Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!!
Quote | Reply
Looks like she's wearing the new Body Paint San Remo Tri Suit SS....

this is my second post pointing out the new skin suits in use at Kona. Rinny wearing one makes me think TO will wear one along with anyone sponsored by Castelli. This seems like the growing trend. Luke McKenzie is wearing one, Heather Wurtele is wearing one and that's just who I know of already.

Gonna be A LOT of sleeves on Saturday and, IMO, I freaking love it! I've never liked tanks. Now we just need some hot colors!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've picked up a Castelli Stealth T1 top, rode it this morning, and I'm planning to roll it on race day. Feels cool against the shoulders when doused with water and shouldn't be too hard to get on in T1 and off in T2.

Fairly sure TO and Rinny are just running the Stealth T1 top, not a full skinsuit.

Matt Harrop
http://www.matt-harroptriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [mattharrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattharrop wrote:
I've picked up a Castelli Stealth T1 top, rode it this morning, and I'm planning to roll it on race day. Feels cool against the shoulders when doused with water and shouldn't be too hard to get on in T1 and off in T2.

Fairly sure TO and Rinny are just running the Stealth T1 top, not a full skinsuit.

You're right. After posting I realized my mistake. They aren't wearing the full T1 though; theirs stops at the elbow (which is where my confusion stemmed).. unless Castelli decided to cut it shorter after the reveal at Eurobike... I did see they were handing them out to racers in Kona (was yours free?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost looks like a full suit. Regardless, in my uneducated opinion that bike fit doesn't look very fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine stops at the elbow as well, and yes it was free.

Matt Harrop
http://www.matt-harroptriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oceanlife wrote:
Almost looks like a full suit. Regardless, in my uneducated opinion that bike fit doesn't look very fast.

She's always looked upright to me. She's on 700c wheels on the new IA, so maybe that is affecting her position? But I thought she looked like that on the DA w/ 650c, too. Maybe it's something to do w/ being a runner first? Or super short? Or so small she's pretty aero no matter what?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [mattharrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we can't all get things free (lucky bastard) but some can buy cheaper ;)
http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Mens-Techfit-Powerweb-Short-Sleeve/dp/B003R4ZMEA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks hot, like in sweating hot.

Wonder how it will effect her running motion. Looks uncomfortable to me
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
She's always looked upright to me. She's on 700c wheels on the new IA, so maybe that is affecting her position? But I thought she looked like that on the DA w/ 650c, too. Maybe it's something to do w/ being a runner first? Or super short? Or so small she's pretty aero no matter what?

She looked a little better on the DA. Not that it matters, since it's not preventing her from winning.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [The Phoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Phoenix wrote:
Looks hot, like in sweating hot.

Wonder how it will effect her running motion. Looks uncomfortable to me

They say to put it on in T1, take it off in T2 and wear your "suit" under it on the bike. Soooo, not sure what she's doing but that's what they advertise.

Personally, I'm going to buy a $45 Nike/Adidas/Under Armour compression long sleeve top and just keep dumping water on my shirt. It's super cold and much comfier than any tri top (on the bike or run)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that she has gone to the catlike helmets from the LG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh really damn. Is there some time savings with the skin suit @ 112 miles on bike compared to time to put it on and take it off?

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Interesting that she has gone to the catlike helmets from the LG.
I'm guessing that's just a matter of sponsorship dollars.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Phoenix wrote:
Oh really damn. Is there some time savings with the skin suit @ 112 miles on bike compared to time to put it on and take it off?

thx

There is nothing advertised as to what power savings it gives but in the past, full skin suits have shown to save 5 watts. With that said, Castelli has said that the elbow length version is 2/3rds as fast as the full sleeve version (but again, no data on the full sleeve version)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 watts is 5 watts especially at the pointy end of the spectrum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
radelj44 wrote:
The Phoenix wrote:

thx

There is nothing advertised as to what power savings it gives but in the past, full skin suits have shown to save 5 watts. With that said, Castelli has said that the elbow length version is 2/3rds as fast as the full sleeve version (but again, no data on the full sleeve version)

Read through this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

And then everyone run out and buy a PI Octane or Castelli Stealth top.

The guys at ERO are really awesome about sharing some very cool insights.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zactly

a watt is a watt is a watt
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
radelj44 wrote:
The Phoenix wrote:

thx

Read through this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

And then everyone run out and buy a PI Octane or Castelli Stealth top.

The guys at ERO are really awesome about sharing some very cool insights.

I wish there was a better definition to what's "textured". Jackmott said a full sleeve very tight Under Armour compression top is a great Skinsuit in a pinch... is that textured?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you can make that assumption. Since different materials tend to test so much better than others. I guess we can assume it would be faster than skin - "skin is slow". But without tunnel and/or the type of testing ERO does, its hard to tell.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I'm not sure you can make that assumption. Since different materials tend to test so much better than others. I guess we can assume it would be faster than skin - "skin is slow". But without tunnel and/or the type of testing ERO does, its hard to tell.

Completely agree with you... however; there is 0, and I mean ZERO, chance that I'm going to go out and drop $300 on the PI Octane or $200+ on the Castelli top. However, I will drop $50 on a tight non tri specific top. With that fact, I'd like to buy the closest option which it sounds comes down to texture. Knowing what he means by that, I could figure it out myself.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter. I'm going to get the longest "short" sleeve version (closest to elbow) available and what's most comfortable... that'll make me the "fastest"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
radelj44 wrote:

I wish there was a better definition to what's "textured". Jackmott said a full sleeve very tight Under Armour compression top is a great Skinsuit in a pinch... is that textured?

The Pearl suit has almost a "waffle" texture to it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
radelj44 wrote:

The Pearl suit has almost a "waffle" texture to it.

I noticed (as does my sleeveless Squadra elite top... which is what they put on their skinsuit)... but other skinsuits do not have that.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

The position has nothing to do with the 700c wheels. The front end of her IA could be ~7cm lower than the set up in the photo.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume she is planning on putting this n after the swim as it is not swim legal in Kona.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Gear: Mirinda/Luke... SKIN SUITS!! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I assume she is planning on putting this n after the swim as it is not swim legal in Kona.

So would the added time in transition burn up the time saved by wearing it? Or will that not matter if every pro shows up with a kin suit...
Quote Reply

Prev Next