Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with these? No engineering required and they look pretty damn aero to me.

https://www.suplest.ch/.../road-pro-aero-01045

The problem is that they are lace-up underneath the zipped aero cover, so not very practical for fast transitions.

Link to photo

Remove laces and glue the 2 layers together and just use zipper?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get a deal for €125 on a pair of the Giro SLX (EC90 model) ... seems like a bargain.
Is this currently still considered a viable option for an aero tri-shoe (quarter/HIM)?
Or are there any better alternatives around this price-point nowadays?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the random event that anyone should care what I did to these shoes... and I wish I had taken a picture, but I wanted to not permanently modify the shoes. I put thin elastic laces on the shoes, then put a piece of gorilla tape across the laces and tongue, attaching that tape to just one side of the shoe’s lace eyelets. I wrapped that around the top of the tongue of the shoe and then down the inside, so that one side of the tongue was taped to that same side of the shoe, but the other side of the tongue could still slide back and forth to accommodate sizing and sliding my foot in. The gorilla tape covered all but a little of one side of the elastic laces which made it look aero! And the tape kept the tongue from sliding down inside the shoe when I put my foot in. Once the race was over I removed the tape and put the regular laces back in. Only tried it for one race but it worked fine.

My redneck solution to the rubber band attachment was to remove one of the screws for the heel plates, and put a paper clip between the heel plate and the sole of the shoe. Then I had a small bit of paper clip loop sticking out the back to hook the rubber band on to.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the duck tape idea...

But the paper clip under the heal screw idea is a nice add. Thanks for that!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about for next season just sewing the tongue to one side of the shoe. I like having the full length of the tongue because I feel like it helps me slide my foot past the laces, and by only attaching it to one side of the shoe, the shoe can still expand to let your foot in. It should still keep the tongue from sliding down, especially if I can attach the laces to the tongue as well. But the duct tape wasn’t as terrible as it sounded!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against duck tape or your usage of it. It's just not I the same league as the paper clip idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a photo!!!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With TT not needing a quick shoe lacing, what’s the consensus speed wise of just flat laces versus using an adult “soccer lace cover” over the laces?

You can get those for like $4 a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a reply to you specifically. Just posting my version of the concept in this thread.

I picked up a pair of Giro Empire E70 Knit for $100 this spring and removed the tongues by cutting a few stitches. I initially added some ROUND elastic laces (because that's all Walmart had). The round laces proved to be not-so-comfy on the bare feet and probably not-so-aero. I've since swapped out to proper flat elastic laces.

I also stitched a small loop on the heel to give me something to hook rubber bands to.

The knit material is excellent comfort wise. They are, by far, the lightest shoes I've ever owned. It feels like I'm just wearing socks, but with a stiff sole.

I can get into and out of them faster than a traditional tri shoe with Velcro closures, yet I've never once had my foot slide around on a hard effort or climb.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Shoe credit to Thomas Gerlach (original idea and the suggestion to leave half the tongue). Took them to my local shoe repair shop. He charged $16 and they turned out great. Will mess with the tension of the elastic, but am pleased with how they turned out.

I’m ready to take the plunge on the Empires and find your modifications appealing. I appreciate the clean finish and practical application.

Would you do anything differently if you were setting up your shoes today?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is scared of modifying 300$ shoes, I did it to a pair of DHB Dorica road shoes. https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-dorica-road-shoe-1/

I bought them three months ago for 50 (they're more now). But they work. Granted, not nearly as nice as the Empire, but I just wanted to see if I would like the lace set up. I may switch to Empires next seasons, but I've done one olympic and one half-iron so far. They're way easier to get into than my old Bont Riots. Plus I use them for every trainer session.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve gone halfway and cut the tongue partially half way up and glued to the outside. Then xpand laces on the other side to allow me to put them on and keep them tight.

NB currently too snug to put on while riding, will be putting them on in T1
Last edited by: Donokourov: Oct 3, 19 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Donokourov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bit the bullet and cut the tongue a few months ago.

Elastic laces (skipping every other hole). At the top I tied off a knot at the end of each to keep it in place, then trimmed off the excess and singed it with a lighter.

Works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
I bit the bullet and cut the tongue a few months ago.

Elastic laces (skipping every other hole). At the top I tied off a knot at the end of each to keep it in place, then trimmed off the excess and singed it with a lighter.

Works great.

Exactly what i did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How tight are the shoes on your feet?

I bought cheap DHB laced shoes and was riding with them for a few months. Mid session I switched back to my Bont Vaypor Classics (the laced ones, carbon sole, heat moldable) and it was night and day. The chepa shoes are straight garbage.

Is there a way to get the shoe to really hug your foot without being so snug that I cant get my feet in after T1?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not about laces, but does anyone have experience with the updated upper? Looks like they switched from a synthetic leather upper to Synchwire (which they use in the Imperial road shoe). I'm guessing this will make them a bit more breathable and keep them from getting 'soggy.' But does it affect sockless comfort at all?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice looking shoes

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have em. Can’t get to like em. Might need to go 1/2sz bigger. They are warmer than my bontrager tri shoes. They also dented in the toe somehow.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking shoe know. Few people with them that like them.

I was going to buy them just for IMFL but was going to be so cold just wore road shoes. Probably buy these next year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them and I prefer them over the originals. They do feel more breathable and bit wider than the originals. I used them in kona and had no issues.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just found a cheap pair of SLX and am looking to set them up for flying mounts per this thread.

I'm wondering if anyone who has used the zipper option can provide feedback after LT use? Are you still using same system?

Elastic laces seem to work but zipper seems even better!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [bluebottle81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the zipper option in this thread? I use a pair of ACCs and we just bought a pair of older SLXs for my wife, which I was planning on using elastic for as well but I like the concept of a zipper.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [bluebottle81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluebottle81 wrote:
I've just found a cheap pair of SLX and am looking to set them up for flying mounts per this thread.

I'm wondering if anyone who has used the zipper option can provide feedback after LT use? Are you still using same system?

Elastic laces seem to work but zipper seems even better!

AJ Baucco had a bomber pair of zippers made. I forget how he liked them. I am sure I made comment in this thread somewhere but I suspect zippers are tough. Part of the beauty of elastic is it naturally expands and contracts and the foot will swell while riding, especially if you are consuming a lot of salt and it is a hot day. You could always send AJ a message, I may send this post to him for feedback.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Is the zipper option in this thread?

There are quite a few examples. AJ Baucco's is here. Another couple of my favourites:

• From ni31mo I think these look the business but worry about flexibility per Thomas' comment:

• From aoja, these use elastic which would help the flexibility issue:

Quote Reply

Prev Next