Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: doubts about Alistair [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sarcasm. And, yes, of course I have doubts. Would be impossible not to given how long it's been since he's gone gun to tape as the old AB.

I am unabashedly a believer/sentimentalist for the dominant old guard to show the young blood how it's done on their way out. GJ and AB both. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But, I stand by the Miami assessment that it was AB's race to lose and a message was sent nonetheless. He had dropped Laidlow. He had a 1:45 gap to Ditlev and much more to Long. He has the best running palmares of anyone ever in triathlon, including a 28:30 track 10K. If you are any of those guys chasing him on the run, you know the race is lost unless he blows up. Their destiny is out of their hands. And, yes, AB blew up spectacularly. Yet again. But that does not change the fact that those guys know AB had them beat. You think that won't be in Ditlev's head the next time they line up toe to toe?

But, yeah, you're only as good as your last race and it's been a long time since AB had a good one gun to wire, so maybe it never actually happens again.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Not sarcasm. And, yes, of course I have doubts. Would be impossible not to given how long it's been since he's gone gun to tape as the old AB.

But, yeah, you're only as good as your last race and it's been a long time since AB had a good one gun to wire, so maybe it never actually happens again.
His race in Nice was the last one, getting on for 5 years ago. He was super strong in the second half of the run finishing off down La Promenade des Anglais in the Sunday sun, behind Iden.
I agree with your analysis.
Except I don't think Ditlev (assume ahead out of T2) will be running scared. He'll just run his race and if it's 'old AB' he'll discover that at the pass. But then Ditlev will not give up: look how Laundry kept faith at Oceanside (22), not phased by the double gold medallist striding away, and pushed on with 2 miles to go.
If he planned to try to race Kona a second time, that's now looking more difficult, given his contractual T100 commitments.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 200km gravel bike race today, anyone know where he came?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Thing is everyone who's followed Ali's career knows even a 80% fit returning from injury Ali still wins races.

There are at least signs now for me that he's not going to be as dominant as he was, all those injuries were bound to take their toll eventually.

And being 36.

Not many athletes than win back to back gold Olympic medals are still at the top of the sport at 36.

Even Phelps called it quits at 31.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ali is on the start list for The Gralloch UCI gravel race in Scotland next week. Hope he does race, as he's also down to do a talk on the evening before the race with Alex Dowsett, Nathan Haas and Nico Roche.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Ali is on the start list for The Gralloch UCI gravel race in Scotland next week. Hope he does race, as he's also down to do a talk on the evening before the race with Alex Dowsett, Nathan Haas and Nico Roche.

He's on the start list For San Fran, but can't run through injury at the moment, chances of him being run fit in 1 months time???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When was the last time Ali was run fit? I imagine he'll to his usual 2:50 first k then slow down from there.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Not many athletes win back to back gold Olympic medals
Tru-dat.
Endurance (running 1500m+, walking, swimming (1500m and OW), cycling (ITT), triathlon) only:
Virén
Bikila
Cierpinski
Coe
Farah
Gebrselassie
Bekele
Kipchoge
Kipyegon
Korzeniowski (btbtb)
Dibaba
Perkins
Hackett
Bennett
Ledecky btbtb
Ekimov
Brownlee
Bonus: Murray (tennis, much longer than marathon or tri)
Quote Reply

Prev Next