Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
TriBri00 wrote:
Not a CF fan myself , but in terms of conformity of appearance we are no better. I've just spent a weekend surrounded by a LOT of shaved head guys wearing compression socks and oakleys. As someone who fits that description too I find it very comforting.

Agreed. I do my 100% best NOT to ever look like a triathlete.

So weird that we can have our own thing we like but anything else is shitty and not effective. Who cares? Do you guys trash the old ladies doing Zumba and Bodypump too? Ever talked to a triathlete all they want to talk about is their "training" and their bricks and OW swims blah blah. Everyone is into different shit, get over it.

One thing I don't get is why people show up in their trisuit for the bike check-in the day before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
The first rule of Cross-Fit is: "You Must ALWAYS Talk about Crossfit".

You forgot a word

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
thirstygreek wrote:
TriBri00 wrote:
Not a CF fan myself , but in terms of conformity of appearance we are no better. I've just spent a weekend surrounded by a LOT of shaved head guys wearing compression socks and oakleys. As someone who fits that description too I find it very comforting.

Agreed. I do my 100% best NOT to ever look like a triathlete.

So weird that we can have our own thing we like but anything else is shitty and not effective. Who cares? Do you guys trash the old ladies doing Zumba and Bodypump too? Ever talked to a triathlete all they want to talk about is their "training" and their bricks and OW swims blah blah. Everyone is into different shit, get over it.

One thing I don't get is why people show up in their trisuit for the bike check-in the day before the race.

I saw that at a local sprint and I had no clue what was going on. All I could do was say I'm glad I'm not THAT guy!
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read this on ESPN, is Crossfit going to go after them too?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11262964/crossf-explosive-growth-fuels-safety-concerns#correx
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Sort of in the same boat. No, I don't care to see your video of your 400 pound back squat PR. And the video of the 410 pound back squat PR two weeks later, ad nauseam.

And about the facial hair, google Rick Froning. All dude Crossfitter aspire to be and look like him.... :)

I would be more than happy to look like him.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Sort of in the same boat. No, I don't care to see your video of your 400 pound back squat PR. And the video of the 410 pound back squat PR two weeks later, ad nauseam.

So don't watch them then, the same as they probably don't want to see the video of some tri guy before and after he takes out 4mm of stem spacers and posts repeated check my fit videos..
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
next you are going to bitch about all the facial hair on the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Not going to lie, I watched some of the CrossFit Games on ESPN this weekend.

What did 7th place earn?
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the injury issue is overstated, all sports lead to the potential for injury. A good friend is a PT and he said the number one activity he sees injury from (sport related injury) is runners, followed by high school sports such as soccer, football, basketball, and then triathletes/cyclists. I asked about CF and he said he has seen a few but nothing like the media has hyped it up to be. He said he recently attended a med conference which addressed CF and the potential injuries and the general vibe was that it was not going to be a sport driving people into PT's offices/ serious injury.

I think part of the drive against CF is because the typical gyms are hurting and trying to push a PR campaign to get people out of CF and back into spin class. I asked a GM of a local Lifetime fitness who he views as his primary competition and he said without a doubt CF, he said they draw all backgorunds and its hard to get people to come back to a normal gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just realized something while reading your post.

Aren't crossfitters essentially the weightlifting versions of us?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, they are exactly like us, in fact in their definition they state the goal of CF is to be generalists of the "ten fitness domains". They pretty much do everything triathletes do and like triathletes assume they are better than everybody else because they are somewhat skilled in multiple sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
Yep, they are exactly like us, in fact in their definition they state the goal of CF is to be generalists of the "ten fitness domains". They pretty much do everything triathletes do and like triathletes assume they are better than everybody else because they are somewhat skilled in multiple sports.

You seem knowledgeable about CF. What's the deal with this event*? Specifically, what's up with having to hold the rope?

http://games.crossfit.com/...eam-6-mile-relay-run

*I like watching the CF games.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 Can't deny the fact that I took up CF in my off season and the strength gains are very noticeable in my training this year.

Can't imagine CF people complaining about all the tri people talking about workouts in their feeds :D

Whole injury thing is hype. Pick a responsible organization/"box" to train at where they don't allow you to sacrifice form for weight and have the personal accountability to know your limits and its just like any other sport. In my n=1 experience I've been busted up more in my tri training and other sports than I have in CF.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tejanatab wrote:
-Mike- wrote:

You seem knowledgeable about CF. What's the deal with this event*? Specifically, what's up with having to hold the rope?

http://games.crossfit.com/...eam-6-mile-relay-run

*I like watching the CF games.

I calculate the winners ran 6.5min/mile pace for the run. Not shabby at all considering how much muscle mass they all have.

I recon the rope is just to keep the paired team together. Also gives a chance to add equipment (a rope) into the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's nice, but I could have someone do pushups situps etc. and still see significant strength gains. It is not a strength and conditioning system for sports. For a soccer player does it make you faster, does it make your cuts quicker, does it make you jump higher. No one really cares that you can lift more wt (snatch, jerk, clean, etc.) don't mean crap if it doesn't make you a better athlete. Just lifting more doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you joking?
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The role holding was part of a relay in the team division. There is a masters division (think age group), team competition, and then the individual competition ( "pro"). Most of the dumb stuff happens in the team events/masters where people are really not that fit at all and lots of bad form etc. You also get more steroid use in the masters/team competitions as well which i think diminishes its legitimacy as well.

I like watching CF and do it on occasion as its a good method of weight training in my opinion but i have no illusion that it will make me faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No and if you think differently you have no concept as to principles of strength and conditioning nor exercise physiology. Mi suggest you go read up on both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
No one really cares that you can lift more wt (snatch, jerk, clean, etc.) don't mean crap if it doesn't make you a better athlete. Just lifting more doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete.

perhaps you should notify the Olympic weightlifters... oh the irony. That's like a weightlifter saying "just running a quicker marathon doesn't make you a better athlete." You're comparing two totally dissimilar sports and claiming only one competitor is an "athlete"

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 31, 14 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
HomerJSimpson wrote:
No one really cares that you can lift more wt (snatch, jerk, clean, etc.) don't mean crap if it doesn't make you a better athlete. Just lifting more doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete.

perhaps you should notify the Olympic weightlifters... oh the irony. That's like a weightlifter saying "just running a quicker marathon doesn't make you a better athlete." You're comparing two totally dissimilar sports and claiming only one competitor is an "athlete"

Agreed. Needs of the athlete will always dictate their best training methods. Clean, snatch, jerk...those are all explosive movements meant to train for explosive strength and speed, beneficial for all athletes mentioned. Go to most collegiate weight rooms and you will see the teams performing all of these movements in conjunction with your squats and controlled movements. Strength comes in many forms.

Power to weight ratio is the bottom line, holds true for humans as well as machines. As long as the athlete with agility and speed demands does not compromise their speed, agility and flexibility with the added strength/weight gains then they are improving and going to perform well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:

Depends on the sport obviously, but there is absolutely a correlation between compound movement explosive strength and explosiveness in many components of many different sports. That is not even debatable and it is backed by decades of EBR. If there wasn't, college and professional programs wouldn't be spending millions per year on equipment and s&c coaches. Now, crossfit generally does not teach the most efficient methods to improving this explosiveness; high rep explosive movements is a definite WTF no matter how you dice it.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devrock wrote:
slow123 wrote:

Thank you. That so cracked me up. :D

yup! haha
love when the new dude shows up and drops a post on what he/she thinks might be a novel topic. Note to all: Search Function is a good friend

Say, on the topic of Powercranks ?:)...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
No and if you think differently you have no concept as to principles of strength and conditioning nor exercise physiology. Mi suggest you go read up on both.

WATCH THE VIDEO.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 31, 14 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:

You mean you DON'T sleep in your trisuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is these are incorporated into a proper strength program at most colleges that utilize a proper professional. No program relies on these alone as they are primarily single plane exercise, where most sports rely on multi plane movements
Quote Reply

Prev Next