Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
From the "analysis":

That analysis wasn't particularly insightful.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert Krabel is not an average slowtwitch user.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
From the "analysis":

Quote:
One of the best metrics to compare athletes in an "apples to apples" manner is by looking at their watts/kg

Ummm...not for a triathlon leg, or most other timed cycling events (unless it's straight uphill at 6% or more, that is).

Tom, even though it is mainly watt/Cda, the watts per kilo will give us good insight into the potential for good run split (or not).

How does w/kg on the bike leg give you more insight into potential run performance than something like, say IF? In other words, % of FTP?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
How does w/kg on the bike leg give you more insight into potential run performance than something like, say IF? In other words, % of FTP?

Because light people run fast?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Light people with relatively large motors run fast....light people with not great motors (relative to weight) but with good CDA may bike fast but still run slow.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Light people with relatively large motors run fast....light people with not great motors (relative to weight) but with good CDA may bike fast but still run slow.

Dev

Of course, that's just physics...but, I still don't understand how looking at W/kg alone on the bike leg is going to tell you this...especially in the context of triathlon and looking at how well it was raced.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, looking at Watts per kilo in isolation would not tell the entire thing...as you said looking at %FTP along with watts per kilo will give us a better picture....then of course we have to know their run Vdot and run mileage in training to get the bulk of the rest of the picture. Would be interesting to know Jordan and Clayton's current Vdot's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of this takes into account how effective their fueling was. Once you get into small percentages of performance differences, how smart they fueled can make a huge difference in race results between competitors. Incomplete picture for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Right, but I thought the point of the analysis was to look at how they did within the context of their own potential, not necessarily their overall potentials.

BTW, if Fettel hadn't gained the extra 8kg, he and Jordan would have had nearly the same W/kg average output on the bike (they averaged nearly the same power and both would have weighed ~70kg)...seeing as how he has a "bigger engine" (as evidenced by his higher FTP), does that mean he would've run faster than Jordan?

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 25, 13 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless something has changed, I believe Eneko Llanos, the winner, does not race with a power meter.

Edit: Run 2:43. SICK!

So.... what conclusions can we draw from that?
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Mar 25, 13 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The watts per kilo and percent FTP would give us an insight into run potential...but their Vdots will also be limited by some biomechanical considerations. Two guys can have identical engines but one guy can be a lot better runner because of things like bone geometry, tendon lengths etc. That should show up in the Vdot number.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
none. that's not the point. the point is, when someone DOES ride with power, we can look at the data and learn some things from them.

what we are NOT learning is, "oh, so and so did this, so we should do the same and copy".

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
none

NordicSkier wrote:
Unless something has changed, I believe Eneko Llanos, the winner, does not race with a power meter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
none

NordicSkier wrote:

Right. Continue on with analysis of 4th and 12th place.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:
styrrell wrote:
Any idea of the ht/wt of the two. also I assume climbing is calculated into some of the performance metrics. Its very different for the two, basically one climbed 50% more than the other. Does that throw off some of the TSS and other calculated metrics.

Gosh I hope you're kidding.

I'm astounded by the speed they got on the watts they put out. 26.9mph on <250W? Dayyyyyyyuummmmmm. That's not really astonishing for a position that one might be expected to hold for a sprint or Oly, but that's badass for an Ironman.

Yeah, so there was a massive tailwind which was stated in the article and reported elsewhere.

I'm kidding in the sense that their computer reported vastly different amounts of climbing. I'm assuming the amount of climbing is used in calculations for things like IF and TSS, so comparing them is difficult in this case.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to analyze Eneko too.

Will start as soon as he races with a power meter =)

Or, if we want to argue from authority (http://en.wikipedia.org/...ent_from_authority):

Wiggins, Boardman, Craig Alexander

/gameover

;)

NordicSkier wrote:
Right. Continue on with analysis of 4th and 12th place.

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh!
No, climbing is not part of IF/TSS at all.
Only power and the athlete's FTP

styrrell wrote:
I'm kidding in the sense that their computer reported vastly different amounts of climbing. I'm assuming the amount of climbing is used in calculations for things like IF and TSS, so comparing them is difficult in this case.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isn't he creating a strawman?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:

Yes, I am. My bad. Eneko is irrelevant to this thread.

I'll start a thread titled "How can Eneko possibly run so fast without a powermeter? Impossible!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously he is biking too slow!

NordicSkier wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:

I'll start a thread titled "How can Eneko possibly run so fast without a powermeter? Impossible!"

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fettell wins. His SWEET socks and rockin' mirror visor convinced me.

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He does dominate Jordan in the "socks I should have stopped wearing in the third grade" department.

How dare you sarcastically make fun of that visor though ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

In terms of equipment selection based on racers' strengths, a guy who expects to be first out of the water and leading some or potentially all of the bike comes prepared to monitor his numbers.

A guy who is pretty sure he's going to be chasing from behind after the swim and riding solo/driving a train sees the benefit comes prepared to monitor his numbers.

A guy who knows he can swim first pack and is one of the fastest runners in the field and intends to ride with the lead pack for the whole bike ride maybe doesn't feel like he needs to be glued to a powermeter, just in the flow with the lead guys?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Ohh!
No, climbing is not part of IF/TSS at all.
Only power and the athlete's FTP

styrrell wrote:

I have no idea how they are calculated but if two guys do a 60 minute 40 km ride, one dead flat and one up a 5% grade. Assuming both are the same weight and same FTP wouldn't ones IF and TSS be higher?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:

Same way all the XC skiers can ski so fast without any data staring them in the face. Good athletes are highly tuned into perceived exertion and energy expenditure. I bet Rapp would race the exact same way off "feel" if his power meter conked out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next