Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [roadbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roadbiker wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

They may be fudging a few of the numbers. Based off of this picture from the other thread, the climbers jersey claims to save you some watts, but that thing is the most un-aerodynamic piece of bike clothing I've ever owned.

There must be something wrong with your sizing/fitting. ;)
I do own two Climber's Jerseys and they are definitely the best fitting/tight jerseys of the Castelli 2013 collection.
No flapping (at arms, shoulders, back ...) at all.
To me it's Castelli's best jersey ever so far. For me it fits even better than this year's Aero Race 4.0 jersey.
Curious how the new Aero Race 5.0 Jersey will perform/fit.

The Climber's Jersey is definitely more aero than the Team Jersey, but roadbiker brings up a good point: if it doesn't fit then everything goes out the window. Fit is more important than the cut and textures. Most people buy their clothing too big.
I've been riding the Aero Race 5.0 Jersey since May. It's the first jersey I've been in since the original Aero Race where you can actually perceive the increased speed. My favorite jersey at the moment, though it doesn't let as much air flow as the Climber's so it kind of tops out at 85F/30C although it has great wicking.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radelj44 wrote:

Look at someone like Tom Gerlach (sp?)... he made a homemade disc wheel and used it for years. It may have been a couple watts slower than a wheelbuilder cover but his was what? CHEAPER!! And still very effective!

Off topic, but fwiw I rode that disc to the 4:15:57 at IMFL. I saw 25 guys or so fall off the pace at some point on that bike ride and I never felt like it was slowing me down. When I visited John Cobb in the spring I asked him about it. He had me spin it up to speed and used his visual aero eye and then he also felt the airflow coming off it and said a couple of things. One thing he said is it wasn't any slower than any other disc out there. But he also said most discs are pretty much the same which I took to mean you can't innovate much there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roadbiker wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

They may be fudging a few of the numbers. Based off of this picture from the other thread, the climbers jersey claims to save you some watts, but that thing is the most un-aerodynamic piece of bike clothing I've ever owned.

There must be something wrong with your sizing/fitting. ;)
I do own two Climber's Jerseys and they are definitely the best fitting/tight jerseys of the Castelli 2013 collection.
No flapping (at arms, shoulders, back ...) at all.
To me it's Castelli's best jersey ever so far. For me it fits even better than this year's Aero Race 4.0 jersey.
Curious how the new Aero Race 5.0 Jersey will perform/fit.

Really? I'm on the smaller side, so maybe they are just switching over to the "American" small. There's too much material on the stomach and it'll bunch on me. It'll also wrinkle up the sides and the collar and sleeves have stretched to a point where they scoop air. I do like it, and it's great on hot days. How does the Aero Race compare?

Thus is what it does on me

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Castelli and Pearl Izumi pay attention to the little details that make all the difference. That and choosing the right fabric for the job. I'll shout it from the mountain tops...bang for your buck, that T1 top is probably the best thing going right now as long as it fits you correctly.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@oceanlife - yep that Climbers' is at least a full size too big.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I said in another thread. Why should anyone else show up then? Then SD hemmed about race tactics blah blah. So I take the 12' with a big grain of marketing salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Absolutely. Castelli and Pearl Izumi pay attention to the little details that make all the difference. That and choosing the right fabric for the job. I'll shout it from the mountain tops...bang for your buck, that T1 top is probably the best thing going right now as long as it fits you correctly.

Here's a question; of the products listed below, they are all textured; if they fit tight how much am I losing to the T1 due to the half zip?

http://shop.craftsports.us/radioshack-leopard-trek-elite-aero-ss-jersey.html

http://shop.craftsports.us/elite-bike-attack-jersey-mens.html

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/618/

There are other products I could list but I can get the answer from these. The only real difference (from what I can tell) is the zipper length, the length of the sleeves and pockets in the back.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Smitty1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam at the pier this morning then attempted to get into the Stealth T1 with a wet upper body once I'd removed my swimskin. Very very difficult, meshy arms got stuck and it bunched up under my armpits. That little test has put me off. Might be ok if I had a towel in my bike bag to fully dry off out of the water.

Matt Harrop
http://www.matt-harroptriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that Jersey is at least one if not two sizes too big. The whole point of a racing jersey is that it is skin tight, not flapping in the wind.

No wonder why it feels slow :)

I think a lot of people would save a suprising number of watts by just downsizing their race suit.

Quote | Reply
Heather Wurtele (and likely other saucony athletes?) have one piece suits where the Castelli is a top ... Much like Marino last year the suit will be folded down in the swimming speed suit then pulled up / on after the swim (easy enough to do while moving to the bike)

NOTE - I believe it is a champion system product

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Oct 10, 13 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannastar wrote:
Yeah that Jersey is at least one if not two sizes too big. The whole point of a racing jersey is that it is skin tight, not flapping in the wind.

No wonder why it feels slow :)

I think a lot of people would save a suprising number of watts by just downsizing their race suit.

I guess I was wrong on the fit then. Bummer, that's their smallest size.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Heather Wurtele (and likely other saucony athletes?) have one piece suits where the Castelli is a top ... Much like Marion last year the suit will be folded down in the swimming speed suit then pulled up / on after the swim (easy enough to do while moving to the bike)

NOTE - I believe it is a champion system product

I spoke with T Wurtele about his 2 piece kit months ago and asked him what company made it. He told me Saucony takes their input and makes the products... I honestly call bullshit on that but take it how you will. I believe you over T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only tested a few things, but the textured fabric (think zipp wheel dimples but on cloth) seemed to be better than very "slick" or shiny fabric

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take a look at Heathers one piece suit and I bet you find CS zipper tag hanging from it. (there were pictures earlier in the week on triathelete that you may be able to see) Now i don't know about their two piece kits and who makes them ... could be anyone they sub contract.

Marino had a LG suit last year I believe

Cheers,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Oct 10, 13 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have an opinion on the Aeroness of the Desoto Skin cooler long sleeve?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marino V had a custom made BioRacer suit that's starts at about $1200 or so per suit. Its extremely fast and breathable!!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Marino V had a custom made BioRacer suit that's starts at about $1200 or so per suit. Its extremely fast and breathable!!

This is a good point... if you're going to drop $300 on a top just for the bike, why not $1200 on a suit for both the bike and run? Is that excessive?

Really, this just makes me want to point out one very important thing that not many people know. ERO, great place and can't say enough good things about them, is a start up and do NOT test "everything". They test everything that people bring to them. With that said, they are hyping this Castelli top because that is the best thing they have tested, not because it's the best thing tested across the entire market of tri clothing. I spoke with ERO and considered going in to get tested (since it's just down the street from me) and at $800, I had to bring everything I wanted to test. They didn't have anything for me to try out.

I wanted to point this out so everyone doesn't read this thread and think, "this Castelli top is the greatest thing and the only thing". It may just be the greatest thing but we really don't know that until literally everything is tested.... just saying.

EDIT: For example: they talked up the new XLabs Torpedo system (and for good reason, it's fast) but then tested the Torhans Aero 30 and it tested faster. So for a month or two everyone thought the XLabs system was the fastest thing available, now we're told otherwise.
Last edited by: radelj44: Oct 10, 13 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
Looking back over the article where she was set up by Matt Steimetz here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...elt_IA_fit_3922.html

I am curious as to where those 7cm come from. It looks possible, just not clear exactly what changes from the photos provided. Can you clarify?

Stem stack spacer and bar pad.

Consumers won't use Profile bars, they'll use Felt IA bars.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Full Skin Suits in Kona? Like this? From IMH '93.

Everything old is new again! :)

Yup, lots of examples:

Thunderbear from '08

Tinley in '85

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tinley really was way ahead of things.

Love that pic.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowie spoke at the Ironman Sports Medicine conference on Sunday and mentioned that he's going to be racing in a long sleeve suit.

Jim@EROsports wrote:
Depends on the suit, how it fits, material used, etc. I would say more than 3 but less than 6. That's one hell of a deal considering the price.

I don't know what Rinny is using. Amongst the favorites, we helped with Crowie, Leanda, Luke, and Rachael Joyce. The last two are also fit clients. There are several other elites and age-groupers racing we worked with on both fit and aero testing that will likely use long sleeves. From the above list, I'm not sure either Crowie or Rachael will wear sleeves. It's all about what they're comfortable with on race day. I suspect a few tops will be left in transition if, for instance, an athlete has a worse than expected swim time. They won't want to give up extra time.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Larbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, crowie is all growns up. This was the guy that rode an Orbea and wore a road helmet

Larbot wrote:
Crowie spoke at the Ironman Sports Medicine conference on Sunday and mentioned that he's going to be racing in a long sleeve suit.

Jim@EROsports wrote:
Depends on the suit, how it fits, material used, etc. I would say more than 3 but less than 6. That's one hell of a deal considering the price.

I don't know what Rinny is using. Amongst the favorites, we helped with Crowie, Leanda, Luke, and Rachael Joyce. The last two are also fit clients. There are several other elites and age-groupers racing we worked with on both fit and aero testing that will likely use long sleeves. From the above list, I'm not sure either Crowie or Rachael will wear sleeves. It's all about what they're comfortable with on race day. I suspect a few tops will be left in transition if, for instance, an athlete has a worse than expected swim time. They won't want to give up extra time.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aero testing performed by ERO Sports is a great bit of testing. And yes our Torpedo System was one of the fastest that was tested. We have had 3 athletes up there already! Having said this I think it is good to get both aero testing and wind tunnel testing results and look at both in order to come to a conclusion of which product is faster.

That is my opinion, but I did find it fascinating to see the differences in results for the clothing that they tested.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Castelli put a gallery online with some customized Stealth Tops and also some age groupers wearing it:
https://www.facebook.com/...039733170&type=3

Any first hand experience from athletes who wore it for the Kona race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore the top (AG Female, 5:14 bike split). Loved it and thought it was perfect for the conditions.

A bit challenging to get on in T1, but with a quick towel dry and some helpful volunteers, it was fine. Probably an extra minute in transition.

No real proof that it helped aerodynamically, but it was snug and did not flap around. It also kept the sun off my shoulders and I am sunburn free today, just needed a bit of sunscreen on my forearms. Did not find it hot or uncomfortable at all, but chose not to run in it (sports bra + run shorts).

Overall, a recommended product.
Last edited by: lostinT2: Oct 13, 13 22:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next