Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are making more $10,000 and $14,000 bicycles than our sales history would suggest is wise, yet it is still not enough.

In Australia and many other countries we have distributors manage their own supply and sales volumes.

I cannot force more Felt IA into Australia any more than you can force them into your local bike shop's stock.

Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tankboy, sorry to intrude but I have been following a bit on some of these threads, and I'd love to know why you don't like the Mavic wheels? I'll be in France next week and it's a good opportunity for feedback.

thanks - zack

Mavic Zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Maviczack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maviczack wrote:
Tankboy, sorry to intrude but I have been following a bit on some of these threads, and I'd love to know why you don't like the Mavic wheels? I'll be in France next week and it's a good opportunity for feedback.

thanks - zack

Hey Zack - happy to share my thoughts on why I went with another wheel set on my build of the IA. The first two issues had more to do with my personal setup.

1) First off, I wanted a set of wheels that I could ride for both training and racing. While I have never taken that position before, this is the first time I have a bike that is a little bit of a chore to swap wheels back and forth on like I usually do - see the discussion above about tiny screws and fairings/covers. So, while I have been riding long enough to remember the day when I would ride tubulars when training, those days are LONG behind me. I am more than happy to ride clinchers for training.

2) That brings up #2 - tubulars vs. clinchers for racing. I have always raced on tubulars, but when I bought the new bike I decided to switch to clinchers. I have "borrowed" my wife's set of firecrest zipps a few times and to me the combo of latex tubes and new rubber compounds ride great, especially on wider rims. Combine that with the fact that I already have what I believe to be a very, very good set of full carbon tubular rims and I just couldn't justify buying another set.

3) As for the CXR 80T wheels themselves, the number one thing that didn't work for me was the fact that it seems you have to use it as a "system" to gain all of the aero goodness: You have to use the Yksion Griplink/Powerlink tire AND use the fairing "blades" along with them. It all seemed too complicated for what I was going to use as an all-around wheel set. Plus I honestly was just not convinced that the aero-ness of the wheel/tire/blade trumped the higher rolling resistance of the Mavic tire. This was my experience with Zipps and Tangentes anyway: fast in the wind tunnel, but real-world experience showed that other tires/tubes were faster than the Tangentes, even though they were less aero. In the end I would lots rather have choices of rubber and tubes, along with the ability to change it up easily between them as particular conditions warrant.

4) Finally, the only time I have seen the CXRs in real life was on a group ride when the guy that was riding them had a flat and the blades came unseated from the rim before he could come to a stop. They seemed to kind of turn into a holy entangled mess with his rear wheel and drivetrain. While I am sure that does not happen often, it was enough to make me (obviously) think twice about them.

Hope that helps a little with your R&D - the other Mavic wheels I have I like quite a bit - the CXRs just didn't seem to fit my broader needs.

I would be interested in hearing SuperDave's thoughts on why Felt selected such a specific, seemingly narrow-market wheel set for the IA LTD build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For very similar reasons I decided to stick with my HED Jet FR 90's over the mavics. I'm also training and racing with the same wheel set and invested in the scicon aerocomfort so I don't have to remove the bars/forks. My LBS mechanic was convinced I'd have to feed new front and rear brake cables each time I rebuilt my IA after travel, as a very slight fray wouldn't let them feed through their needle hole in the brakes. The thought of doing that before every race was worth the aerocomfort bag investment for me. Something for IA owners to be aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Sukester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a slightly different approach to wheels for my 56 IA:

• I bought the frame at one Felt dealer and had my LBS build the bike for me - Di2 and a set of Renolyds Carbon Clinchers for day to day training and the non-A race TT or sprint triathlon.

• Then, we measured how wide the Reynolds wheels were and basically set up another more race specific wheelset (Zipp wide 808 I bought last year) and a new fat Zipp Disc Super 9 so that it really will be a simple wheel change: no swapping brake pads, no changing the orientation of the brakes, just swap out wheel for wheel.

That way I can run the Renolyds on windy days, or train on them or race on them with confidence I've got a fast wheel set, and then swap over to the Zipps w/ minimal hassel on more important days.

No need to take the fairings off or really anything.
Last edited by: bluesmachine: May 7, 14 2:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tankboy, thanks for the detailed response. I understand your reasoning regarding race vs train, clincher vs tubular. It's certainly a comment that we hear now and then. For what it's worth, the CXR 60 clincher strikes a nice balance and is a very valid option for racing and training. It's been suggested that riders can remove the CXR tires and blades to run training tires during the week. Then swap race rubber and blades into place for the weekend, and re-install the wheels with no need to re-adjust brake pads. And, the brake track is aluminum so it will be long wearing and consistent in all weather conditions. Rolling resistance with this wheel-tire system has been measured to be competitively low.

With the CXR 80 tubulars, our developers focused on aerodynamics, puncture resistance, and grip. These are key factors in keeping riders rolling through the race at the front, and our pro athletes seem to do well on the tires. But there's no question if you plan to train on them, they will be a hassle to change in case of a puncture.

In any case, your feedback is welcome and I will forward to our developers. I'm happy to take further comment or questions, both in public or via PM.
best regards,
zack

Mavic Zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Maviczack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Zack - no problem! I agree re: the CXR 60s. Had the IA LTD come with them instead of the 80s I would most likely have kept them without a second thought. My (minor, minor) beef is really with Felt's decision to pair the 80s with the IA LTD, obviously not with the 80s themselves. Of course I realize that they (Felt) have made some sort of complex decision that makes the most sense for them as a company even if it did not make sense per my own personal circumstances. Thanks for reaching out, and for your customer support on ST. guys like you and SuperDave are what build a loyal customer following and keep us coming back to your products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very reasonable and fully understood. Thanks for the kind encouragement to participate here.
The final thing I would add regarding the blades is that they have in fact been extensively tested for safety. They're supposed to fit tightly enough such that they won't come off in the case of a flat tire. It might have been the case that the rider you observed had an older blade or blades that were more stretched out than they should be.
I don't know Felt's specific decision process, but I can guarantee when they put that bike in the wind tunnel, with those wheels, the combined package is unbeatable! I know for sure they and other brands have tested the CXRs and found reason to put them on bikes. Now, is it totally practical for every end user who would buy the bike? maybe not, but for a flagship halo model bike, maybe it makes sense from a spec standpoint....
best regards - zack

Mavic Zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was told that the XL size wasn't available yet, any idea when the frame size will be available for order?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
i was told that the XL size wasn't available yet, any idea when the frame size will be available for order?

A few more weeks.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
bujayman wrote:

A few more weeks.

-SD

So sad that I couldn't make timing work... Especially seeing this picture.

PS: I'd kill for a blacked out IA like that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn it, Dave! You're making me want to trade the DA in for an IA.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks awesome.....

Any idea what the max saddle height is on a 58?

I have very long legs, my ideal height is 908mm, although i always have to ride less than that because nothing is that big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - lovely! Looks like the giants amongst are going to get one sweet looking bike!
Dave, IIRC you commented a while back when someone asked about why the shipping versions of the IA were painted and not completely nude like the initial teaser you posted, you replied that the carbon layups were not picture-perfect in some areas of the bike so the paint was strategic in covering those areas up - Am I remembering that correctly? If so, are there any assumptions we can make about the cosmetics of the XL carbon layup, or is the pic a response to market feedback (I personally love the big checkerboard carbon, but I have read that others may not), or is this just a one-off custom job and is the only pic you had of an XL? Regardless, the IA already looks big, I imagine the XL will look down-right huge, and would/will be pretty cool all murdered out as shown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your correct as I'm the one who wanted an all blacked out IA... My guess is this is a production sample, so it isn't painted to confirm all the details of the bike. Dave may confirm my theory but it makes sense. I was told no "nude" bikes would leave Felt...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if all the XL's look like this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TankBoy wrote:
Wow - lovely! Looks like the giants amongst are going to get one sweet looking bike!
Dave, IIRC you commented a while back when someone asked about why the shipping versions of the IA were painted and not completely nude like the initial teaser you posted, you replied that the carbon layups were not picture-perfect in some areas of the bike so the paint was strategic in covering those areas up - Am I remembering that correctly? If so, are there any assumptions we can make about the cosmetics of the XL carbon layup, or is the pic a response to market feedback (I personally love the big checkerboard carbon, but I have read that others may not), or is this just a one-off custom job and is the only pic you had of an XL? Regardless, the IA already looks big, I imagine the XL will look down-right huge, and would/will be pretty cool all murdered out as shown.

This prototype bike is "ghosted" in black/pewter metallic tinted clear coat with a BLACK Felt downtube decal. Many of our early prototypes are prepared without decals because the artwork is often completed AFTER the frames are in our hands so the final curves and shapes and sizes of the artwork and decals can be determined.

You are right that the combination of UD bars, chopped fiber covers, TeXtreme frame and fork, and potentially 1k, 1.5k, and 3k would not be visually appealing nude w/o artwork.

I'll get another shot of it all assembled with the Vuma Chrono crankset and race wheels. It looks like a regular bike blurred out by a huge censor bar.

-sD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually like the red better... But I would have been happy with either. Maybe on the next go around. :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sukester wrote:
...invested in the scicon aerocomfort so I don't have to remove the bars/forks. My LBS mechanic was convinced I'd have to feed new front and rear brake cables each time I rebuilt my IA after travel, as a very slight fray wouldn't let them feed through their needle hole in the brakes. The thought of doing that before every race was worth the aerocomfort bag investment for me. Something for IA owners to be aware of.

Sukester - have you packed it up yet? When you do, can you post pictures? I am looking for alternatives: the wife and I have used a pair tri all 3 hard cases and they have been very good, traveling/shipping 3~5 times per year for the past 23 or so years. The plastic however has evidently finally degraded and become brittle over time: the last time we traveled mine developed a large crack and my wife's a small one, so looks like it is time to retire them. Very interested to hear if you can REALLY keep the base bar attached in the scion aero comfort bag (assume you obviously have to completely remove the extensions). Do pedals stay on as well or do they come off? Any info you can share is a big help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tankboy, I haven't received the scicon aerocomfort bag yet, as I just ordered it. Should be arriving soon. But here's a vid. of the Kona champ packing his P5 in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSWF0ki7nI

It's also on sale right now at PBK:
http://www.probikekit.ca/...p;switchcurrency=USD

I purchased the aerobar protectors and aerocomfort 2.0.

Once it arrives I'll post a vid of packing the IA and whether or not I decide to remove the bar extensions.
Hope this is helpful.
Sukhi
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
That looks awesome.....
Any idea what the max saddle height is on a 58?
I have very long legs, my ideal height is 908mm, although i always have to ride less than that because nothing is that big.

From the center of BB to the top of the Fizik saddle with the seatpost at max this XL can go to 923mm. There may be other saddles such as ISM or SMP that have added rail-to-top height that can get you a bit higher.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a proper guide (or just a sheet) that shows pad stack and reach combos attainable with the various IA sizes? Like the one Trek has for the SC. I've measured the pad S&R on my '09 B2 (size 60) and trying to figure out if it's a 56 or a 58 I should start saving for.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SD,

Received my brilliant IA frameset. It looks awesome. I prefer to use the rotor bracket to accomodate my rotor cranks that came from my SC. I like to double check with you if the rotor press fit 4624 is the right one for the frame set. The cranks are 24 mm.

Thanks,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow..... That's a lot more than I though, and the largest I've seen. Thanks for the info.

I'll take a blacked out one please.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-run wrote:
Hi SD,

Received my brilliant IA frameset. It looks awesome. I prefer to use the rotor bracket to accomodate my rotor cranks that came from my SC. I like to double check with you if the rotor press fit 4624 is the right one for the frame set. The cranks are 24 mm.

Thanks,

Jeroen

No, the IA is BB30 not PF30. You need the 42mm bearing seat, not 46mm.

-Dave

Quote Reply

Prev Next