Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! I guessed I missed it when you got appointed that position. Given your snowshoe adventure I think this is very appropriate.

I will never win the ridiculous/badass run of the challenge award because I am a treadmill bunny :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The judge can't be a participant in the challenge for the purpose of impartiality, so you guys better suck up to Jen with your ridiculous runs.

This frees me up to devote energies to ranting or running (or both). I'm waiting for Konaexpress to post reports from doing laps on the deck of a cruise ship in Feb, with aid stations stops at the all you can eat buffet (he can't count that time) and 60 minute "breaks" to swim laps in the cruise ship pool.

Today's workout was a steady 14K run, minus 3, good footing...no windchill, no frostbite, no crazy number of laps on a 5/41th of a mile track, no 3 am run start time, no Chinese pollution, no doing steeplechase over Indian Rickshaws or running through a Sri Lankan forest like Rferron like I am in a tacky 80's Duran Duran Hungry Like the Wolf video (although less tacky than ABC videos)....just a boring run of the mill "meat and potatoes" run
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing wrong with a "meat and potatoes", that is what a good running foundation is built on.

I am back from vacation, and on the commute to work via my feet, so my frequency should go back up!

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me out of that one. I wear long pants up to 55° outside and if it even looks cold, I am more than happy to hit the treadmill.

I could win the "Wuss" challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I never go exactly 30, but I can be close. Takes about 10 seconds to get up to a "run" so I'll
normally tack a few on at the end of treadmill runs.

Outside I can be pretty close but don't worry about it as much. Pretty soon I'll have to
start ramping up to train for Ragnar Relay.

If I could only kick this stupid problem with my foot (plantars wart got removed 1 week
before start, then got an infection, still bothering me) I'd feel a lot better.

-Jot
so are we saying the seconds between when you hit start and it reaches at least 5 or 6 mph don't count? lol. Guess I need to run an extra 5 seconds before I call it 30 minutes.

maybe I'll turn on the treadmill let it come to speed, hop on mid stride, start my secondary stop watch, so I'm not overstating my treadmill runs by 5 seconds.

:)

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, because both feet aren't off the ground. :)

Hey, there aren't any judges, so I try to make sure I hit the letter of the law.
I do, however count the full time of the run because I'm too lazy to remember
anything but the time and distance on the treadmill readout.

Of course, I understand there are some cheaters out there cutting their treadmill
runs 10-15 seconds short. They also are probably wearing mirrors. In fact, I
feel safe in saying that those people are just bastards and are what is wrong with
our sport today. ;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There could be quite a few sub-challenges but I think the stupid/HTFU run will be the most entertaining. The possibilities are intriguing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easing in...15 minutes out...15 minutes back...keep the HR at 140 and BAM! 30 minutes everytime..no matter where I am or what direction I go....Love it.....after 30 day we bump up to 20 out and 20 back...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is currently 8:18pm and I have decided to take my first day off training since Oct. 31. It is killing me. I told my wife that she is not to allow me to sneek out for a run tonight and she laughed and commented "as if I could ever stop you" but I'm determined not to let my type AAAAA self convince the small, undeveloped rational part of my brain that a rest day is not necessary :)

I've had a few double runs so I'm still on track for 100/100 and 325k in 3 weeks is pretty solid ..... I just have to keep saying that!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you need a day off for? If Neil Armstrong took a day off on 20 July 1969, there would be no giant leap for mankind. That was almost 40 years ago. It was the perhaps the single biggest pyschological step in human history...what do you need a day off for. You never know when you could make some giant leap for mankind...maybe if we put down enough miles in this challenge we can get from earth to the moon...get your ass out there <end Rant for the day>.

We're just over 40,000K and need to get to 384,403 km to get this 100/100 virtual relay to the moon...we need every step to outdo Neil Armstrong!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev

I'm thinking a day off would allow you to catch up a little :)

..... how's that for some smack talking!

Allan
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no hope to catch up even if you took 2 weeks off. You better be worrying about JoeO and not some lame guys barely on the 50 miles per week plan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev JoeO is cranking out 150km/week. I have never done a single 150km run week so I don't think that I'll start anytime soon or you won't have to worry about me next summer in our old man's category since I'll be a broken down wreck :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...shit I got busted....I figured if I could get you to chase JoeE and you broke, then this is my only hope of "keeping up" in Ontario M40-44 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BV Loop: 4.42 Miles @ 7:36

Went for the later 1/2 of my double, a little bit of drizzle but nothing too bad and the air temp was actually quite nice. It was nice to be outside after the morning run on the treadmill. After the run, I did 20 mins of Abs, Light Weights. MB
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got up early
slammed some coffee
did some bodyweight supersets
ran 5 miles

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Rich,
a nice vacation indeed ! A couple of months left before you get your ass back in Canada ... I do miss running with my favorite retard.

I'm 21 run out of 22 days, glad i could make it without injuries ! My booze intake kinda ruins every fitness perks these run could give me ... but it's only a metter of days before i get less festive and more serious ... i swear my sweat smelled like stale beer yesterday morning ... yuck

David

----
Yes, i run in AdiStar Racers all thru winter ... they are green-fluorescent ... so what !
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did run number 30 this morning. Dev I saw your note on the challenge board about maybe doing less frequency but going longer. I will soon. The 30-40 minute runs were perfect for me during the busy Christmas work rush. My Treadmill is 100 feet from my restaurant, so ducking out for a quick run is always an option. Business has subsided to a more manageable level so maybe I can run outside and longer more often.

Thanks again for setting this up. I ran more in November and December (in anticipation of this challenge and the 200 mile December challenge) than I have ever before.

Doing a long run tomorrow outdoors (woohoo!!!) with my favourite mutt Makaze. She will make a point of carrying a tennis ball for the entire distance.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
I like [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
got up early
slammed some coffee
did some bodyweight supersets
ran 5 miles

got up early
ate 2 clementines
ran 9.5 mi easy (81:40)
taught spin class

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's a good average run? I just looked at my runs, and I'm averaging about 45 minutes per. I know I do 2 x 30 minute runs per week. With one 1:15 - 1:40 per week. Guess the rest are in the 45 - 50 range.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: I like [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got up way early for me (5:20)
pounded some STRONG coffee
ran 4 miles
did as many pushups as I could
now I have to shower, eat, and go to hell (work at a deli) for 7 hours

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Re: I like [seanathan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treadmill @ 1% 31:00 3.5 Miles

I think running only ~30 mins at the 1st half of the challenge is smart. It is a good way to get your body used to running this frequently without getting hurt and it is much easier to fit into my schedule where outside daylight is minimal when I am home. I am still training all 3 disciplines so I am doing most of my running before it is light or after dark. Not super conducive to long running anyways. Once the sun starts hanging around longer, it will be much easier to get in longer runs.

Just my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: I like [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's run conditions: sunny, air temperature of 73F, dew point of 72F. While I'm glad winter has been pretty mild so far, I could honestly do with a little less humidity.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that there is such a thing as a good avg run, as your objective for each run may be different. Here is a little "game" I play that helps me to structure my runs:

I give each run a rating from 1-5, with 5 meaning it takes a lot out of me, and 1 being an easy recovery run. The volume will vary from person to person, or even for the same person at different times of the year, but for me examples would be:

1: 4-6 mile ~8 min mile
2: 6-8 mile ~7:30 mile
3: 10 mile ~7:30 mile
4: 12 mile ~7:30 mile, 6-8 mile w/20-40 minutes 6 min/mile (tempo), 5K race
5: 14+ miles ~7:30, I or R pace intervals, 10+K race.

I then try to keep the sum of any two consecutive days at 6 or under.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I call 6 mi a good average run.

Know why?

Once around Eagle Lake, which is the center of the known universe.

Quote Reply

Prev Next