Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See 5(b):

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/87268916f5c64007a977a9c4b9d5d2ca/official%20rules%20%20%202017%20ironman%20wc%20race%20entry%20drawing%20boulder.pdf

This makes it legal. No actual purchase necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I get why nobody is registering for IMMD but what's the deal with Boulder?

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.

Yeah. I live in Boulder and love it here but that race looks awful to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couldn't agree more Rob. I PR'ed my swim at Boulder. Yes it is murky but so is Arizona and everyone raves about it. The bike is faster than AZ in my experience as well. The run is also more enjoyable as there seems to be fans cheering in a lot of places and near the finish that narrow path with fans cheering is pretty cool. Altittude was not a problem as I just backed off the bike a little and my numbers were still faster due to the thinner air. The paved roads for the bike are pretty darn smooth too. I dont really care about views except for the run because I dont have time to take a gander while riding, to busy keeping my eye out to be safe. Santa Cruz takes the cake on views during the run anyways :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been to Idaho?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04 wrote:
Santa Cruz takes the cake on views during the run anyways :)

Yeah both Cliff Drive and Natural Bridges would take a lot to beat scenery wise!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Fleck wrote:
Isn't Boulder one the supposed epicenters of the tri world here in the USA? By virtue of that it should do fine, right? Look at the Austin 70.3. You can't find a shitter race than that, certainly not the best of Austin, and that f'n race keeps humming along with 2500+ racers each year.

There complex reasons that make a race/event a success of the short to mid-term. Just because Boulder is one of those training-mecca's, it would seem intuitive, that this would be a race that would be VERY popular. But as I hinted at, what seems intuitive and logical, up-front, does not always work out well in the end.

Look at events like the Boston and NYC Marathons. If another race put participants through what you have to go through to get to the starting line of Boston or New York - they would call it poor customer service and participant abuse - but when you are Boston or New York you can get away with certain things.

Agree 100%. I have run both of these races and the logistics made these a one and done for me - especially NYC. Will never run it again - just not worth the hassle. I look for similar simplicity in IM races. I don't want multiple transition areas and being shuttled to and fro.

I agree, doing Boston once was all I needed. Do not need to do NYC, which after what they did to folks when it was cancelled, I would never do that race out of principal..

What part of the NYC cancellation procedures did you have a problem with? I was in the race that year and had actually flown all the way to NYC before they made the announcement. Seeing the city after the hurricane, I still didn't have a problem with the decision. I ran my marathon in Central Park that day and had a great time, then went back for the race the following year. It was fine.

The decision could have, and should have been made much earlier so folks could not have had to fly there, to only find out because of the political pressure, they canceled.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree but it was ultimately the right decision, and the compensation options they offered were fair. I've run the race twice since then and will go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it should have been sooner. I was in the Orlando terminal about to board the plane. I was happy with the refund and Southwest even gave me a year to use the flight. They even sent me the race medal so I have a cool conversation piece for the only time in the history of the race it was canceled. Goes with my luck.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
I agree it should have been sooner. I was in the Orlando terminal about to board the plane. I was happy with the refund and Southwest even gave me a year to use the flight. They even sent me the race medal so I have a cool conversation piece for the only time in the history of the race it was canceled. Goes with my luck.

I wonder if those poor folks we flew over from Australia got all the costs they had recovered? Lost wages, time, etc.

Again, we all get to elect where we spend our time and money. I just see they costed a lot of folks time and money just so many were forced to spend their
money in hotels. Just my opinion.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As kny pointed out, this is simply bringing back the lottery. As far as I've noticed, they have done lotteries for 10 slots for 2016 and this new 10 slots for 2017 (for Kona) which is far short of the 100 they used to give away so we should see this as a good thing if they keep these limited to 10 here and there without going close to 100.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
alien wrote:

I wonder if those poor folks we flew over from Australia got all the costs they had recovered? Lost wages, time, etc.

Again, we all get to elect where we spend our time and money. I just see they costed a lot of folks time and money just so many were forced to spend their
money in hotels. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to keep hijacking this thread, but tough shit, man. Me and a lot of other "poor folks" from all over had to spend a lot of vacation time and money when Tahoe was cancelled at the last minute too. That's life. There are worse places to spend vacation time and money with no race than NYC (and Tahoe). I'll just add that it was a beautiful weekend in NYC after that race was cancelled. I had a great time doing stuff other than the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
Can't believe this isn't being talked about. WTC giving away 10 slots to Kona just to get people to sign up for IMBoulder.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2016/12/ironman-boulder-contest.aspx#axzz4ry4rtllr

Tells me they are having a hard time filling this race. But this time they did their homework; you don't have to actually register to get in the Kona drawing, you can just send in a 3x5 card.

So what is the deal? Can I send in 3x5 card. What would theoretically happen if I 'won' an entry.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Quote:

But where can I get a 3x5 card?

At the Ironman store. $4.95, plus standard shipping of $7.95.

your discounted price above (from WTC or whatever they call themselves today) almost made me wanna send for them now, before they sell out of 3x5 cards :-|

I should just buy extra cards - kona? who cares about that? I want those cards.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Have you been to Idaho?

I instantly thought the same thing. But you do have all of say, Montana to draw from for CDA (no nasty comments about MT please), I love the place, really. But, not exactly a zillion tri-geeks there.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.

maybe that's the impression people have but none of it is true.
The swim is not made more difficult by altitude. It's only 5000ft - swimming at 9000ft is a big deal - 5000ft is not as long as you swim within your ability. Most people coming from sea level don't have a problem with it.

The bike course is great - and is about 100 times more scenic than Arizona (which sells out fast), plus it's a faster bike course.

The run is slow for whatever reason, but the Boulder Creek path is not that uninteresting. There is one out and back section which is boring but the rest is pretty cool. Comparing with Arizona again, the run is significantly more interesting, although maybe 10 mins slower.

So if people want a fast race, this is a good one to sign up for. The swim and bike are probably faster than IMAZ, the run is probably a little slower. But it's a much more scenic and more enjoyable race. I think most people are put off by the altitude but that aspect is not a big deal. The "dryness" is probably more of a legitimate concern than the reduced oxygen

All this really just makes me want to do IMAZ even less (if such a thing were possible) rather than to want to do Boulder more. The boulder course isn't awful, but it just seems like a missed opportunity to me. I'm semi-local and and there just are too many far prettier and less crowded places I can go and spend a day outside for free. For out of towners, I just don't think it highlights the best of what CO has to offer (though it might print a pretty accurate picture of what life is like in much of the front rage, i.e. congested and expensive).

While I think there are plenty of even more lackluster venues than Boulder they tend to be adjacent to larger population centers. You have 20+ million people in SoCal for whom IMAZ is driveable, 6 million+ in the Houston metro alone to put up with IMTX.

If we aren't going to be able to draw on locals to fill most of the slots, I think you could in theory put together a far more scenic and memorable venue in Colorado. I say 'in theory' of course because that would most likely involve heading up higher which means harder/slower. I think WTC has learned their lesson already on how their consumer base of super-duper-ironman athletes responds to a proper challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah - the 106west tri is very much a CO experience race but at 9000+ ft, might be too diabolical for most people!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time you run across a lawyer, hug them. Having put on drawings before, you have to provide a way for someone to enter without having to pay as that is considered a barrier for fairness. Yes, you only need to submit a 3x5 card and you could potentially be packing your bags. Two things instantly come to mind:

1. Will an entry that gets submitted by 3x5 card really carry the same "weight" as another person who entered by paying the IM entry fee? Legally they have to but I am a slight conspiracy theorist....

2. If someone actually got a Kona slot by entering a 3x5 card, would they actually admit it on this forum? (pink...but not really)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytri3 wrote:
Next time you run across a lawyer, hug them. Having put on drawings before, you have to provide a way for someone to enter without having to pay as that is considered a barrier for fairness. Yes, you only need to submit a 3x5 card and you could potentially be packing your bags. Two things instantly come to mind:

1. Will an entry that gets submitted by 3x5 card really carry the same "weight" as another person who entered by paying the IM entry fee? Legally they have to but I am a slight conspiracy theorist....

2. If someone actually got a Kona slot by entering a 3x5 card, would they actually admit it on this forum? (pink...but not really)

Yes! 100%. I tried for the lottery for 20 years including 18 straight. If my 3x5 card gets my a slot I will tell everyone!
I want to race in Kona before I die.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Ummm, I think all persons not in the active military or Reserves/Guard, or the retired Reserve/Guard, are considered "civilians". Just b/c you're doing an iron race does not put you in the military. You might say "non-racers" instead.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Boulder = The Course really SUCKS ! my 2 Cents, Was there for the Inaugural Race as a Volunteer.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Ummm, I think all persons not in the active military or Reserves/Guard, or the retired Reserve/Guard, are considered "civilians". Just b/c you're doing an iron race does not put you in the military. You might say "non-racers" instead.

Really? Do you honestly think anyone didn't understand what he meant by civilians.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Really? Do you honestly think anyone didn't understand what he meant by civilians.

Damn, I was hoping there'd be tanks and shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I'm sure everyone understood what he meant but that is not the point. The point is that just cause you are an "Ironman" does not mean you're a military man. Too many people trying to pretend like they're in the service, or have been, when in reality they have not been in ever. That is all.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spectated last year. I happened to be on vacation in Dillon. I will do it in 2017. Looks incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new date of June 11th can't be helping with registration, at least for anyone local. Last year it snowed well into May, and, consequently, access to open water swimming typically doesn't start until mid to late May. Seriously, who wants to train all winter only to peak for an Ironman just as summer is beginning?
Quote Reply

Prev Next