Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Was wondering if anyone had done the double as WC.

Looks like ADC will put 3 guys in top 10, and bagged 3 Monuments in a row. They’ve become the spring classics juggernaut.

Not sure about that Jasper Disaster move but it'll probably work.

Btw, I get Peacock but went with Flo and VPN anyway. It was that bad. Really just wanted Roll or Phil to tell us who was in the front group and less suitcase of courage crap. Too much?
Last edited by: McNulty: Apr 7, 24 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember any gap much over 2 minutes in this century.

Eddy Merckx won by over 5 minutes once.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, he just has to enjoy the free ride.

Hopefully we’ll get an MvP x Ferris showdown at Liege.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
From Cyclingnews feed

Van der Poel's lead is growing again. It's over 2-30 now - maybe Museeuw's 3-04 will be under threat after all.

For context, when Dylan van Baarle pulled-off his huge win in 2022, the winning margin was 1-47. And that was the biggest for 12 years when, Fabian Cancellara won by exactly 2 minutes. This could be the biggest Paris-Roubaix victory for many years.

Thanks. Didn’t realize Van Baarle had such a big gap. And i somehow thought FC had only ~75 sec in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Politt looks thrashed. Probably not faking it.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Trivia:
Lots of guys do the Ronde-Roubaix double, but not many do it in the WC jersey. The last was Boonen in 2005.

I think I was wrong about this - Boonen won the WC in 2005, but of course he didn't have it yet for the Spring Classics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fastest Paris Roubaix, unofficially 47.8 kph.

Crazy how MvdP was injured and/or out of it for a few seasons and now he is destroying everyone. So I am hoping WvA will come back the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jasper was my disaster for a podium pick sweep.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Jasper was my disaster for a podium pick sweep.

I was really, really hoping that Mads could somehow outsprint Jasper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never was going to happen because of Jasper's mostly "free" ride in that group.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Where can I watch the race?

Peacock

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Fastest Paris Roubaix, unofficially 47.8 kph.

Crazy how MvdP was injured and/or out of it for a few seasons and now he is destroying everyone. So I am hoping WvA will come back the same way.

Saying, "injured and/or out of it for a few seasons" is really putting it a little too strong. Since 2020 (2019 was his breakout year in road cycling -- and hardly a full road season), he has won a monument every year since 2020. He was slightly down in 2021, but still managed 3rd in Robaix, 1st in Strade Bianche and a stage in TDF, and various wins in other races. There are not many riders for whom MvDP's 2021 wouldn't be an absolute dream.

Yet generally, your point is well taken as this last year for him has been exceptional. Asked recently why this period stands out, he said that he's been lucky with a stretch of time with without injuries, bad crashes, or bad luck. Notably little or no problem over the last year with the back injury he had at Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

If you look at his schedule in 2019 and 2020, he did limited road racing. Thus in a way, in addition to his back being ok now, you could also say that he is only in his 4th season of serious road racing.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Never was going to happen because of Jasper's mostly "free" ride in that group.

I knew it was a forlorn hope, but having picked Mads for 2nd I had to keep hoping a bug would fly into Jasper's mouth or something. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Looks like ADC will put 3 guys in top 10, and bagged 3 Monuments in a row. They’ve become the spring classics juggernaut.

You gotta hand it to the team management, just a couple of years ago the team was basically MvDP and a bunch of warm bodies to make up the numbers, but now the are perhaps the best cobbled classic team, and it wasn't by signing big names but by building it up from within.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

You gotta hand it to the team management, just a couple of years ago the team was basically MvDP and a bunch of warm bodies to make up the numbers, but now the are perhaps the best cobbled classic team, and it wasn't by signing big names but by building it up from within.

Also playing moneyball well. Picking up Silvan Dillier from AG2R - probably for relatively cheap - and he played his role today (at least I think he did, it was hard to pick out all the mob of Alpecin riders who gave MdVP a magic carpet ride all the way into the Arenberg.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the Arenburg, not getting to watch today. How did the group handle the added "chicane" turn before the section? Reading articles prior to today that was going to be a seemingly interesting wrinkle to slow the group down. Did it do that, was there any issues? Not even noticeable?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what happened to Van Barle? he is listed as DNS
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues, but also the peloton had already detonated by that point - maybe around 30-40 left? So there wasn't quite the usual savage battle into it.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
No issues, but also the peloton had already detonated by that point - maybe around 30-40 left? So there wasn't quite the usual savage battle into it.

It sounds like they have different plans for next year. Maybe, in years to come we'll speak wistfully of the Lacets de Arenberg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to Van Barle? he is listed as DNS

I read or heard somewhere that he got sick.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
trail wrote:

It sounds like they have different plans for next year. Maybe, in years to come we'll speak wistfully of the Lacets de Arenberg.

With the "chicane" it may well have been safer, but watching made me think I'd rather carry my speed onto the cobbles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Trivia:
Lots of guys do the Ronde-Roubaix double, but not many do it in the WC jersey. The last was Boonen in 2005.

Boonen had not yet won his world title when he did the RVV - PRbx double in April 2005. He won the title later that season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was sick so he didn't start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Was wondering if anyone had done the double as WC.

Rik van Looy was the reigning world champion when he did the Flanders - Roubaix double in 1962.

He is the only rider to achieve that before MVDP did it this season.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
eb wrote:
Trivia:

Boonen had not yet won his world title when he did the RVV - PRbx double in April 2005. He won the title later that season.

Yep, I got it wrong, and corrected myself a few posts later. Apologies for misleading everyone!
Quote Reply

Prev Next