times and used during a races (including Ironman Louisville). I wash the bike often but always dry it with compression air. I am very methodical in taking care of my bikes and I personally greased the bearings every 2-3 months and before the races. I use Park Tool polylube grease for things like bearings, screws, etc. I noticed the first signs of rust right before Louisville back in August no more than 3-4 weeks after I bought the bike. I figured the bearing may been like that to begin or maybe, by mistake, the orange seal ring wasn't on properly so I re-grease it all, place it as well as I could and made sure the cranks were properly installed/tight as indicated torque specifications (with park tool torque wrench).

My friend who posted above (czechchick) got the bike at the very first time and she ode outdoors; she raced Ironman Kona in October and before the trip, I personally checked her bike and is when I noticed she also had some rust on that bearing. I did the same process as with mine (e-grease it all, place it as well as I could and made sure the cranks were properly installed/tight as indicated torque specifications with park tool torque wrench). She also raced Ironman Cozumel in December so I repeated the same process late November and I once again noticed the rust on the left bearing and this time was worst which is one of the pics she posted).

This made me wonder and checked mine as I began to noticed a creaking noise coming from the bottom bracket and it was the same story. The bearings were 'ok' originally function-wise but have deteriorated as the rust has progressed to the point czechchick left one is now unusable (ball bearings creak /inside ring don't turn anymore). And mine, in spite of having replaced with a new one, now is beginning to show rust yet again, and is a matter of time until it starts deteriorating. Acknowledging this may be amplified by the sweat when riding outdoors, we have taken the steps to attempt preventing it (riding with a fan, placing towels on top tube, etc.) and still, if some sweat/water finds it's way in, it continues to rust. But it is tough to fully protect that area. So the problem seems to be the seal for sure and more so when it is happening in 2 bikes of the the very same model and size. It is unrealistic to expect this as a normal issue and replace the bearings often. That's why I wanted to approach you as well to see if Trek has heard of this before and/or have solutions. My local bike store is still waiting a response from Trek.

I hope that helps, thanks!

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply

Prev Next