Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastsplits told me end of February and now "sometime in March"

Dave - any chance of a more specific date?

Again: 56 frame set ordered in December. Deposit down.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Said they had not heard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Said they didn't know, why? Is there a problem? Was hoping to be riding it at IM 70.3 Florida in April
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
What did Summit tell you about delivery?

-Dave

They told me that hadn't heard. Why, is there a problem?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [wds3825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for Dave but I'm guessing that Dave is encouraging you to use your dealer, tracking down shipments probably isn't in his job description. Sure, he's good at his job and wants people to order felt bikes but he would probably prefer to trouble shoot problems when the normal mechanism doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ANYONE getting their frames after the initial batch of built bikes went out? Thread is dead silent and I'm curious if I should go ahead and order all of the bike stuff for my frame if it's months and months away.

Anyone want to post a review as well if you've got one? Only seen one on this board so far ...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No news in Europe either. It seems that there are serious delivery problems. Its hard to believe that just a few ST's put their pictures on this thread if they really received their bikes/ frames.
Its way too silent around this bike.....

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have received mine...had it for about a month. I love it
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [jlesser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any more specific detail such as

How it climbs given the weight?
Ease of adjustability of the aero bars?
Ease to wrench in general?
How the stock brakes are?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine came in and is waiting til I get back home may 1
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to revive the IA buzz a bit and also say "so far so good" as far as customer service goes:

Dave K not only sent me detailed messages on the IA aerobars but also sent me a personal message when my frame would be at my Felt dealer (this Thursday!).

So thank you Dave and I look forward to the build and will provide a detailed review when it's built and done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is mine. Had it about 7 weeks. Not sure why you are worried about the weight of a TT bike, but it climbs just fine - just like a TT bike. I have ridden it around the front 3 gaps (north georgia mountains) once, and while I definitely scoot around the loop faster on my roadie, it climbs every bit as well as my P2. It gets over rollers just fine as well. It is no pig by any stretch of the imagination. I raced it for the first time this weekend and got around the course with one of the fastest splits of the day: 1150' of elevation over 17 miles, 22.9mph @ 3.6w/kg (NP) if that helps.

When we set it up at the LBS I was blown away by the overall micro-adjustability relative to the front end: you can move everything every whichaway without a whole bunch of complicated parts and bits. it is really, really smart. For me I wish the bar extensions were a little longer, and will probably eventually switch them out.

Brakes work great in both training and racing. Race this weekend was a little wet with lots of hot, 90+ degree downhill turns and I had no issues - never thought about them once, which I suppose is a testament to the fact that they work as you want them to. As good if not better than the ones on the P2.

The only thing that surprised me is actually how nimble the bike is - not sure why I was not expecting that. but it is solid as a rock and snappy. It had a lot of pops and pings the first time I road it (like any new bike might) but that all settled out and it is nice and quiet.

Only wrenching complaints thus far is the teeny-tiny 2mm (IIRC) allen screws that hold 4 fairings on (two over the front brake, one over the cables/wires in the stem, one over the rear brake). While I do generally like the design and how solidly they hold the fairings/cover on, the heads are so small they strip out just about every time you touch them. So, need to adjust your rear brake? strip out the screw heads when you remove the cover on the stem when you try and put it back in. Not fun on on the side of the road - next time I would just have left the cover off until I got back home with more than a multi-tool. You also have to take the front fairing off to charge the Di2 battery, so get ready to replace those as well on occasion. On the upside Felt obviously knows this is an issue and the bike ships with about a two years supply of replacement screws - they are all different lengths though, which is kind of a bummer as far as spare parts go. Make sure you get them from your LBS if you plan on doing your own wrenching. At some point I am sure I will be asking my LBS and/or SuperDave where I can get more of them. I don't think that is really all that big of a deal, I honestly think that is just the kind of thing you get in to with these so-called "super bikes."

Other complaint is with the wheel selection on the LTD, which was otherwise spec'd pretty much as I would have built up the bare frame. I had zero interested in the Mavix CXR80s, so I ditched them on eBay before everyone else that buys this bike does and drive the price down (hint - if you are actually interested in this wheel set, start scouring eBay!) I am sure SuperDave can outline all the great reasoning behind why the bike is spec'd with that particular wheel set, but in my case I already had a great set of fast tubulars and really wanted to make the switch to fast, bulletproof clinchers that I could ride every day as well as race, particularly in light of the PITA brake switching and adjustments due to the aforementioned fairings/covers/screws. Hence the Enves.

The last little complaint thus far is with the bento cover - like the idea of it and it is plenty roomy enough for a tube, co2+inflator, lever, small multitool, and a couple of gels, but you really have to cinch all that together. a couple of times during my race the gel I had stuck in there JIC kept bouncing the lid open. my solution was to just eat it. In training as you can see from the pic I just use a small saddle bag instead, as I always cary a couple of tubes, co2, patch kit, etc.

Again - none of the negatives above are big things to me - I absolutely am loving this bike and you will too, and could write pages on all the good stuff - but you can already read that everywhere else on the internets. These are just a handful of issues that I have found in the month-and-half with mine.

I'll do my best to answer any other questions you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Just want to revive the IA buzz a bit and also say "so far so good" as far as customer service goes:

Dave K not only sent me detailed messages on the IA aerobars but also sent me a personal message when my frame would be at my Felt dealer (this Thursday!).

So thank you Dave and I look forward to the build and will provide a detailed review when it's built and done.

When did you order yours, what size is it and what part of the country are you in? Maybe that will give me a look into when mine might get here......it's killing me! I wanted to ride it this weekend at 70.3 Haines city but I guess that isn't going to happen
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Sprattman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered mine in November / early December I think w deposit put down. I ordered a 56 and from a Felt dealer right outside Boston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
I ordered mine in November / early December I think w deposit put down. I ordered a 56 and from a Felt dealer right outside Boston.

Thanks, mine shouldn't be too far behind then, I hope
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably shouldn't mention it but we decided this year to start cutting the extensions per size. They used to be 350mm uncut out of the box but dealers grew tired of having to cut them for 97% of consumers and would often leave them uncut creating an unsightly mess up front.

I've suggested a couple times to guys that swap wheels between race and training wheels a couple times a month in season to just leave the covers off in training trim.

Grab a couple bolts for the covers and match them up to McMaster-Carr's site or even your local hardware store. They are not custom bolts, just standard counter sunk SUS308 material IIRC.

Looks like a 56cm, right?

Enjoy,
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful... Hopefully this will be almost my exact bike except I've got ENVE 8.9s. I'm just waiting to confirm the availability of the 58 frame in May. If it isn't I will probably end up with a Speed Concept 9.9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Fastsplits told me end of February and now "sometime in March"

Dave - any chance of a more specific date?

Again: 56 frame set ordered in December. Deposit down.

Thanks.

Nice, just had my fitting with Brian at FastSplits. Love that damn store, hate the way I spend money in there.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
I probably shouldn't mention it but we decided this year to start cutting the extensions per size. They used to be 350mm uncut out of the box but dealers grew tired of having to cut them for 97% of consumers and would often leave them uncut creating an unsightly mess up front.
-SD
That's a pita always.
With DI2 it would be the easiest NOT to have the bar end shifters finally installed. Just put for function and hand the customer the shrink hose for final install might be best.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.
No shrink hose with e-tube Di2 makes it even easier to leave the parts unassembled.
The overwhelming majority of folks selling the product disagree. Also doing 98% assembled bikes for dealer allows more QA steps to be in place prior to boxing and shipment.

SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, did you see my email about the 58 frames? Figure you are slammed as always, but wanted to see if you heard back on anything...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Dave, did you see my email about the 58 frames? Figure you are slammed as always, but wanted to see if you heard back on anything...

Yes super davie, it's been very quiet and it's the middle of April . I'm anxious as heck to get my 54 inch frame. What's up?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Sprattman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought this might be interesting on my IA experience.

I wrecked my Felt frame last week and got insurance money for my frame about $2500. This eliminated me from using the Felt crash replacement program. I was talking to my LBS, no names given, about just getting a frame. They told me what I could get and prices. I decided to ask about a new full bike. I said all I wanted was a 54cm frame, Ultegra 11 speed components and I needed power. They had nothing that met my needs in house, said they could get the ones off of Felts website, 2014 models of the DA. I then said do you have anything better then what I want. He told me they had 3 IA framesets in the back, but they were instructed to sell them only as full bike builds, so he told me I could do a "custom build" on the IA frame. I said I would be very very interested, especially after hearing the IA limitability. I told him I wanted the Ultegra front/rear derailleur, crank, TT shifters and brake levers, chain cassette, then a cheap training set of wheels. Brakes, cockpit, and saddle come with the IA bike frame per the website and what he told me. He said he would call back with a price later after he figured it out, I already had I price in my head since I had done the math. I was expecting around $8500 maybe even less. He calls back and says $10k. I said I will let him know, but was laughing in my head, because on Felts website the IA FRD is $10k.

Major difference in what the IA FRD has and what I was asking for.
IA FRD-My Build
Aero Wheels-Training Wheels
Dura Ace Di2 Components- Ultegra Mech components
Vision Tri max Carbon- Ultegra Crank

I understand that building a custom bike is going to cost way more then buying a full bike Felt puts together, but I don't see the logic behind this. I just do not see how they will sell these frame sets this way, I am sure so heavy pockets that rides 15mph will walk in and buy one. Yes I am frustrated and thought I would type away on here.

Opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several factors at play:

1) the LBS is building the frame. Always more expensive. Besides the cost of labor itself, you are building one bike from scratch. Assembly line and Asian labor wins every time.

2) OEM vs. wholesale pricing on the components. Felt gets a much lower price on components from Shimano than your shop will. Buying components through an LBS is rarely cost effective. You may want to ask them if they would be willing to build up the frame if you bring in the components and source them from ProBikeKit or someplace similar.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they have to buy everything themselves and put the whole bike together, I already have a full set of components, they will not use them on the IA frame because they want me to buy new ones from them. I guess my major point was, they have 3 IA Frames sitting their waiting for some guy to come drop $10k at least to build a custom bike from them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next