Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

As for injury prevention, I’ve been thinking a lot about this… at the risk of pissing people off I really don’t get what all the fuss is. It’s very easy to not get hurt from my POV. I must have some sort of efficient biomechanics that preclude injury in addition to doing the correct ramp ups and correct frequency and consistency and intensity distribution each week.

That said I’m doing squats and deadlifts 2x/wk and stretching after runs for the first time in my life. I’m also keeping up with core work. I’d say I haven’t lost any weight in the last year and may even be adding some muscle and fat as these 100mi weeks start to add up.

I think it’s “the more you run the more you can run” and a corollary “the more you run the more you have to run” in order to take the dose and adapt or stay injury free.

IOW, more is more, and more more is morer.

E

nobody gets what all the fuss is until the fuss happens to them.

I agree.

For a coach I find Eric's statement to be a strange perspective. There are countless anecdotes of running injuries that clearly point to an injury risk associated with running. I've been injury prone, and I've been non-injury prone. Good mechanics is certainly a big part of it. Again, I've had both good and bad mechanics at different times...and associated robustness (or lack thereof) as a result.

Eric, I'm sure your squats are a big help. Hip stabilizers (esp. adductors), make a huge difference. I learned this inadvertently, several years ago from rehab.

I've always run as if my feet were both landing on the same line (eg, running on a balance beem, or the white line on the shoulder of the road). And I was also prone to hip, knee, and ankle overuse issues (IT band, patellar tendonitis, Achilles, and other various ankle tendons). Following rehab....my wife noticed that I no longer ran in a single-file gate, but one that was more straddled across a ~4" gap. More like running with each foot on either side of the white line.

After that change in 2018, I had no further running issues, including running 70 - 100 mpw in 2020 for the majority of the year (including 1500 miles over the summer as part of the GVRAT). That said, since I took 2022 off, I've noticed that my gate has returned to an in-line style gate---and, my left ankle has been "sensitive". So, back to doing more hip stabilizer work.

This is classic ST… “you’re wrong, but let me tell you how I do exactly what you do because it’s right”. Same thing happened in the 200/100 thread with some 13x/wk runner.

Perhaps the injury risk is not associated with running per se but rather associated with being in a cult to some extent or degree… believing the stories you tell yourself.

“Things that cause injury are out of my control, things that don’t are good choices because of my sharp intellect and handsomeness”.

Vs.

“Things that cause injury are within my control, I can make good choices because of my intellect and good looks. Things that don’t cause injury, or cause no injuries, are out of my control.”

I like my cult better.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
I’m going to support you on this, rather than agreeing since I don’t have any other frame of reference. I think there’s a lot of “conventional” thinking out there that sways people away from going further. I think your body builds into it and it seems your N=1 experience shows that injury is not a bogeyman we all need to be afraid of, all the time.

Glad to see it I’m sticking with my own 100/100 goals but I love to see your 200/100 progress

200/100 was last year, this year we are on to 300/100.

I’m beginning to think running does not in fact cause injury, just by the type and caliber of responses here. Why are we even talking about injury on this thread? Running is effing cool and fun and fun makes you feel good. I’m not hurt, I’m not even tired. If people have a question, ask it, this is an AMA thread. If people are coming here to talk about themselves and tell how running causes injury they can go start their own thread.

Maybe *people* cause injury, because they make bad choices like ramping too steep, not eating enough, not running easy, or not doing BarryP style governing of the long run distance %. Also taking bad advice from hobby joggers ;)

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

This is classic ST… “you’re wrong, but let me tell you how I do exactly what you do because it’s right”. Same thing happened in the 200/100 thread with some 13x/wk runner.

Perhaps the injury risk is not associated with running per se but rather associated with being in a cult to some extent or degree… believing the stories you tell yourself.

“Things that cause injury are out of my control, things that don’t are good choices because of my sharp intellect and handsomeness”.

Vs.

“Things that cause injury are within my control, I can make good choices because of my intellect and good looks. Things that don’t cause injury, or cause no injuries, are out of my control.”

I like my cult better.

E

That was not my point at all. I did not assert that things that cause injury are out of anyone's control, nor would I assert that my handsomeness (or the the lack of) has anything to do with anything, or any alleged sharp intellect for that matter, either.

My first point was that lots of people get injured running--ergo, there's a reason for a fuss. Its easier in running to do the wrong things---knowingly and unknowingly. Nor was I asserting that *you* weren't doing things right. Quite the contrary.

There are things that most know (or should know) to control, but often don't: frequency, consistency, intensity, and rate of build up...all the things you've pointed out in this and other threads. I completely agree with all those---and likewise make the same points. My own training in 2020 looks nearly identical to what you described above. 13-15 runs per week. With runs of 6-20 miles, and super easy pace (~9mpm with a sub-20 5k the same year). Likewise, I built up to that over a period of ~3 years (from 40mpw in 2018, to 70 mpw in 2019, to 90 - 100 mpw in 2020).

My only point with my anecdote was to compare it with your squats...to say, that I agree that is also a part of what you are doing right. And, that is a less widely understood thing that people can control. I did not (and would not) suggest that squats / hip stabilizer work / etc replaces the other training variables. It all adds up. But, I DO think that mileage amplifies the risks from BAD mechanics.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 22, 22 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are the most common injuries though? I mean, obviously I can think it through but I'm interested to hear others' experiences. I'm not likely to pull a muscle or strain anything if I'm controlling my intensity. Sure, if I add track workouts when I'm tired and try to force a pace that I shouldn't, I could pull a hammy, but in general as Eric is saying, what's the likely injury going to be?

Common sense is not so common, but unless I step off a curb wrong (and that will happen anyway), I don't see how my risk goes up from doing it every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several things that Eric has said in a few different posts imo are gold that many more could get value in and stay less injured:

-easy easy running (I'm just glad he didn't call it slow)

-leaving a couple of intervals in the tank (this is likely the most important with people "reaching" to do "just 1 more hard interval...my coach said to do 8 so i must do 8 line of thinking).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Do you think if you lost a leg to cancer, you could do 183.4mi in a week with a prosthetic like Terry Fox did?

If a speck of dust lands on me I will lose it. I’m not resilient AFAIK.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Vs.

I like my cult better.

E

That was not my point at all. I did not assert that things that cause injury are out of anyone's control, nor would I assert that my handsomeness (or the the lack of) has anything to do with anything, or any alleged sharp intellect for that matter, either.

My first point was that lots of people get injured running--ergo, there's a reason for a fuss. Its easier in running to do the wrong things---knowingly and unknowingly. Nor was I asserting that *you* weren't doing things right. Quite the contrary.

There are things that most know (or should know) to control, but often don't: frequency, consistency, intensity, and rate of build up...all the things you've pointed out in this and other threads. I completely agree with all those---and likewise make the same points. My own training in 2020 looks nearly identical to what you described above. 13-15 runs per week. With runs of 6-20 miles, and super easy pace (~9mpm with a sub-20 5k the same year). Likewise, I built up to that over a period of ~3 years (from 40mpw in 2018, to 70 mpw in 2019, to 90 - 100 mpw in 2020).

My only point with my anecdote was to compare it with your squats...to say, that I agree that is also a part of what you are doing right. And, that is a less widely understood thing that people can control. I did not (and would not) suggest that squats / hip stabilizer work / etc replaces the other training variables. It all adds up. But, I DO think that mileage amplifies the risks from BAD mechanics.

Let’s steelman my thesis… what must I and my coach be doing right? “Be a mutant” or “be lucky” is not an answer. Make me a list.

Conversely, if running doesn’t cause injury, what does? You could steelman a list there as well.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 22, 22 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
what are the most common injuries though? I mean, obviously I can think it through but I'm interested to hear others' experiences. I'm not likely to pull a muscle or strain anything if I'm controlling my intensity. Sure, if I add track workouts when I'm tired and try to force a pace that I shouldn't, I could pull a hammy, but in general as Eric is saying, what's the likely injury going to be?

Common sense is not so common, but unless I step off a curb wrong (and that will happen anyway), I don't see how my risk goes up from doing it every day.

I think your risk goes down the more you do it, hence the 200/100 and 300/100 challenges.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elon Musk, hero or villain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your swimming and cycling fitness these days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

there are a myriad of soft tissue overuse injuries that can come on slowly but once they are present they don't go away without time off and recuperation.

the returns are hugely diminishing though, running that much "easy." renato canova believes the break point for inducing gain from mostly easy/aerobic running is at something around 70mi/week and to produce tangible benefits beyond that one must go to absurd mileage (like 150).

running 118mi/week easy is just a colossal waste of time other than as an experiment and a badge of honor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

My personal experience, and from helping others over the last 30 years....the most common injuries are over-use types of injuries--things due to repetitive stresses. IT Band syndrome, Patellar tendonitis, patella-femoral syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, posterior tibialis tendonitis, peroneal tendonitis, and morton's neruoma. Other than PFS and neuromas, these are all tendonitis' to various tendons from the hip to the ankle. By definition these are caused by small stresses that build up over time.

I agree that acute type injuries (pulled muscles, sprained ankles) likely don't increase in probably, and may decrease from strengthening, and experience or other factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Do you go to the Lavender Room?

Based on my comments about the nature of reality with regard to running 100mpw or the cult of Lionel Sanders or the wind tunnel tested fastest bike which I ride because of data here on this forum for a few examples, you should know my answer.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
How is your swimming and cycling fitness these days?

Non existent.

OTOH, I thought I would not be able to swim any more but I jumped in recently and did and easy first 50 and it was :35, same as when I was a 58:30 IM swimmer, so it’s still in there.

When I finish with this running experiment here in December at Kiawah or maybe my local 26.2 loop in March I plan to target the 2023 IMFL.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:

there are a myriad of soft tissue overuse injuries that can come on slowly but once they are present they don't go away without time off and recuperation.

the returns are hugely diminishing though, running that much "easy." renato canova believes the break point for inducing gain from mostly easy/aerobic running is at something around 70mi/week and to produce tangible benefits beyond that one must go to absurd mileage (like 150).

running 118mi/week easy is just a colossal waste of time other than as an experiment and a badge of honor.

I agree with Renato except that 70mpw was the big waste of time for my physiology and phenotype.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:

My personal experience, and from helping others over the last 30 years....the most common injuries are over-use types of injuries--things due to repetitive stresses. IT Band syndrome, Patellar tendonitis, patella-femoral syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, posterior tibialis tendonitis, peroneal tendonitis, and morton's neruoma. Other than PFS and neuromas, these are all tendonitis' to various tendons from the hip to the ankle. By definition these are caused by small stresses that build up over time.

I agree that acute type injuries (pulled muscles, sprained ankles) likely don't increase in probably, and may decrease from strengthening, and experience or other factors.

Counterpoint, I’m not getting injured, I’m not even tired. Why would that be?

You would think that you would ask a question on an AMA thread.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well his point was that you then inject pace/quality into your week. i can't imagine you're doing any hard work at 120mi / 16hrs of running per week. You'd be totally thrashed. What's your 10 week average?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
well his point was that you then inject pace/quality into your week. i can't imagine you're doing any hard work at 120mi / 16hrs of running per week. You'd be totally thrashed. What's your 10 week average?

Last 10 weeks is probably at 100 except for a dip to do a mini taper for a local half marathon… it’s in the OP. Before that was a year of 70mpw. Before THAT was a year of nothing. You know the rest before that.

That’s exactly my point about intensity…. Track Tuesday, tempo Thursday, some quality in the long run Sunday. The other TEN runs are in the “easy-easy” range, which for me is 8:30/mi or slower, unless I’m running with other people in which case easy nose breathing seems to cap out at 7:15/mi. Having two or three easy runs between hard sessions really pumps out the metabolites.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well strava's graph is very vague. so i knew it was more than 59/week.

what's your goal pace? kiawah has a ton of turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Based on my comments about the nature of reality with regard to running 100mpw or the cult of Lionel Sanders or the wind tunnel tested fastest bike which I ride because of data here on this forum for a few examples, you should know my answer.

E

The Lavender Room scares me! LOL.

My biggest run week ever was 70 miles. Coincidently I ran my fastest 10k later that year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
well strava's graph is very vague. so i knew it was more than 59/week.

what's your goal pace? kiawah has a ton of turns.

Yeah I think the first week in that graph is 73mi and to the left of that would have been an 85 and a 70. The several across the top are 105mpw. The first dip is accurate, a race week, but the week after is missing some runs.

No goal, just go full send and hold on. I did Grandma’s in June in a more reasonable fashion and negative split a 2:55 for reference.

The “science experiment” behind what I’m doing is to divine exactly what “full send” should be and have the fitness and nutrition execution to back it up.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

E

The Lavender Room scares me! LOL.

My biggest run week ever was 70 miles. Coincidently I ran my fastest 10k later that year.

That was mine too this year and I did a marathon PR.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't just round it off to 120?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Counterpoint, I’m not getting injured, I’m not even tired. Why would that be?

Good for you? What is that a counterpoint to, exactly? The list of common overuse injuries?

You already stated why you think that is, and I agreed with you. You spoke in vague generalities, without much specifics. But, I agree with the description to the degree of specificity give. However, these injuries still happen to people when following those tenants. Great, they didn't happen to you, this year.

Quote:

You would think that you would ask a question on an AMA thread.

E

Do I need to phrase every statement in the form of a question? Is this Jeopardy, are you Alex Trebek reincarnate?

I don't have any questions, because I don't think its that remarkable. Sure its a lot of miles, but I've done it, too...and, with the exact same approach (as near as I can tell from your description. There's still someone around here who's done more for more often...Herbert? I didn't post an AMA for that reason.

What I find interesting is that you think that your sole example somehow represents the possibility for every person on the planet. "I did it, so everyone else can too if they just did exactly like me." That's a rather myopic perspective.

Frankly, I don't really understand what you're being so "testy" about. You're the one who brought up injury, and stated "you didn't understand what all the fuss was about". There's quite a bit of research into the cause, and treatment of these overuse injuries. They aren't well understood on either front. But, I'm glad you think you've found the holy grail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Let’s steelman my thesis… what must I and my coach be doing right? “Be a mutant” or “be lucky” is not an answer. Make me a list.

As stated a couple of times now...

1. Running easy (most of the time)
2. Running frequently (regular doubles)
3. Running consistently.
4. Increasing volume appropriately. Typically, not volume and intensity in the same week.
5. Doing squats (or some other form of stabilizer strengthening).

If you are doing more, you didn't list it. So, I have no idea what that might be.

6. I run hills once a week.
7. I take a day off once a week (usually).

Quote:
Conversely, if running doesn’t cause injury, what does? You could steelman a list there as well.

E

That's your thesis, not mine.

I consider the above to be risk management strategies. They do not GUARANTEE injury-free running for life. They limit the risk, but mechanics, weight, morphology, age all impact the overall risk for an individual (I'm sure there are other risk factors that I don't know).
Quote Reply

Prev Next