Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
^Nevermind, I found it.

I can't find it. Can you please share?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
kny wrote:
Same thing with IMMD. What they don't tell you is that you don't have to register for these events to be entered in the lottery. You can just send in a 3x5 card. You know, laws.

Where does one get a 3x5 postcard for mailing?

Any Ironman race or 70.3 has a 3 x 5 for sale in their merchandise tent with MDOT logo for $700 and your first newborn. <pink?>
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
trytri3 wrote:
Next time you run across a lawyer, hug them. Having put on drawings before, you have to provide a way for someone to enter without having to pay as that is considered a barrier for fairness. Yes, you only need to submit a 3x5 card and you could potentially be packing your bags. Two things instantly come to mind:

1. Will an entry that gets submitted by 3x5 card really carry the same "weight" as another person who entered by paying the IM entry fee? Legally they have to but I am a slight conspiracy theorist....

2. If someone actually got a Kona slot by entering a 3x5 card, would they actually admit it on this forum? (pink...but not really)

Yes! 100%. I tried for the lottery for 20 years including 18 straight. If my 3x5 card gets my a slot I will tell everyone!
I want to race in Kona before I die.
John

Have you considered completing 12 x IM's to qualify for the IM Legacy Program?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost signed up for IMMD. Land on Canada thanksgiving which provides a long weekend. Problem is the venue is 1.5 -2 hrs from a major airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Yes! 100%. I tried for the lottery for 20 years including 18 straight. If my 3x5 card gets my a slot I will tell everyone!
I want to race in Kona before I die.
John

True story that won't make you feel better:
In 1996, my buddy The Spook got into Kona on the lottery. I was there in support role, and while at registration, I started scanning the start lists, which they had broken down into ages,country, state etc.

I spot patterns the way other guys spot phoney boobs. I noticed that every state had at least 1 person representing, except...North Dakota.
I tell The Spook, who got in from Mississippi, "I bet IM wants every state represented, but nobody from ND bothered to send in a lottery app."
The next year, he flys to Fargo, opens a P.O. Box, sends in a lottery app...boom. In.
Year after that, doesn't have time to go to ND, enters again from MS...boom. In.
Year after that, flys back to ND...boom. In.

Good times.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I get why nobody is registering for IMMD but what's the deal with Boulder?

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.

maybe that's the impression people have but none of it is true.
The swim is not made more difficult by altitude. It's only 5000ft - swimming at 9000ft is a big deal - 5000ft is not as long as you swim within your ability. Most people coming from sea level don't have a problem with it.

The bike course is great - and is about 100 times more scenic than Arizona (which sells out fast), plus it's a faster bike course.

The run is slow for whatever reason, but the Boulder Creek path is not that uninteresting. There is one out and back section which is boring but the rest is pretty cool. Comparing with Arizona again, the run is significantly more interesting, although maybe 10 mins slower.

So if people want a fast race, this is a good one to sign up for. The swim and bike are probably faster than IMAZ, the run is probably a little slower. But it's a much more scenic and more enjoyable race. I think most people are put off by the altitude but that aspect is not a big deal. The "dryness" is probably more of a legitimate concern than the reduced oxygen

i've done arizona 3x, and would describe that as a pretty flat course; even the outbound uphill grade is pretty mellow. i looked at the boulder profile, and not sure i'd say that it looks to be faster, can you describe why you would surmise that ? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:

i've done arizona 3x, and would describe that as a pretty flat course; even the outbound uphill grade is pretty mellow. i looked at the boulder profile, and not sure i'd say that it looks to be faster, can you describe why you would surmise that ? thanks.

I've done IMAZ twice and I live in Boulder. Boulder is definitely as fast or faster. I've ridden 4:36 at IMAZ, and for the same power my equivalent time in Boulder would be under 4:30. The reasons it's fast:
1) thin air means high speed. On the Neva Rd section at Boulder I can usually ride 36mph without riding very hard (and it's not a downhill). The only place on the IMAZ course where that's likely is down the Beeline, in fact my max speed in 2015 was around 36mph at IMAZ, 44mph in 2014 with a tailwind. At Boulder there are several places where I usually hit 44mph without even trying. Your speed is also sustained quite easily which I think also makes it fast.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's already been covered here somewhere, but Boulder is also only 109 miles and change.

Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Quote:

But where can I get a 3x5 card?

At the Ironman store. $4.95, plus standard shipping of $7.95.

Thanks. I just bought a pack.

did you pick up the pet rock as well from Nordstroms' with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Quote:

But where can I get a 3x5 card?

At the Ironman store. $4.95, plus standard shipping of $7.95.

Thanks. I just bought a pack.

did you pick up the pet rock as well from Nordstroms' with that?

Yes and a
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.

Isn't this about every WTC event?

Challenging swim due to the shear number of people who go out at one time who can't swim very well.
Uninteresting bike because they keep it flat so it doesn't scare people away and they don't sell out.
Uninteresting run for the same reason the bike was boring.

So many threads on here want to know about easy "ironman" races. I can't imagine it being "boring" as the deterrent. Maybe people are just scared of the altitude being too hard..
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I'm sure it's already been covered here somewhere, but Boulder is also only 109 miles and change.

People might not realize that will be 2 ironmans (or one and then one that is short 3 mi on the bike) in a span of 2 months and change....Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting in the rules you have to validate by doing at least a half Ironman, did the old lottery require that? Also interesting it doesn't have to be WTC branded.

"In order to validate and use the prize, the winner must demonstrate, by August 27, 2017, such winner’s personal completion of a triathlon consisting of, at a minimum, a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike ride, and a 13.1-mile run, between October 8, 2016 and August 27, 2017, so as to ensure the health and safety of the winner and all other participants during the course of the IRONMAN® World Championship."
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:

People might not realize that will be 2 ironmans (or one and then one that is short 3 mi on the bike) in a span of 2 months and change....Ouch.

People complete two ironmans in less time than that on a pretty regular basis. They will be fine.

Edit: Also, Boulder is in June and Kona is in October, so I'm not really sure we're on the same page here.
Last edited by: jpk_phx: Dec 15, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Interesting in the rules you have to validate by doing at least a half Ironman, did the old lottery require that? Also interesting it doesn't have to be WTC branded.

"In order to validate and use the prize, the winner must demonstrate, by August 27, 2017, such winner’s personal completion of a triathlon consisting of, at a minimum, a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike ride, and a 13.1-mile run, between October 8, 2016 and August 27, 2017, so as to ensure the health and safety of the winner and all other participants during the course of the IRONMAN® World Championship."

I can only vouch for 2006, but I assume it was the same in most years prior to, and after that.
Yes, the old lottery required a 70.3 validation. Back then, it DID have to be a WTC-branded race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
I think the low attendance is very predictable based on the low population of the region. Anyone who doesn't live in the Denver metro (less than 3 million people) has to fly there. I'd bet that every other ironman has a much larger local population to draw from.

It looks remote on a map, but I think people from the midwest don't realize how easy it is to drive to the Denver area. Once you're west of Topeka KS or Lincoln, NE, you can pretty much cruise at +/- 85 mph in light traffic. Compared to traveling in more densely popluated areas, you can really put some miles under you in a relatively short period of time. It's a fairly easy day's drive from Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Des Moines, Omaha,Wichita, or Kansas City. If you have any sort of driving stamina, Denver Metro is reachable in a long day's drive from Chicago, Milwaukee, St Louis, Minneapolis, Dallas, or even Indy. We live in East Central IL, only 2 hours west of Indy, and vacation some summers in the Dillon/Breckenridge area, about an hour and a half west of Denver. We leave at about 5 in the morning, and typically land at the condo well in time to enjoy watching the sun set over the mountains on the far side lake Dillon.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 15, 16 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone here actually been persuaded to register for Boulder because of this, whereas you otherwise would not have (or would not have registered until much later)?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
CP78 wrote:

I can only vouch for 2006, but I assume it was the same in most years prior to, and after that.
Yes, the old lottery required a 70.3 validation. Back then, it DID have to be a WTC-branded race.

Yep, in 2006, it had to be an official 70.3. Before WTC launched the 70.3 brand, I'm not sure if you had to validate, but I think so. In 2007, it went to being just any 70.3 distance, no longer needed to be IM brand.

I got in via lottery in 2006, and had to validate via Buffalo Springs 70.3 ( Lubbock, TX ) as that was one of the only ones still open! ( WTC had not yet bought out Spirit of Racine 1/2, which I was already signed up for ).

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
cestmoi wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:

People complete two ironmans in less time than that on a pretty regular basis. They will be fine.

Edit: Also, Boulder is in June and Kona is in October, so I'm not really sure we're on the same page here.

Yep - you;re correct...the WTC's playing the shell game with races and dates....Boulder used to be in early August...now its June. IMCDA used to be in June, now its August....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had the same rules for the entry into the 70.3 Worlds by registering for IM Maryland (no purchase necessary), but if you watch the FB videos of the live announcements, it's stated numerous times that you have to be registered for Ironman Maryland to be eligible for the free slot. Maybe they're just trying to pump the race and not give away the "fine print", but I get the impression that the winners are registered for the race. Is there any way to check? I didn't see an entrants list.
Last edited by: mstange22: Dec 15, 16 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ask if there is any way to check if the winners of the Kona slots registered for Boulder.

Yes, you can mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to WTC by Jan 31 to get a list of the winners of the slots. Then, when the competitors list for Boulder is published online, you can check to see who among the slot winners also registered for Boulder.

My great confusion about the no-fee entry for the Kona drawing was whether the Post Office would correctly handle a 3x5 card that is stamped and dropped in the mail. I put it in an envelope, hope that doesn't DQ my entry.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Dec 15, 16 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm asking if there's a way to check to see if the winners of the 70.3 Worlds slots that have been announced on the IM Maryland Facebook page are registered for the race. I didn't see an entrants list posted yet for Maryland. If all 10 of the winners are registered for the race, then I would think there's a pretty good chance that they're not considering any entries that were mailed in "without purchase".
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I think having an athlete hit and killed on the bike course is bad for business.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That took the race off my list, but I'm not sure what percentage of potential registrants outside the local area even heard about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
That took the race off my list, but I'm not sure what percentage of potential registrants outside the local area even heard about it.

Certainly took the 140.6 off my list, but also the 70.3. From LA and have a few friends doing it, decided not to due to bike course issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next