Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All fair points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your longest run ever, and do you plan on increasing that at all? Do you want to do Badwater now, just because you can?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a lot of miles for such a slow goal. If I trained to run that many miles in a week, I’d be shooting for sub 2:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate hills?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDSICT wrote:
Couldn't just round it off to 120?

124.3 miles would be a more reasonable target if someone was into round numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
What is your longest run ever, and do you plan on increasing that at all? Do you want to do Badwater now, just because you can?

That's an extremely weird question. A bit like, "You can swim, you own a bike and run half marathons, do you want to (insert random location) Ironman, just because you can?"

Why would Badwater suddenly be on the radar after a few 100 mile training weeks?

Eric can't run Badwater, at least not until 2024 at the absolute earliest. But that would require him to finish three 100 mile races next year (continuous, not stage races), to even have his application for entry considered.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Counterpoint, I’m not getting injured, I’m not even tired. Why would that be?

Good for you? What is that a counterpoint to, exactly? The list of common overuse injuries?

You already stated why you think that is, and I agreed with you. You spoke in vague generalities, without much specifics. But, I agree with the description to the degree of specificity give. However, these injuries still happen to people when following those tenants. Great, they didn't happen to you, this year.

Quote:

You would think that you would ask a question on an AMA thread.

E

Do I need to phrase every statement in the form of a question? Is this Jeopardy, are you Alex Trebek reincarnate?

I don't have any questions, because I don't think its that remarkable. Sure its a lot of miles, but I've done it, too...and, with the exact same approach (as near as I can tell from your description. There's still someone around here who's done more for more often...Herbert? I didn't post an AMA for that reason.

What I find interesting is that you think that your sole example somehow represents the possibility for every person on the planet. "I did it, so everyone else can too if they just did exactly like me." That's a rather myopic perspective.

Frankly, I don't really understand what you're being so "testy" about. You're the one who brought up injury, and stated "you didn't understand what all the fuss was about". There's quite a bit of research into the cause, and treatment of these overuse injuries. They aren't well understood on either front. But, I'm glad you think you've found the holy grail.

If you want to clarify my “vague generalities”, ask questions.

If you don’t have any questions, and just want to talk about yourself, start your own thread.

I don’t think, nor never said, that just because I did it everyone can do it. You guys said that. You’re projecting.

I didn’t bring up injury, Nate Thomas did.

I don’t think I’ve found anything, other than what I said in my answer to Nate. I don’t think anything really, other than it’s peculiar. You’re projecting again.

You say it’s unremarkable, but when I say it’s unremarkable (“I don’t get the fuss”) you have a problem with that. I find that inconsistent and incoherent.

What DO I think? I think you don’t have the stones or the talent to steelman the strawman you are assigning to me. What are the possible ways in which Eric is not getting hurt? What did Eric’s coaches do right?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 23, 22 5:05
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDSICT wrote:
Couldn't just round it off to 120?

Never occurred to me. Maybe next time, if there is a next time.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Let’s steelman my thesis… what must I and my coach be doing right? “Be a mutant” or “be lucky” is not an answer. Make me a list.

As stated a couple of times now...

1. Running easy (most of the time)
2. Running frequently (regular doubles)
3. Running consistently.
4. Increasing volume appropriately. Typically, not volume and intensity in the same week.
5. Doing squats (or some other form of stabilizer strengthening).

If you are doing more, you didn't list it. So, I have no idea what that might be.

6. I run hills once a week.
7. I take a day off once a week (usually).

Quote:
Conversely, if running doesn’t cause injury, what does? You could steelman a list there as well.

E

That's your thesis, not mine.

I consider the above to be risk management strategies. They do not GUARANTEE injury-free running for life. They limit the risk, but mechanics, weight, morphology, age all impact the overall risk for an individual (I'm sure there are other risk factors that I don't know).

That’s not my thesis. I never said that. I’m asking as a thought experiment since injury seems to be such a sensitive topic.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

My longest run was around 30mi at my first Ironman because I made a wrong turn and cut the course and had to retrace my steps to fix it.

I know that I respond to high volume not low and I know that the longer the race the better I do compared to my peers but no interest in any trail runs, I can’t do downhills.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
That’s a lot of miles for such a slow goal. If I trained to run that many miles in a week, I’d be shooting for sub 2:30

That’s sort of why I find the whole thing peculiar. I ran into a guy from my run club on my long run and he runs like 35mph and has a 25:00 5mi race on his recent Strava.

There’s talent and then there’s true talent. Even if I ran a 2:37 someday that’s only as good as a sub-elite human female.

I like to think my high mileage will represent not an objectively fast time but a big improvement between a June and December marathon in the same year after taking a year off from running.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Why do you hate hills?

Even modest inclines feel like mountains to me. That said, I ran a brutally hilly half in October and I think it was the hilliest course I’ve ever raced on.

Before I started transitioning to tempo for this marathon in three weeks, I had added a hill repeats day on Thursday. I’ll add it back after the race.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 23, 22 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:

That's an extremely weird question. A bit like, "You can swim, you own a bike and run half marathons, do you want to (insert random location) Ironman, just because you can?"

Why would Badwater suddenly be on the radar after a few 100 mile training weeks?

Eric can't run Badwater, at least not until 2024 at the absolute earliest. But that would require him to finish three 100 mile races next year (continuous, not stage races), to even have his application for entry considered.

I’m very talented at running with on demand hydration and nutrition at a steady state on flat paved ground.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Let’s steelman my thesis… what must I and my coach be doing right? “Be a mutant” or “be lucky” is not an answer. Make me a list.

As stated a couple of times now...

1. Running easy (most of the time)
2. Running frequently (regular doubles)
3. Running consistently.
4. Increasing volume appropriately. Typically, not volume and intensity in the same week.
5. Doing squats (or some other form of stabilizer strengthening).

If you are doing more, you didn't list it. So, I have no idea what that might be.

6. I run hills once a week.
7. I take a day off once a week (usually).

Quote:

Conversely, if running doesn’t cause injury, what does? You could steelman a list there as well.

E

That's your thesis, not mine.

I consider the above to be risk management strategies. They do not GUARANTEE injury-free running for life. They limit the risk, but mechanics, weight, morphology, age all impact the overall risk for an individual (I'm sure there are other risk factors that I don't know).

Things you could ask me:
  1. How much sleep do you get?
  2. How are your erections?
  3. What shoes do you wear?
  4. How many pairs of those shoes do you rotate thru?
  5. How much do you run on the treadmill?
  6. What % incline do you run at on the treadmill?
  7. Do you do strides?
  8. Do you walk before and after every run?
  9. What’s your protein intake?
  10. When do you intake that protein?
  11. Do you use supplements?
  12. Do you use “supplements”?
  13. Do you stretch?
  14. If so what do you stretch?
  15. Do you do core?
  16. Do you run alone?
  17. Do you run with a group?
  18. Do you run on dirt?
  19. Do you have an injury history?
  20. Have you ever had knee surgery?
  21. Have you ever had a hip or knee replacement?
  22. Do you run with a heart rate monitor?
  23. Do you run with a run power meter?
  24. What’s your VO2 Max?
  25. What’s your cadence?
  26. What’s your ground contact time?
  27. Do you run on your toes?
  28. Etc.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you answer: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 please?

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Why do you hate hills?

Even modest inclines feel like mountains to me. That said, I ran a brutally hilly half in October and I think it was the hilliest course I’ve ever raced on.

Before I started transitioning to tempo for this marathon in three weeks, I had added a hill repeats day on Thursday. I’ll add it back after the race.

E

1200' elevation in 120 miles isn't much at all, but you have mentioned treadmill and track sessions, so that would obviously contribute to the low elevation numbers.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "brutally hilly" half to someone who confesses that "even modest inclines feel like mountains". Was it anything like this half? ;-)

RW_S02_Kedumba_elevation_chart.jpg (800Ă—480) (runningwildnsw.com)

Good on you for finding enjoyment and motivation in your running. Don't be deterred by the knockers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The amount of food that mileage requires doesn't seem like it would be particularly enjoyable. Were you having to force feed yourself to keep your energy up, or was it not an issue?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Last 10 weeks is probably at 100 except for a dip......................... Before that was a year of 70mpw.

E

And there is the part most people don't, don't want to, can't and/or won't grasp.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 23, 22 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
The amount of food that mileage requires doesn't seem like it would be particularly enjoyable. Were you having to force feed yourself to keep your energy up, or was it not an issue?

I don't know any runners who have complained about that.

A couple of marathon swimmers, perhaps. Never a runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Is there anything bigger than a triathlete's ego?

Have you tried the McRib?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Why do you hate hills?

E

1200' elevation in 120 miles isn't much at all, but you have mentioned treadmill and track sessions, so that would obviously contribute to the low elevation numbers.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "brutally hilly" half to someone who confesses that "even modest inclines feel like mountains". Was it anything like this half? ;-)

RW_S02_Kedumba_elevation_chart.jpg (800Ă—480) (runningwildnsw.com)

Good on you for finding enjoyment and motivation in your running. Don't be deterred by the knockers.

The half had 1000’ of gain in downtown Durham, NC. It was a PR for me, although my old PR was off the bike at a half IM. According to my training buddy who i have a lot in common with athletically and who did the race, the hilly half is worth a 5min faster flat half.

Thanks!

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much of your mileage is on soft surfaces? Grass/trails vs road/pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
Can you answer: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 please?

1. I have been getting 8 or more hours of sleep for 7 consecutive years… no naps.

3. Adidas Adios 7 and Adidas Adios Pro 3 and Adidas Takumi Sen 7.

4. I had been running a rotation of about 13 pairs of 3 different Adidas shoe models but recently during this latest high mileage surge I’ve been dependent on bouncy clown shoes for every run, even my treadmill runs. I’ll be racing, sadly, in Nike Alphafly, which test the best for me and are 5sec/mi faster than Next% or Adidas Adios Pro 3.

5. I run on the treadmill every day, the AM shakeout run, so 6 runs of 6mi or 50min with 5x20” strides at the end of every treadmill run.

6. I run primarily at 1%, but I’ve experimented with adding .5% every 12 weeks and also adding .5% the faster I run. I do strides at 12.0mph and 5.0%. Easy fast.

8. I walk 5min before and after every treadmill run.

9. I have a reasonably high protein and carb diet, I do two scoops of whey protein water and salt after every run and casein protein before bed and I love eating meat.

10. Ideally immediately after a workout but no later than 30min after. Casein right before I get in bed.

11. Aside from the protein and salting my food, I use caffeine before every workout and drink Nuun all the time and use salt tabs and Osmo pre-load for long runs, even in cold weather. I’m a known heavy and salty sweater, I had a sweat test done. Highly recommend. Other than that the only supplements that work IMO are beta alanine and BCAAs pre, and glutamine post. ON supplements, Osmo, Nuun, and Salt Stick are my trusted brands.

Hope this helps,
E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
sommer wrote:
Did you draw Strava art on your long run?

No, I do the same boring out and back each and every outdoor run for the most part. I’m a creature of routine.

This statement is the best information on the thread. IMHO establishing a routine and sticking to it day in and day out is the biggest hurdle to clear to be successful in endurance sports.
Last edited by: Dinsky11: Nov 23, 22 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

When I first started triathlon it seemed like I was force feeding myself 5000kcal/day but eventually that became background noise. With this running I have paid zero attention to eating, but I’ve stayed the same weight and might even be adding a little muscle, and also body fat as a result of too many miles and lower testosterone probably. I typically eat three meals and have three snacks in addition to the 5-6 scoops of protein powder a day.

One thing that is new is eating first thing after I wake up. One day at my usual breakfast after the miles went way up realized I had just eaten an entire box of cereal without even realizing it. I also house a quart of ice cream after my Sunday long runs… that’s been too.

Oh yeah, I drink gallons of milk per week.

E

Edit: to be clear, one of the reasons I’m not hungry ALL the time is because of the protein.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 23, 22 7:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next