Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed I do. But its a community of people looking for answers to some seemingly easy to answer questions. Not just me. Would benefit everyone to see a response within the thread. A simple "we're still working on gathering the latest information on the storage options" response the first time someone asked the question would quiet nearly everyone. But you seemed to purposely ignore or be obtuse when you did provide an answer. Obviously you're busy - but you still have time to answer other questions. And you posted a thread announcing your new bike which would obviously provoke questions about the top tube storage options.

Anyway, good luck with the launch.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.... Well did you actually look at the geometry charts? The bike has 72mm of bb drop. That's right in the range of most bikes. So to the extent that you're worried about bb drop affecting handling, it should be just like any other bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Indeed I do. But its a community of people looking for answers to some seemingly easy to answer questions. Not just me. Would benefit everyone to see a response within the thread. A simple "we're still working on gathering the latest information on the storage options" response the first time someone asked the question would quiet nearly everyone. But you seemed to purposely ignore or be obtuse when you did provide an answer. Obviously you're busy - but you still have time to answer other questions. And you posted a thread announcing your new bike which would obviously provoke questions about the top tube storage options.

Anyway, good luck with the launch.

We're still working on gathering the latest information on the storage options.

I've answered the question before and again the best I am able today. I'll search through all the forums and posts and find my previous replies for you and repost them here. Like the heads up (heads down?) display with range-finding capabilities, future developments will work as add-ons to the already superlative features of the IA bike.

I'm expecting the IA to become a series of bicycles and accessories just as the B2 grew from one aluminum model in 1992 to an entire range of triathlon bikes in 2002 and finally to a complete B-series today. The DA took a similar path from a USA made aluminum frame, to the fastest UCI legal bike available. Will we make an IA with mechanical Ultegra shifting for a lower price option? I can't answer that just yet. I can only say it won't happen soon.

Other questions I've answered can be done off the top of my head, from memory or with very little digging or intrusion. Replying about the development of projects to be released in the future carries a much higher risk (see the 414 posts about the 0mm rise DA stems) as there are thousands of hurdles to overcome each could take seconds, days, weeks to clear. So I'll be careful. Scanning the transition area of the 70.3WC might give you some hints.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Beautiful bike but also a question:

As I live in the northeast and don't race too many pure flat TT's or triathlons, I am very curious how this bike CLIMBS with those near horizontal, "hidden" chain stays?

No doubt it looks fast and will test well in the tunnel but I'm curious about weight and ability to climb.

Any thoughts on that?

The frame, fork, and seatpost are lighter and stiffer than our Olympic Gold Medal winning DA, the seat stays are near horizontal to aid aerodynamics but they do serve the diagonal, one stay, two stay, and BB stiffness well. Our prototypes and testing without the seat stays had a huge drop off in performance from a handling and stiffness perspective.

The bicycle in our FRD video was just under 18 pounds but I'll admit I haven't even ridden the bike in my size. The only one available for me to pedal around was Rinny's and I'm about a foot taller than her. One of my co-workers took it out on our lunch loop and blasted a few QOMs on Strava with it, though. She said it was a bullet regardless of the horizon position.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great and thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a new frame to replace my P3 in 2014.

Looking forward to a test ride down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking to possibly order one of these bikes. Does it have the drink or food storage integrated into the bike or not? Not sure why this is so hard to answer. . . Simple yes or no would do. I am sure there are add ons to the bike that will come, but the question is about the bike as it sits now. Is there a place to store things in the top tube as shown before?

I honestly want to know.

THanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
zamm0 wrote:
any wind tunnel drag/yaw graphs yet? i think what people want to see is how it compares to p5, new SC etc.
Once the engineers are done with the data, it'll get turned over to the marketing (and legal) departments for distribution to the public.
Officially we'll launch the IA at Eurobike but got a bit of a headstart when photos were published after our sales/dealer/media training.
-SD
did the data get released? cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell3131 wrote:
Looking to possibly order one of these bikes. Does it have the drink or food storage integrated into the bike or not? Not sure why this is so hard to answer. . . Simple yes or no would do. I am sure there are add ons to the bike that will come, but the question is about the bike as it sits now. Is there a place to store things in the top tube as shown before?

I honestly want to know.

THanks!
Maybe can't be answered cause of patent issues bout the drink pack.
Just saw the dealers catalogue were the calpack is in and the drink pack is blackened out by hand.
If you really can drop the coin and want it I would just get it and buy the shiv hydration pack and throw it in there. I'm damn sure it's the one that was stuffed in the frame when the first illegal pictures came around.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks You. That helps.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't nail me on this.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Don't nail me on this.

nope, you are on the hook.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-SD[/quote]

Additionally, where can I find more information about stem options for the IA? And combined stack and reach numbers when using the included basebar and extension/pads. Its hard to determine which size I need when I've only got info on frame stack and reach and nothing for what my actual pad and basebar stack/reach would be.[/quote]

Ditto from me - can't place an order until I get the "real" stack and reach numbers ....
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates or availability on these bikes? Im surprised there isn't more chatter on this bike as per the P5, Shiv, SC, etc...

No weights listed on their website either for the bikes, frames, etc...

Anyone know any more information on this bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there is aero data due to be released. It was the same when the new DA was brought out...surprisingly low-key compared with Spesh, Trek, Cervelo. Curious.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [neil_mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neil_mc wrote:
-SD

Additionally, where can I find more information about stem options for the IA? And combined stack and reach numbers when using the included basebar and extension/pads. Its hard to determine which size I need when I've only got info on frame stack and reach and nothing for what my actual pad and basebar stack/reach would be.[/quote]

Ditto from me - can't place an order until I get the "real" stack and reach numbers ....[/quote]
I expected that stack and reach would be published on our website. I know I have all of them. Let me see if i can get the web updated.
-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

does this bike really exist? I went to my local store today to ask about when it can be ordered and they didn't even know about it... (okay, the guy was probably clueless). But anyway, what about putting out some pad stack/reach numbers in the geometry section of the website (I have seen somewhere non-official stack/reach numbers from an article in a magazine, but something more official would be good)? Also, estimated delivery dates?

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [mikeschuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeschuster wrote:
Hey Guys,

does this bike really exist? I went to my local store today to ask about when it can be ordered and they didn't even know about it... (okay, the guy was probably clueless). But anyway, what about putting out some pad stack/reach numbers in the geometry section of the website (I have seen somewhere non-official stack/reach numbers from an article in a magazine, but something more official would be good)? Also, estimated delivery dates?

Mike

Yes, the IA exists. Frame stack and reach are here:
http://www.feltbicycles.com/...ries/ia-frd-ltd.aspx
The arm rest has +115mm of (y) vertical adjustment, 133mm of width adjustment and 188mm of (x) horizontal adjustment.

The base bars have 0mm, 15mm and 30mm spacers to mount under the stem to offer between 0mm and 45mm of height adjustment.

With this range of adjustment I'm not sure the numbers would be much help in narrowing down the frame size. The difference between a 51cm and a 54cm is far less than the x and y adjustments available to the aerobars.

Delivery has been postponed until December except for the 58cm size which is postponed until 2015.

-Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aha, thank you. It didn't occur to me that only the IA FRD LTD has the geometry listed -- the non-LTD and the frame only doesn't, so you guys probably want to fix the website.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikeschuster wrote:
Aha, thank you. It didn't occur to me that only the IA FRD LTD has the geometry listed -- the non-LTD and the frame only doesn't, so you guys probably want to fix the website.

Mike

Yes, I want the website to be flawless and limitless in the amount of information it can provide to consumers to help guide their purchase. I'm not quite web savvy enough to do it, however. So I'll answer questions here as a stopgap.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super Dave: When you say that 'delivery has been delayed to December' 1) what was the original delivery date and 2) is that a 'delivery really confirmed for December' or 'should be by December 31st and more likely January / February' ...

I ask this not to needle but as a realistic question with the 2014 season really not that far away...

Also, will this bike have the 'Do not use on a bike trainer' sticker that I believe your DA had on it?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Super Dave: When you say that 'delivery has been delayed to December' 1) what was the original delivery date and 2) is that a 'delivery really confirmed for December' or 'should be by December 31st and more likely January / February' ...

I ask this not to needle but as a realistic question with the 2014 season really not that far away...

Also, will this bike have the 'Do not use on a bike trainer' sticker that I believe your DA had on it?

Thanks in advance.

There are over 116 individual parts that need to arrive to build the bike. I expected them to all be finished but some items that are being made here in North America haven't made it to Taiwan where the complete bike is assembled. Transit times often have 4-7 day windows both to Asia and back to the USA. I have no idea where you plan to buy your bike but UK deliveries would be a few weeks after Southern California as the port is much closer.

Since there is no risk on my part, I'll say the bikes should arrive December 18th. It would be exceptional and a big failure for Felt and for me personally if the delivery of the IA was postponed until February.

As the frame is manufactured with carbon fiber, like the DA, I'd advise against an axle/fixed wheel mounted trainer that puts the stays in tension and high torsion, rather than the compressive forces it is designed around. A set of rollers would be perfectly fine.

With that said, I cannot recall a failure we've had as a result of normal use on a trainer, but I've seen a few from the bike slipping out of the Q/R clamp and falling over crushing the seat stays.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave:

Thank you for the honest and quick response. With this info I can take a solid 6 weeks from to compare numbers on different frames and make an educated decision, etc. before making a purchase.

Really appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Delivery has been postponed until December except for the 58cm size which is postponed until 2015"

is that still the case Dave?, looking seriously at this bike but need a 58
Last edited by: big_vern: Nov 3, 13 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [big_vern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big_vern wrote:
"Delivery has been postponed until December except for the 58cm size which is postponed until 2015"

is that still the case Dave?, looking seriously at this bike but need a 58

Yes, there's been no update on the delivery of the 58cm size since I posted it on the afternoon of November 2nd.

The 58cm size requires all new tube shapes for the head tube, brake cover, and downtube to optimize the aerodynamics of the larger frame. The cross section (chord length) is quite a bit different than the smaller sizes. It is like designing a new bike (or at least 75% of it) if we want to make it faster than the smaller sizes which in theory is possible because of the added surface area.

Do you need the 58cm because you need the extra 2cm of top tube length?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for explanation - was wondering the reason for the long delay, yeah I need the longer top tube as I'm 6' 4", was also asking as the 58 is advertised on a few UK websites, roll on 2015..Nice to know it should be faster..
Quote Reply

Prev Next