Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [sbrreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrreynolds wrote:
SOTM (Survival of the Mills) is shaping up and going to be ONE EPIC EVENT! Thanks for all the chatter and help in getting the word out. When I created this race it was supposed to be challenging and something out of the ordinary and I promise you it will be! I know the course and race itself will be fun and challenging but one thing I cant control is mother nature. Either way I feel it will earn it's SURVIVAL namesake.
Hope to see everyone on the 12th. Ross Reynolds (SOTM RD)

How technical are the trails? Bring trial shoes or would racing flats work? I suspect with today's rain, things will be awesomely, damn muddy and I am looking forward to ending the season with an epic good time at your race!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trails don't look technical.Check out the video:

It's going to rain for 24 hour the day before, but it's all sand over there. I'll bring two pairs of shoes, but I don't think it will be bad at all.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
The trails don't look technical.Check out the video:

It's going to rain for 24 hour the day before, but it's all sand over there. I'll bring two pairs of shoes, but I don't think it will be bad at all.

"Water temp on 10/8 was 67 degrees."

I may have to reconsider my HTFU stragedy...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even at 67 degrees I still like your htfu strategy, I'm thinking liftfoil all the way as well.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [sbrreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrreynolds wrote:
SOTM (Survival of the Mills) is shaping up and going to be ONE EPIC EVENT! Thanks for all the chatter and help in getting the word out. When I created this race it was supposed to be challenging and something out of the ordinary and I promise you it will be! I know the course and race itself will be fun and challenging but one thing I cant control is mother nature. Either way I feel it will earn it's SURVIVAL namesake.
Hope to see everyone on the 12th. Ross Reynolds (SOTM RD)

Word seems to be getting out and registrations are on the rise. Weather for Sunday looks great, absolutely perfect for a r/b/r/b/r..hopefully all of the Real Athletes (TM) won't suffer too much during the swim :-)

Really looking forward to what should be an awesomely fun race!
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowAmericano wrote:
Even at 67 degrees I still like your htfu strategy, I'm thinking liftfoil all the way as well.

i too bought the HTFU strategy. so if that was your plan all along and you plan to stand there (in your wetsuit) laughing at us, then i promise to pee in your wetsuit. ;-)

kidding, cause i run slow enough that nobody will be at the lake with me.

Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an old QR Shortjohn wetsuit; 20 seconds oon, 10 seconds off. Maybe a jacket for the run after the swim. One pair of socks until the swim, maybe another pair before the second bike. Maybe arm warmers to start, but it was really warm on Long Island so who knows.

My wife is doing the Du; she's bringing everything but the kitchen sink!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

kidding, cause i run slow enough that nobody will be at the lake with me.

One of my friends who is doing the race is likely to be among the first 1-3 guys to get to the lake (the opposite of your situation, but still "nobody there"). He's a notoriously non-straight swimmer, so I'm giving him a hard time about being alone with the buoys until Ken Barbee catches him.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon Ken, 1 degree under ITU cutoff. I've gone surfing in 62* water and been fine. FINA rules extend down to 60 I believe...

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
C'mon Ken, 1 degree under ITU cutoff. I've gone surfing in 62* water and been fine. FINA rules extend down to 60 I believe...

Pretty sure those athletes don't hit the water following 45 minutes of red-line racing...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then your HR and body temp will be nice and high :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm straight jealous of those doing this race. I still have the flier that was left on my car at NJ State hanging on the fridge. I tried and simply can't do it - make it huge so I can be there next year. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [Jerseydave77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jerseydave77 wrote:
I'm straight jealous of those doing this race. I still have the flier that was left on my car at NJ State hanging on the fridge. I tried and simply can't do it - make it huge so I can be there next year. Good luck.

Come on, you're a Jersey guy. Drop everything and get over there! You only get one chance to be at the first one.

Here' what the guys from Animal House would have to say about it:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inspiring, no question. I am certainly embarrassing my screen name by not attending. Internet shaming is well deserved. Ha ha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Jerseydave77 wrote:

Come on, you're a Jersey guy. Drop everything and get over there! You only get one chance to be at the first one.

Here' what the guys from Animal House would have to say about it:

Never thought about it, but here's a list of first-time NJ triathlons I've done, off the top of my head:

Vice-Versa (run/bike/swim)
Escape the Cape
Riverwinds Triathlon
Double Trouble (run/bike/swim/run/bike/swim)
NJ Triathlon
Do the Tri/Try the Du

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn your old

Quote | Reply
the rain has stopped. it will be 54 degrees at gun time.
that means that the lake will be 10 degrees warmer than the air. that's good, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BEST RACE EVER. Well, it certainly competes in my heart with Rev3 Rush, Tri Tri Again, and Escape from Alcatraz (none of which are straight SBR, probably a theme there).
Swimming in that water without a wetsuit or cap was pretty awful, not going to lie. It took 3/4 of a mile after that swim to regain any sort of orientation.

Last edited by: iank: Oct 12, 14 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic race today dude. I was the one running with you down to the lake on the 2nd run. That water was cold with a wetsuit!

I agree - it was a great race. Course sounded a bit confusing in the pre race meeting, but everything worked out great. Well marked and volunteers were awesome. Could not get lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, that was pretty fun morning. the trails to and from the lake were the best part. that and the hyperventalating-ice-cream-headache of the lake.
good times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, great, great way to end the season. Trails were a lot more technical than I thought from the video. Damn that water was cold. Even in my ShortJohn wetsuit my left hand turned to a claw in the first 100 yards. Did I like that? Hell no. Did I love everything else? You bet I did!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
BEST RACE EVER. Well, it certainly competes in my heart with Rev3 Rush, Tri Tri Again, and Escape from Alcatraz (none of which are straight SBR, probably a theme there).
Swimming in that water without a wetsuit or cap was pretty awful, not going to lie. It took 3/4 of a mile after that swim to regain any sort of orientation.

Absolutely agree, this race was awesome! Most fun I've ever had doing a race, even though that last 5k trail run hurt like a mother!
To anyone on the fence about doing this race, you owe it to yourself to come out next year and have a blast!
Quote Reply
Re: NJ Triathletes: support a cool new race [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, did anyone else see that guy running those trails BAREFOOT! And not gently picking his way either, dude was flying! Holy crap, guy must have titanium soles in his feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''even though that last 5k trail run hurt like a mother!''

I thought that ''2miles to go'' sign was the 2 mile sign. A mile later I got to the ''1 mile to go sign''. Man that made it hurt!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddixon wrote:
iank wrote:

Absolutely agree, this race was awesome! Most fun I've ever had doing a race, even though that last 5k trail run hurt like a mother!
To anyone on the fence about doing this race, you owe it to yourself to come out next year and have a blast!

I third this!!! It hurt like hell but you didn't notice b/c you were in the zone trying to pick the best line on the trails! I didn't expect the trails to be so technical either but I loved every minute of it!!!!!
Kudos to the race organizer and I will be back with lots of friends next year!
Quote Reply

Prev Next