Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for pointing these out to me will buy a pair now!
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading this thread - i bought these using TG's code -- and received them last week. Since then, they have become a constant fixture of the living room floor, me, the wife, the kid are now at war on who gets to use these. So much goodness.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
they have become a constant fixture of the living room floor, me, the wife, the kid are now at war on who gets to use these. So much goodness.

Thanks for the feedback - it is great to hear. Maybe 2 more pairs are in store for Family Relax time ;)


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $400 is long gone, but out of curiosity - what do you get for $60?

https://www.opensky.com/...p-e:20170315011847:s
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The second picture looks very similar to these: http://amzn.to/2nqHyBB

Regardless if they are different, I haven't tested them and don't plan to. Frankly the knee section is my favorite part if only to warm up the joints and ligaments a bit. I have an idea about what the parts inside these units cost and $400 is about the bottom line. Although Amazon reviews aren't really that great of system, 200 reviews of 1 star out of 472 isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. On second thought, maybe I will order a pair just to see what they are like. I am quite curious after reading some of the reviews.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [mad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How noisy are those recovery boots ? Can you use them while watching TV ? while the wife is around ?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [zivp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zivp wrote:
How noisy are those recovery boots ? Can you use them while watching TV ? while the wife is around ?

I keep meaning to get a decibel meter to measure both Normatec and Air Relax. You should not have any problem watching TV and frankly, I don't even have a problem watching things with my tiny laptop speakers. The units use a compressor so there is some noise in the pumping and deflating.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since Jan about a dozen of my hockey buddies all bought the Air Relax boots after trying my Norma's using the discount code Thomas provided...they all love them and have been recommending them to others-
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
zivp wrote:
How noisy are those recovery boots ? Can you use them while watching TV ? while the wife is around ?


I keep meaning to get a decibel meter to measure both Normatec and Air Relax. You should not have any problem watching TV and frankly, I don't even have a problem watching things with my tiny laptop speakers. The units use a compressor so there is some noise in the pumping and deflating.


There are some mobile phone decibel meter apps.

I have Air Relax. They are not that noisy. As you said, you shouldn't have any problem watching TV.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/...14/04/09/sound-apps/


https://www.cdc.gov/...opics/noise/app.html
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the chance to use the competing Dr. Air system post race in Texas as some buddies had them. I liked the fact the boots were a bit longer than the Air Relax - I am about 6'2" and my Air Relax boots only come up about 3/4 of the way up my thighs - the Dr. Air system were a fair bit taller. I thought the boot construction on Air Relax was nicer. The Dr. Air compression unit looked a little snazzier with the blue and green lights and did have a nice variable pressure dial, but I think the Air Relax does an overall better job. Absolutely love my system, with the small caveat that I wish the boots were a bit taller.

Great recommendation Thomas! Sorry I didn't say hi down in Texas, but I figured pre race you had better things to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at a pair of the Air Relax boots for my wife and I. Problem is I'm 6'3" and she's 5'3". What size would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:
Looking at a pair of the Air Relax boots for my wife and I. Problem is I'm 6'3" and she's 5'3". What size would you recommend?

My wife and I are the same - we bought the normal ones (the long was sold out), and they're a little short on me, but I don't think the longs would work for my wife. Not ideal, but I still find them very effective.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest normal length. Frankly, I wasn't aware there was a variance in lengths available when I bought mine in 2016 - wonder if its possible just to order the boots if I didn't get teh right length,
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
Had the chance to use the competing Dr. Air system post race in Texas as some buddies had them. I liked the fact the boots were a bit longer than the Air Relax - I am about 6'2" and my Air Relax boots only come up about 3/4 of the way up my thighs - the Dr. Air system were a fair bit taller. I thought the boot construction on Air Relax was nicer. The Dr. Air compression unit looked a little snazzier with the blue and green lights and did have a nice variable pressure dial, but I think the Air Relax does an overall better job. Absolutely love my system, with the small caveat that I wish the boots were a bit taller.


Great recommendation Thomas! Sorry I didn't say hi down in Texas, but I figured pre race you had better things to worry about.


Always feel ok to say hi. You didn't know this but I was just there going thru the motions on the day seeing where I am at post-mono so I would have been happy to chat even at length. Also, know that the Air Relax do now come in large version for people over 6 feet 2. The large is a tad bit longer than the regular Normatec. Not sure how long the large Normatec are. I have updated the original post to include that pertinent info about large now. You can buy just the long legs for $240 now too.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:
Looking at a pair of the Air Relax boots for my wife and I. Problem is I'm 6'3" and she's 5'3". What size would you recommend?

My advice would be just to get two pairs of the actual boots. One short and one long. At first the only way you could long was to buy a system but now you can buy just the long legs. The long legs are $40 more than short. . You can get just the short legs on Amazon, but you can't buy the long legs on Amazon. Air Relax website is the only way as of now and you can use the coupon on just the legs.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks....unfortunately the longer legs are out of stock for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
thanks....unfortunately the longer legs are out of stock for now.

Yeah I saw that. Looks like if people are just ordering a system new they can get the longer boots. But just the long boots by themselves are back to being "out of stock". I did send them an email last night about it. They said 2 weeks and they will have more.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
zivp wrote:
How noisy are those recovery boots ? Can you use them while watching TV ? while the wife is around ?


I keep meaning to get a decibel meter to measure both Normatec and Air Relax. You should not have any problem watching TV and frankly, I don't even have a problem watching things with my tiny laptop speakers. The units use a compressor so there is some noise in the pumping and deflating.


There are some mobile phone decibel meter apps.

I have Air Relax. They are not that noisy. As you said, you shouldn't have any problem watching TV.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/...14/04/09/sound-apps/


https://www.cdc.gov/...opics/noise/app.html

Thanks for that info. I guess I don't have any excuses now to actually do it. Plus it saves me from having to buy yet another 1-time use physical device.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea why they only recommend 15 minute sessions with the Air Relax but NormaTec says up to an hour for recovery?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [mynameis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mynameis wrote:
Any idea why they only recommend 15 minute sessions with the Air Relax but NormaTec says up to an hour for recovery?

don't know.. but i run the air relax 2/3x... so min 30min usually.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious if you knew anyone who tried to exchange a unit that came with regular boots for one with long boots and what their experience was like. I'm right on the edge of the 6' mark and I feel like I made a mistake going with the regular boots since they don't reach the top of my legs for upper hamstrings and quads. I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain to get the boots exchanged. I tried putting my foot through but it's tight and not exactly a pleasant experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Just curious if you knew anyone who tried to exchange a unit that came with regular boots for one with long boots and what their experience was like. I'm right on the edge of the 6' mark and I feel like I made a mistake going with the regular boots since they don't reach the top of my legs for upper hamstrings and quads. I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain to get the boots exchanged. I tried putting my foot through but it's tight and not exactly a pleasant experience.

How big are your hamstring and quads? I have both the long and short version. The short version was the only available version when I got mine, the long version really just came out in January. I have an inseam of 33.63 so even though I am only 5 feet 9 my legs are long. The long version of Air Relax are a little bit longer than the regular Normatec. I do prefer the long version of Air Relax but if using them in a family, the spouse is probably not going to be able to fit into them so the short version works great for multiple people.

The long legs are in really short supply. Basically they can't keep them in stock. I was told on 4/7 that they would be in stock in two weeks, for leg only purchases, and after just checking the website it appears they made that happen and are back in stock but I have no idea how many they got in. So far now, all those that wanted long boots can purchase them, just the boots. Usually once the long legs sell out the only way to get the long legs is with a NEW system.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a tape measure on me right now, but the regular version sit about 3 or 4 inches from my hip. I just got the new system yesterday. Hopefully I don't have to ship it back, pay the 10% restocking fee + shipping + new system + shipping. I guess I'm jumping the gun and should just wait for their reply.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
I don't have a tape measure on me right now, but the regular version sit about 3 or 4 inches from my hip. I just got the new system yesterday. Hopefully I don't have to ship it back, pay the 10% restocking fee + shipping + new system + shipping. I guess I'm jumping the gun and should just wait for their reply.

To me this is really being driven by consumers perceptions. The shorter boots hit all the critical areas for me. Sure they miss the very top for some but the reality is all the important areas for me including the foot, achilles, calf, knee area, quads and hamstrings are hit. This is where most of the fluid retention is IMO and what needs to be moved around. The reality is the longer boots cover a little more area for those that are tall but can also pinch the boys if you are a guy. This happens on both the Normatec and longer Air Relax for me.Your boys are right in there and you have to spread your legs apart and sometimes rearrange the boys. When you forget to get setup properly you quickly realize this when they get pinched so it isn't all positives.

The reality is I go with the longer boots but I am not sure how much benefit I am getting in that last couple of inches. I will say the longer boots are more expensive, they are about $40 more. I am always interested in hearing customer service stories but at the same time knowing some internals to the pricing and margins to the company I can say Air Relax isn't even making money at the current price point. They are trying to gain market share. Returns are expensive and shipping something both ways is expensive too. They are learning and growing but with choice creates confusion, buyers remorse etc. I believe that Air Relax is a reason Normatec recently reduced their price and that is a good thing. I see Air Relax continuing to get more and more expensive and Normatec coming down. I think in a year Air Relax will be $499 and Normatec will be closer to $999.

Fwiw, Normatec and Air Relax have both given me access to ask questions etc. I like both companies and the people at Air Relax do a really good job of getting back to me. If you have any issues, I will send them a message on your behalf.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a good point about the last couple of inches probably being of marginal importance. For me, I'm usually sore there from riding in the aero position so I'd like to get the area covered. I'll post my customer service story after I get it sorted out. I'm hoping that it'll be as simple as just sending them the short boots and not having to package the whole unit, etc, etc. I know they're more expensive, I'm definitely not trying to get them for free or whatever. Thanks for your insights!
Quote Reply

Prev Next