Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
ddixon wrote:
iank wrote:
BEST RACE EVER. Well, it certainly competes in my heart with Rev3 Rush, Tri Tri Again, and Escape from Alcatraz (none of which are straight SBR, probably a theme there).
Swimming in that water without a wetsuit or cap was pretty awful, not going to lie. It took 3/4 of a mile after that swim to regain any sort of orientation.

Absolutely agree, this race was awesome! Most fun I've ever had doing a race, even though that last 5k trail run hurt like a mother!
To anyone on the fence about doing this race, you owe it to yourself to come out next year and have a blast!

I third this!!! It hurt like hell but you didn't notice b/c you were in the zone trying to pick the best line on the trails! I didn't expect the trails to be so technical either but I loved every minute of it!!!!!
Kudos to the race organizer and I will be back with lots of friends next year!

See I didn't find the last 5k so bad. To me that second bike was pretty rough though; I had nothing in my legs whatsoever

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddixon wrote:
By the way, did anyone else see that guy running those trails BAREFOOT! And not gently picking his way either, dude was flying! Holy crap, guy must have titanium soles in his feet.
Ha! This guy is a friend who I'm taking under my wing (for lack of a better word). His name is Tim Mulligan & he has a solid running pedigree (15:xx 5k runner) & his swimming has been coming along EXTREMELY well, given his short time in the water. We got him doing the ocean swims this summer & he started structured wko's in the pool a few weeks ago & is already <1:20 for 100yds.

SOTM was his 1st multi-sport event (literally a night-before decision), but his trajectory is going to be very good.

As for the barefoot running, he had an issue in transition & basically said Screw it...I'll run barefoot. Anyway, look for him to be turning some heads in the NJ tri community in 2015.
---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were running a humane-ish pace on the jeep trail for the first 3/4 of a mile or so, about 4-5 of us, then he just took off in the downhill singletrack section like no other. If I remember though, he was wearing a pair of Merrells or one of those other super-minimal shoes at the time.
To be honest, barefoot might not have been so bad on some of those wet boardwalks and logs and whatnot. Even in my Cascadias, I was terrified of slipping the whole time.

Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was run #2 (before the lake) when he came flying past me. That section of trail had a lots of rocks, roots, etc. that looked like they could some serious damage to the bottom of your feet. Pretty ballsy decision to go barefoot on those trails, major props to Tim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have results:

http://www.dqtridu.com/mills14.htm

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
We have results:

http://www.dqtridu.com/mills14.htm

Wonderful. The swim split gets combined with the preceding and following run splits. Now I know why I don't remember any timing mats around the swim start/finish (I had thought it was because I was busy trying not to fall down and/or throw up).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a timing mat at swim exit, but unfortunately it went blank on us, after about 20 swimmers crossed it, so we combined swim and 2 runs as one split for the triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how's everyone feeling today after the first Survival of the Mills. Glad to hear the positive comments as the creator I tried to make sure every detail was covered. Sorry can't control water temperature&#128513;. When I designed it I wanted to be a different and a challenge and after yesterday seing you guys put it in action I think it was. My apologies about the swim mat, they were there at the gate but they didn't function so we ended up combining run 2/ swim/ run 3 for triathletes. i want to thank all you guys for making the race happen and there was definitely a loaded field to say the least. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [sbrreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrreynolds wrote:
So how's everyone feeling today after the first Survival of the Mills. Glad to hear the positive comments as the creator I tried to make sure every detail was covered. Sorry can't control water temperature&#128513;. When I designed it I wanted to be a different and a challenge and after yesterday seing you guys put it in action I think it was. My apologies about the swim mat, they were there at the gate but they didn't function so we ended up combining run 2/ swim/ run 3 for triathletes. i want to thank all you guys for making the race happen and there was definitely a loaded field to say the least. Thanks

My legs are killing me. I can walk upstairs reasonably well, but I can barely get down the stairs. That's what you get when your long run of the year was a 10km at NJ Triathlon in July.

I think I went from "race mode" (although Jason might say I am never in race mode) to "survival mode" somewhere on the third run. Probably what you planned.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for a really good time, beautiful venue, good vibe and a tough course. Next year I'll bring a swim cap, live and learn. Most fun I have had at a race in a long time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ross,

Just want to say I had an absolute blast yesterday. Your race was awesome and so much fun. Thanks for putting it on. A great change up from the typical S/B/R races. My calves are pretty sore today.

Don't think you should really change much with the race - everything worked out so well and the course was perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [J Gers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ross, you don't have to change a thing. it was great as it was. if you feel compelled to change things you could:

- change one of the bike legs to mtn bike. change both and make it an xterra event. i'd still come.
- have two swims (why the hell not, you have two bikes).
- drop a bike leg and incorporate some of that badass Army Ranger equipment that the boy scouts have. you could have a wicked tough Spartan race.

i vote for two swims because the runs to-and-from the lake were the best part. that was some messed up $%@#$^. i can see why you like that property.

Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the second half of the run TO the lake is the run course of XTERRA Jersey Devil. Most of the other runs along the wider jeep trail-ish area are the bike course for XTERRA.
I'd like to see more swims, but I think it's at a good point now in that it's relatively straightforward while still being pretty out of the ordinary. I suppose you could make the final run a bit shorter, but another swim adds probably a minimum of 3.5 mi of running even if you take a more direct route. That'll make the race quite a bit longer, but right now it's short enough that you're going to get more than just 20 hardmen. That might make for cool stories, but the race wouldn't last a whole lot longer.
I'm torn on the timing of this, too. I think the end of season part of it is good, because it's at the time of year when people have probably finished their A race and are less concerned about specific fitness and whatnot, but it also means the water is DAMN COLD (as was the air until the second run or so), which could scare some people off. If you add a second swim, I think it has to be earlier in the year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No soreness yesterday. But, man, in the morning I was exhausted. I made it to the pool later for a 1500 easy steady swim. That 82 degree water never felt so Good!

Great job with everything, Ross, your race doesn't need any changes. It gives short course racers a new experience. Everyone at the finish was thrilled with it. But, there's always a but, you've got to give out swim caps. Next year I'll be using a neoprene cap.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ross, the race was a blast, thanks for all of your hard work in getting this event up and running! I don't think you need to change a thing, the course, venue, distances, etc were all just right. Based on the comments I was hearing from a lot of people post race, you're gonna have a lot of good word of mouth publicity and I would expect a larger field next year.
Please say thanks to all of the volunteers that were out there on Sunday, they were fantastic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for all the feedback, as for now I will be keeping pretty much everything the same. Some minor changes with timing of 5k race, it will most likely go off earlier and be down before you guys start. I hope this race grows for next year and I will have to figure out how many the trails are capable of holding, but in my mind that is a great thing! One big addition for next year will be to clear your afternoon schedule as there will be some post race refreshments...beer garden, keg....! Thanks again and any suggestions just message me. Good luck to anyone still racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lame-ass duathlete here who really wanted to do this race (and get his keister kicked by the usual suspects, Messrs. Dixon, Hallman and Smith) but Sundays in the fall are tied up coaching youth cross country.
Any chance the race could be moved to Saturday in 2015? Or maybe an earlier start time on Sunday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread because this race is just around the corner...and I just learned the other day that I won't be able to make it back to defend the title because I'm on call that weekend. So anybody on the fence about it, I say DO IT. Also, now I'll answer the logistical/transition questions in a public forum because I don't have to worry about divulging very important secrets to defending the title.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the fence - but I've seen the water temp last year was somewhere between "COLD" and "DAMN COLD" -- are we talking sub 60 degree water temperature?
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
On the fence - but I've seen the water temp last year was somewhere between "COLD" and "DAMN COLD" -- are we talking sub 60 degree water temperature?

There were some who swam it without any wetsuit bits, so I don't think it was sub-60. I threw on a T1 top. My feet got a bit cold by the end (after 11 minutes or so).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:

I had been going back and forth with Ken Barbee and Jason Gers until we hit the run 2 to swim transition. I didn't put on a wetsuit. Never saw them again. I had planned on double-capping it at least, but I struggled enough putting my goggles on while running the last 150m, so I said the hell with the caps. I survived.
ETA: What I did, and what I thought the right decision for the day was (air temps were mid 50s, I want to say) was:
Thin (so not super bulky, but not that easy to get on) gloves through bike 1.
Arm warmers through run 2, then I think I put them back on for run 3 and bike 2 I believe. I think it warmed up enough that I peeled them off for the final run.
I brought my goggles with me for run 2, down to the water, and put them on in the last few hundred meters of the run. I've done this every backwards race and double super sprint I've done as well. I tuck them into the shoulder strap of my suit. I brought them back as well.
Slightly bulkier, looser, warmer, easy to put on quickly gloves for run 2 (to the lake) and run 3(from the lake). Coming out of that water is super disorienting, and it's definitely cold. I believe I went glove-less for bike 2, as it had begun to warm up by then, and I know I didn't wear any gloves for the final run.
Lastly, I wore my Pure Connects for the first run, but Brooks Cascadia trail shoes for all the other runs. I was definitely glad to have them for the last run for sure, which had some slick when wet logs and bridges.

Last edited by: iank: Sep 23, 15 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
NJSteve wrote:

I had been going back and forth with Ken Barbee and Jason Gers until we hit the run 2 to swim transition. I didn't put on a wetsuit. Never saw them again. I had planned on double-capping it at least, but I struggled enough putting my goggles on while running the last 150m, so I said the hell with the caps. I survived.
ETA: What I did, and what I thought the right decision for the day was (air temps were mid 50s, I want to say) was:
Thin (so not super bulky, but not that easy to get on) gloves through bike 1.
Arm warmers through run 2, then I think I put them back on for run 3 and bike 2 I believe. I think it warmed up enough that I peeled them off for the final run.
I brought my goggles with me for run 2, down to the water, and put them on in the last few hundred meters of the run. I've done this every backwards race and double super sprint I've done as well. I tuck them into the shoulder strap of my suit. I brought them back as well.
Slightly bulkier, looser, warmer, easy to put on quickly gloves for run 2 (to the lake) and run 3(from the lake). Coming out of that water is super disorienting, and it's definitely cold. I believe I went glove-less for bike 2, as it had begun to warm up by then, and I know I didn't wear any gloves for the final run.
Lastly, I wore my Pure Connects for the first run, but Brooks Cascadia trail shoes for all the other runs. I was definitely glad to have them for the last run for sure, which had some slick when wet logs and bridges.

Bumping this thread back to page 1. Less than 2 weeks til race day, c'mon & sign up. You won't regret it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread to page 1.
The 3rd Annual Survival of the Mills race is just over 3 weeks out, October 9th. This is a super fun race and a great way to close out the season.
Everyone who has done this race has raved about it so don't let another season end without finding out for yourselves how much fun suffering can be!
Plus great beer at the finish!

http://www.survivalofthemills.com/

https://runsignup.com/...n/SurvivaloftheMills

klehner wrote:
Tired of those south Jersey races that make it feel like Groundhog Day?

How about a run/bike/run/swim/run/bike/run triathlon, with each run being a different route over roads, trails, etc. inside a park. If the lake is cold, you'll have to decide whether to put on wetsuit stuff or just HTFU and save time. 8.35 miles of running, .4mi of swimming, 18mi of biking. Favoring the good runners, but I'm doing it anyway. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Survival of the Mills, on 10/12 (yes, the water might be cold). A poor man's version of SOS.

Here's a cute video of the final 5km run course.

(I am not affiliated with the race in any way, just trying to generate interest in something different)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4th Edition of SOTM race is this Sunday September 24th. If you want to try something a little different and maybe get out of your comfort zone, give this race a tri (or du). Weather this year should be great and the water will still be warm so why not?

ddixon wrote:
Bumping this thread to page 1.
The 3rd Annual Survival of the Mills race is just over 3 weeks out, October 9th. This is a super fun race and a great way to close out the season.
Everyone who has done this race has raved about it so don't let another season end without finding out for yourselves how much fun suffering can be!
Plus great beer at the finish!

http://www.survivalofthemills.com/

https://runsignup.com/...n/SurvivaloftheMills

klehner wrote:
Tired of those south Jersey races that make it feel like Groundhog Day?

How about a run/bike/run/swim/run/bike/run triathlon, with each run being a different route over roads, trails, etc. inside a park. If the lake is cold, you'll have to decide whether to put on wetsuit stuff or just HTFU and save time. 8.35 miles of running, .4mi of swimming, 18mi of biking. Favoring the good runners, but I'm doing it anyway. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Survival of the Mills, on 10/12 (yes, the water might be cold). A poor man's version of SOS.

Here's a cute video of the final 5km run course.

(I am not affiliated with the race in any way, just trying to generate interest in something different)
Quote Reply

Prev Next