Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Could you please link us to that research you have seen. "


I'm not sure exactly what research I'd seen back when I made the post, but a quick google:


http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2016/02000/Vascular_Occlusion_and_Sequential_Compression_for.30.aspx


Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update/review?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Any update/review?

Sorry I never reported back. I'm actually sitting on the sofa in my basement right now with the Air Relax boots on. I use these things every day and they have been amazing. I highly recommend them. I've been training for the Chicago Marathon all summer & putting in high miles every week. Since I have had these, I will say that my legs feel refreshed & my recovery times are lower. I'm able to do runs and not feel fatigued after a long run or hard interval workout.

I would buy these again and I have recommended them to my tri club. Several people have bought them & their feelings are the same as mine. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Any update/review?


I was waiting to do a full review with the new Grey version, that I now have, in comparison to Normatec Pulse which I also have.

In short, I live in boots these days and I love them both. Here is a quick comparison. There is a discount code that knocks another 7% off AirRelax when purchased thru their website instead of Amazon. The Amazon seller is the same seller (Orange Tree Trade) as the Air Relax site.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 2, 16 20:01
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
instigator wrote:
Any update/review?

I was waiting to do a full review with the new Grey version, that I now have, in comparison to Normatec Pulse which I also have.
In short, I live in boots these days and I love them both. Here is a quick comparison. There is a discount code that knocks another 7% off AirRelax when purchased thru their website instead of Amazon. The Amazon seller is the same seller (Orange Tree Trade) as the Air Relax site.

A few months ago, I watched a short "day in the life" of top OW swimmer Alex Meyer, who swims 5K, 10K, 15K, and even 25K OW events. In fact, he won the 25K world championship in 2010. The interesting thing is that he uses the Normatec boots for recovery at the end of his day, which I was surprised at since distance swimming, espec at 5K and up, is primarily an upper body-dominated sport. Idk, maybe Normatec gave them to him for free on the condition that he promote them as much as possible but in any case, it is kind of interesting that a guy like him uses these boots.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure of his situation. I know that Normatec does a meaningful sponsorship with only a few pro triathletes.

Fwiw, I have a friend that IS sponsored by Normatec and I went to her to ask her about buying a set of boots from her. This was after I had already fallen in love with boots. I was surprised to hear that she had a single pair that were busted and she never used them. She said she could get another pair no problem but they were too much of a hassle to get in to and wasn't that big of a fan of them. I was very surprised as for me they have been a godsend.

They are great for the regular person too. You can see that Air Relax isn't targeted at athletes. I am on flight home today and will use them on the layover in Dallas. Regardless of who you are, do a lot of sitting and you legs will swell. These really help with removal of the fluid just as compression socks would do. Perfect for travel.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is orange an older version? All I can find is black legs...
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered my set with Thomas' Coupon Code. Demo'd the NormaTecs at MOO this year and they really felt great but at that price point it was out of the question for me right now. Being a 49 YO MOP'er I do notice that I do recover a bit slower every year although I am still getting faster and training better every year. Doing LOU also this year I wish I had known that the price difference between theAir Relax and the NormaTecs was this dramatic. My legs are still feeling sluggish and would have loved to see how I felt if I had been using the recovery boots all along. I will def have them when LOU is over and I will report back how I like them then and how they helped or didn't help in my recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I have the orange version. They are awesome. Do they help with recovery....don't think so....but they feel awesome after a long work out. They do the same thing as Normatec, but not as many options. Only complaint is that they shut off after 15 minutes, so right when I am falling asleep I have to start the program over. Normatec's are little beefier and the material is thicker....it is a better product, just don't think the cost difference is justifiable. Word of caution....they sell a 220 volt and 110 volt option. Make sure you pay attention to what you are getting.

This is pretty much my experience too. I've had the orange Podium Legs for 4 years now. They are in my tv room and I just use them when I'm lazy and on the couch. I don't think they are a magic pill at all and I would pick a TP roller over them any day if recovery was the main goal. Mine have worked flawless though after about 1,000 15 minute cycles. I bought mine for about $400 back then and my unit has about 4-5 settings to choose from.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
Is orange an older version? All I can find is black legs...

The new version is actually a very dark bluish gray but I am colorblind so who knows, but yes Orange is older. The newer one has minor changes, like the Normatec, instead of the tubes sticking out they are threaded thru an additional piece of fabric on the top and are not visible in the new version. That is really only the noticeable difference to me. They are supposed to be a little wider in the cuff too and some minor other changes that you won't really notice.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also bought a pair of the Air Relax boots about 6 weeks ago and love them. I use them daily (in them now) because they feel so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
I also bought a pair of the Air Relax boots about 6 weeks ago and love them. I use them daily (in them now) because they feel so good.

Good to hear. Will be interesting to hear reliability feedback over time. I have noticed that my Normatec seem to be expanding a bit because of use and pressure. I had Normatec first and was only using those so they have way more hours than my Air Relax. I try to split time between the two now but will be interesting to see if the Air Relax expand as well.

Fwiw, that tab on the air relax at the top that stretches across I thought was worthless, but after having my Normatecs bust open at the zipper a few times I now understand its purpose.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had any success getting these covered by insurance? Might take a shot with my PT.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [mad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair in the original box for sale for $300.00 I am just under 6' tall and wanted something longer like the Normatecs They work great, let me know if you are interested.

marq
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How short we're they on you? Inseam?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a game ready.... but damn the boot wraps are $$$ and I would still need to add hip to get the full effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my inseam is a 32 and they came up about 3-4" from my groin.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the other thing I forgot to mention is that you can pull them up higher to reach your ischium (hamstring insertion point) if need be. the air relax are more powerful than the normatec boots but I wanted the full length for my hamstring injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
Has anyone had any success getting these covered by insurance? Might take a shot with my PT.

Sorry for late reply, been travelin', anyway I seem to remember this coming up in maybe another thread and someone was able to get some sort of reimbursement or thru HSA. The original Normatec boots started go as a medical device with needed prescription so I would assume insurance would cover it under the right diagnosis from a physician but I didn't go that route so can't speak directly to it.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
How short we're they on you? Inseam?

They are definitely a couple of inches shorter than the Normatecs. For me, I have to remember to lift the old boys out of place in the Normatecs otherwise the boys can get pinched off and that does not feel good. The Air Relax are long enough to cover pretty much everything that you need ie all the way up the quads and hamstrings.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas,

I picked up the Air Recovery per your recommendation (and code, thanks!). They should be arriving any day now.

I was curious what you do for timing. I thought I read on the website that they recommended not surpassing 3x15min /day. This seems pretty short.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
commendatore wrote:
How short we're they on you? Inseam?


They are definitely a couple of inches shorter than the Normatecs. For me, I have to remember to lift the old boys out of place in the Normatecs otherwise the boys can get pinched off and that does not feel good. The Air Relax are long enough to cover pretty much everything that you need ie all the way up the quads and hamstrings.

The air relax are a little short on me. I need hike them up or else the lower section of the upper leg pushes into the knee. I'm not a tall guy (6' 32" inseam), so I can't imagine how these would fit on the 6'+ crowd.

In any case, just make sure the middle seam sits squarely on your kneecap. As long as I do that, its great.

Also, I asked them if they'd be covered by HSA. Here was the question/response:

Does your air boot system qualify as a medical device that can use HSA money? Does that require a prescription?

Thank you very much for your question.

Air Relax is the medical device class II, however it doesn't qualify for HSA.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [f_herman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f_herman wrote:
Thomas,

I picked up the Air Recovery per your recommendation (and code, thanks!). They should be arriving any day now.

I was curious what you do for timing. I thought I read on the website that they recommended not surpassing 3x15min /day. This seems pretty short.


The Air Relax is a qualified medical device so there is probably something to the recommendation for legal reasons. I'm not going to advocate any specific prescription, nor am I qualified to do so. The Air Relax does go up to 240 mmhg versus 100 for normatec. Obviously right there there is a huge difference. If you ran Air Relax at 40 (~level 1) versus 240 that is a huge difference right there IMO.

As for me, I have my Normatec set on 45 min session, and when I do Air Relax I just do the 3x15min. But I do it on average 2x times a day. So 1hr 30 in general. I do often go longer than 45 mins and shorter as well.

I had been doing more of start on 4-5 on Norma and increase every 15 minutes or so to 7, but it seems like maybe my Normatecs have stretched or something else has happened and the pressure doesn't feel the same as originally. Part of that is my legs getting use to it, but part of it seems like the Normatec itself.

My Air Relax, the new dark-blue-gray unit is relatively new. I usually will do a pre-workout on 1 maybe. Usually use 2 as recovery. I don't really use 3 or 4 at all.

I realize you only asked about Air Relax, but If figured I would include the Normatec usage as well for a more complete comparison.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: Q2 Blood Test Results | 10 WETSUIT buying tips | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 16, 16 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
f_herman wrote:
Thomas,

I picked up the Air Recovery per your recommendation (and code, thanks!). They should be arriving any day now.

I was curious what you do for timing. I thought I read on the website that they recommended not surpassing 3x15min /day. This seems pretty short.


The Air Relax is a qualified medical device so there is probably something to the recommendation for legal reasons. I'm not going to advocate any specific prescription, nor am I qualified to do so. The Air Relax does go up to 240 mmhg versus 100 for normatec. Obviously right there there is a huge difference. If you ran Air Relax at 40 (~level 1) versus 240 that is a huge difference right there IMO.

As for me, I have my Normatec set on 45 min session, and when I do Air Relax I just do the 3x15min. But I do it on average 2x times a day. So 1hr 30 in general. I do often go longer than 45 mins and shorter as well.

I had been doing more of start on 4-5 on Norma and increase every 15 minutes or so to 7, but it seems like maybe my Normatecs have stretched or something else has happened and the pressure doesn't feel the same as originally. Part of that is my legs getting use to it, but part of it seems like the Normatec itself.

My Air Relax, the new dark-blue-gray unit is relatively new. I usually will do a pre-workout on 1 maybe. Usually use 2 as recovery. I don't really use 3 or 4 at all.

I realize you only asked about Air Relax, but If figured I would include the Normatec usage as well for a more complete comparison.

Thanks so much for the information! I'll use this as a starting point for some experimentation.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
My Air Relax, the new dark-blue-gray unit is relatively new.

Thomas, can you measure the length (height?) of yours? At 6' the orange boots are as short as I'd want to go. Just curious.
Quote Reply

Prev Next