Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I have no idea how they are calculated but if two guys do a 60 minute 40 km ride, one dead flat and one up a 5% grade. Assuming both are the same weight and same FTP wouldn't ones IF and TSS be higher?

Given those assumptions the guy who went up the 5% grade would have to put out more power for that 60 minutes, so yes his TSS and IF would be higher.

more info:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ng-stress-score.aspx

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now you're question begging.

NordicSkier wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:
isn't he creating a strawman?

Yes, I am. My bad. Eneko is irrelevant to this thread.

I'll start a thread titled "How can Eneko possibly run so fast without a powermeter? Impossible!"

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatteLatte wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Unless something has changed, I believe Eneko Llanos, the winner, does not race with a power meter.

Edit: Run 2:43. SICK!

So.... what conclusions can we draw from that?

In terms of equipment selection based on racers' strengths, a guy who expects to be first out of the water and leading some or potentially all of the bike comes prepared to monitor his numbers.

A guy who is pretty sure he's going to be chasing from behind after the swim and riding solo/driving a train sees the benefit comes prepared to monitor his numbers.

A guy who knows he can swim first pack and is one of the fastest runners in the field and intends to ride with the lead pack for the whole bike ride maybe doesn't feel like he needs to be glued to a powermeter, just in the flow with the lead guys?

I think that's pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Ohh!
No, climbing is not part of IF/TSS at all.
Only power and the athlete's FTP

styrrell wrote:

I'm kidding in the sense that their computer reported vastly different amounts of climbing. I'm assuming the amount of climbing is used in calculations for things like IF and TSS, so comparing them is difficult in this case.

I have no idea how they are calculated but if two guys do a 60 minute 40 km ride, one dead flat and one up a 5% grade. Assuming both are the same weight and same FTP wouldn't ones IF and TSS be higher?

I'm starting to understand the comments you've made in the past about power, power meters, and their uses.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
now you're question begging.

NordicSkier wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:
isn't he creating a strawman?

Yes, I am. My bad. Eneko is irrelevant to this thread.

I'll start a thread titled "How can Eneko possibly run so fast without a powermeter? Impossible!"

No, it's called being sarcastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a way more enjoyable way to race than either coming out of the water 3+ minutes behind and chasing for 112 miles. And MUCH better than crushing people on the bike only to wonder if you'll get caught at mile 12, 22, or never.

Makes me think that in order to be a great triathlete it would help to be able to swim and really help to be able to run.

Swim with the pack, ride with the pack. Maybe run down the outlier, and if he beats you, he earned it.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Ohh!

styrrell wrote:

I'm kidding in the sense that their computer reported vastly different amounts of climbing. I'm assuming the amount of climbing is used in calculations for things like IF and TSS, so comparing them is difficult in this case.

If they both also had equal CdAs the fellow riding up the 5% grade would take well over 60 minutes to complete 40K. Since FTP is the wattage one can hold for an hour "all out" an hour of all out riding gives in IF of 1.0 and a TSS of 100. If someone time trialed for an hour up a 5% grade his IF would also be 1 and TSS 100 but he wouldn't go 40km in that time.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Obviously he is biking too slow!

No, no, no... he had the most aero bike. That BH is blazing. Made the P5's in the race weep with jealousy.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what I want to know is why would someone want to do this on purpose?

" but one thing to note is that Fettell made a conscious decision to add weight for this race. He came in at 8 kilos, or 17 pounds heavier"

I can understand maybe 2kg, but I cannot think of any reason that gaining 8kg on purpose makes sense? maybe this is where I could improve.... that would be a lot of fun

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or other things that shall not be named

jackmott wrote:
probably something about strength

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's ironic

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know Clayton Fettell. Never talked to him. So I'm really just speculating on why someone would intentionally gain weight for a race. No idea if this is why Clayton did it...

Melbourne is a relatively flat course, so W/kg is not necessarily the most important thing on a course like Melbourne's. Watts/Cda is the most important thing. If done properly, one can put on some muscle without significantly impacting their aerodynamic profile. So, if done properly, one can increase their Watts/Cda by an amount that would more than compensate for any added aerodynamic drag. But, the trade-off is that extra weight usually means decreased run speed.

Just one possible reason an athlete would intentionally gain weight. There are many others (health, body comp cycling for peaking later in the year, etc...)
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Doug MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except, I don't think adding muscle would increase ones 4 hour power AT ALL, and it would slow you down a LOT on the run.

The health/energy reserve angle might make sense for gaining a couple of kilos but 8 is a lot.

Doug MacLean wrote:
I don't know Clayton Fettell. Never talked to him. So I'm really just speculating on why someone would intentionally gain weight for a race. No idea if this is why Clayton did it...

Melbourne is a relatively flat course, so W/kg is not necessarily the most important thing on a course like Melbourne's. Watts/Cda is the most important thing. If done properly, one can put on some muscle without significantly impacting their aerodynamic profile. So, if done properly, one can increase their Watts/Cda by an amount that would more than compensate for any added aerodynamic drag. But, the trade-off is that extra weight usually means decreased run speed.

Just one possible reason an athlete would intentionally gain weight. There are many others (health, body comp cycling for peaking later in the year, etc...)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my conclusions based on this thread.

Rapp needed to swim faster and make the front pack.
Fettel gained too much weight to run well.

Whoa...Ironman has become the new ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
styrrell wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Ohh!

styrrell wrote:

I'm starting to understand the comments you've made in the past about power, power meters, and their uses.

My comment was simply that the two readouts gave vastly different elevation gains for the same course. Somewhat obviously they are at least measuring that parameter different. People commonly compare readouts from different racers and different courses on different days. I just beware of making too fine of comparisons given the differences seen here.

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Mar 25, 13 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you compare SRM and quarq? are they comparable watt for watt since different power meters? just curious

Website/Blog|Lauren Goss Racing |Follow me @lauren_goss
"http://laurengoss.com/newsletter/"] Subscribe to my *NEW* Newsletter [/url]|
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Lauren Goss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In theory you can, in practice I wouldn't try to parse watt for watt comparisons between them.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Fettel overbiked IMO. This was from judging the way he biked while on camera. His run likely suffered as a result of overbiking.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Doug MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@claytonfettell
Race weight was 77same as always. #eatcleantrainmean
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Fettel overbiked IMO. This was from judging the way he biked while on camera. His run likely suffered as a result of overbiking.

I think you'll find Fettell actually largely took it easier than planned after the change in swim dashed any hopes he had of getting to T2 with a nice advantage. Seemed happy to be caught by the big group and just wait for the run as his style of racing was not going to be suited. He is a monster swim/biker with a run not quite at that level yet. The fact Rapp outsplit him on the run is of little importance when assessing their rides - as much as you want to find an equation to explain it - it's as simple as Jordan is a far better runner than him - much like Fettell is a far better swimmer than pretty much everyone and will always be first or second out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at the files mainly due to I'm not that interested in TSS and all that stuff.

But I was the spotter for the IronmanLIVE coverage for the men's professionals and Fettell and Crowie were on the front of the main bunch for 135k of the bike.

Crowie was on the front even longer in my opinion.

The Pros were always legal. I was interested to see that other than one time I never even saw a pro in the top 10 get out of the saddle. Even coming out of the tunnel.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [number20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number20 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I think you'll find Fettell actually largely took it easier than planned after the change in swim dashed any hopes he had of getting to T2 with a nice advantage. Seemed happy to be caught by the big group and just wait for the run as his style of racing was not going to be suited. He is a monster swim/biker with a run not quite at that level yet. The fact Rapp outsplit him on the run is of little importance when assessing their rides - as much as you want to find an equation to explain it - it's as simple as Jordan is a far better runner than him - much like Fettell is a far better swimmer than pretty much everyone and will always be first or second out of the water.

Maybe his run just is not up to snuff, call it what you want to call it, but IMO he overbiked.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you basing this on his history of biking and running in previous racing? If he held a higher ave watts on the bike and ran slower thasn previous then yeah I see your point, If it just based on his bike being relatively slower than his swim and run, then I jsut fdont see it.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Lauren Goss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lauren Goss wrote:
can you compare SRM and quarq? are they comparable watt for watt since different power meters? just curious

My experience is no. My SRM read about 25 watts higher than my PT at 250. In general the consensus seems to be SRM > Quarq > PT. I see in Rainmaker's Stage's review that he did some testing that was vetted by Chung and Tom A, two SMEs in this arena. In an example he averaged 174.7 for his Quarq and 161.7 for his PT. Data came from here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html.

Quote Reply

Prev Next