Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
Is there anything bigger than a triathlete's ego?

Have you tried the McRib?

I don’t identify as a triathlete lol.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Last 10 weeks is probably at 100 except for a dip......................... Before that was a year of 70mpw.

E

And there is the part most people don't, don't want to, can't and/or won't grasp.

You (Brian Stover) and Steve Johnson were big influences on my running.

And to be fair, before the year of 70mpw there was a year of 0mpw lol.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 23, 22 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
sommer wrote:
Did you draw Strava art on your long run?

No, I do the same boring out and back each and every outdoor run for the most part. I’m a creature of routine.

This statement is the best information on the thread. IMHO establishing a routine and sticking to it day in and day out is the biggest hurdle to clear to be successful in endurance sports.

Routine needn't be highly repetitive or boring though. I'd counter that an athlete is more likely to stick to a routine long term if it's stimulating and varied, with sufficient flexibility to adapt to and accommodate other demands of life.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate it!

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to know a few things about you:

1. How old are you?
2. How many years have you been running?
3. Have you ever had a running injury (I see you had a year of 0mpw, but that could be from a non-running injury)?
4. Are you a professional runner (do you make money running)?
5. Was there ever a time in your life you felt that 20 mpw was your max, or have you run big mileage for a very long time?
6. When you do your squats, how much weight are you lifting, and for how many reps? (Curious to know if you are doing high-rep low weight or low-rep high weight.)
7. How has the high mileage affected your testosterone levels? Have you had symptoms of low-T? Are you doing anything to off-set the testosterone-suppressing effects of such high mileage?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
I'm curious to know a few things about you:

1. How old are you?
2. How many years have you been running?
3. Have you ever had a running injury (I see you had a year of 0mpw, but that could be from a non-running injury)?
4. Are you a professional runner (do you make money running)?
5. Was there ever a time in your life you felt that 20 mpw was your max, or have you run big mileage for a very long time?
6. When you do your squats, how much weight are you lifting, and for how many reps? (Curious to know if you are doing high-rep low weight or low-rep high weight.)
7. How has the high mileage affected your testosterone levels? Have you had symptoms of low-T? Are you doing anything to off-set the testosterone-suppressing effects of such high mileage?

Thanks.

50yo running since I was 20 but seriously for the last 15 years.

My running injuries were calf strains when I first started triathlon and converting to good running form, and then high hamstring pain sometimes which deadlifts seem to keep at bay. ACL reconstruction pre running no issues now.

Not a pro, just a hobby jogger.

I lift as much as I can low reps, but it’s not much because I’m not strong.

I probably only ran 20mpw before tri, and then 40mpw. The curious thing about all this is the more I do the more I can do… the longer the event or training the better I do compared to my peers. I’ve been running 70mpw or more for over a year.

0mpw was not due to injury.

I’m doing fine with hormones, I suppose sleep and squats and eating well contribute to that. I do notice a slight lack of energy but it could be anything, same with a little additional body fat these last few weeks.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I’m logging 11 hours a week on the bike trainer with a new 80/20 strategy. My gains have been ok. But I have to respect the process and not get short sighted. I’ve not yet reached my 35 yr old power (I’m 49), but it seems to be within my grasp. I’m not that far away, and gains continue.

Best of luck to you. Thanks for putting yourself out here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did you feel you had to make it an AMA thread, which is usually used for wining bigger races, i wonder .

secondly, i find it interesting to read so thanks for posting .

my question is, and sorry if this was asked or my question if even wrong, if you say you have no time goal ,
does this mean you want to be as fast as possible,or the challenge is more to get the training done ,and the time dosnt matter.
or in short are you training to race , or is the training the challenge.

also how smart do you think it is in the long term to go from 0 miles 100 mililes a week
ie do you think it would have been better to a building year between 0 and 100 mile for long term success or is there no long term plan.
if there is one how does it look like.

how much do you supplement fitness with swim and bike training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

E

Ah thanks, now I'm blushing.

Anytime you want to text you've got my #

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

Ah thanks, now I'm blushing.

Anytime you want to text you've got my #

Thanks, and you have mine as well. You owe me an aero stick text.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
why did you feel you had to make it an AMA thread, which is usually used for wining bigger races, i wonder .

secondly, i find it interesting to read so thanks for posting .

my question is, and sorry if this was asked or my question if even wrong, if you say you have no time goal ,
does this mean you want to be as fast as possible,or the challenge is more to get the training done ,and the time dosnt matter.
or in short are you training to race , or is the training the challenge.

also how smart do you think it is in the long term to go from 0 miles 100 mililes a week
ie do you think it would have been better to a building year between 0 and 100 mile for long term success or is there no long term plan.
if there is one how does it look like.

how much do you supplement fitness with swim and bike training.

I think your second point is the answer to your first question. It’s unremarkable if a pro runs a lot of miles, but it’s noteworthy when a hobby jogger does it using knowledge learned from this forum. I thought it might be interesting and that sharing outweighed not sharing.

I would like to get as fast as possible, both long term and in comparison to June of this year. I don’t think the challenge is in the training, because it’s not challenging for the most part… that’s what’s peculiar about all of this. I enjoy process and routine and training by feel so things are going well. Ultimately though the physical world is the best test of test ideas and I am planning to race in December and again in March. I think truly racing a marathon is a really hard thing to pull off because the margin of error is so slim so that’s what I’m trying to shoot for. Negative splitting is different from going full send.

I did have a building year before the high mileage. Up to 2019 I was a consistent 40-50mpw guy doing tri training. Then I took a year off. Then I ramped up from 0 to 70mpw and then did 70mpw for about a year. About a month before a local half marathon in October I hit 85mpw randomly and I wondered “what would happen if I trained seriously for a month?” That went well and I’m trying to continue the trend into a full marathon in December.

I’m not swimming or biking at all, but I think if I were super serious about running I’d supplement with swimming to hit 20hrs of training per week vs. the 14-15hrs I’m doing now. I do intend to target IMFL in 2023 though, so I’ll probably start swimming in December and riding the first of the year.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who does your laundry and how much laundry did you have?

Kids in play?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done this?

https://taji100.com/

Some guys finish it on the 1'st day.
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Nov 24, 22 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:
what are the most common injuries though? I mean, obviously I can think it through but I'm interested to hear others' experiences. I'm not likely to pull a muscle or strain anything if I'm controlling my intensity. Sure, if I add track workouts when I'm tired and try to force a pace that I shouldn't, I could pull a hammy, but in general as Eric is saying, what's the likely injury going to be?

Common sense is not so common, but unless I step off a curb wrong (and that will happen anyway), I don't see how my risk goes up from doing it every day.

there are a myriad of soft tissue overuse injuries that can come on slowly but once they are present they don't go away without time off and recuperation.

the returns are hugely diminishing though, running that much "easy." renato canova believes the break point for inducing gain from mostly easy/aerobic running is at something around 70mi/week and to produce tangible benefits beyond that one must go to absurd mileage (like 150).

running 118mi/week easy is just a colossal waste of time other than as an experiment and a badge of honor.

I agree with Renato except that 70mpw was the big waste of time for my physiology and phenotype.

E

Except I don’t think Renato ever said that…or maybe he did and I missed it. He does however say that the primary influence on performance is the aggregate volume of specific intensity.

…The aggregate volume of specific intensity is dictated by….umm…the the amount of structural and aerobic support/compensation as a by product of high volume. Sensibly applied.

I have no questions but would like to congratulate you on your newly acquired large blank canvass. Time to grab the paint brushes for next year!

For anyone who’s bored or interested here is a great video on marathon training from Canova:

https://www.highperformancewest.com/...raining-method-video

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [arkmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arkmann wrote:
Who does your laundry and how much laundry did you have?

Kids in play?

Week on week off and I’m crushing the Tide pods to keep up with the laundry.

14 hours of running is significantly less than 20+ hours of tri training, driving to rides, driving to the pool, etc.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 24, 22 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Thanks, and you have mine as well. You owe me an aero stick text.

E

Ahhh missed that. Aerostick is good, looking forward to doing field testing here in Tucson. Had a pro that I tested ride 4:17 at IMAZ on about 15w lower power than normal.

Come on out and I'll refine your position plus you can check out the new bike fit studio / office I'm having built in the backyard!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are some of your go-to or favorite track workouts? Are you continually changing these up, or sticking with the same ones generally?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
What are some of your go-to or favorite track workouts? Are you continually changing these up, or sticking with the same ones generally?

Mostly I’ve been doing cruise mile repeats and then whatever the track club does after that.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

As for injury prevention, I’ve been thinking a lot about this… at the risk of pissing people off I really don’t get what all the fuss is. It’s very easy to not get hurt from my POV. I must have some sort of efficient biomechanics that preclude injury in addition to doing the correct ramp ups and correct frequency and consistency and intensity distribution each week.

That said I’m doing squats and deadlifts 2x/wk and stretching after runs for the first time in my life. I’m also keeping up with core work. I’d say I haven’t lost any weight in the last year and may even be adding some muscle and fat as these 100mi weeks start to add up.

I think it’s “the more you run the more you can run” and a corollary “the more you run the more you have to run” in order to take the dose and adapt or stay injury free.

IOW, more is more, and more more is morer.

E

nobody gets what all the fuss is until the fuss happens to them.

I agree.

For a coach I find Eric's statement to be a strange perspective. There are countless anecdotes of running injuries that clearly point to an injury risk associated with running. I've been injury prone, and I've been non-injury prone. Good mechanics is certainly a big part of it. Again, I've had both good and bad mechanics at different times...and associated robustness (or lack thereof) as a result.

Eric, I'm sure your squats are a big help. Hip stabilizers (esp. adductors), make a huge difference. I learned this inadvertently, several years ago from rehab.

I've always run as if my feet were both landing on the same line (eg, running on a balance beem, or the white line on the shoulder of the road). And I was also prone to hip, knee, and ankle overuse issues (IT band, patellar tendonitis, Achilles, and other various ankle tendons). Following rehab....my wife noticed that I no longer ran in a single-file gate, but one that was more straddled across a ~4" gap. More like running with each foot on either side of the white line.

After that change in 2018, I had no further running issues, including running 70 - 100 mpw in 2020 for the majority of the year (including 1500 miles over the summer as part of the GVRAT). That said, since I took 2022 off, I've noticed that my gate has returned to an in-line style gate---and, my left ankle has been "sensitive". So, back to doing more hip stabilizer work.

Running 118 miles in a week without injury is impressive at any age, but I'm guessing the poster is probably under 40 and definitely under 50. I don't run that kind of mileage, but nevertheless, I used to be able to run any distance I felt like at any speed and never have a whisper of injury. In my 30s, I started having the occasional very minor issue, easily resolved in a few days or a week at worst. Now in my 40s I have had two significant injuries. The poster is likely genetically blessed, and the squats and deadlifts I'm sure help, but age comes for us all. With that said, almost every publication and book will recommend squats as the #1 thing you can do to prevent running injury. My personal list top 3 list is:

Squats (knees)
Leg lifts (IT band)
Calf extensions (Achilles)
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric is 50, I'm 54.
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [tsszen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsszen wrote:
Do you prefer grape or strawberry for your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

The answer to this is always Nutella
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, was it worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Well, was it worth it?

Yeah, I think so. I had a horrible race, but that’s because I’m dumb not because of the mileage. Recovery seemed really quick because a marathon is like only 23% of my total.

I also felt high on drugs all the time from the 2x/day… constant runners high or really more like a mellow calm feeling. That’s pretty neat too.

During the last 12 weeks I gained some leg muscle as well as some belly fat, which is weird I’d have expected one or the other, especially the latter.

Now I have 12 weeks of 100mpw base for some next thing so that’s good too. Easy mile repeats fell from like 6:50 to 6:00/mi, but easy 800 repeats only fell from last like 6:20 to 6:00/mi. I have the engine and efficiency to run a fast marathon but not the strength if that makes sense.

One thing is for certain, running does not cause injury, it prevents it.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'One thing is for certain, running does not cause injury, it prevents it.'

This is like the guy who has smoked all his life and doesn't get cancer and says 'smoking definitely doesn't cause cancer, look at me, it prevents it!.'

To stick with the theme of the thread - what was your race / result?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

As for injury prevention, I’ve been thinking a lot about this… at the risk of pissing people off I really don’t get what all the fuss is. It’s very easy to not get hurt from my POV. I must have some sort of efficient biomechanics that preclude injury in addition to doing the correct ramp ups and correct frequency and consistency and intensity distribution each week.

E

For context, I ran varsity, after that I ran with national level and international level athletes for much of my running heyday. I have one or two friends that are bullet proof, but for the rest, injury prevention is very real and very important. This increases exponentially once people get out of their 20s.

You sound lucky, but anecdotally I know a ton of very accomplished runners that spend a lot of their time trying to prevent constant aches and pains from taking them out of action for weeks on end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next