Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA BTA solutions [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mancala,

One more option that is good one for a few reasons on the IA will be our new AeroZ. Shipping out next week to select retailers including Trisports.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Nick wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Nick wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

The arm rest is 42cm.

-Dave

Do you know what is the idea in mind by making it so large vs 3T Aduro or Easton Attack 2007 both around 38cm wide ?

We followed the most commonly sold, used, and preferred size. It is possible that other sizes could be created in the future or an adapter that allows any base bar to be installed (like Rinny's proto) but today the 42cm base bar is what will ship. Again, by ignoring UCI rules we can reduce the frontal area vs. those UCI legal bars you've mentioned.

-SD

Thanks Dave. The possibilty of an adapter for selfchoiced bars would make the difference for me !!! Hope it gonna happen !

Ok, but be advised, the change to a narrower UCI legal bar and a non-integrated stem will make the bike less aerodynamic.
-SD

Hi Dave, any idea about how much the aero penalty is for using the non-integrated stem with a Pro Missile EVO compared to the integrated Dagger set-up? I noticed that the non-integrated Dagger stem doesn't integrate well with the Missile EVO bar (a lot of gaps).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Nick wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Nick wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

The arm rest is 42cm.

-Dave

Do you know what is the idea in mind by making it so large vs 3T Aduro or Easton Attack 2007 both around 38cm wide ?

We followed the most commonly sold, used, and preferred size. It is possible that other sizes could be created in the future or an adapter that allows any base bar to be installed (like Rinny's proto) but today the 42cm base bar is what will ship. Again, by ignoring UCI rules we can reduce the frontal area vs. those UCI legal bars you've mentioned.

-SD

Thanks Dave. The possibilty of an adapter for selfchoiced bars would make the difference for me !!! Hope it gonna happen !

Ok, but be advised, the change to a narrower UCI legal bar and a non-integrated stem will make the bike less aerodynamic.
-SD

Hi Dave, any idea about how much the aero penalty is for using the non-integrated stem with a Pro Missile EVO compared to the integrated Dagger set-up? I noticed that the non-integrated Dagger stem doesn't integrate well with the Missile EVO bar (a lot of gaps).

Thanks

I couldn't really guess a realistic difference. There really are too many variables to get any meaningful number here. The rotational position, extension height and bend, cable routing, and dozens of other factors come into play.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA stock builds vs Frameset availability [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,
If i wanted to run segmented housing for my ia, does one kit for brakes and derailleur do it or do you wind up needing extra housing? (this would be for a mechanical shifters, not di2)
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA stock builds vs Frameset availability [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Dave,
If i wanted to run segmented housing for my ia, does one kit for brakes and derailleur do it or do you wind up needing extra housing? (this would be for a mechanical shifters, not di2)

I don't think it is currently possible to run it fully for the rear brake because the longest commercially available liner is too short to run from lever-->brake.
Same with the rear derailleur.

I ran mine with the elite links by getting a custom made inner liner from Jagwire during a visit to their factory and used 3 kits to accomplish the needed length.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave do you have any pictures or advice for running the aero bars under the base bar and pads directly on the base bar? I'm switching mine around so I can get lower and more comfortable and yours is the only one I've seen configured like that.

Thanks,
Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancala wrote:
Dave do you have any pictures or advice for running the aero bars under the base bar and pads directly on the base bar? I'm switching mine around so I can get lower and more comfortable and yours is the only one I've seen configured like that.

Thanks,
Adrian

Other than using the bolts through the arm rest holes into the base bar instead of the separate clamps mounted on the extensions, its just upside down.
The extensions mount in the same way but you flip the mounts over.
Be sure to use the fit washers and anti-crush two-hole spacers on the extension mounts.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Post deleted by badoherty [ In reply to ]
Re: Felt IA stock builds vs Frameset availability [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

..... The only problem is sales volume vs. production capacity.

-SD[/quote]

Nice problem to have, albeit still a considerable challenge to solve. I'm sure you guys will crack it given time. My IA4 48cm is currently winging its way from Germany to LBS. I'll do my best to keep it airborne when I get it!
Thanks and regards
BD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:
Dave is there any documents which outline the Di2 process? I've got a 51cm mechanical IA4 but I'm looking to get a Di2 kit but I'm uncertain of the cable lengths I'll need. If you could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it as my wife is looking to order me the groupo online for Christmas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Check the document online as well as the included instructions with your bike.

You'll need:

5 port Junction A
Bar end shifters with hard-wired etube
integrated "ST" shifter/brake levers with hard wired etube
500mm R/D wire (RD to JC41)
400mm F/D wire (FD to JC41)
1000mm D/T wire (Junction A to JC41)
250mm S/T battery wire (BatPak held battery to JC41)
JC41 "junction B" for internal wires

This is a very useful list. I have a 58cm IA1 frameset on order (placed end of December and LBS hoping for March delivery), and was wondering if anyone could please help with differences in Di2 wire lengths needed for a 58cm (since these were provided for a 51cm.) Thanks very much for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,
We installed this way, but the holes through the base bar are made for 5mm bolts and you have you use 4mm bolts through pad holes to the clamps. This causes quite a bit of play in the system since the bolts have room to move inside the base bar. Or maybe we set something up wrong? We used outside holes on base bar, turned the clamps upside down and reversed. Holes in clamps are 4mm, so 4mm bolt runs through pads 5mm spacer on top, base bar, 5mm spacer on bottom, then into the clamps.

We cut the ends off some brake ferrules to fit inside base bar and spacers which helps a little but don't feel like that is a good long term solution.

Ideas?

thanks,
Mark

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCHammers wrote:
Dave,
We installed this way, but the holes through the base bar are made for 5mm bolts and you have you use 4mm bolts through pad holes to the clamps. This causes quite a bit of play in the system since the bolts have room to move inside the base bar. Or maybe we set something up wrong? We used outside holes on base bar, turned the clamps upside down and reversed. Holes in clamps are 4mm, so 4mm bolt runs through pads 5mm spacer on top, base bar, 5mm spacer on bottom, then into the clamps.

We cut the ends off some brake ferrules to fit inside base bar and spacers which helps a little but don't feel like that is a good long term solution.

Ideas?

thanks,
Mark

The holes are made for M6 bolts, not 5mm. Use the M6 bolts and open the pad holes just slightly so they pass through. Changing to button head type bolts is recommended so the sharper edge of the included cap-head bolts does not cut into the underside of the pad.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks that makes sense but how does the M6 bolt anchor into the clamp? The 2 set's of holes are not large enough. Do I need a different clamp? It's doesn't appear that there is room to tap those out larger without risking the integrity of the clamp.

thanks,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCHammers wrote:
Thanks that makes sense but how does the M6 bolt anchor into the clamp? The 2 set's of holes are not large enough. Do I need a different clamp? It's doesn't appear that there is room to tap those out larger without risking the integrity of the clamp.

thanks,
Mark
Use the nut that is oval shaped and looks like a football with two holes in it.

Or

Just use a couple M6 x 1mm nylock nuts from the hardware store.

I actually run my extensions on the inner holes and arm rests on the outer set of holes but I have my set up pretty wide.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave what's the maximum recommend spacer height for the riser assembly without using the bridge? From the manual it looks to be 20 mm.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancala wrote:
Dave what's the maximum recommend spacer height for the riser assembly without using the bridge? From the manual it looks to be 20 mm.

You can get away with the 30mm but I recommend only 20mm. If you pull hard on the bars with lower rpm you'll appreciate the connection between the left and right arm rests.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'day, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking at buying an IA3. It's a beautiful bike and I'm 99% sold. My only hesitation is weight. I only weigh 50 kg and so am a little concerned about buying a bike that is 1/5th of my body weight (hence why I'm no longer looking at the IA4). I'm racing mostly 70.3 and IM distance and love the idea of the fast, aerodynamic bike in races. This will also be my training bike and so it will cover a range of terrains. I'm wondering whether anyone knows the weight of the IA3. I am a 48 frame, but even if someone has a bigger bike, it will give me some idea. I'm tossing up between a Cervelo P2 and the IA3. The IA3 has my heart. I just need to convince my head that this is the right decision. Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Kristy
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Punk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel better re. weight Kristy, Mirinda Carfrae is about your size and gets on just fine with her Felt IA. :) To the tune of an Ironman World Championship (wait... it's 2 now on the IA, right?).
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
If it makes you feel better re. weight Kristy, Mirinda Carfrae is about your size and gets on just fine with her Felt IA. :) To the tune of an Ironman World Championship (wait... it's 2 now on the IA, right?).

Thanks surroundhound. Yep, Rinnie is my favourite female triathlete - she's awesome and is the main reason I started looking at the bike in the first place. We have really similar dimensions. Her Felt FRD has a lighter grade of carbon than the IA3. I just can't afford the FRD version. I know the bike fits me really well; i'd just really like to know the weight before I hand over the credit card. If anyone has this bike and some scales, I'd really appreciate it if you can weigh it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan too. Sorry I can't give you a weight reference on the IA... I have a DA personally, and it's plenty fast for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Punk wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Thanks surroundhound. Yep, Rinnie is my favourite female triathlete - she's awesome and is the main reason I started looking at the bike in the first place. We have really similar dimensions. Her Felt FRD has a lighter grade of carbon than the IA3. I just can't afford the FRD version. I know the bike fits me really well; i'd just really like to know

the weight before I hand over the credit card. If anyone has this bike and some scales, I'd really appreciate it if you can weigh it!

All you really need to know is that weight trumps aero by in triathlon and nothing is really more aero than this bike. Unless your are racing in serious mountains, you won't notice the difference between the FRD and the non FRD IA. Maybe not even then. I think it's a few hundred grams difference. Tri bikes aren't known for being particularly light. There are lighter tri bikes than the IA, but they will make you slower. I hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
Punk wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Thanks surroundhound. Yep, Rinnie is my favourite female triathlete - she's awesome and is the main reason I started looking at the bike in the first place. We have really similar dimensions. Her Felt FRD has a lighter grade of carbon than the IA3. I just can't afford the FRD version. I know the bike fits me really well; i'd just really like to know

the weight before I hand over the credit card. If anyone has this bike and some scales, I'd really appreciate it if you can weigh it!

All you really need to know is that weight trumps aero by in triathlon and nothing is really more aero than this bike. Unless your are racing in serious mountains, you won't notice the difference between the FRD and the non FRD IA. Maybe not even then. I think it's a few hundred grams difference. Tri bikes aren't known for being particularly light. There are lighter tri bikes than the IA, but they will make you slower. I hope that helps.

Thanks very much gregarious. Yep, you're right, it is all about aero. If one bike is as aero as another, but one is lighter, I know which one I'm going to jump on (pending cost). So, I'd really like to know the weight. I know it's a bit silly that I'm worried about weight, but it's the last tick on my list before I hit the 'I'm buying this bike button'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you weigh ~45kg, every bike is going to be within 1/5th of your weight. The nP2 is not going to be significantly lighter, frame-for-frame, for it to be a difference.

The nP2 is a "conventional" bike - traditional steerer, brakes and stem. The IA is "superbike" - everything integrated and proprietary. If both fit (and they are similar in their fit envelope) then aerodynamics versus ease of maintenance is the main differentiator, not weight.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Punk wrote:
gregarious wrote:
Punk wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Thanks very much gregarious. Yep, you're right, it is all about aero. If one bike is as aero as another, but one is lighter, I know which one I'm going to jump on (pending cost). So, I'd really like to know the weight. I know it's a bit silly that I'm worried about weight, but it's the last tick on my list before I hit the 'I'm buying this bike button'.

What if you find out the weight and don't like what you find? Will you decide to buy a slower bike because of it? If the IA fits, and you don't ride over 26 mph avg, then NOTHING is faster, even if it's 3 lbs lighter. The Cervelo p5 is heavier than their own p3....guess which one is faster?
Quote Reply

Prev Next