Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Trecca17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody has experience with this race because it's the first time.
The rest of your questions are generally answerable by perusing around the website for a bit, but basically:
There's one "main" transition area, except that you have to run to and from the lake. You'll start and finish the one swim in the same spot, so no, you don't have to leave your shoes on.

I understand the need to have all the every little detail figured out, but at the same time, I think this is the sort of thing that Fleck and Slowman say all the time. For once, we're presented with something out of the box, and instead we're too worried about whether the gear will be all in one spot or it'll be logistically difficult. I can attest to Ross's ability to put on a race, that he'll have everything planned out, so there's no need to sweat the details for fear that the RD won't.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Appreciate the info and I will check out the website.

Totally agree with your last point. Always getting bogged down in the details takes away from the challenge sometimes.

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddixon wrote:
klehner wrote:
ddixon wrote:
klehner wrote:
Tired of those south Jersey races that make it feel like Groundhog Day?

How about a run/bike/run/swim/run/bike/run triathlon, with each run being a different route over roads, trails, etc. inside a park. If the lake is cold, you'll have to decide whether to put on wetsuit stuff or just HTFU and save time. 8.35 miles of running, .4mi of swimming, 18mi of biking. Favoring the good runners, but I'm doing it anyway. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Survival of the Mills, on 10/12 (yes, the water might be cold). A poor man's version of SOS.

Here's a cute video of the final 5km run course.

(I am not affiliated with the race in any way, just trying to generate interest in something different)

bump - trying to get some love for this potentially awesome new event!

Well done.

For those of use Real Athletes (™) who are doing the triathlon instead of the lame-ass duathletes, figuring out the clothes to wear during the race will be the eighth leg.

What's to figure out? Real Athletes (TM) shouldn't need to do anything more than rock the Speedo! :-)

Word. Ken is a wuss. Not enough squats these days apparently.

Everybody knows duathlons are WAAAAAY harder than tri's.

Lemme see if:
a - I can get a day pass from the Boss (not Springsteen)
b - I'm not dinged up from Ragnar this weekend; having semi-chronic Mad Calf Disease is getting really, really old
(as am I - likely highly correlated.)

Would be nice to crush just a few more dreams on the P5 before I hang it up for the winter.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
''Everybody knows duathlons are WAAAAAY harder than tri's.''

Yeah but with the swim in the middle that argument goes out the window. I'm in the Du and the way I see it, while those guys are out there trying to chop a hole in the ice for the swim, I'll just run by, nice and warm

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Trecca17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trecca17 wrote:
Saw this on some flyer I got. Was thinking about it but have no idea what the gear strategy is. Is there one main transition that you keep returning to or are there multiple transition sites? Do you swim with running shoes on? I'm confused.

Anyone with inside info/experience?

There is one transition area between the run and bike legs. After the second leg (bike), you run to the lake, where you can have some stuff (wetsuit if you need it). Since the swim finishes where it starts, you don't have to carry anything like your shoes. You swim, then you put your shoes back on and run back to the transition area where you finish the last bike/run legs.

Check out the leg descriptions on the web site.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How far is it from NYC?, this looks like fun.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowAmericano wrote:

The web site has all the location and direction info.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowAmericano wrote:

Google maps told me it's 2:20 from Nassau County but remember, it doesn't start until 9am so there is plenty of time.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think I'm in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Yeah but with the swim in the middle that argument goes out the window. I'm in the Du and the way I see it, while those guys are out there trying to chop a hole in the ice for the swim, I'll just run by, nice and warm

Whaaa? Dude, the race is October 12th not January 12th. Real Athletes (TM) shouldn't even need a wetsuit. Even us LAD's should be fine with just a trisuit.
Race sounds like a great, fun way to end the season, kudos to Ross for putting this on!
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy_M wrote:
That sounds like just my cup o' tea. I'd be in if I weren't getting married that weekend.

Pish. I got married 9/7/1996, and this was the next day (I crossed the finish line with a bunch of beer cans trailing behind me). Still married.

Dude, you gotta set expectations early!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! You are Registered
Race Information

Race: Survival of the Mills

i suspect this is gonna hurt .......
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Congratulations! You are Registered
Race Information

Race: Survival of the Mills

i suspect this is gonna hurt .......

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddixon wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Whaaa? Dude, the race is October 12th not January 12th. Real Athletes (TM) shouldn't even need a wetsuit. Even us LAD's should be fine with just a trisuit.
Race sounds like a great, fun way to end the season, kudos to Ross for putting this on!

If it's anything like today in NJ, I'll be regretting not doing the swim. My wife and I went over there for a wedding last night then did the ride from Sea Girt along the ocean to Ft Handcock in Sandy Hook and back. Man, it was like a summer day. Belmar was jumping like it was the middle of July not the end of September.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been on my radar screen since DQ events announced the race at the beginning of the season! Plan to skip the swim and do the du. Really looking forward to it! Only two weeks away!

DQ Events put on great races at reasonable cost. You don't get alot of extra frills but you can be assured of a safe course and great racing!
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
This has been on my radar screen since DQ events announced the race at the beginning of the season! Plan to skip the swim and do the du. Really looking forward to it! Only two weeks away!

DQ Events put on great races at reasonable cost. You don't get alot of extra frills but you can be assured of a safe course and great racing!

Just a minor clarification, although the race is listed on the DQ Events site, Ross Reynolds is the RD and he will put on a great race.
2 weeks from today, come on Mid atlantic tri/du guys and gals, lets support this new race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOTM (Survival of the Mills) is shaping up and going to be ONE EPIC EVENT! Thanks for all the chatter and help in getting the word out. When I created this race it was supposed to be challenging and something out of the ordinary and I promise you it will be! I know the course and race itself will be fun and challenging but one thing I cant control is mother nature. Either way I feel it will earn it's SURVIVAL namesake.
Hope to see everyone on the 12th. Ross Reynolds (SOTM RD)
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [sbrreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ross, thanks for putting this all together. I have a feeling this race will be a 'must do' in the years to come. Can't wait for the inaugural edition on the 12th!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded to the tri. No sense missing out on a splash in the Pine Barrens cedar water. No sense? That's the whole reason I'm doing this in the first place. About a week and a half away, I can't wait!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought my race season was over but this sounds pretty awesome. Hoping I can make it a day trip from NYC.

Question for anyone with ankle rolling issues (I have nerve damage and drop foot from two spine surgeries) - has any found an ankle brace that is effective at preventing rolling issues on trail runs yet flexible enough to race in? I've stopped trail runnign since the injury and roll my ankle quite frequently with the slightest uneven surface. Not being able to run off the pavement is a deal breaker with life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
checking in

the weather looks decent for mid October. probably high 50s, maybe low 60s, no rain. the website says the lake was 72 degrees on Sept 30th and that's the wild card. the water will probably be high 60s on game day. i don't want to freeze but i just can't imagine doing a trail duathlon, even one this short, and then getting into my wetsuit. or at least TRYING to get into it. talk about a hot mess.

plans? disingenuous sabotaging suggestions?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High 60s=no wetsuit. ITU uses 68 as the cutoff and they seem to be ok with it.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
checking in

the weather looks decent for mid October. probably high 50s, maybe low 60s, no rain. the website says the lake was 72 degrees on Sept 30th and that's the wild card. the water will probably be high 60s on game day. i don't want to freeze but i just can't imagine doing a trail duathlon, even one this short, and then getting into my wetsuit. or at least TRYING to get into it. talk about a hot mess.

I'm thinking HTFU. Maybe bring a swim cap and goggles, but going with the Liftfoil for the whole race.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
checking in

I'm thinking HTFU. Maybe bring a swim cap and goggles, but going with the Liftfoil for the whole race.

see? that's why i come to slowtwich. for the camaraderie and the sage wisdom. ;-)

iank: good point about the ITU and 68 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [sbrreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrreynolds wrote:
SOTM (Survival of the Mills) is shaping up and going to be ONE EPIC EVENT! Thanks for all the chatter and help in getting the word out. When I created this race it was supposed to be challenging and something out of the ordinary and I promise you it will be! I know the course and race itself will be fun and challenging but one thing I cant control is mother nature. Either way I feel it will earn it's SURVIVAL namesake.
Hope to see everyone on the 12th. Ross Reynolds (SOTM RD)

I see that the entries are rolling in today!

How will you arrange the bags by the lake? I would assume also that anything we want back we'll have to put in the bag before we start stage 5 (the run after the swim).

Any update on the water temp? You should have cameras there to capture people putting on wetsuits while the clock is running: now that will be EPIC!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next