Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
says the DPT/CSCS/SCS?

Example: You tell me strengthening and establishing flexibility/resilience in the posterior chain (through any method, not just CF) does not translate to running/cycling?

If your training plan doesn't include strength training similar to some CF movements and focus (squats, core, etc.) you're missing out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
The difference is these are incorporated into a proper strength program at most colleges that utilize a proper professional. No program relies on these alone as they are primarily single plane exercise, where most sports rely on multi plane movements

That has nothing whatsoever to do with your original post. Are you really suggesting that in crossfit they only do movements in the sagital plane? If so, it's not even worth having a conversation. There are a lot of things to dislike about crossfit, this is not one of them.

The ignorance and hypocrisy from both crossfitters and endurance athletes when discussing each others sport never ceases to amaze me.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Apparently OWL is the only thing that is in CF training.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having just read the new Lava "Lindsay Corbin" issue, it describes her physical therapist's plan for her rehab from stress fractures. Shockingly it included 2X per week of heavy lifting right up until Kona race day last year (ala crossfit, but probably without the "for time" component (which IMHO is how people like me got injured in Crossfit, that and trying to life too much weight too soon but I let my desire to keep up with the younger ladies outweigh my physical ability (dumb ego!).

Bree Wee also does Crossfit.

I'm just sayin...
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed.

agreed in what gets people into trouble in CF is not being accountable to themselves in relation to their abilities and the coaches not checking them.

A good box helps with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senescence- aging over time.
Is a fatal disease.

Exercise is one strategy that has proven to be somewhat sucessful in dealing with the problem of senescence.
Many people seem to mistake the "treatment" for the disease with the disease itself.

Runners- how often do we hear:
"Running destroys your knees?"
No -old age, being over weight, and inactive, destroys your knees.
Running is simply incapable of overcoming all problems.

Random accidents and senelecence are part of life. Weight training did not invent theses problems.

On the other hand, dilettantism is also a symptom of aging. Doing random stuff in a half-ass way is an expression of dilettantism. Much weight training (and especially crossfit) seem more an expression of dilettantism than "exercise."

Triathlon might be the stupidest "challenge" ever.
Yet lap swimming, weight training, cross fit- are simply activities that many people do to convince themselves they are doing "something."
When in fact they are doing nothing.

Even a stupid challenge is better than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats to dislike is a program that fundamentally ignores most scientific principles around strength and conditioning but follows the rantings of an ignorant founder who decides whatever he thinks is fact.

Crossfit is a program that primarily uses olympic lifts to form the basis of its programming. Been there, done it, waste of time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Whats to dislike is a program that fundamentally ignores most scientific principles around strength and conditioning but follows the rantings of an ignorant founder who decides whatever he thinks is fact.

Crossfit is a program that primarily uses olympic lifts to form the basis of its programming. Been there, done it, waste of time

Once again, a post which has absolutely nothing to do with your original statement that we all disagree with. Yes, crossfit does include quite a bit of olympic lifting (which sadly very few others do nowadays), but to say it is the primary means of programming is pure ignorance. This is just like the myth that crossfitters do no endurance training...except for the fact that in the last Crossfit games more than 25% of the events including long bouts of running/swimming/biking/rowing. You sound more bitter and ignorant with each response.

We get it, you don't like lifting heavy things, that does not make your original statement any less asinine. Lifting heavy things in an explosive manner is very beneficial to many components of many sports. Period, end of story.

I am the farthest thing from a crossfit proponent and share your disdain for the odd culture, the absurdity of some of the methodology, and (most certainly) Glassman, but as someone who studied exercise physiology for a very long time (PhD, MS, CSCS, PES, CES) and is a former professional strength coach; statements like your original one really rub me the wrong way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not what I am saying. They do help but they don't necessarily make you a better athlete in said sport. All that I am saying.

Example. Strength Coach to coach. Billy can squat 200lbs more than six months ago.
Coach to strength coach. That's nice but can he run faster.

These things are not mutually connected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. That's nice but I also have a PHD in exercise physiology. Teach at university, CSCS certified l, PES and no Olympic lifts contrary to what you believe are not necessary to make you a better athlete. They make you better at Olympic Lifting. They do not necessarily make you a better athlete. I have worked with many pro football players who were weight room hero's and on the field zero's.

Hmm. Last time I was at the NFL combine there was only one lifting test, bench. No Olympic lifting tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Sorry. That's nice but I also have a PHD in exercise physiology. Teach at university, CSCS certified l, PES and no Olympic lifts contrary to what you believe are not necessary to make you a better athlete. They make you better at Olympic Lifting. They do not necessarily make you a better athlete. I have worked with many pro football players who were weight room hero's and on the field zero's.

Hmm. Last time I was at the NFL combine there was only one lifting test, bench. No Olympic lifting tests.

Would you like to re-read your original statement instead of continuing to go off on tangents? You could replace olympic lifting with running (in your original post) and come to the exact same conclusion. Does running more automatically make you better at your sport (unless your sport is running)?

And please tell me you did not just insinuate that the sub-maximal load for maximum rep bench press was a more relevant metric for football than an olympic movement. The bench press is there for one single reason: it is safer. From a functional standpoint the movement and the volume are almost completely useless for football. Are you also going to argue that olympic movements do not assist in improving vertical and broad jumping ability (which they do test at the combine)? Excuse me for questioning your credentials as you continue to make ridiculous posts.
Last edited by: stop2think: Jul 31, 14 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon- a ridiculous and arbitrary challenge of fitness and endurance that some people pursue as an end in itself and which others pursue as a reason for which to "exercise."
Triathlon training-a systematic program of exercise and skill training with the explicit goal of making one faster at triathlon.

Crossfit training- a ridiculous set of activities without sense or purpose (unless looking good to other meatheads is a purpose).
Crossfit games- a competition designed to give a purpose to the "crossfit" activities.

There was the guy who tied weather balloons to his lawn chair and drifted into LAX airspace. When asked why he said:
"I guy has gotta do something. Can't just sit around watching tv."
True!!
But first we should chose a goal and then figure out how to achieve it.
Not just do random stuff and then try to justify it.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Triathlon- a ridiculous and arbitrary challenge of fitness and endurance that some people pursue as an end in itself and which others pursue as a reason for which to "exercise."
Triathlon training-a systematic program of exercise and skill training with the explicit goal of making one faster at triathlon.

Crossfit training- a ridiculous set of activities without sense or purpose (unless looking good to other meatheads is a purpose).
Crossfit games- a competition designed to give a purpose to the "crossfit" activities.

There was the guy who tied weather balloons to his lawn chair and drifted into LAX airspace. When asked why he said:
"I guy has gotta do something. Can't just sit around watching tv."
True!!
But first we should chose a goal and then figure out how to achieve it.
Not just do random stuff and then try to justify it.

For a while I struggled with why I didn't "get" crossfit, but this is pretty much it. It's like they created a competition to test their workout routine, like the World's Strongest Man, but with better marketing.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt yours as well. Keep going in circles if you like but again Olympic lifting is not a singular way of improving strength and power like you are arguing. I could just as easily put together a plyometric program which would be better for long jump or vertical improvement.

Peace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
I highly doubt yours as well. Keep going in circles if you like but again Olympic lifting is not a singular way of improving strength and power like you are arguing. I could just as easily put together a plyometric program which would be better for long jump or vertical improvement.

Peace

I'm sure you are familiar with the maxim; I am going to stop arguing with the idiot....and then go tell my football players that we are going to run a 5k today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Not just do random stuff and then try to justify it.

I don't get your distinction. Triathlon is also just random stuff that we justify by turning into a competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
>Not just do random stuff and then try to justify it.

I don't get your distinction. Triathlon is also just random stuff that we justify by turning into a competition.

Triathlon might be random. (I said "ridiculous" and "arbitrary".)
Triathlon training, however, is a systematic process for achieving this "ridiculous" and "arbitrary" goal.

I have a stupid goal. The best way to achieve this goal is x followed by y, followed by z.

Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all. (Unless looking good to other meatheads counts). It starts out with a bunch of pointless activities. Crossfit games and a bunch of psuedo-psuedo science is then used to justify the activities.
This seems backwards.

If life is a journey, it is not the end destination that counts. Who cares that triathlon is pointless?
But without a destination, one is just wandering around aimlessly. One never gets anywhere at all.
Just lingering around the box!!

Dedication to a recognizably pointless goal is probably a hall mark of a certain kind if person.
We want to do things.
Anything!
The stupider, often the better.
(Like triathlon).

It is not enough to act like we are doing things.
It is not enough to look like we might have done something.
It is not enough to "feel" like we have done something.

Not to be judg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:

Triathlon training, however, is a systematic process for achieving this "ridiculous" and "arbitrary" goal.

For everyone? you are 100% positive that this is the case for everyone?

Quote:
Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all.

I've met people personally who started crossfit with goals and I have met people who started triathlon with no goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all.

Sure it starts with a goal. The goal is to increase fitness, with the definition of fitness provided by Crossfit, e.g. a broad mix of strength, stamina, etc. Also I think there's an unstated goal to "look good."
Crossfit training is also highly structured and systematic.

>It starts out with a bunch of pointless activities.

Pointless to whom? That's an arbitrary judgment. Running for the sake of running faster is no more "meaningful" than doing pull-ups for the sake of doing more pull-ups.

(I'm not a Crossfitter, so have no real dog in this fight, I just find the vocal criticism to be odd. From my perception it's a little cultish, but also a healthy, time-efficient way to stay physically fit.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail. It appears you and I agree on a broad array of topics. Including this one. I too have no strong feeling about CF but agree fully on your assesment.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:

Quote:

I've met people personally who started crossfit with goals and I have met people who started triathlon with no goals.

Why is such a significant faction of this board so myopic? I can just see this very same thread on a crossfit board, with the crossfit and triathlon interchanged in Dirtymango's statement, and getting the exact same response. The sports have way more commonalities than they do differences; competitors in conventional sports are laughing at you both for treating exercise as a sport and having no real purpose/goals...and they would be ignorant as well.
Last edited by: stop2think: Jul 31, 14 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that crossfit and triathlon are very similar in the sense that they're a relatively random set of activities put together to form a new entity with the objective being to be either the "strongest" (using that word to make the analogy simple) or the "fastest" for the two respectively. Basically to oversimplify a little they're just the weightlifting and aerobic equivalents of each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People on here are just pissed that all the hot chicks do crossfit and date CF guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:

Quote:

Why is such a significant faction of this board so myopic? I can just see this very same thread on a crossfit board, with the crossfit and triathlon interchanged in Dirtymango's statement, and getting the exact same response. The sports have way more commonalities than they do differences; competitors in conventional sports are laughing at you both for treating exercise as a sport and having no real purpose/goals...and they would be ignorant as well.

My post is the exact opposite of being myopic... Possibly if you yourself were not so shortsighted you could see I was in no way defending either one.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
tejanatab wrote:
-Mike- wrote:
Yep, they are exactly like us, in fact in their definition they state the goal of CF is to be generalists of the "ten fitness domains". They pretty much do everything triathletes do and like triathletes assume they are better than everybody else because they are somewhat skilled in multiple sports.

You seem knowledgeable about CF. What's the deal with this event*? Specifically, what's up with having to hold the rope?

http://games.crossfit.com/...eam-6-mile-relay-run

*I like watching the CF games.

I calculate the winners ran 6.5min/mile pace for the run. Not shabby at all considering how much muscle mass they all have.

I recon the rope is just to keep the paired team together. Also gives a chance to add equipment (a rope) into the event.

Professional CrossFitters do not do CrossFit for training. They cant. CrossFit is not training, it is cross fitness, the exact opposite of training. They train just like any other professional lifter does, like we do, like everyone does: repetition in what you want to improve in.

Also, 6:30 per mile for two miles is nothing special. I can, and have, done that rate for that distance and I am dead average in my age group for run times and I am far from a professional anything.
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Jul 31, 14 16:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next