Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder
Quote | Reply
Can't believe this isn't being talked about. WTC giving away 10 slots to Kona just to get people to sign up for IMBoulder.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2016/12/ironman-boulder-contest.aspx#axzz4ry4rtllr

Tells me they are having a hard time filling this race. But this time they did their homework; you don't have to actually register to get in the Kona drawing, you can just send in a 3x5 card.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing with IMMD. What they don't tell you is that you don't have to register for these events to be entered in the lottery. You can just send in a 3x5 card. You know, laws.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get why nobody is registering for IMMD but what's the deal with Boulder?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Same thing with IMMD. What they don't tell you is that you don't have to register for these events to be entered in the lottery. You can just send in a 3x5 card. You know, laws.

Where does one get a 3x5 postcard for mailing?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No purchase necessary, detail inside :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

There have been a few threads about the course: swim- challenging due to altitude, uninteresting bike = no climbs, no scenery, uninteresting run = concrete on a multi-use path with a bunch of civilians. Not the best of Boulder. WTC even advertised IM Boulder on their Kona broadcast.

Isn't Boulder one the supposed epicenters of the tri world here in the USA? By virtue of that it should do fine, right? Look at the Austin 70.3. You can't find a shittier race than that, certainly not the best of Austin, and that f'n race keeps humming along with 2500+ racers each year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 12, 16 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

maybe that's the impression people have but none of it is true.
The swim is not made more difficult by altitude. It's only 5000ft - swimming at 9000ft is a big deal - 5000ft is not as long as you swim within your ability. Most people coming from sea level don't have a problem with it.

The bike course is great - and is about 100 times more scenic than Arizona (which sells out fast), plus it's a faster bike course.

The run is slow for whatever reason, but the Boulder Creek path is not that uninteresting. There is one out and back section which is boring but the rest is pretty cool. Comparing with Arizona again, the run is significantly more interesting, although maybe 10 mins slower.

So if people want a fast race, this is a good one to sign up for. The swim and bike are probably faster than IMAZ, the run is probably a little slower. But it's a much more scenic and more enjoyable race. I think most people are put off by the altitude but that aspect is not a big deal. The "dryness" is probably more of a legitimate concern than the reduced oxygen

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
No purchase necessary, detail inside :)

But where can I get a 3x5 card?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This supports what I have been hearing, they are hurting because their races are not filling up

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Boulder one the supposed epicenters of the tri world here in the USA? By virtue of that it should do fine, right? Look at the Austin 70.3. You can't find a shitter race than that, certainly not the best of Austin, and that f'n race keeps humming along with 2500+ racers each year.

There complex reasons that make a race/event a success of the short to mid-term. Just because Boulder is one of those training-mecca's, it would seem intuitive, that this would be a race that would be VERY popular. But as I hinted at, what seems intuitive and logical, up-front, does not always work out well in the end.

Look at events like the Boston and NYC Marathons. If another race put participants through what you have to go through to get to the starting line of Boston or New York - they would call it poor customer service and participant abuse - but when you are Boston or New York you can get away with certain things.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess they found some room on the pier.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Isn't Boulder one the supposed epicenters of the tri world here in the USA? By virtue of that it should do fine, right? Look at the Austin 70.3. You can't find a shitter race than that, certainly not the best of Austin, and that f'n race keeps humming along with 2500+ racers each year.

There complex reasons that make a race/event a success of the short to mid-term. Just because Boulder is one of those training-mecca's, it would seem intuitive, that this would be a race that would be VERY popular. But as I hinted at, what seems intuitive and logical, up-front, does not always work out well in the end.

Look at events like the Boston and NYC Marathons. If another race put participants through what you have to go through to get to the starting line of Boston or New York - they would call it poor customer service and participant abuse - but when you are Boston or New York you can get away with certain things.

Agree 100%. I have run both of these races and the logistics made these a one and done for me - especially NYC. Will never run it again - just not worth the hassle. I look for similar simplicity in IM races. I don't want multiple transition areas and being shuttled to and fro.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

The Maryland giveaway was for the 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga. That doesn't give me as much heartburn as free Kona slots just for registering.

Edit: not free in the sense that you don't have to pay for it, free in the sense that you didn't do anything except sign up for Boulder.
Last edited by: jpk_phx: Dec 12, 16 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
kny wrote:

The Maryland giveaway was for the 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga. That doesn't give me as much heartburn as free Kona slots just for registering.

Oops. My bad. If it makes you sleep better, just think of it as a resurrection of the Kona lottery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Agree 100%. I have run both of these races and the logistics made these a one and done for me - especially NYC. Will never run it again - just not worth the hassle. I look for similar simplicity in IM races. I don't want multiple transition areas and being shuttled to and fro.

I agree, doing Boston once was all I needed. Do not need to do NYC, which after what they did to folks when it was cancelled, I would never do that race out of principal..

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Fleck wrote:

I agree, doing Boston once was all I needed. Do not need to do NYC, which after what they did to folks when it was cancelled, I would never do that race out of principal..

What part of the NYC cancellation procedures did you have a problem with? I was in the race that year and had actually flown all the way to NYC before they made the announcement. Seeing the city after the hurricane, I still didn't have a problem with the decision. I ran my marathon in Central Park that day and had a great time, then went back for the race the following year. It was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

No pro race!! Pink? Maybe? Maybe not.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

At the Ironman store. $4.95, plus standard shipping of $7.95.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

No pro race!! Pink? Maybe? Maybe not.

No need for pink. There is a pro race at Boulder this year. Though I don't think that it means that much to many, I am starting to wonder if having a pro race at a WTC event draws a few more entries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Quote:

At the Ironman store. $4.95, plus standard shipping of $7.95.

Thanks. I just bought a pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome...next thing you know all the IM Sheeple will feel compelled to laser off their M-Dot tatoos ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the low attendance is very predictable based on the low population of the region. Anyone who doesn't live in the Denver metro (less than 3 million people) has to fly there. I'd bet that every other ironman has a much larger local population to draw from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
But this time they did their homework; you don't have to actually register to get in the Kona drawing, you can just send in a 3x5 card.

Are you joking or can you really enter just by sending in a card? If so, can you share the link to the card?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona slots being given away just for registering for IMBoulder [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^Nevermind, I found it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next